Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mechanical Tensioner Question

My Cars
    2003 525i

Mechanical Tensioner Question

I was detailing my engine today and while the engine was running, looked around. NOT the alternator roller/pulley up high...but the mechanical tensioner directly under the oil filter. Again, I have mechanical, NOT hydraulic.

Anyway, as the car is running, all my belts are fine, roll well...but the base of the mechanical tensioner (directly under the oil filter) ever so slightly it vibrates, jussssst noticeable to the eyes. It 'moves' and I'd describe it as an oscillation as it, again, barely moves at all. It is brand new, replaced in April with less than 800 miles on it. Is this normal?

1). Is the BASE OF A MECHANICAL TENSIONER supposed to move ever so slightly/vibrate at their base?

The base of mine (see below) here...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 08-28-2009 at 12:17 AM.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    98' e39 528i
    you never replied to my pm haha.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by preyash View Post
    you never replied to my pm haha.
    I don't have to. Drink milk, eat some cookies and concentrate. Feel teh force. Yes. Your hood is effed up. Don't be proud of the technological scam you pulled by masking it with glaze and fillers. Nothing compares to the powah of teh rotary.

If this mechanical tensioner is shot, it'll be at Gumbis shop very soon. I will be there. You be there with egg rolls. I hate New Jersey so I don't like you. Don't take my dislike of you personally. You're part of the New Jersey Empire problem. I am helping you because you have an e39. And you like Mad Max. After egg rolls, you will have your car evaluated by Gumbi for future projects. Then you will leave me alone so I can shed the Jersey cooties.

Discuss this plan with your parents and with Gumbi, your new step-father. Search your feelings, you know you are related to Gumbi.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    it may just be loose, I would snug up the mounting bolts and see what happens.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    98' e39 528i
    hahaha, bimmerfiver I cant wait to see you in person lol. I was just busy with this college registration and stuff haha. I will call you man dont worry.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by preyash View Post
    hahaha, bimmerfiver I cant wait to see you in person lol. I was just busy with this college registration and stuff haha. I will call you man dont worry.
    Worry? I'm worried about my new $#&*ing mechanical tensioner. Your hood is mice nuts. And it makes me sick. If you forget duck sauce, I may burn that hood down to bare paint, give it a Mad Max paintjob ftw. If it's really bad, I may drain your engine block, fill it with sugar, pepper and salt, redline it for two minutes until cooked and drop it off for a belated Cash for Clunkers. Your car is on the edge right now. It's dangerous.

My Cars
    98' e39 528i
    ^^ uh..oh

My Cars
    m52 powered
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Your hood is mice nuts.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Actually it does the same thing on my e46. And my AC tensioner on the 5 does vibrate ever so slightly. None of them make noise or pose an issue. My idler pulley is making noise on the e46 so all pullies are getting changed as i type this lol.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Actually it does the same thing on my e46. And my AC tensioner on the 5 does vibrate ever so slightly. None of them make noise or pose an issue. My idler pulley is making noise on the e46 so all pullies are getting changed as i type this lol.
    This is good feedback, thanks. I was asking myself yesterday if I was seeing things, as the vibration/slight movement was either normal or not. The tensioner does just that, maintains tension on the belt, but it's also a shock/vibration absorber, a dampner if you will. Perhaps I was thinking, especially with a mechanical tensioner...by it's coil/spring design, the vibration/movement is it's way of fighting the kinetic energy.

I did a lot of research last night. Excess movement and noise are obviously the signs of failed tensioners, whether they are mechanical or hydraulic. While hydraulic might...might run slightly smoother, they all will fail at some point. The benefit of the hydraulic is that you can replace either the bearing (roller) or the hydraulic piston, whereas the mechanical is all one piece.

My thought when we replaced it in April stays true...we're going to replace the tensioners at 50K miles anyway so stay with the mechanical one. My belts run true, no wobble, hop and I don't have any noise from the new tensioner...just SLIGHT movement.

50K miles: waterpump, thermostat, tensioners, rollers/pulleys, belts.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 08-28-2009 at 10:10 AM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    This is good feedback, thanks. I was asking myself yesterday if I was seeing things, as the vibration/slight movement was either normal or not. The tensioner does just that, maintains tension on the belt, but it's also a shock/vibration absorber, a dampner if you will. Perhaps I was thinking, especially with a mechanical tensioner...by it's coil/spring design, the vibration/movement is it's way of fighting the kinetic energy.

I did a lot of research last night. Excess movement and noise are obviously the signs of failed tensioners, whether they are mechanical or hydraulic. While hydraulic might...might run slightly smoother, they all will fail at some point. The benefit of the hydraulic is that you can replace either the bearing (roller) or the hydraulic piston, whereas the mechanical is all one piece.

My thought when we replaced it in April stays true...we're going to replace the tensioners at 50K miles anyway so stay with the mechanical one. My belts run true, no wobble, hop and I don't have any noise from the new tensioner...just SLIGHT movement.

50K miles: waterpump, thermostat, tensioners, rollers/pulleys, belts.
    I agree with your thoughts.
    Do you have a sound clip of the rattle?
    I think it is probably normal that the mechanical tensioner rattles....
    Like you said... coil spring....
    And +1 what NNY said.... I would try to make sure everything is tightened correctly.

However, I am betting that your mechanical tensioner is toasty...
    Mine went only after 2 months!
    I now have the updated hydraulic tensioner.
    I noticed an immediate difference!
    The car revved better...
    This is just my opinion...
    I would have someone look at it...
    On the plus side, the cost for the new hydraulic tensioner is not too bad.
    Let me know!
    And, answer your d@mn phone!
    LOL!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    I agree with your thoughts.
    Do you have a sound clip of the rattle?
    I think it is probably normal that the mechanical tensioner rattles....
    Like you said... coil spring....
    There is NO rattle, no noise. If there were any noise, I would've ripped it out with my bare hands.

Perhaps, someday down the road, I'd be open to replacing the mechanical with the hydraulic for both tensioners on my car (if the A/C one can be modified as well). For now, I think it's normal.

My next issues are the thrust arms and then address the power steering leak(s). I'm driving around with dealer-Mobil One in the engine and it makes me sick. I'm on the hunt for some Castrol German 0w/30.

Next summer is tranny filter/flush.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    There is NO rattle, no noise. If there were any noise, I would've ripped it out with my bare hands.

Perhaps, someday down the road, I'd be open to replacing the mechanical with the hydraulic for both tensioners on my car (if the A/C one can be modified as well). For now, I think it's normal.

My next issues are the thrust arms and then address the power steering leak(s). I'm driving around with dealer-Mobil One in the engine and it makes me sick. I'm on the hunt for some Castrol German 0w/30.

Next summer is tranny filter/flush.
    Don't do the 0w-30.
    I'll just send you the good stuff!
    Amsoil 5w-40!

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Jason the car will NOT rev better with a hydra tensioner. It will not give it any performance extras. Maybe the old tensioner was on its way out or slightly seized. Maybe thats why you feel it.

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Jason the car will NOT rev better with a hydra tensioner. It will not give it any performance extras. Maybe the old tensioner was on its way out or slightly seized. Maybe that's why you feel it.
    Agreed.
    My old mechanical tensioner was bad.
    That is why I felt a difference when I installed the hydraulic tensioner.
    I guess I explained that wrong...
    The car didn't rev better, it just felt more peppy...
    Less drag on the engine...

Make sense...???
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 08-28-2009 at 01:23 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Agreed.
    My old mechanical tensioner was bad.
    That is why I felt a difference when I install the hydraulic tensioner.
    I guess I explained that wrong...
    The car didn't rev better, it just felt more peppy...
    Less drag on the engine...

Make sense...???
    The mechanical tensioner needs Amsoil for lube!

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Looking for a DIY? Parts? Check this out, it might be your ticket

Stable: e92is, e53 N62, e46M54B25, Tribby & e39 M54B30 R.I.P.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

LOL!
    I figured...

I am sure it needs a Harbor Freight ball joint separator tool too...

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    LOL!
    I figured...

I am sure it needs a Harbor Freight ball joint separator tool too...
    Harbor freight ball joint remover FTMFF.

I have seen those break and not look pretty anymore!

Another FP5241 Creation

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Harbor freight ball joint remover FTMFF.

I have seen those break and not look pretty anymore!
    Really?
    Mine worked like a champ!
    Michael has the same one, and just used it to replace some control arms, and he said it worked great.

Plus, if the tool does break, just take it back, and get another...

What is "FTMFF"???

My Cars
    02 540i 6MT
    for the mother f'ing fail

My Cars
    2007 530i 6
    FWIW, i had the dealer put in a brand new mechanical tensioner. It then, almost immediately started to make noises. I had it checked out, it was fine, but still mad the noise. Was told its pretty normal.
    I asked for it to be replaced since i absolutely hate any noises under there.

A BMW should not make any noises, I say.

SO, they put in the hydraulic tensioner and everything has been fine and noise-free since then.
    In defense of the mechanical tensioner however, I was told by the dealer that they last much longer than do the hydraulic ones.
    2007 E60 530i - Current
    2002 E39 530i - RIP

BMW CCA MEMBER 397411

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by razzy530 View Post
    FWIW, i had the dealer put in a brand new mechanical tensioner. It then, almost immediately started to make noises. I had it checked out, it was fine, but still mad the noise. Was told its pretty normal.

SO, they put in the hydraulic tensioner and everything has been fine and noise-free since then.
    In defense of the mechanical tensioner however, I was told by the dealer that they last much longer than do the hydraulic ones.

All mechanical tensioners are superseded by the hydraulic tensioners.
    So, if your car has the mechanical tensioner, and it fails, it is recommended to install the hydraulic tensioner.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I believe my tensioner is shot and I'm getting emo. It's raining cats and jawas out there, but before the rains came, I was listening and bottom line...my car has always been silent and it's got a noise now. I am 99% certain it's that tensioner. When it stops raining so I can actually hear things other than the wind/rain, I'll use the mechanic's stethascope.

I hate these things, noises etc. We specifically replaced all of them in April and I've driven the car less than 800 miles. WTF with this tensioner? It's a high pitch whistle. Makes me sick. I'm all emo over a tensioner lol.

Emo Tensioner Princess:

This is me right now:

Quote Originally Posted by razzy530 View Post

I would Darth Vader-choke the BMW person who told me noises are normal. Man.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 08-28-2009 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Fix it yet?
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast