Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DIY Oil Cooler Install

My Cars
    E36.......

DIY Oil Cooler Install

Slowly getting ready for FI so I figured I would need an oil cooler down the road. I bought the hose ends, hose and thermostat from Summit. The oil cooler is from CXRacing and the oil cam from IE. Ended up using (6) -8AN to 3/8" NPT adapters, 6 feet of hose, (6) -8AN straight ends and (2) -8AN 90 degree fittings.

Mount made from some scrap 1/8" mild steel.

Finished assembling hoses.

Few pics of the mount and cooler.

Mount sprayed with high temp paint, just in case.

IE cap

Oil Thermostat

Finished and plumbed
    Last edited by IHMNF; 10-03-2009 at 08:31 PM.

My Cars
    Ex: Avus/M-Tech 95 M3
    Nice job. Looks like a pretty clean setup

Avus/M-Tech

My Cars
    E36.......
    Thanks!! It definately works too. Haven't seen over 190 fahrenheit so far. Was seeing about 220 on the street sometimes.

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    Looks great. I wish IE made a cap with 1/2" ports, as -8AN would be much better. How's the quality on that oil cooler? I was running an 11x8 B&M oil cooler on my MKIII Supra, along with a 180* B&M t-stat w/ SS braided hoses. I've been thinking of using another of the same cooler in that exact location, along with a similar t-stat to what I used before.

You should grab some heat dispersant paint and shoot that cooler black, IMO.

My Cars
    E36.......
    Quote Originally Posted by shaeff View Post
    Looks great. I wish IE made a cap with 1/2" ports, as -8AN would be much better. How's the quality on that oil cooler? I was running an 11x8 B&M oil cooler on my MKIII Supra, along with a 180* B&M t-stat w/ SS braided hoses. I've been thinking of using another of the same cooler in that exact location, along with a similar t-stat to what I used before.

It is -8AN hose and fittings. The oil cooler is fairly good quality. It may not look the best but it definately does the job. I noticed one side of the cooler is a little crooked but after driving over 60mph you can touch the cooler and it is barely warm. I kind of like the look as of now but if I get tired of it I will spray it black.

My Cars
    s/c kraut wagon
    nice i will be doing this in the next week. looks good
    ">

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by IHMNF View Post
    It is -8AN hose and fittings. The oil cooler is fairly good quality. It may not look the best but it definately does the job. I noticed one side of the cooler is a little crooked but after driving over 60mph you can touch the cooler and it is barely warm. I kind of like the look as of now but if I get tired of it I will spray it black.
    I know, but the cap is only 3/8" (-6AN), and since you said you got six adapters from 3/8" -> -8AN, it seems that the cap is 3/8", AND the cooler has 3/8" inlet/outlets. It'll only flow as much as the smallest diameter, which is why I wish they'd make a 1/2" ported cap, rather than having to adapt.

Having -8AN hoses on there is best, but it would be perfect if all openings were 1/2" is all I'm saying. I'm not putting your work down, it looks fantastic, I'm more complaining that I can't find a 1/2" cap. LOL.

My Cars
    are a waste of money
    Glad to see a job done right around here.

My Cars
    E36.......
    I know, but the cap is only 3/8" (-6AN), and since you said you got six adapters from 3/8" -> -8AN, it seems that the cap is 3/8", AND the cooler has 3/8" inlet/outlets. It'll only flow as much as the smallest diameter, which is why I wish they'd make a 1/2" ported cap, rather than having to adapt.

Having -8AN hoses on there is best, but it would be perfect if all openings were 1/2" is all I'm saying. I'm not putting your work down, it looks fantastic, I'm more complaining that I can't find a 1/2" cap. LOL.
    I didn't think you were putting down my work at all. Just a little misunderstanding. I see what your'e saying though it would be ideal to have 1/2 but I couldnt find any manufacturer that had one on the market. One of the greatest things about the IE cap is that when I go turbo I can use the small port in the front for the turbo feed. It's filtered

My Cars
    sig
    Looks good, nice clean install.

If I can make one constructive criticism of the installation-- Oil Cooler cores can be a bit sensitive to how they are secured. You really should support them through both upper and lower wings together, and especially on the fitting side. Most oil coolers fail due to vibration or pulling between the sandwich plates or where the fitting/lines cause traction on the cooler. A safer installation would be to run 1/4" threaded rod through your custom bracket up top all the way through the upper and lower mount wings of the cooler on both sides, using back up nuts all along the way to secure everything together so that it moves as one unit with vibration and not pulling the cooler apart. Even better would be to incorporate the threaded rod all the way down to the A/C cross member. Also make sure those hoses and fittings are really secure to prevent them moving/vibrating, causing stress at the fittings.

This is a picture of a rough test install, but something like this is what I am trying to describe:

Otherwise, good install. Oil cooler looks great, don't bother to spray it black. You won't even notice it after a while and the black paint will only cut down on your thermal efficiency.

Ben
    Last edited by benaj; 10-03-2009 at 11:39 PM.

1995 BMW M3/2: arktissilber with silly stickers // a big boy's track toy, #228 IP-lite/GTS2.
    1998 BMW M3/4: arktissilber with sillier pink motorsport flags // sadly missed ex-daily driver, current track toy for the wife
    2014 Tesla Model S P85D // refreshingly mod-proof
    2014 BMW X1 // 4 banger MSport with a kiss of Dinan
    and the obnoxious towing setup to accommodate two little crazy kiddios and all their stuff that comes along with the family circus on track weekends.

My Cars
    1998 m3 coupe
    ihmn-

Great job on the install. couple random questions.

What color is your car? Looks oddly dark to be arctic...

Also, what is the connector in your coolant line? Is it a coolant heater?
    being is Socal i wouldn't think you'd need that.

anyway, cheerio

My Cars
    S/C'd ///M3, Daytona 675
    If you don't mind sharing - whats the cost break down on this when alls said and done?

My Cars
    E36.......
    Benaj-Thanks for the info on mounting I will do as soon as I can. I never thought about mounting it like that as I've seen kits that only use the top tabs to mount the core.

Tlow98-My car is in fact Arktisgrau 269. It looks darker in my sig because of the lighting. You can see in the install pics that it does appear lighter in the sunlight.
    The connector in my coolant hose is for my temp sensor for my gauge.

ArBrnSnpr-The total with shipping and tax came out to about $430.

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by benaj View Post
    Otherwise, good install. Oil cooler looks great, don't bother to spray it black. You won't even notice it after a while and the black paint will only cut down on your thermal efficiency.
    Not sure if you missed that or not, but there are paints out there that will increase the thermal efficiency of a cooler. It's used on many intercoolers, oil coolers, etc...

I wouldn't recommend him to just paint it black with any paint.

My Cars
    trucks now
    Do you DD the car? Have you considered installing a thermostat?

My Cars
    s/c kraut wagon
    i see a thermostat
    ">

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Very well done. Kudos.

I would (actually, I did) DEFINITELY paint the face of it black with something like Eastwoods radiator paint. Will not affect the efficiency of it at all (may even help).

I know you want to show off your handiwork, and rightfully so, but IMHO, visible silver FMIC's and oil coolers dominate and destroy the aesthetics of the front of the car.
    Garrett

MauiM3Mania is offline Observer/Master Skeptic Moderator
    My Cars
    88M3 99M3 04M3 ITBx16
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    ... but IMHO, visible silver FMIC's and oil coolers dominate and destroy the aesthetics of the front of the car.
    And are often confused for intercoolers.
    04M3 TiAg 69k slick-top 3 pedal
    99M3 Cosmos 61k S50B32 euro 6Spd

88M3 AW 43k miles Project FS

WTB: 3.5" Eurosport/Conforti CAI

My Cars
    sig
    Not sure if you missed that or not, but there are paints out there that will increase the thermal efficiency of a cooler. It's used on many intercoolers, oil coolers, etc...

I wouldn't recommend him to just paint it black with any paint.
    Sorry, I totally missed that earlier post. My mistake.

I must confess to be a bit ignorant about paints that can actually help the thermal efficiency of air-water coolers. You got some handy links to point me in the right direction as to what you were referring to earlier? I know there are paints out there (like Eastwood's) who's manufacturers claim they are thin enough to not interfere, but it is still a paint layer that is going over another paint layer already on the cooler . . . . not ideal.

1995 BMW M3/2: arktissilber with silly stickers // a big boy's track toy, #228 IP-lite/GTS2.
    1998 BMW M3/4: arktissilber with sillier pink motorsport flags // sadly missed ex-daily driver, current track toy for the wife
    2014 Tesla Model S P85D // refreshingly mod-proof
    2014 BMW X1 // 4 banger MSport with a kiss of Dinan
    and the obnoxious towing setup to accommodate two little crazy kiddios and all their stuff that comes along with the family circus on track weekends.

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by benaj View Post
    Sorry, I totally missed that earlier post. My mistake.

I must confess to be a bit ignorant about paints that can actually help the thermal efficiency of air-water coolers. You got some handy links to point me in the right direction as to what you were referring to earlier? I know there are paints out there (like Eastwood's) who's manufacturers claim they are thin enough to not interfere, but it is still a paint layer that is going over another paint layer already on the cooler . . . . not ideal.
    That's quite alright. One of the best I've found to date (a guy on another forum I frequent, who's crazy about coatings and finding the best ones) swears by this stuff:

http://www.techlinecoatings.com/

My Cars
    SOLD
    What did you end up paying for all the parts total? I've been thinking of adding this to my setup as well.
    Shark Edit is coming. When? We do not know

My Cars
    '95 M3 + 86.5T Supra
    Quote Originally Posted by IHMNF View Post
    ArBrnSnpr-The total with shipping and tax came out to about $430.
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidsM3 View Post
    What did you end up paying for all the parts total? I've been thinking of adding this to my setup as well.

My Cars
    2015 435i M Sport
    Silly idea but... how about a tranny cooler?
    BMW CCA Member 186373 - Golden Gate Chapter
    Former (e)Bombe Magazine Editor, "The Toy Box" product review writer | Current member of Team Jesus

Gone: 1995 E36 M3 Arctik Silber, 1996 E36 M3 Cosmos, 1991 E30 318is Cosmos

My Cars
    99 M3-92 Mtech2-Cummins
    nice man... fabbed up with some basic materials, and a really slick outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post
    Silly idea but... how about a tranny cooler?
    ummmmmmm

you cannot put a cooler on something that does not have a pump without a pump being added...

autos have tranny coolers because they circulate fluid.

you need pressure to make the fluid circulate through the cooler.. some cars, Y2k cobra R for example even have diff coolers.
    Last edited by Badgtho is back; 10-04-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

current = '99 Estoril/Mulberry M3 Coupe :: past = '97 Alpine/Anthrazit M3 Coupe

My Cars
    '01 Force Fed 325ci ~ '98 M3
    Nice werk! My E46 could use one, and the cost of a DIY makes this a much more doable project. :thumbsup:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast