Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: Project M50 turbo Euro E30

My Cars
    85 318i

Project M50 turbo Euro E30

This car has been my daily driver for 3 years, picked it up for $2500 and is very reliable for a 1984. It was ordered from the factory just the way you see it, have all the receipts from the dealer.

A few months ago while driving to work I got hit in the rear.

But then insurance paid me $4200 to fix it and said what the fuxor lets do a twin cam swap,since I had wrecked 95 E36, need to do one anyway before I die.

So out went the old reliable M10.

Cleaned the engine bay from 20+year old gunk.

Converted rear drums to disc, added SS brake lines, 2.93 LSD, new subframe and trailing arm bushings.

Engine looked very clean, head gasket had been redone recently, the engine has 177k according to the previous owner.

It's in my blood so gotta have a turbo but nothing crazy like my E30 M30.
    Just want a nice DD low boost setup around 6-7psi and that's it, so no open dump or wooosh woooosh sounds. Used schedule 10 SS for the manifold and had it tig'd.

A/C is must here in South Florida, had the lines redone.

New sport disc and pressure plate, I love Clutchnet

Turbo is a Garrett 57 trim .63 housing with a stage III wheel. 3" down pipe heat wrapped and wastegate installed the right way

Intercooler piping is simple just two straight pieces no bends. Also had to relocate the power steering reservoir.

Need to finish up the exhaust, A/C and add the oil cooler then send it off to the body shop to get a complete respray. Also getting the wheels redone as well. Can't wait to drive this thing again with some new power
    My manifolds powering 8sec and over 1000rwp cars
    Home of the highest HP stock M30 in the world 550rwhp/622rwtq
    1/4 mile---> 9.81 @138 C4 Auto
    10.08 in car vid --->https://youtu.be/OiinFhUomjg
    Dyno vid... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7aM7..._order&list=UL

My Cars
    Turbo M50 E30, 95 M3
    Nice Otis!
    85' Turbo M50 E30 | 95' M3 Nitrous, Coilovers, DJ Autos, UUC SSK

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    That is one cool car! Project looks great too!

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    Very clean Otis!! Thanks for posting and I look forward to seeing it complete!

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Very nice!! BTW, what did you use to clean the engine bay?? Anyways, it is turning out wonderful.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '94 325iS
    Sweet, but why does that crank look different? I guess I have only ever seen S5x cranks in pictures.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Sweet project dude!!!!!! She'll be a lot of fun!
    -Chris

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    You sure that's not an M52? That crank looks like it's one of 'em forged/nitrided type.

I know my crank didn't have that blueish hue when I looked at it last.
    Last edited by mazur; 09-15-2009 at 01:03 AM.

My Cars
    are slow.
    this thread makes me happy in my pants.

Dude we seriously have to meet.... i have a E30 torn apart right now waiting for paint, with an M52 sitting on the stand right next to it.... hopping for a nice fat turbo soon

Send me a PM, id love to meet up!!!!
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    E30 M30 Turbo
    Just banging out entire setups...you are the MAN

My Cars
    530i E60
    Leave it to Otis to bring back life to the forum. Just when i think it's dead here comes my man Otis.
    When i grow up I want to be just like you.
    Still waiting on you to come up to Charleston for a few days. LOL
    Rito

530i E60 Wizard of Nos Nitrous System/STS Rear Mounted Custom Turbo(PSI_unknown)

My Cars
    85 318i
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I will update when it's near completion.
    I also made a jig to duplicate the mani so if anyone is interested shoot me a pm.

Otis

I had one question about the a/c, there is about 2" between the condensor and IC. Leaving not a lot of room for a fan, how would the a/c work without a fan..?
    Last edited by good & tight; 09-15-2009 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by good & tight View Post
    Thanks for the replies everyone, I will update when it's near completion.
    I also made a jig to duplicate the mani so if anyone is interested shoot me a pm.

Otis

I had one question about the a/c, there is about 2" between the condensor and IC. Leaving not a lot of room for a fan, how would the a/c work without a fan..?
    AC will work, but probably not at idle lol. there needs to be airflow over the ac cooler for it to properly work. 2" is more than enough room to fit a decent fan in there. Look for a slim line fan, im sure you can find something thats thin enough, with enough CFM for your application.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Hey Otis, you need airflow at idle, otherwise it will get warm, and fast. Do you have the stock clutch fan? If so, ditch that and get an efan, as well as get one or more pusher fan to put directly on the condenser. Good luck sir.

My Cars
    85 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Hey Otis, you need airflow at idle, otherwise it will get warm, and fast. Do you have the stock clutch fan? If so, ditch that and get an efan, as well as get one or more pusher fan to put directly on the condenser. Good luck sir.
    I ordered a spal 12" puller fan it's 2.05" thick 870cfm for the condenser, going to be a very tight fit. The stock fan clutch sits too close to the radiator plus there is no shroud, so I'm getting an efan.

Ordered the oil cooler adapter for the oil filter housing from Ireland, going to have to redo the lines, since I'm using the stock oil cooler from the E30.

My Cars
    85 318i
    Some more progress. Converted the battery to the trunk, no pics of that it's pretty simple, the hard part was finding the cable at the u-pick it yard since that's the first thing they take for the copper.

Got the oil cooler installed, used an M20 one and flipped it then brazed on some barbed fittings to the steel lines. Found oil hose rated for 700 degrees and 500psi.

Also had to modify the IE oil adapter, it didn't fit so I had to grind about 1/4" off the sleeve on the inside to fit.

The fans came in and everything just fits but of course had to modify something. They are both spal slim fans 2.05" thick
    12" condenser fan 870cfm.

16" radiator fan 1300cfm, perfect fit with the stock shroud

But of course I had to mod the water pump by cutting off the front of it, then threw a few welds on it to make sure it doesn't fly off

3" down pipe done along with some of the exhaust.

At first I was going to use the stock cats but they weigh a ton and puny so I opted for a 3" high flow cat and added a 02 bung. Haven't decide what muffler to use but want something quiet.

Need the EWS delete thingy so it can start and check for leaks or if anything is wrong then off to the body shop. Also the A/C system has a leak somewhere, it doesn't hold vacuum for long I'm hoping it's just an oring or something, if anyone has any pointer on how to check for leaks any help would be appreciated.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Pressurize the AC system with dye and see where it leaks. Then evacuate it quickly and repair, and try again! Also, I don't think those fans will be big enough for AC use, but you'll be able to tell us in the future!

My Cars
    85 318i
    Some updates.
    Fixed the A/C, it ends up the condenser was leaking from the sides, I had removed the tabs that hold the connections in place and bent them a little and that's what caused the leaks.
    Found a used one for $20 flushed it out and the system held vacuum so now I have A/C.
    Got the EWS delete chip but had some problems getting it started, to the point were I thought the engine was blown. Ended up being a bad main relay, swapped it out and VROOM it started right up and idled perfect.

Charged the A/C system and let it sit at idle for 20 minutes a/c on and the temp stayed in the middle, so I guess the fans are enough. Should run cooler once I bleed the system and add some water wetter.

Took it for a quick drive making sure no funny noises, just a bit of vibration from the DS, will have to fix that later.

Sending it off to the body shop in two weeks then straight to the tuner.
    Can't wait

My Cars
    1997 Turbo M3 Coupe
    Congrats!

Nice to hear about the A/C and the cooling thus far. Also nice to hear about the main relay swap and then VROOOOOM!

Looking forward to it!
    Where have I been? Astral projecting.

Quote Originally Posted by jszy25 View Post
    Get drunk with Mike Radowski they said, it'll be fun they said...A broken toe, the worst hangover known to man, and bite marks in my arm said otherwise

My Cars
    e30 & e34
    Nice dude! you got 'lucky' with the rear end hit, it didn't even damage the body at all!
    e30 84 340i m6x powered.
    e34 89 535i 5speed - current DD
    e24 89 635csi - maybe a DD?

e34 93 525i (m50tu) - gone
    e39 540i 6spd m-sport - gone
    e53 x5 4.4l - gone
    e30 89 325i (m20) - gone

My Cars
    85 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Also, I don't think those fans will be big enough for AC use, but you'll be able to tell us in the future!
    I tested the cooling system today, let it sit for 20min with a/c on at idle. And I think it cools it too much. Installed a Hayden adjustable fan control with probe on the radiator, set it to switch on when at the 1/2 mark, once the fan kicks on it brings the temp down to a lil above the 1/4 mark.
    I'm guessing that the oil cooler I added helps keeps the engine cooler.
    It's 80 deg here also. Haven't even added the water wetter stuff yet.

My Cars
    90 325is,89 325i24v
    That is awesome you got to keep your AC! I would like to in the future devise a way to put mine back on. The header will allow it, but the way I have the front end set up for max IC cooling and radiator cooling it just doesn't allow for it space wise. That being said, I am not sure I am going to mess with it at all. But congrats on that for sure!

I want to see if I can hook up my Cruise control to my ITB's

Dreams To Reality Performance One Lap of America 2010 GT2SB winner, 4th Overall, car build http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1268384

My Cars
    89 750il 95 540i/6
    I tested the cooling system today, let it sit for 20min with a/c on at idle. And I think it cools it too much. Installed a Hayden adjustable fan control with probe on the radiator, set it to switch on when at the 1/2 mark, once the fan kicks on it brings the temp down to a lil above the 1/4 mark.
    I'm guessing that the oil cooler I added helps keeps the engine cooler.
    It's 80 deg here also. Haven't even added the water wetter stuff yet.
    Wow, thats a good cooling system you got there huh. That will be fun to tune with the engine so cold and all Maybe you should try driving it around a little and put the car under some load to see if that affects the temp at all?
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

My Cars
    E36, WRX
    ...Haven't even added the water wetter stuff yet.
    I'm jealous of your cooling system!!

My Cars
    89 750il 95 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by a32guy View Post
    I'm jealous of your cooling system!!
    Oh hell I didn't even read this, you never cease to amaze me man What EMS are you useing?
    The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair.Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast