Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: evap leak cheap fixed. Broken expansion tank

My Cars
    e30 325es 325is

Evap leak cheap fixed. Broken expansion tank

First, thanks to all the fellow members here that give all the information I need to fix this problem of the common evap leak.

I just picked up this car knowing the fact that it had a evap leak. So here is the fix. The expansion tank hose neck was broke. The neck wasn't just plastic, but inside was a copper tube.

Supplies needed.

Plastic weld or other bonding epoxy. $5
    3/16"x.014 brass tube. $5
    fuel line hose. $5
    clamps. $5

After taking out the wheel well shied and unscrew the 2 plastic bolt holding the tank. cut the 6mm fuel line hose. This will make it lot easier to take the tank out. It is almost impossible to take the hose out from the connection even the clips has been taken out.

Here is the broken neck from the tank.

I bought a 3/16" brass tube from art supply store and cut it to about 1.5". It is important to clean the inside of the broken neck with steel brush. I make a small brush by twisting small wires with open end and chuck it to a drill.

Make sure that the new tube doesn't go all the way into the tank. It might block the opening.

I apply plastic weld on half the new brass tube and slide it in. Wait until it is cured. Apply the plastic weld on the other half and attached it together and apply more for better strength. The plastic weld actually doesn't bond as good as i thought.

After everything is cured, replace with new fuel line hose and clamps. I bought the fuel line from autopart store instead $30 from dealer.

Connect the hoses and put the tank back in. I only drove 50 miles since and the CEL haven't show up yet. If it doesn't show up at 150 miles. then it is good to go.
    Last edited by jchung9825; 09-18-2009 at 12:11 AM.
    ((( in stereo ))) E39-Sold, E36-Sold, 2x E30 -current

My Cars
    2017 M240iX
    Nice write up.

I've had an evaporative fuel warning occasionally -- what specific code was yours? Any other symptoms?

My Cars
    2016 340i
    Good write up on a common problem. I did something similar on my car, but I was able to do so without removeing the tank. I used the 5 Minute expoxy and a new plastic nipple.

My Cars
    e30 325es 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by iXguy View Post
    Nice write up.

I've had an evaporative fuel warning occasionally -- what specific code was yours? Any other symptoms?
    I used peake tool to check. It gives and small leak and after every 150 miles, it will give you a large leak with CEL on. There are no symptoms except you can't pass inspection with the CEL on.

My Cars
    2017 M240iX
    Sounds about the same as what I'm getting.

No fuel smell though?

My Cars
    A white one
    ProTip:

Remove the two fasteners that hold the fuel filler neck in place so you can move it out of the way. There's one up by the filler inlet (13mm) and one down by the rear sway bar (10mm).

This makes removal and re-installation of the tank 100% easier.

Also, I used brass barb fittings & JB Weld to repair my tank, we'll see if they hold up...

Last edited by mzmtg; 11-25-2009 at 08:21 AM.
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D
    The hours your BMW spends parked....you don't get those back.

My Cars
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by mzmtg View Post
    Also, I used brass barb fittings & JB Weld to repair my tank, we'll see if they hold up...
    My check engine light went out on its own tonight. I guess that means my fix worked.
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D

My Cars
    Alpine 97 328is
    Nice DIY fix.
    1997 BMW 328is Alpine White // Dove Grey
    ZF Swapped | 3.23 LSD | FK Coilovers | 17x8.5 Borbet Type C | 75mm Wheel Studs | 12mm Vorshlag Spacers | 5000k HIDs | Euro Taillights | Suede Headliner/Pillars

My Cars
    A white one
    Other pics:

1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D

My Cars
    98 323is
    Can I also use caulk or something like that? What size of fuel hose?

My Cars
    '96 328is, '02 325ci

Thumbs up

Great write up! Thanks! Just did the repair of the main tank connection that had cracked and set off the CEL. Used the 3/16" double ended brass barb fitting, some 5-minute epoxy to get it to stick, covered the whole thing with plumber's epoxy putty and then sealed the whole thing with silicone automotive sealant. Also replaced that stupid OEM hose clamp with a normal one that you can tighten with a screwdriver. Cleared the code with my Peake tool and it has not come back. The car started and idled very rough until it got up to temperature and then after a test drive ran perfectly and held idle just like it should. Probably had a good dose of air in the fuel system after having the hose off of the evap tank for several hours.

