Thread: yes, another MS question thread...

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil

yes, another MS question thread...

but hopefully one of my last of this type.

I have decided that i want to turbo my car for sure, and i am going to start collecting parts. I thought that a wideband and ecu would be the best starting place since a) im really bored at school b) i can learn to tune n/a so that i can hopefully tune my car myself once i get the turbo installed, and c)it would be one less thing to do when the actual install happens and it something i can actually do here at school.

I think i want to buid an MS II unit. I think i finally understand a good amount more about the tuning process and i have been reading on the msefi forums and have been learning about the program and whatnot.

The only problem is the link to a good MS build i had that SmallSnails gave me doesnt work anymore and the printout copy i had is at my house which is a pretty good drive away. Can you all just give me a quick rundown of what parts i need to build a MS unit specific to the non vanos m50 besides what comes with the ms kit. I want to order a kit soon since im bored out of my mind here with work and school.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Fuck I wrote it down somewhere now I forget. His write up is a bit outdated anyway. We use BIP373s instead of VB291s now a days but the rest is similar IIRC.

The mod was fairly simple, you wire in 3 330ohm resistors (Don't quote me on 330) and wire them to two bip373s each. The bips also get a group ground and the rest are signal wires. You wire up the resistors' other ends to the outputs of the 3 LEDs and configure the MS to run each of them as sparck outputs (A-C). A is 1/6 B is 2/5 and C is 3/4 (IIRC!). The rest is loading the extra firmware and tuning.

I think thats it. hopefully Jon will chime in and fill in my blanks.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    92 325is
    Quote Originally Posted by protomor View Post
    Fuck I wrote it down somewhere now I forget. His write up is a bit outdated anyway. We use BIP373s instead of VB291s now a days but the rest is similar IIRC.

The mod was fairly simple, you wire in 3 330ohm resistors (Don't quote me on 330) and wire them to two bip373s each. The bips also get a group ground and the rest are signal wires. You wire up the resistors' other ends to the outputs of the 3 LEDs and configure the MS to run each of them as sparck outputs (A-C). A is 1/6 B is 2/5 and C is 3/4 (IIRC!). The rest is loading the extra firmware and tuning.

I think thats it. hopefully Jon will chime in and fill in my blanks.
    i would buy a Kit From DIYAutoTune.for COP you want to use 6 resisters for the coils. 3 resisters for GM Coils. and also depending what sensors you run BMW or GM, Coolent Temp And IAT depend on More Resisters you may need.
    Sensor
    Makes
    Resistor (ohms)

AC Delco/GM
    Daewoo, Buick, Cadillac, Chevrolet, Oldsmobile, Pontiac, GMC

Ford
    Ford, Lincoln, Mercury

Bosch and
    Nippon Denso
    Acura, Audi, BMW, Honda, Infiniti,
    Jaguar, Kia, Lexus, Mazda, Mitsubishi,
    Nissan, Suzuki, Toyota, Volkswagen, Volvo (96-up)

Mopar Chrysler, Dodge, Plymouth

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    If you use 6 resistors, I think you need 660ohms. But you can use 3 and just split off into 2. At least thats what I remember...

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    92 325is
    yes 660ohm, im just going by my 300+ page printed out book, also with Jons WriteUp Printed in it. im running 3 with GM Coils. Never Seen anyone use 3 COP always Been the 6. So if You can Use 3 then Thats good News! i may Be Going COP
    Last edited by E36MikeFL; 09-15-2009 at 01:01 PM.

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    nah nah you use 3 bip373s to fire off 6 coils. but you fire them like you fire wasted coil packs. So youre firing 6 COPs in wasted spark form.

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    ok, so basically i need 6 660 ohm resistors for the ignition circuit. im just confused about what otehrs i need. I know there is just so much to it. Iv been trying to read up on msefi.com, but i cant really find much that is bmw specific.

My Cars
    92 325is
    nah nah you use 3 bip373s to fire off 6 coils. but you fire them like you fire wasted coil packs. So youre firing 6 COPs in wasted spark form.
    lol oops brain fart i thaught you were talking about resisters. 3 resisters with COP

Quote Originally Posted by SS Ball3r View Post
    ok, so basically i need 6 660 ohm resistors for the ignition circuit. im just confused about what otehrs i need. I know there is just so much to it. Iv been trying to read up on msefi.com, but i cant really find much that is bmw specific.
    Have you checked out DIYAutoTune yet? everyhting you need is there
    Last edited by E36MikeFL; 09-15-2009 at 01:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    right. I plan on buying the ms 2 unassembled kit, but i thought that i still needed a few extra parts that would be specific to my application that needed o be purchased seperatly.

My Cars
    92 325is

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by E36MikeFL View Post
    lol oops brain fart i thaught you were talking about resisters. 3 resisters with COP
    Wait wait I did mean 3 resistors. 6 total coil drivers, each resistor connects to 2 coil drivers(bip373s). IE LED A fires off through 1 330ohm resistor, passes to 2 BIP373s, and those in turn fire off cylinders 1 AND 6 coil packs.

Quote Originally Posted by SS Ball3r View Post
    right. I plan on buying the ms 2 unassembled kit, but i thought that i still needed a few extra parts that would be specific to my application that needed o be purchased seperatly.
    If you want to splurge a bit more, DIYAutotune will not only assemble it, but pre mod and pre load the firmware for the coil on plug output. If they don't remember, tell them to use my (yoshi's) setup. They did mine a few months ago and I gave them all the stuff from Jon K's write up but with the BIP373s.

My Cars
    '87 325is 24v turbo buil
    ok, thanks for the info on that. I appreciate it all

My Cars
    92 325is
    Wait wait I did mean 3 resistors. 6 total coil drivers, each resistor connects to 2 coil drivers(bip373s). IE LED A fires off through 1 330ohm resistor, passes to 2 BIP373s, and those in turn fire off cylinders 1 AND 6 coil packs.
    you had me so confused, i understand you now, 2 coils off 1 resister in proto area

If you want to splurge a bit more, DIYAutotune will not only assemble it, but pre mod and pre load the firmware for the coil on plug output. If they don't remember, tell them to use my (yoshi's) setup. They did mine a few months ago and I gave them all the stuff from Jon K's write up but with the BIP373s.
    was about to say the same thing

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by E36MikeFL View Post
    you had me so confused, i understand you now, 2 coils off 1 resister in proto area
    Yessir