Thread: So, I'm looking in to an E46 M3...issues?

My Cars
    1987 325e

Question So, I'm looking in to an E46 M3...issues?

Okay, so I've been looking for an E46 M3 and what I've found looks a little off. I've been seeing them with 75k - 90k miles for around $18,000. What I'm looking for here is what the most common problems with these models are, as I'm going to need to take my A game to the dealership ( where I'll buy from for financing ) so that I can negotiate them to a price in which I like .

If I can go in there with the knowledge I can negotiate a bit better. I've been reading on the forums a bit and see that there is a sub-frame problem, and something about bearings?

As I've been reading, I guess I also need to know how to fix the common issues and links ( if possible ) on where to purchase the things needed to fix the problems ( I like Bavauto.com ) but if there's a better place if you could post a link I would greatly appreciate it. Thx.

Performance Chip - Tri-Flow Exhaust - Strut Bars ( Front & Rear ) - Bilstein Shocks - Eibach Springs - Slotted Rotors - High Performance Brake Pads

"Once you've owned one, your standards change completely when you go to buy your next vehicle. "

My Cars
    04 330i ZHP 6MT
    Mods should move this to the M3 section of the forum where you will get way more/better answers.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...splay.php?f=68
    Last edited by mimalmo; 09-07-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Eli

My Cars
    04 330Ci ZHP 6mt
    This is not so much M3 specific but I found there was alot of useful info here to get you started.....

http://www.bimmerfest.com/wiki/index.php/BMW_E46

You might want to consider a 330 with the ZHP package. It sort of fills in the gap between the Sport package and the M3. You'll find that many parts are quite a bit more expensive for the M3.

Here's my new (used) one.....

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by mimalmo View Post
    Mods should move this to the M3 section of the forum where you will get way more/better answers.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...splay.php?f=68
    +1

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    14 328d, 66 Impala SS
    Make sure you get one with maintenance records otherwise you high mileage $18k M3 will become your high mileage $28k M3 real quick

^Not any more, but I miss it^

My Cars
    1987 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by hi5ingmf9 View Post
    Make sure you get one with maintenance records otherwise you high mileage $18k M3 will become your high mileage $28k M3 real quick

That's the reason for this post really, it's what I'm trying to NOT have happen....

I mean, if I can find out what the problems are like the sub-frame problem if it's not been fixed I wont pay 18 - 20k for the car.

Also, if there's any more responses with common issues that I don't know about like timing belt / water pump and all the regular maintenance @ 60k/miles then I will be able to "wheel n deal"

Performance Chip - Tri-Flow Exhaust - Strut Bars ( Front & Rear ) - Bilstein Shocks - Eibach Springs - Slotted Rotors - High Performance Brake Pads

"Once you've owned one, your standards change completely when you go to buy your next vehicle. "

My Cars
    14 328d, 66 Impala SS
    Dude, just by the last post, just do some general research, because if someone tells you that the timing belt was changed something major is wrong... the car has a timing chain, other than that this thread gets started like once every two days over on M3forums, just go there and read through the stickies. For general E46 crap check here

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?...d=25&Itemid=55

^Not any more, but I miss it^

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Bushings, window regulators

My Cars
    1987 325e
    Quote Originally Posted by hi5ingmf9 View Post
    Dude, just by the last post, just do some general research, because if someone tells you that the timing belt was changed something major is wrong... the car has a timing chain, other than that this thread gets started like once every two days over on M3forums, just go there and read through the stickies. For general E46 crap check here

http://edgemotorworks.com/index.php?...d=25&Itemid=55

Yea, that was my bad, sometimes my fingers type stuff differently than my brain tells it to. *shrug*

I know it's a chain, I've had mine replaced enough, just kind of blanked out and my fingers took over.