Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: platnum +4 are baaaad? help

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325is

platnum +4 are baaaad? help

my car started with a problem that build up gradually and replaced many things and didn't work out. the car would hesitate and sputter when i gave it gas but ran like brand new on idle. got the codes out and the O2 was bad and so were both knock sensors. i replaced the parts but as soon as i replaced the O2 sensor the car ran better than ever but only for a few blocks, same thing when i replaed my plugs, bosh platnum4. the car already had the platnum 4 on it so i replaced them all but i've been hearing that M50 engines don't like those plugs. all i know is that i got ignition and i got good fuel suply, can that be the problem? it hesitates nasty and won't acelerate. any advise will be apreciated

My Cars
    88 E30 M3 /95 avus m3

vac leak

sounds like you have a vac leak i would not worrie about the plugs but recomend ngk next time
    S52 Wisco/trm pistons eagle rods top mount 6266 (etc) (etc) zionsville fatboy radiator VDP oil cooler setup
    obd1conversion baffled oil pan push/pull eletricfans m50manifold CAI JB lightweight flywheel VACsolid motor trans TMSsolid diff subframe mounts tc-kline/koni adj rear shocks tc#550rear springs tc#600front springs tc ride height adj tc/koni adj coilovers tc monoball camberplates tc monoball shock mounts tc monoball RTAB TMS monoball adj rear control arms TMSmonoball upper inner CAB tc derlin frontCAB 323 lsd uuc evo3 SSK 18" RD sport RS2

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by restricted View Post
    sounds like you have a vac leak i would not worrie about the plugs but recomend ngk next time
    no more vacum leaks, i checked every hose and what not. hmmmm = /

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Every 6 cylinder owner will tell you to stay away from the 4 prong plugs. Us M42 owners can run the 4 prong bosch plugs without any problems. I had them for a year and a half.

My Cars
    1998 328i, 2007 328i
    Get a set of NGKs to put in there, see what happens. Look on their site and see what they recommend for your car, but with your m50, I believe they recommend the standard copper +2.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i x-drive
    I have a 94 325i/M50 and use only NGK BKR6EK, which are the OEM plugs. They work well and are inexpensive. Try a set and see if that helps.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchiz318 View Post
    Every 6 cylinder owner will tell you to stay away from the 4 prong plugs. Us M42 owners can run the 4 prong bosch plugs without any problems.
    +1

Also, have you changed the coil packs? They are a known fail-prone item in the 92-94 I6's. When a vacuum leak check doesn't turn up any problems, those c/packs are always next up on the list, esp. with the symptoms you are describing. Symptoms typically worsen in damp/wet weather.

My Cars
    modded 98 BMW 328I
    stay away from the platnem 4s go with the ngk or the older bosch copper 2s. i tried the +4s and they ran like crap. so i cleaned my old copper +2 and even the old ones ran better.

I tried listing my mods but I gave up check link for most of the mods http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...7&postcount=91

My Cars
    94 325is, 98 528i
    If you have a m50 use autoparts store special copper cheap ass plugs. Work great. The older motors don't need anything fancy.
    M50 3.1L Stroker - TC Kline D/A

My Cars
    95 325i 5 speed
    the platinum plugs were started in piston engined airplanes for reliability.the reason they were considered more reliable is because platinum is a noble element, it doesnt easily react with other elements-even under high heat= the combustion chamber of a very high compression airplane engine. they wanted more relaibility because they drove in the sky, if their plugs wore out they didnt just park and replace them.hence the reason the manufacturers have recently started using them even though the plugs were invented some time ago,like 50 years ago(platinum works throughout their 100000 mile drivetrain warranty because its not as apt to change of state,it doestnt neccesarily perform better), at least as per the cost. as for the extra three ground electrodes, electricity is completely predictable, it follows the path of least resistance( its the amount of unknowns that can occur in the path that make electrical problems seem so mysterious), so it only needs one. all thats besides the fact that that those other three electrodes probly only hurt flame propagation. and even with the single electrode platinums, if your even checking whether or not the gap's right before you install the plug, much less setting it, your scraping off the miniscule platinum coating which is over a reglular electrode anyhow. platinum's expensive, theyre not making the entire electrode out of it. it's my guesstamated opnion that if your buying these plugs, your falling for good advertising strategy.
    Last edited by 95325i5sp; 09-23-2009 at 01:28 AM.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    Quote Originally Posted by 95325i5sp View Post
    they wanted more relaibility because they drove in the sky, if their plugs wore out they didnt just park and replace them.
    You mean flew, right?

it's my guesstamated opnion that if your buying these plugs, your falling for good advertising strategy.

+7hp brah!

My Cars
    1994 bmw 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfeel View Post
    +1

Also, have you changed the coil packs? They are a known fail-prone item in the 92-94 I6's. When a vacuum leak check doesn't turn up any problems, those c/packs are always next up on the list, esp. with the symptoms you are describing. Symptoms typically worsen in damp/wet weather.
    thats what i thought at first but even if a get the correct readings with the multimeter?!

My Cars
    93 318i, 05 325i, 05 Nissan Titan, 03 Jeep
    Quote Originally Posted by ponchiz318 View Post
    Every 6 cylinder owner will tell you to stay away from the 4 prong plugs. Us M42 owners can run the 4 prong bosch plugs without any problems. I had them for a year and a half.
    The standard advice on this forum is to use the el chepo NKG's. However, I recently switched to the 4 prong Bosch in my M44 and I immediately felt a huge improvement.

My Cars
    '10 X5, '98 M3 - 302
    That's because the M42/M44 motors are so much better............in terms of reliability

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i OBD1

Thumbs up +4 is good stuff

Really?, i am using the BOSCH Platinum +4 on my BMW E36 328i OBD1 version (M52B28 on MS41.0), no problem at all, it became EXELENT respondsive, go to U-tube and search my videos with jokeracts.

the +4 plug is easier for the DME and coil pack to spark, it reduce current to spark the plug. it should prolonge/extend the lifespan of ignition coil and DME 's amplifier transistor. when the current was reduced to provide ignition, the horse power will increase, as the fuel consumption reduced.

My Cars
    1998 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by manny325is View Post
    thats what i thought at first but even if a get the correct readings with the multimeter?!
    yeah, because readings under operating conditions are vastly different than when checking cold with engine off. The increased atmosphere in the combustion chamber alone can cause the spark signal to ground out before it gets to the electrode, as electricity simply takes the path of least resistance. In other words, it can look good on paper and still not work.

My Cars
    94 325is, 98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by jokerthepoker View Post
    Really?, i am using the BOSCH Platinum +4 on my BMW E36 328i OBD1 version (M52B28 on MS41.0), no problem at all, it became EXELENT respondsive, go to U-tube and search my videos with jokeracts.

the +4 plug is easier for the DME and coil pack to spark, it reduce current to spark the plug. it should prolonge/extend the lifespan of ignition coil and DME 's amplifier transistor. when the current was reduced to provide ignition, the horse power will increase, as the fuel consumption reduced.
    Not any harder for the DME to spark. I wouldn't want to run a plug that had less resistance than what the coil pack is spec'd for, could easily cause it to have problems. The DME only sends a digital signal to the coil pack, I don't think there are drivers in the DME, they keep that isolated for a reason..

My Cars
    95 325i 5 speed

You've been misinformed. Voltage jumps the gap not amperage/current.the transistor in the dme switches the primary side of the igntion(14V), it never physically touches the circuit that fires the plug(secondary side-xxxxxkV).I'd rant morelol, but I'm on my iphone.

My Cars
    e28, e30, e36
    the platinums are not the right temp range for these motors. also spray carb cleaner in suspect air leak areas while motor is running, if the idle changes, then you found a leak.

My Cars
    94 325is, 98 528i
    You've been misinformed. Voltage jumps the gap not amperage/current.the transistor in the dme switches the primary side of the igntion(14V), it never physically touches the circuit that fires the plug(secondary side-xxxxxkV).I'd rant morelol, but I'm on my iphone.
    correct, there is current but its very low, you want a quality high voltage to bridge that air gap to ignite your mixture. Current is just about minuscule I am willing to bet.

The platinum may decrease resistance in the electrode itself (probably not though) But you are not going to change the intrinsic impedance of the mixture.
    Last edited by Xenocide; 09-23-2009 at 06:01 PM.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i OBD1

Quote Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
    correct, there is current but its very low, you want a quality high voltage to bridge that air gap to ignite your mixture. Current is just about minuscule I am willing to bet.

The platinum may decrease resistance in the electrode itself (probably not though) But you are not going to change the intrinsic impedance of the mixture.
    the current from dme to the ignition coil is HIGH CURRENT, did you see the wire is big diameter? , the ignition coil is step-up transformer, convert 12-14V to HIGH voltage for spark plug. 4x prongs (negative electrode) from platinum +4 had higher (-) electric charges than those 2 or single prong plugs. the spark will be easier and faster respond on the plug, very good in high RPM usage. soo, it will require much less current to ignite a spark. soo, less current from ignition coil (transformer), less current to electromagnetic charge the ignition coil from DME,... ->fast respond, more HP, Less fuel..

Quote Originally Posted by BMWMPow3r View Post
    the platinums are not the right temp range for these motors. also spray carb cleaner in suspect air leak areas while motor is running, if the idle changes, then you found a leak.
    platinum is good, but iridium is better
    Last edited by jokerthepoker; 09-24-2009 at 12:57 AM. Reason: 4x prongs

My Cars
    2009 BMW 328i x-drive
    joker--

I'm not sure I follow you, but the number of electrodes is irrelevant to the current or voltage. So to say that 4 electrode plugs have higher electric charges is not correct--it's a closed system.

Also note that the cars were designed around copper dual-electrode plugs.

My Cars
    95 325i 5 speed
    the current from dme to the ignition coil is HIGH CURRENT, did you see the wire is big diameter? , the ignition coil is step-up transformer, convert 12-14V to HIGH voltage for spark plug. 4x electrode from platinum +4 had higher (-) electric charges than those 2 or single electrode plugs. the spark will be easier and faster respond on the plug, very good in high RPM usage. soo, it will require much less current to ignite a spark. soo, less current from ignition coil (transformer), less current to electromagnetic charge the ignition coil from DME,... ->fast respond, more HP, Less fuel..

platinum is good, but iridium is better

um.... no. maybe theres some kind of communication barrier between us, but most of that makes no sense.

My Cars
    BMW E36 328i OBD1

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Automaticftp View Post
    joker--

I'm not sure I follow you, but the number of electrodes is irrelevant to the current or voltage. So to say that 4 electrode plugs have higher electric charges is not correct--it's a closed system.

Also note that the cars were designed around copper dual-electrode plugs.
    platinum is noble metal, and HIGH temperature metal for GAS TURBINE component, aerospace material.

use the physics principle to understand it, electron gun for old TV, van deer graf tesla coil,

just like those HI-FI system, connect speaker with BIG diameter wire? better sound right?

4 prongs have more way for electron to earth (-), just like the traffic,
    4 lanes highway VS 1 lane road, which one will have better and easier FLOW?
    Last edited by jokerthepoker; 09-24-2009 at 12:58 AM.

My Cars
    95 325i 5 speed
    but it's only gonna arc to one lol. it will only go to the earth electrode with less resistance, whatever miniscule amount that is. theres no reason for the extras.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast