Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast

Thread: How to install DIS w/ EasyDIS v44 step-by-step

My Cars
    E39,E53
    Sorry, realise what you mean now.

Mine occaisionally locks up but not to the extent yours does by the sound of things.
    I have to power off to get it back, but usually works the next time.

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Steamyrotter View Post
    Sorry, realise what you mean now.

Mine occaisionally locks up but not to the extent yours does by the sound of things.
    I have to power off to get it back, but usually works the next time.
    i have problem to boot DIS in VMware ... the first DIS page don't want to come ... after DIS booted all is fine but i need to do this GT1_v44 reboot many times to see first DIS page
    wait for my cables on this week so will be able to check it on car
    Last edited by champaign777; 03-08-2010 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    E39,E53
    Have you set the HDD size correctly?
    And have you tried using more (or even less!) memory under VM Ware?

May help a bit

(huh - me trying to sound like an expert (!), but only bits i have picked up on here)

My Cars
    2003 530i Sport
    yap 18.6 HDD and 512 operation
    yap i checked all ... 256, 512 and 1024 ... no luck

i am going to install VMware V7

last update :

issue resolved with VMware V7 and operation memory 1024
    Last edited by champaign777; 03-09-2010 at 05:20 PM.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990

made my own ADS interface....

When i was working on my oil temp/pressure interface for the cluster I realized that the same basic interface would also work on the 20 pin diagnostics connector, so I started a small spin-off project that breathed life last nite after I got the prototype board.

My criteria was that it should be fully contained in the plug and just have a serial connection at the output end. After a lot of fritzing around with layouts and possible donor plugs I decided on this solution:

I found I had enough space left over inside the plug to install a small toggle switch that I hooked up to the service interval reset pins, so now, rather putting a jumper (u do use a fuse too, right?)in the 20 pin connector after having searched for the correct positions, I can just pop in this adapter and toggle the small switch for the appropriate lenght of time.

Here is the adapter hooked up to an old EGS unit....

And here is the original interface I made hooked up to a cluster...

and some of the neat other stuff it lets me do.

I also hooked it up to the tranny computer...
    in this picture the first 'P' is what the actually EGS receives from the shift linkage, EGS:2 means that the tranny computer tells the tranny to use the second gear in the tranny, the '-' changes into a 'T' when the EGS tells the tranny to engage the lock-up in the Torque Converter and P: 56 is the signal from the EGS to the tranny to control the pressure on the clutchplates.

This works in E32 with a 4HP22/24 tranny and should also work in E34's with similar trannies, but not the 5HP series....

right now I am contemplating if there would be any interest in either circuit board as the price of the actual board goes way down as piece count goes up.
    Last edited by rv8flyboy; 03-19-2010 at 03:07 PM.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Wow ^^

Good work man, that is where I want to be eventually.

How did you encode the cluster for text?

My Cars
    E39 528IAT, E34 520I
    Hi,

First of all, thanks for all the info!! . I have been able to install everything and the API test is OK. Couldn't have done that without the very good instructions.

I have one problem though, I cannot get INPA to communicate with the car (a 91 E34, will try the e39 when I know everything is working). I have tried both ADS and OBD settings (with the correct edibas.ini and obd.ini edits). I have a carsoft interface.

Is this interface ADS or OBD? What setting should I use?

The interface works perfectly with carsoft, but when I try INPA I get a communication error message with the STD:OBD,
    or with the ADS setting INPA says BUSY, uses 100% of the CPU and nothing happens.

One more thing, when I use the STD:ODB setting, both battery and ignition is shown as off. When I use the ADS setting the battery is shown as on, the ignition off (while connected to the car with ignition on in both cases)

Would really appriciate some help here. Should I buy a different interface, (and which), or should this be possible to solve by some settings?

EDIT 1:
    I just found out about the diaghead emu, will this help?
    I have also found a candidate interace with the following specs, will this work? (It is advertised as an INPA 4 interface)
    - Connects to RS232 com port
    - Double K-Line support by two Motorola MC33199 K-Line drivers
    and logic gates
    - Battery voltage detection by RS232 control line
    - Ignition voltage detection by RS232 control line
    - Switchable K-Line pullups by RS232 control line

Last edited by Stian; 03-25-2010 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Added info

My Cars
    E38, E66
    Stian, my carsoft cables work with the STD:OBD or ADS setting in Ediabas.ini. I also have INPA cables from China/Ebay that have the same specs as you quoted. It was $40 with the 20 pin adapter. It works well including the battery and ignition detection.

Try running a diagnostic with carsoft right before opening INPA or even after INPA is running.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990

@ Snowcatxx87

This is the beauty, NO change to the cluster or any other components, I just inject my message on the same lines that the radio (if so equiped), the OBC and the telephones use. Those are party lines, anybody can speak on those so if u say " 'xcuse me " real nice, the Cluster says "Wasup?" and then u feed it the info. Any info u can think off....

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Are the wiring diagrams to attach your interface to individual modules available and easy to understand?
    Can you describe a little more how you did that? I'd be very interested in one of your interfaces if I felt confident that I could use it fully.
    I'd also want to know if you can communicate with those modules through the 20-pin connector nativity, or if you must connect wires to them individually to see the data, and to show it on the OBC display. ...
    Let me tell you what I'm thinking, and I'd like to know if I can do it. I want to permanently install this in a car, so that it is always monitoring systems, and connected to the other end, instead of a computer, would be a microcontroller (Arudino or something) to capture the error codes, and operating conditions, process the data and display custom messages, or detailed stats on the OBC.

My Cars
    328xi
    Great write-up! Got it installed using your exact instructions. Now I just need to get a cable. A few questions:
    1. Can this be used (v44) for e90 cars (2007 328xi)?
    2. Now that this is installed, can I close daemon tools (unmount, delete, etc.)? I only have the trial version so not sure what is going to happen in 20 days if I don't upgrade to paid version. So, I was wondering what would happen if I unistalled and deleted daemon tools. Does DIS/GT1 not work after that?
    3. If this version won't work for e90, what version is needed?

Thanks for all your help!!! This is a great tutorial!!

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    If you are using DIS v44, the latest release date was December 2005, so it works best with INPA v3.01/EDIABS v6.4.3 of similar vintage and only covers early E90's. You would probably be better off Getting hold of DIS v57 and using it with SSS (for coding/programming) and using them with a later version of INPA/EDIABAS (INPA v5.02/EDIABAS v6.4.7) on your car. Setup is basically the same, using the DIS v44 base with GT1 v57 program files. You can safely delete Daemontools if you wish, it is only used to mount .iso disks for the setup. I have burned both DIS and TIS to conventional DVD/CD's and do not need to use Daemontools at all.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990

@ randomy

Diagnostics adapter:
    In the car, all modules are attached to party lines (the K line and the L line). The software would have to address a particular unit (EGS, EML, IHKA, etc), open a dialog so to say, then request the info of interest.

Cluster display adapter:
    Again, several units are connected via party lines, (DAC and LAC). Here the software has to time the injection of the custom signal an X number of millisecs after the CCM is finished clocking synchronous data to the cluster.

Both adapters are straight forward as far as wiring is concerned, then again, I would think that as I designed them

I put he boards on BatchPCB so u can have yer own copy of the boards made, included in the price is a programmed chip and the schematics. All other parts are off-the-shelf at Digikey.

The ADS interface is at: http://www.batchpcb.com/index.php/Products/29433 called "ADS_DIL V1.1 21mar10".

and the Cluster interface is at: http://www.batchpcb.com/index.php/Products/28685 called "E32 Oiltemp2 V2.1 11mar10". It says E32 (that's what I drive) but also works in the E34 as it uses the same protocol.

my next step is to develop an ADS-OBD interface that would be sold as a kit.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 SMG
    Hi Gents

First off i just want to say thanks to the OP for the DIY. It really helped with my DIS installation.

Now onto my problem. DIS is installed and working. All the files have been correctly edited. I have communication from my Diaghead ie 192.168.68.1 to DIS on 192.168.68.30, i can ping between the two. When i load IFHSrv32.exe i can see 192.168.68.30 next to it in the title menu. Which is correct. So comm's are definetely there.

I run the APItest and it seems to be ok, but when running the test in DIS it fails on Diaghead. When i try and go into Diagnose it pops up with an error about not being able to connect to a diaghead, then i continue and i get all the voltage/ignition warnings. I try to manually enter my car and i still cant communicate with any modules.

The strange this is INPA is working 100%, i can read the modules etc. But in INPA my ignition isnt sensing whether it is on or off, this is probably due to the cable. I opened my cable up and its an ebay chinese one, with a 232CWE chip. Only a couple of the pins are connected aswell. So, do you think the issue could be due to the fact that in DIS it is not sensing the ignition ? and hence a canle problem.

I have tried everything else and nothing has worked.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

THanks

My Cars
    96 328i, 07 E91 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by rv8flyboy View Post
    Diagnostics adapter:
    In the car, all modules are attached to party lines (the K line and the L line). The software would have to address a particular unit (EGS, EML, IHKA, etc), open a dialog so to say, then request the info of interest.

Cluster display adapter:
    Again, several units are connected via party lines, (DAC and LAC). Here the software has to time the injection of the custom signal an X number of millisecs after the CCM is finished clocking synchronous data to the cluster.

Both adapters are straight forward as far as wiring is concerned, then again, I would think that as I designed them

I put he boards on BatchPCB so u can have yer own copy of the boards made, included in the price is a programmed chip and the schematics. All other parts are off-the-shelf at Digikey.

The ADS interface is at: http://www.batchpcb.com/index.php/Products/29433 called "ADS_DIL V1.1 21mar10".

and the Cluster interface is at: http://www.batchpcb.com/index.php/Products/28685 called "E32 Oiltemp2 V2.1 11mar10". It says E32 (that's what I drive) but also works in the E34 as it uses the same protocol.

my next step is to develop an ADS-OBD interface that would be sold as a kit.
    Thanks for the response. Can you advise me which application that you are using to communicate through the interface, and output temps and custom messages to your instrument display?

My Cars
    E70 3.0sd E21 323i
    M3FTW, have you downloaded all the latest Microsoft .net updates? I have seen a similar problem very recently which this cured.

My Cars
    540i tourer
    hello all this has made interesting reading. just a quick question, i have an ibm t30 laptop willi need to the vmware prog and mount images to install or....?

excuse my english, im bristolian dont hold it against me though

ahhhhh, sorry i read the thread again and i noticed someone else with a t30 already answered my question, been along night, being out in the rain sorting out the mess of drunken students on the rampage bang their heads together sorts them out
    Last edited by tonybear; 04-01-2010 at 10:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46 318i M43

This thread is not complete without deciding on proper interface

I have read this thread and others but up to now I could not come to conclusion about proper hardware or interface

Also many people are asking in many forums about proper hardware device for their own models

I think it is good idea to start new thread for discussing about proper interface

In eBay you find many devices from yellow head to cheap NEW Ediabas/INPA BMW compatible OBDII Interfaces

Also you can find D-CAM module for GT1 for about 120$
    carsoft interface is another option.

I think for some of these devices you should edit some .ini files and do some settings but up to now I only could find some patch posts and I could not find any comprehensive Thread.

I do not have enough information and just using simple ELM327 for reading my codes but it would be highly appreciated if someone starts such a thread

For first question let me ask if I install DIS by this thread's method can I use this device easily and can I take all advantages if DIS with this cable
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...0&postcount=24

My car is E46 with 20 pin connector

Also wanted to thank all especially Randomy and David MC for their helpful posts
    Last edited by jimjavad; 04-03-2010 at 09:56 PM.

My Cars
    M3 E46 Cabrio
    @M3FTW,

it could be your interface which seems not fully following the special modifications that an OBD serial INPA/GT1 interface should have on top of a standard serial OBDII interface. You can most likely do the modifications yourselves to the interface (if you know anything about electronics and have a Volt/Ohm meter to check for Voltages and contact over the pins), read the modification link at the bottom of this self-build site for OBD interfaces (this interface works 100%, I use it with INPA and DIS) or my short hand of it below.

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...kw-interf.html

I have build this guys interface after a BMW diagnosis wizard in Germany (MALIBOO building his own diag software for BMW!?) said it was the one to have, it is 100% compatible with INPA and DIS (acutally with EDIABAS STD:OBD) and the modifications to a standard OBDII serial KL interface are clearly described on the selfbuild site (english a straight babelfish translation of his german pages but you'l understand). The guy also sells the build kit for 15 Euro in his shop (link on the site). Here how a true KL interface looks (work for std OBDII serial dianosis software (not ELM type software)):

Please observe the 1-4 OBD reference is for the internal connection card to the OBD socket, the schema below lists the corresponding OBD pins.

Here the mods a std OBDII serial interface (a so called KL interface) needs to have to be BMW diagnosis compatible (works also with BMW scanner demo, would assume Carsoft would also work but have'n tried it as Carsoft doesn't bring anything when you have INPA/NCS and GT1), as modified schematic and in words:

Here the mods it has over the std interface above:

1. pin 7 and 8 of the OBD interface connected (check shortcircuit over OBD pins)
    2. uses DTR instead of RTS (pin4 on sub D RS232) (make sure of short between DTR and one of the entry points for the cable on the board).
    3. make sure pin 1 of OBD is connected to DSR (pin 6 of a sub RS232) over a 1k resistance (measure about 1k over these pins)
    4. make sure RS232 RI (pin 9 of sub D RS232) is connected with OBD pin 16 (+ battery feed to detect battery signal) over a 1k resistance (check resistance RI to OBD pin16, should be approx 1kOhm when you have the + lead on pin 16 (otherwise the D1 polarity protection diode (if they have one) would block the measurement, read the RI voltage to 12+ volts when connected in car as alternative).

I would guess 1-3 is made but not 4.

@jimjavad,

most INPA serial interfaces on EBAY are copies of this guys interface schematic (or a similar design), it is openly published so they use it. But you can not be sure that the chinese guys did all the 4 modifications as per above, if you want to be 100% sure order the kit and build it or have it soldered by someone who can. But the easiest way is perhaps to buy one of Ebay and check the 4 points above, if they are ok the interface is most likely ok as well.
    Last edited by ferpe; 04-03-2010 at 05:45 PM.

My Cars
    750 IL 1990

@radomy

For the cluster, all software is contained in the chip I programmed. So, no extarnal program is involved. U attach to the DAC and LAC lines, feed it 12 volt and ground and hook up two sensors.

I made a piggyback connector that sits under X16 on the cluster, so no splicing of the wiring is neccesary, just a good ground and two wires from the sensors.

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by ferpe View Post
    @M3FTW,

it could be your interface which seems not fully following the special modifications that an OBD serial INPA/GT1 interface should have on top of a standard serial OBDII interface. You can most likely do the modifications yourselves to the interface (if you know anything about electronics and have a Volt/Ohm meter to check for Voltages and contact over the pins), read the modification link at the bottom of this self-build site for OBD interfaces (this interface works 100%, I use it with INPA and DIS) or my short hand of it below.

http://66.163.168.225/babelfish/tran...kw-interf.html

I have build this guys interface after a BMW diagnosis wizard in Germany (MALIBOO building his own diag software for BMW!?) said it was the one to have, it is 100% compatible with INPA and DIS (acutally with EDIABAS STD:OBD) and the modifications to a standard OBDII serial KL interface are clearly described on the selfbuild site (english a straight babelfish translation of his german pages but you'l understand). The guy also sells the build kit for 15 Euro in his shop (link on the site). Here how a true KL interface looks (work for std OBDII serial dianosis software (not ELM type software)):

Please observe the 1-4 OBD reference is for the internal connection card to the OBD socket, the schema below lists the corresponding OBD pins.

Here the mods a std OBDII serial interface (a so called KL interface) needs to have to be BMW diagnosis compatible (works also with BMW scanner demo, would assume Carsoft would also work but have'n tried it as Carsoft doesn't bring anything when you have INPA/NCS and GT1), as modified schematic and in words:

Here the mods it has over the std interface above:

1. pin 7 and 8 of the OBD interface connected (check shortcircuit over OBD pins)
    2. uses DTR instead of RTS (pin4 on sub D RS232) (make sure of short between DTR and one of the entry points for the cable on the board).
    3. make sure pin 1 of OBD is connected to DSR (pin 6 of a sub RS232) over a 1k resistance (measure about 1k over these pins)
    4. make sure RS232 RI (pin 9 of sub D RS232) is connected with OBD pin 16 (+ battery feed to detect battery signal) over a 1k resistance (check resistance RI to OBD pin16, should be approx 1kOhm when you have the + lead on pin 16 (otherwise the D1 polarity protection diode (if they have one) would block the measurement, read the RI voltage to 12+ volts when connected in car as alternative).

I would guess 1-3 is made but not 4.

@jimjavad,

most INPA serial interfaces on EBAY are copies of this guys interface schematic (or a similar design), it is openly published so they use it. But you can not be sure that the chinese guys did all the 4 modifications as per above, if you want to be 100% sure order the kit and build it or have it soldered by someone who can. But the easiest way is perhaps to buy one of Ebay and check the 4 points above, if they are ok the interface is most likely ok as well.
    Thanks for your reply, very very informative. I will have my mate who is an electronics Guru hack the one i have and sort the ignition sensing out.

@ David MC, thanks mate. Did an update as well as downloaded the latest MS .net and it worked. I can now use DIS

The only problem i am having is the following. I drive an E46 M3 and BMW have programmed a "dyno mode" into the ECU that doesnt allow the car to rev past 6600 rpm on a dyno. This is due to the front wheels standing still and the rears moving, so it goes into a "failsafe" mode.

Now with INPA there is an option to enable "rolling road mode" which should disable the failsafe. However i have tried it in INPA and it doesnt work. Now people say that DIS is just like GT1 and i KNOW you can turn it off using the GT1. For the life of me i cant find the option under DIS to turn it off. Its under "Special M GMBH" setting in Inpa but i cant find that under DIS.

Anyone able to help ?

Thanks

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    Hi M3FTW
    If you go in DIS to the expert menu you will find the Dyno function there, I saw it once and know it is there but can not remember offhand where exactly in the menu.

Cheers
    C

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Katvis View Post
    Hi M3FTW
    If you go in DIS to the expert menu you will find the Dyno function there, I saw it once and know it is there but can not remember offhand where exactly in the menu.

Cheers
    C
    Thanks mate, where exactly is the "expert" menu. I didnt see that when playing around.

My Cars
    E66 760Li
    Quote Originally Posted by M3FTW View Post
    Thanks mate, where exactly is the "expert" menu. I didnt see that when playing around.

Here you go: DIS Expert

Cheers
    C

My Cars
    2004 BMW M3 SMG
    Quote Originally Posted by Katvis View Post
    Here you go: DIS Expert

Cheers
    C
    Thanks man, should have searched. I tested this tonight and it doesnt work. I get to all the pages but i dont see the test schedule button, mine says test plan. When i click on that i see the errors that i have logged, no "expert mode" page. Very frustrating.

I am wondering if i should clear all the codes first and then test to see what it gives me. I will do that tomorrow when i have more time. Wonder if its a version issue. I am running V44

Page 6 of 40 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast