Thread: Instrument cluster stop working? DSC, ABS, BRAKE lights on? Try this first.

My Cars
    Looking

Instrument cluster stop working? DSC, ABS, BRAKE lights on? Try this first.

Today my 540i's instrument cluster stopped working while I was driving. The speedometer and RPM's dropped to zero at first. Next came a "check coolant" message on the OBC, then the DSC, ABS, and BRAKE light came on. Next, the temp gauge pegged to HOT, which scared the s**t out of me since I just replaced the coolant system.

I pulled over and ran test #7 on the OBC which read 104C, which is normal, but then it went to -128C. I scrolled over to RPMs and it read 65,545, to which my wife replied "vtec must have kicked in", haha.

So, I was at a loss, I putted the car home and turned it off. I found it weird that even though my headlight switch was in the off position and the key was out of the ignition, my angel eyes remained illuminated. After doing some research I concluded it was probably an ABS sensor, wheel speed sensor, or the ABS module itself. That is, until I stumbled upon this video:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmR9ul9Q7aM[/ame]

Same exact problem. I went out and grounded the harness with some wire and everything returned to normal. I explored further and loosened the grounding bolt. As soon as it lost contact my AE's lit up, and as soon as it grounded they turned off.

If you encounter a problem like this, give this a try before spending $300 to rebuild your ABS module, or $550 for a new one. It could save you a lot of money and the headache of trying to troubleshoot everything.
    Last edited by MATT0404; 11-12-2009 at 09:11 AM.

My Cars
    98 528i 00 ML430
    I have seen this before and preached it on this forum.

My Cars
    Looking
    Really? I couldn't find anything about it when I was searching. I came across a few posts where people said that it could be a ground, but nothing specific. If nothing else, hopefully this thread just makes it more searchable and helps someone else out.

My Cars
    2003/E39/525iM/70k
    thanks for the post i'll add it, so that when this happens I won't freak out!

Old car->1992/E34/525iA/70k

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    Have you tried unbolting the grounds where they connect and wire brush clean everything? That ground point should be working, so I would try to clean it up thoroughly before jumping to a "work around" as a solution. Though rare on a newer car, this is a pretty common issue on 10+ year old cars, and going through all the chassis grounds taking them apart, cleaning and reassembly is a good idea.

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by f355spider View Post
    Have you tried unbolting the grounds where they connect and wire brush clean everything? That ground point should be working, so I would try to clean it up thoroughly before jumping to a "work around" as a solution. Though rare on a newer car, this is a pretty common issue on 10+ year old cars, and going through all the chassis grounds taking them apart, cleaning and reassembly is a good idea.
    Oh yeah, I removed the bolt and found it was clean and free of corrosion. I reinstalled the bolt and tightened it back down and it was fine. I wouldn't leave it with alligator clips as a long-term solution. I should have clarified that in my post.
    Last edited by MATT0404; 10-11-2009 at 03:10 PM.

My Cars
    M550iX, 540M-Sport, Scud
    No, I realize you would use a proper set up for a permanent solution, I am just trying to figure out what could be wrong with the factory ground point that is causing the issue. But good to find such a simple solution.

Have any of you seen these aftermarket grounding kits that allow you to add additional grounds from various points on the engine to the chassis? Say from where the coils ground and from fuel pump and other areas. Even almost new cars can sometimes benefit and show improvements on the dyno. I was surprised to say the least.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    Ummmmmmm anyone have the locations for the abs module ground wires?! There's so many it's weird.

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by RXWLLMSS View Post
    Ummmmmmm anyone have the locations for the abs module ground wires?! There's so many it's weird.
    The ABS module, from what I understand, grounds to this specific point on the passenger side of the engine compartment. That's what causes the ABS, BRAKE, and DSC lights to come on. Also, I believe this will also throw ABS module malfunction codes when scanned.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528i
    It didn't work! im so sad. it's been 2 years with this problem. i was so stoked when i read this i ran downstairs and tried it. fail. thanks for the info matt.

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by RXWLLMSS View Post
    It didn't work! im so sad. it's been 2 years with this problem. i was so stoked when i read this i ran downstairs and tried it. fail. thanks for the info matt.
    Sorry it didn't work out for you.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 97 318Ti
    This just happened to me with the exact symptoms in the video in the first link and it was that exact ground spot. I took out the bolts and cleaned off the dirt then sanded it down a bit. Put it back together and bam, back in business!

So far I only let the car idle for a few minutes and everything seems a-ok so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sold95 M3 - Ground Control Track/School coilovers | Eibach Sway bars | Powerdyne supercharger | Dinan Exhaust | WAR Chip

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Great post! I had the DSC/ABS problem intermittently at the beginning of last spring. The symptoms are a little different, but I'm going to try this anyway to rule it out.

Thanks.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Keep us updated James..

Excellent thread Matt.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by nine9six View Post
    This just happened to me with the exact symptoms in the video in the first link and it was that exact ground spot. I took out the bolts and cleaned off the dirt then sanded it down a bit. Put it back together and bam, back in business!

So far I only let the car idle for a few minutes and everything seems a-ok so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    Great post! I had the DSC/ABS problem intermittently at the beginning of last spring. The symptoms are a little different, but I'm going to try this anyway to rule it out.

Thanks.
    Hope it works for you. Give us an update when you can.

Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Keep us updated James..

Excellent thread Matt.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 97 318Ti
    After driving mine for about 40 miles or so, everything works most of the time. There was this period of 2 to 3 minutes where everything died again but then it came back up. I am hoping it is because I didn't clean the ground area enough. I will take it apart and clean it more later today.

Sold95 M3 - Ground Control Track/School coilovers | Eibach Sway bars | Powerdyne supercharger | Dinan Exhaust | WAR Chip

My Cars
    '02 540i
    Since your connection seems to be a tad fussy, consider adding a redundant ground to the mix to put the whole issue to bed. The cause could be further down than the bolt. Could be bad connection between body panel and front clip- who knows. I would just add a redundant ground from the bolt to another clean spot. This was a great find guys. Good work.

My Cars
    528i 2000, x5 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by MATT0404 View Post

Hope it works for you. Give us an update when you can.

I tried it on mine yesterday. It didn't work. But my symptoms are different.

My Cars
    E39 540/6
    You just saved me a buttload of trouble with that video. I was working on the SAP over the last few days and I had to take my AFE intake out to access the valve and I never tighted the ground tight enough so I had those same symptoms. I was getting ready to check the two front wheel speed sensors since I had the front wheels and the bumper off...phewwww...thanks man.

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by 98 528i View Post
    You just saved me a buttload of trouble with that video. I was working on the SAP over the last few days and I had to take my AFE intake out to access the valve and I never tighted the ground tight enough so I had those same symptoms. I was getting ready to check the two front wheel speed sensors since I had the front wheels and the bumper off...phewwww...thanks man.
    Glad it helped!

My Cars
    The 6 Train
    I have these exact symptoms. I'm going to go try this.

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread.

My Cars
    Looking
    Quote Originally Posted by Macht[030] View Post
    I have these exact symptoms. I'm going to go try this.

I realize I'm resurrecting an old thread.
    Let us know if it works for you. Good luck!

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    Can't hurt I will give it a try before anything else since its free