My Cars
    e36 328i, Boosted B13
    I just did this, but when installing it I broke the bond. The stress the hose puts on the 'fix' seems to be a bit much. Is there something I could do differently to not put so much stress on it when re mounting?

My Cars
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by nowbimmin View Post
    I just did this, but when installing it I broke the bond. The stress the hose puts on the 'fix' seems to be a bit much. Is there something I could do differently to not put so much stress on it when re mounting?
    Replace the hoses with longer pieces, it reduces the stress on the connections. See my pic above with a loop in the lower hose.

Also, moving the fuel filler neck makes it easier to get the tank back into place without stressing the hoses.
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D

My Cars
    e36 328i, Boosted B13
    I didn't replace the hoses, but I did un mount the filler and it was still tough to get the tank back into place.

CEL went off! I guess the 'cup' the epoxy made after it broke was good enough to hold the fuel line that I placed in there thinking "it's better than letting it hang off to the side"
    Last edited by nowbimmin; 03-11-2010 at 10:32 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    sorry to bump but this just happened to me

how has your fix held up so far?

what size fuel hose is it too?
    Last edited by das borgen; 07-07-2010 at 10:50 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -Rich-

My Cars
    e36 328i, Boosted B13
    I'm not sure who you're asking, but my CEL is still off.

My Cars
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by nowbimmin View Post
    I'm not sure who you're asking, but my CEL is still off.
    Mine is still off as well.
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    Quote Originally Posted by das borgen View Post

what size fuel hose is it too?
    anyone?
    -Rich-

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    I'm in the middle of this now.... The top nipple was only cracking, so I slathered epoxy on it and buttoned it up again.
    If I need the copper tube and the fresh hose I'll chime in with the sizes.....I hope the epoxy fixes it!

Good DIY Thanks!

My Cars
    e30 325es 325is
    6mm fuel hose was used.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

Other pics:

I am using the 2nd picture posted by mzmtg to show what I found on my ccar so far, did not remove the tank yet but I can see the bottom nipple is broken (the one that has some epoxy on 2nd picture) and I am also missing the clamp that holds the hose to the blue pipe (located on the left in 2nd picture).
    Can someone please clarify what is the function of the bottom nipple line on the tank.
    I do not see any error codes yet.

My Cars
    A white one
    Quote Originally Posted by M3C View Post
    Can someone please clarify what is the function of the bottom nipple line on the tank.
    I do not see any error codes yet.
    Since the purpose of the expansion tank is to collect vapor from the fuel system, I would assume that the function of the line connected to the bottom of the expansion tank is to drain fuel back into the main fuel tank after it has condensed in the expansion tank.

That's just a guess though
    1998 323is

Sig pic by Shawn D

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    6mm
    will do mine this weekend!

Thanks for a great write-up

My Cars
    1993 BMW Coupe
    Since the purpose of the expansion tank is to collect vapor from the fuel system, I would assume that the function of the line connected to the bottom of the expansion tank is to drain fuel back into the main fuel tank after it has condensed in the expansion tank.

That's just a guess though

Well, since you said it and not me, then why did yu curl the hose? Vapors can travel the loop, raw gas can not, unless it vaporizes.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Re

It looks normal but actually when lifting from bottom it can be seen that lower half is broken-open.
    I could not remove the hose from the other end after taking out the clamp, it is kind of stuck there and was afraid not to break something if pulling too hard. Is there a way to remove the hose when it feels stuck, ay spray or tool for this issue? I would not want to cut the hose ends just to remove the tank and having to purchase new hoses again.

So I applied JB Kwik (it dries quicker than regural JB Weld) and after covered it with hi-temp silicone gasket (see pictures).

Not sure how well will it hold but I consider this as temporary fix, will have to get a new tank.
    Need some experienced advise here, would this be good as a temporary fix?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast