Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Active e36 HKS Stage II Installed

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Ok, so Karl of AA revised my tune. Got the ECU back last night and drove the car around a bit. The engine felt much smoother but I could not really tell if the car was making more power or whatever. I could tell that the car was continuing to do that "thing" up above 6k rpm under load. Specifically, in 4th gear WOT pulls, the car would misfire/backfire up above 6k. Again, it did this when NA, as well, so its not related to the SC kit. However, it stands out like a sore thumb w/ a centri SC because they can easily make 50+ whp in that last 1k rpm. So I've got to get the issue sorted, and will likely drop the car at RRT for diagnosis.

Anyway, although the ECU prolly did not have enough time to adapt, etc. I went ahead and took the car to a dyno day at Moore Automotive in Fairfax VA today. Fun time. This is what she put down:

On Moore's elevated dynojet . . . a good shot of the stealth FMIC and SC core.
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 11-24-2009 at 08:16 PM.
    Garrett

My Cars
    SOLD
    Nice numbers, but what do you think the misfire issue could be? bad coils maybe?
    Shark Edit is coming. When? We do not know

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    At 6000 rpm, you are beating AA's peak power for the kit on a stock car. The stock car with the stock kit picks up only 30 rwhp from 6000 to 7000 rpm, but your breathing mods should substantially increase that gain.

What boost do you see on your gauge at 6000? The boost graph is all over the place.

My Cars
    03 4.6IS
    wow you should be around 430whp+ when you get the issue worked out!
    MINT 1995 Daytona Violet M3 60K miles!

http://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh...olet-59k-miles

busterhax is offline Y̝͎̘̍́ͣ̉͑̿̆Ō͎̼̺̬̒ͯ̃̇͗̂ U͈̖
    My Cars
    e36
    Yeah, it seemed all of our boost graphs were all double helixified. I think that dyno was a bit beat..boost read .5 psi at all times too.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidsM3 View Post
    Nice numbers, but what do you think the misfire issue could be? bad coils maybe?
    Maybe. Maybe cam timing. Maybe VANOS timing. Maybe knock sensors.
    Who knows. I have not had time to really troubleshoot this issue, but that's what I need to do: test/replace all the old sensors, pull the valve cover and check timing and VANOS, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post

What boost do you see on your gauge at 6000? The boost graph is all over the place.
    Boost at 6k rpm is about 8 psi on my gauge. As Busterhax said, the Moore Dyno boost gauge was all over the place for all the cars I watched run.

Quote Originally Posted by EBM3WSNC View Post
    wow you should be around 430whp+ when you get the issue worked out!
    If curing this misfire thing results in a linear power curve of the same pre-5k rpm trajectory from 6k rpm to redline, I'd say your estimate is about right. That is best case scenario, though. But even if the power curve trails-off in an "acceptable/normal" fashion as it gets closer to redline, the motor should still be well into the 400's.

I will have to set aside a weekend to give my best crack at troubleshooting this 6k+ rpm issue, and if that fails, I'll be dropping it at RRT.
    Garrett

My Cars
    SOLD
    Good luck man. Keep at it.
    Shark Edit is coming. When? We do not know

mcoupemindy is offline Senior Member BMW CCA Member
    Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    '99 M Coupe
    Great numbers! Sorry that I couldn't stick around to see your run - had some things to do in the afternoon.

I also ran on a "learning" ECU as I just got a Bosch 040 Motorsport Fuel Pump in the tank Fri night.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Below is the AA dyno for the stock stage II HKS kit on a stock OBD2M3 that made about 335 rwhp at 6000 and 365 rwhp at 7000. Looks like you are about 40 rwhp up on it at 6000 rpm, which should account for your engine mods (you won't maintain all the NA gains since the tune is different and there is less timing). I think you will maintain that advantage and easily cross the 400 rwhp threshold.

I am curious as to whether your exceptionally good rwhp to torque ratio at 375/335 will survive once you have your final numbers. Even AA had more like the 20% difference that is usually seen with centrifugals when it dyno'd the HKS system on the stock OBD2 car, at 365/298. You would really be bridging the gap between centrifugals and turbos if your torque stayed within about 10% of horsepower.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 12-14-2011 at 10:49 PM.

My Cars
    blown 98 m roadster
    top end misfires usually indicate an ignition issue. probably want to start w/ a fresh set of 1 step colder plugs properly gapped. just speculating, because i dont know the last time you changed plugs, but f/i takes a toll on plugs, especiallyold ones.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Have you replaced your knock sensors? My car would seem to studder/die at roughly 6500-7k for a second or two. I guess you could say hiccup. Once I changed the knock sensors the problem went away. Even if you dont get a CEL the knock sensors can still pull timing. Not saying this is the cure but something to def consider replacing. Mine were both cracked. Strong numbers even still!

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Below is the AA dyno for the stock stage II HKS kit on a stock OBD2M3 that made about 335 rwhp at 6000 and 365 rwhp at 7000. Looks like you are about 40 rwhp up on it at 6000 rpm, which should account for your engine mods (you won't maintain all the NA gains since the tune is different and there is less timing). I think you will maintain that advantage and easily cross the 400 rwhp threshold.

I am curious as to whether your exceptionally good rwhp to torque ratio at 375/335 will survive once you have your final numbers. Even AA had more like the 20% difference that is usually seen with centrifugals when it dyno'd the HKS system on the stock OBD2 car, at 365/298. You would really be bridging the gap between centrifugals and turbos if your torque stayed within about 10% of horsepower.
    You posted AA's C38-2 dyno, not their HKS-2. Their HKS dyno results are 370/315. So I think the HKS does seem to have a better hp/trq ratio than typical centri's.

Quote Originally Posted by PDP M View Post
    top end misfires usually indicate an ignition issue. probably want to start w/ a fresh set of 1 step colder plugs properly gapped. just speculating, because i dont know the last time you changed plugs, but f/i takes a toll on plugs, especiallyold ones.
    thanks for the suggestion. I think it's a logical one, but the problem seems to have preceded the SC install. Im running new one step colder ngk's gapped to .28.

Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    Have you replaced your knock sensors? My car would seem to studder/die at roughly 6500-7k for a second or two. I guess you could say hiccup. Once I changed the knock sensors the problem went away. Even if you dont get a CEL the knock sensors can still pull timing. Not saying this is the cure but something to def consider replacing. Mine were both cracked. Strong numbers even still!
    I think the knock sensors are likely candidates. Your experience kinda mirrors mine, so hopefully new knockers will do it.
    Thanks
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 11-22-2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Garrett

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Cracked means nothing fwiw, but knock sensors are possible. I may have missed it, how old are your coils and plugs?

GGray is offline Did someone say racetrack BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    A few BMW's...
    if the knock sensors were put on and over torqued it kills them... I think you can test them with an Ohm meter. You may want to check the bentley manual. I had a bad one on a GTi one time caused all kind of problems.

Power curve looks nice so far even witht eh misfire.
    Gary Gray

If you can take it apart you can make it faster!

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Cracked means nothing fwiw, but knock sensors are possible. I may have missed it, how old are your coils and plugs?
    Mine were showing the metal skeleton or w/e is under the plastic and every now and then I would get a cel for knock sensors. So maybe in some cases cracked knock sensors dont matter but I def would replace them if they are.

My Cars
    Supra
    If new knock sensors don't fix it, you might try having AA increase the knock threshold over 6000rpm. Perhaps your NA mods have changed the harmonic frequencies of the engine enough to trigger false knock readings.

The other, less likely culprit is valve float. Usually valve float drops quite a bit more power (here's a dyno with valve float on an American V8:

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    Mine were showing the metal skeleton or w/e is under the plastic and every now and then I would get a cel for knock sensors. So maybe in some cases cracked knock sensors dont matter but I def would replace them if they are.
    I agree on replacing them if there is any physical damage (cracks), but from talking with some dealer techs, cracked doesn't mean they are bad per say.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by spdu4ea View Post
    If new knock sensors don't fix it, you might try having AA increase the knock threshold over 6000rpm. Perhaps your NA mods have changed the harmonic frequencies of the engine enough to trigger false knock readings.

The other, less likely culprit is valve float.
    The more I search around, it seems a lot of NA M3's have had the same issue, stumbles/hiccups when under load above 6k rpm at WOT in 3rd/4th gear. Seems most are focusing on the cam and knock sensors. Mine have 150k on them . . . I knew I should have swapped them out when I did the HG. We'll see what those do.

Yeah, I doubt its valve float. The S52 is an interference engine. Valve float = massive carnage.

Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    I agree on replacing them if there is any physical damage (cracks), but from talking with some dealer techs, cracked doesn't mean they are bad per say.
    When I did my HG, I removed and inspected my knock sensors. They looked fine. I thought nothing of bolting them back in. But apparently, according to RRT, they are very sensitive to improper torque. Since I did not use a trq wrench to put them back in, I'm sure they are torqued oout of spec.

I'll just replace them w/ new and trq to spec.
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 11-23-2009 at 12:25 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Garrett

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Shit I didnt torque mine to spec but I havent had any issues at all since putting the new ones in. I guess next time I have the intake off Ill be sure to torque them for good measure.

My Cars
    2013 x1, 99 cherokee
    My 95 threw a code for one and I realized I over torqued them. Loosen both up and tqed them. All good now
    Luke
    03 330i

My Cars
    blown 98 m roadster
    ive over torqued knock sensors before. usually throws a code. its possible that they've seen better days. im interested to see the outcome.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    I think the high rpm misfire/stumble was caused by the coil/plug boots:

I forget which vendor sold me my old 65k mile spark plug boots, but they were bremi's w/ the bmw logo/info ground off of the rubber casings. They also looked slightly different from the ones I picked up from the dealer yesterday - just different ridges on the casings.

Anyway, the new ones seem to have cured the issue. Repeated 4th gear WOT runs to redline were unable to generate a misfire/stumble. She pulled clean/hard to redline.

I'll dyno again at some point and report back.
    Last edited by Mad Dog 20/20; 11-30-2009 at 03:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Garrett

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Sweet! I've seen that before on stock cars, tho never quite like that. They usually had mild runability issues all around.

If you don't mind, would you measure resistance through all 6 of your old boots?

My Cars
    E46iT- Coma E36- RIP E34
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Dog 20/20 View Post
    I think the high rpm misfire/stumble was caused by the coil/plug boots:

I forget which vendor sold me my old 65k mile spark plug boots, but they were bremi's w/ the bmw logo/info ground off of the rubber casings. They also looked slightly different from the ones I picked up from the dealer yesterday - just different ridges on the casings.

Anyway, the new ones seem to have cured the issue. Repeated 4th gear WOT runs to redline were unable to generate a misfire/stumble. She pulled clean/hard to redline.

I'll dyno again at some point and report back.
    Dude!!!! Congratu-f*cking-lations!!!

I've been reading the whole thing and hoping/praying for you to work the issues out! I'm looking into the 328 HKS system, and have the same NA mods you do, just no 3.5" HFM, bbtb? and...?

ECIS CAI w/custom ram air from brake air duct.
    Custom, True Dual, Borla exhaust w/Quad Magnaflow tips.
    ACS Delete w/Samco silicone boot.
    Eurosport M50 Manifold kit
    Port and Polished stock Headers
    S52 cams
    Jim Conforti "cammed M52" Shark Injector
    UUC Underdrive pulleys
    Fan Delete
    AFPR
    M3 3.23 LSD

Cant wait to see the new numbers, way to stay on it!
    Last edited by Captain; 11-30-2009 at 05:02 AM.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Aren't there lower resistance boots available? 1.0 versus 1.5 ohm?

Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718 LastLast