Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Interesting post on Leatherique: User did NOT like it

My Cars
    Wuper Tuper Fuper

Interesting post on Leatherique: User did NOT like it

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yes, mine removed the dye from the armrest as well. Read my post from yesterday.

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...68#post1339368

I'm switching leather conditioners after this. Good to know that I won't be getting a refund...

Ryan Windley | Mech./Packaging Engineer | Frito-Lay R&D
    1995 ///M3 Coupe
    | Cosmos Black Metallic | Black
    Go: Dinan CAI | Chip | Fan Delete
    Stop: Euro Floating Rotors
    Susp: Blisteins | H&R OE Sports | GC RSMs | UUC TMEs | 96+ RTAB & GC Shims | X-Brace
    Misc: Understeer SSK | Clutch Stop | JTD Underpanel | ///M Oil Cap
    Exterior: Clears | Tint | RD Staggered RGRs
    Interior: Lighted Shift Knob | Armrest
    Sound: Clarion Head Unit | MB Quart | JL Audio Stealthboxes

My Cars
    tank
    interesting...
    Sorry... the server is too busy to fulfill your request. Please try again later.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    yes, very. I thought mine was a freak occurence also.

Don't get me wrong, I think the rejuvenator worked great, but it seems that one of four things happened...

1) The pristine clean took the dye off the armrest.
    2) Putting the conditioner on the armrest made the dye easier to remove.
    3) A chemical reaction of the conditioner and pristine clean removed the dye.
    4) The dye on the armrest is easily removed and should not be cleaned or conditioned with anything more than soap or water.

1995 ///M3 Coupe
    Susp: Blisteins | H&R OE Sports | GC RSMs | UUC TMEs | 96+ RTAB & GC Shims | X-Brace

FWIW, mine was doing the same thing to a lesser degree before I used any Leatherique products. See link. I've since used Lexol a couple times and more recently used Leatherique rejuvinator oil and pristine clean without any noticeable increase in the damage/wear. Nothing but good things to say about the stuff.

I'm not sure what that means except that perhaps there might be other factors involved. For example, my steering wheel dye is pretty messed up and drivers door armrest has a spot where the dye has worn through (just wiped through it with some Lexol about a year ago). I believe in my case that the previous owner had some serious sweat/oil issues or perhaps didn't clean/condition the leather enough. The dye might have just been weakened to the point where these cleaners can take it off.

Ironically, I think I'm going to try to use Leatherique dyes to fix my armrest problems...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I've heard good things about their dyes... although I heard the same thing about Leatherique.

FYI, I just bought the car and do not have serious sweat/oil issues. haha

1995 ///M3 Coupe

My Cars
    E30 325is
    Apparently for certain grey leather interiors the Leatherique pristine cleaner can remove the grey color.

I have black leather and have never had any problems. The guy who got me into Leatherique had dove grey interior on his e36 m3, and his seats looked brand new!

Excessive rubbing using any type of cleaner can result in removal of leather color.

The armrest story seems like a case of operator error to me, the dude simply rubbed to much and removed the leather color. With light rubbing there should be no such problems.

Brian
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
    -Carl Sagan

My Cars
    328i
    Interesting indeed....

And worrisome as I am contemplating purchasing this stuff...

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Dallas, the operator in this case was me, and I can tell you that there was no "excessive rubbing." I have a feeling that the armrest is just a sensitive spot for any cleaner being that it feels thinner and more taunt. The armrest on my e34 is different that the 3-series armrest that was explained first.

I still am not "impressed" with Leatherique, although this may be b/c I had a pretty nice interior before I tried it and didn't see "dramatic" results like some people with very worn interiors.

1995 ///M3 Coupe

My Cars
    BMW 540iA
    Me, too. I had the same experience, except it was my seat! Followed the direction to the letter! And my grey leather's color started to come off. It was in perfectly good shape before the rejuvenator oil. Then cleaning off the oil with their cleaner, the color started to come off. I was just rubbing the oil off the seat, not with alot of effort. I was only just a bit peaved! After several efforts to receive some type help or compensation, nothing!! to top it off, my seats don't feel that different and the cleaner smell is not pleasant at all!!

I'm just a bit upset, if you can't tell. You spend $100+, you expect very good results. Obviously, I would NOT RECOMMEND Leatherique. Maybe it's only good for severly worn sun-damaged and neglected leather seats.

We'll see how Zaino, griot and Platinum Ultimate leather products work at 1/10th the price.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yeah, I thought it would smell great (not a big factor in me buying it) but it didn't. Smells like neatsfoot oil, that's it.

I think it's a matter of actually "rejuvenating" the leather. Yeah, I could see that if it was sh**ty to begin with this would help a lot but for leather that's already been taken care of, just keep on keeping on, keep it out of the sun, and save some money!

1995 ///M3 Coupe

My Cars
    E46
    I've got a hunch that your armrest had been resprayed before (before you bought it) and such a strong cleaner took the dye off.

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Coulb be. You can look at it at the next meet. Looks the same exact color as the seats do.

1995 ///M3 Coupe

My Cars
    02 530i, 70 Cuda 440-6
    I have a Dove grey leather interior & armrest. I applied Eagle One spray cleaner to it and let it sit for about 1 minute. I wiped the cleaner off with a damp sponge and the dye came off. Thin dye. I purchased the Scuffmaster dye kit from www.liquidleather.com , my armrest is perfect again. The dye is very thin on the armrest.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Question:

I just used their products on a 2001 Saab, the only other treatments that had been applied were One Lexol (Clean/Cond.) and one Conlloy Hide Food.

After using the Leatherique the seats look great, towels were almost black (seats didn't look that bad before the clean), it is a convert. so lots of dirt gets blown around.

My question is Could it be that the other treatments (which I think some have Petroleum distillates in them could be causing the dye to break down (just a question), then when you add a product that is supposed to soak in and dislodge dirt, it actually causes the dye to come off?

What types of teatments have folks that have had trouble used previous to Leatherique?

I'm just asking the question, as I'm getting ready to try it on a new 2003 525i, going to start someplace that will not be noticed. Since no other products have been on this leather, kind of interested in the result. After reading about how the other products are supposed to work, would like to find something that actually soaks into the leather, and not just stays on the surface.

Any feedback on how some of the products are supposed to work would be useful.

My Cars
    02 530i, 70 Cuda 440-6
    Well, after my experience with Eagle One, I tried a product frorm www.liquidleather.com. I used their Scuffmaster Kit which included the dye for the leather, the cleaner and conditioner. I 1st cleaned the leather, let it dry, and then used their dye. A PERFECT match! Then used their conditioner as directed. It reinstated the original leather smell and the dye is STILL on the armrest 2 years later, it never came off again after using their cleaner and conditioner. A Great product!

Ray

My Cars
    1995 M3
    I don't know what products were used on my leather beforehand since I just bought the car. Sorry.

1995 ///M3 Coupe

My Cars
    2003 525i
    No problem, just trying to figure out if we can figure out if there is something common about the issue. As the leather on the Saab is much nicer now than with the other 2 products I used, so the product seems to be good, just looks to either be that it's 'too' good or that it doesn't react well with some other product.

I'm not real happy with the response from the company that those on the board have received, but that's another issue. Has anyone who has had a issue, asked for help in repair (i.e. dye and help with using it)?

I'm not trying to excuse thier response, just trying to understand why this seems to happen, esp. since it sounds like another product also caused the same issue.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Update:

Completed 3 cars with Leatherique, GREAT success:
    2003 BMW 525i Dove Gray leather, very clean
    2001 Saab 93SE Convert. Sand leather, showing some dirt
    2000 Chrysler Sebring Convert Gray leather, almost black with dirt

Results:
    BMW - no cleaning needed, but made leather much softer
    Saab - Cleaned the dirt off leather and made leather much softer. This car had very little other treatments, Lexol cleaner/Cond. and Connolly hide food both within 3 weeks of the Leatherique, when Leatherique was applied a large amount of dirt was still removed from all seats.
    Chrysler - Had to soak the seats twice, let sit on seats for 24 hours, then cleaned with Prest Clean 3 times. Ten plus 12x12 towels were almost black. Leather now feels like leather, and is almost back to original color. Probably needs another Rejuv Oil, but going to wait a week to let current treatment soak in.

Personally had NO dye removal on any car, hope this helps anyone who is trying to make a decision as to use or not to use Leatherique. I was very worried with both of the Gray Leathers, as a few others have had problems, but no issues at all. The Chrysler was brushed with a stiff brush, and rubbed Very hard to remove dirt.

Good Luck if you decide to use the product.

My Cars
    Been using Lexol and Pinnacle on the leather in my car and no problems like that... Lexol been taking care of my couch too!

My Cars
    FD3S
    Now im scared to even touch Leatherique, but I have a black interior so it shouldnt be that bad right?
    I made money, the firm made money. 2/3 ain't bad.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    All, I can say is I felt the same, but am VERY VERY glad I did, every car I did the leather is much better than before, the Saab had other treatments, but the Leatherique was the only one to get the ground in dirt, as well as some dark stains.

You might give it a try on a small spot, before doing the whole seat.

My Cars
    E30 325is
    Originally posted by Twisty
    Now im scared to even touch Leatherique, but I have a black interior so it shouldnt be that bad right?
    Nothing to worry about Twisty.

I've gone through 2 bottles of the stuff (rejuvenator oil) with nothing but excellent results on black nappa leather.

As far as I know the only complaints have been from light grey colored leather.

Brian
    "To live in the hearts we leave behind is to never die"
    -Carl Sagan

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Yeah, I tend to agree on this theory. My leather is parchment and the others I've heard of having problems were all light colors. I bet black would be no problem.

I have since gone to Meguiars Gold Class Leather Cleaner & Conditioner. Pretty good. I really like the smell. I think it's the Aloe

1995 ///M3 Coupe

My Cars
    FD3S
    How about the stuff from Liquidleather, their product Scuff Master... is that better then the stuff from Leatherique??
    I made money, the firm made money. 2/3 ain't bad.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast