Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Umm..Need Advice...VANOS job in progress after 40k on an oil change

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT

Umm..Need Advice...VANOS job in progress after 40k on an oil change

Okay...those of you following this saga...know the story....but the guy I am helping out (tps7c) waited 40k in between oil changes...so we decided to do his VANOS to see what the damage is.....The below is what we have, and I am speechless....I need help....I need my mommy.

Seriously though...I think we are going to remove as much as we can....do the VANOS job and let some Auto RX remove the sludge...hopefully.

My question is...at this point should we worry about trying to remove all of the visible sludge?

Oh yeah...actually 60k...I had to beat the truth outta him...lol

Looking for ideas and not smart ass comments...Toms a good guy...and is learning a valuable lesson....lol

Whats better than one Bimmer at the Wilson's.....Two!!!

Starting out....yeah we are cleaning his engine compartment also.

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMGOMG

Helppppppppp!!!!!!

Backside of Cover.....Mommy!!!!!

Sooo....If anyone has any other ideas...we are hip deep in shit as of 2030 Eastern Time.

Thanks for any help

Dane
    Last edited by danewilson77; 08-01-2009 at 08:29 PM.

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    E46 M3
    OH.....MY......GOD.....!!!

WOW!!!

Dane, wish I could've been there! I think you should clean up as much as you possibly can and AutoRX or Seafoam it.

WOW

That looks like one of those Castrol commercials!!!

Oh Mr. Wiiilllsoooonnnn!!
    Last edited by Phillips0417; 08-01-2009 at 08:37 PM.

My Cars
    E60 M5, 330i ZHP
    I guess you could try to get all that you can without removing all the components, but removing and cleaning will be your best shot. I'm not sure if you can spray any cleaners in there. Clean the backside of the valve cover with degreaser or simple green of some type.

Just curious why did he wait 40k between oil changes?..

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Phillips0417 View Post
    OH.....MY......GOD.....!!!

WOW!!!

Dane, wish I could've been there! I think you should clean up as much as you possibly can and AutoRX or Seafoam it.

WOW

That looks like one of those Castrol commercials!!!

Oh Mr. Wiiilllsoooonnnn!!

lol....will post pics of the vanos pistons in a bit...not there yet...lol

Quote Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
    I guess you could try to get all that you can without removing all the components, but removing and cleaning will be your best shot. I'm not sure if you can spray any cleaners in there. Clean the backside of the valve cover with degreaser or simple green of some type.

Just curious why did he wait 40k between oil changes?..
    ummm...actually 60k....and the reason is not important. thanks for the advice....
    Last edited by danewilson77; 08-01-2009 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    G05, F15, E46, E21 (x2)
    Wow. Certainly clean up the valve cover (it is going to be tough getting that crud off the cover) and the VANOS unit while you have it out. Remove the intake cam cover and clean it. Other than that, you can try to use a shop vac to clean some of the crud of the head, but avoid scraping as you will dislodge the crud and it might block an oil return passage or the pump pick up. Reassemble the engine and use an engine cleaner in the oil (BG44k for oil comes to mind). Go ahead and use a cheap dino oil at first while you are cleaning. Do it a few times, then fill with synthetic to continue to clean and keep in clean.

Good luck. Did I say WOW!

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Go out and get some engine degreaser from local parts store... soak that valve cover for a good 15 minutes.. scrub with a brush (dish scrubber or carpet scrubber even some wheel brushes) rinse with a hose. As for the head being covered in shit... Grab some lint free rags (shop towels) and lightly spray the head with the degreaser. Wipe as much as you can... Might need more than one rag. After everything is sealed up and put back together... Run a lighter weight oil (to clean up the oil passages) with an engine cleaner (the less you use the safest...) and run for recommended time. Change out the oil (I would use thicker weight for more protection) And hope for the best. Definetly use 2-3k oil changes for the next few. Wow shit happens, just gotta pay for it in the end.

Good luck guys.
    Last edited by slvrXI; 08-01-2009 at 09:59 PM.
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrXI View Post
    Go out and get some engine degreaser from local parts store... soak that valve cover for a good 15 minutes.. scrub with a brush (dish scrubber or carpet scrubber even some wheel brushes) rinse with a hose. As for the head being covered in shit... Grab some lint free rags (shop towels) and lightly spray the head with the degreaser. Wipe as much as you can... Might need more than one rag. After everything is sealed up and put back together... Run a lighter weight oil (to clean up the oil passages) with an engine cleaner (the less you use the safest...) and run for recommended time. Change out the oil (I would use thicker weight for more protection) And hope for the best. Definetly use 2-3k oil changes for the next few. Wow shit happens, just gotta pay for it in the end.

Good luck guys.
    hahahahahaha...use more than one rag....hahahahahahaha

we have done as directed....we will do his oil rx tomorrow, as we don't have that....thanks for the help slvrXI

Ya...that is the size of a baseball.....no softball
    Last edited by danewilson77; 08-01-2009 at 10:15 PM.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    I was gonna suggest some degreaser as well; where's a part washer when ya need it Make him scrub his valve cover with a toothbrush or 10...j/k j/k

Good advice to remove the intake cam cover and clean. I've heard of old timers putting kerosene or even a little diesel through the engine with the oil for occasions such as this; not endorsing it, just heard of it.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    I was gonna suggest some degreaser as well; where's a part washer when ya need it Make him scrub his valve cover with a toothbrush or 10...j/k j/k

Good advice to remove the intake cam cover and clean. I've heard of old timers putting kerosene or even a little diesel through the engine with the oil for occasions such as this; not endorsing it, just heard of it.
    He cleaned both covers with a toothbrush.....srsly!!!

re=assembly in progress....

Thanks Phillips

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Did you already get the Vanos rebuilt? That is a $hitload of sludge...

Anytime buddy

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Going back together now.......hopefully the auto rx gets the rest....

Electric Fan FTW!!!!!!! LOL

My Cars
    E60 M5, 330i ZHP
    Be careful how much of that autorx you put in, you don't the sludge clogging up an oil passage and causing a drop in oil pressure. Causing more damage.

My Cars
    2013 Mustang 5.slow
    Brake cleaner and a shit load of rags, thats all i have to say. I'd do a very very thorough cleaning and then relubricate afterwards. I would not leave that motor in that condition. srsly. Explain to your buddy he is very very lucky he didn't blow his motor. 40k oil changes is

Edit: On a side note, this makes me want to run out side and pull my valve cover just to see what condition the motor is in.
    Last edited by Synn88; 08-02-2009 at 02:24 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by illiano View Post
    This is how sexual predators work. They just want to "arrange a meeting." Then they make a wind-chime out of your genitals.
    Quote Originally Posted by mishaken View Post
    Thedaddy is just upset he lives in the flaccid dick of America.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckaGDog View Post
    Be careful how much of that autorx you put in, you don't the sludge clogging up an oil passage and causing a drop in oil pressure. Causing more damage.
    OK....thanks.....time for bed....test drive was SAT!!!!

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    Well I just drove it home, and she's still alive! Dane and his son saved my arse on this one. Gotta give him mad props as he gave up 6 hours on a Saturday to help me salvage this mess. I have some pics to post too, but it's 3am and I need to take a shower and hit the sheets, so that will have to wait until tomorrow.

BTW, It's never good to find a golf ball sized piece of sludge underneath your cam....

My Cars
    2004 330i zhp s/c
    if you want to clean out more sludge you can run a bottle of auto trans fluid with some cheap oil for 30 minute then drain and fill with bmw oil.

My Cars
    E46 M3
    You should probably do some cheap oil for at least 2 oil changes @ shorter intervals, maybe 1500 miles..? Just a suggestion.

Good job fellas! I have my parts too and was gonna come down with yall.

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    You should probably do some cheap oil for at least 2 oil changes @ shorter intervals, maybe 1500 miles..? Just a suggestion.

Good job fellas! I have my parts too and was gonna come down with yall.
    You should have! It was definitely a learning experience. We're going to do the autorx/oil change on Monday.

Hey Phillips you fly r/c's??? I just started flying a Gaui 550............steep learning curve lol..

And once again, thanks to Dane and Justin for all their help! This job is no walk in the park, and without them I'm sure it would have taken me an entire weekend!

My Cars
    E46 M3
    Hey, yeah I fly Extreme 3D RC Helicopters. I fly 60 and 90 size Nitro Helis. I just started like 3 years ago and it's an obsession, even more than my car! I started out on a sim, it's a great learning tool to have, I definitely recommend it for new pilots. http://www.realflight.com/ It's a couple hundred dollars, but well worth it for learning! It's a hell of a lot easier to push that little red reset button than to tear up your heli!!!

Have you ever flown before? It's great that you went right for a big electric because the big ones are easier to fly than the small ones. The Gaui 550 is nice, it was built to rival T-Rex's 600 series heli. T-Rex was previously the only ones who made a "big" electric heli.

Good for you man! Glad to see another person getting into the hobby! It's by no means cheap, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Here's a video for ya, my middle name is Will
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0Axj3ELdg[/ame]

Sorry to hijack your thread

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Hey, yeah I fly Extreme 3D RC Helicopters. I fly 60 and 90 size Nitro Helis. I just started like 3 years ago and it's an obsession, even more than my car! I started out on a sim, it's a great learning tool to have, I definitely recommend it for new pilots. http://www.realflight.com/ It's a couple hundred dollars, but well worth it for learning! It's a hell of a lot easier to push that little red reset button than to tear up your heli!!!

Have you ever flown before? It's great that you went right for a big electric because the big ones are easier to fly than the small ones. The Gaui 550 is nice, it was built to rival T-Rex's 600 series heli. T-Rex was previously the only ones who made a "big" electric heli.

Good for you man! Glad to see another person getting into the hobby! It's by no means cheap, but a hell of a lot of fun.

Here's a video for ya, my middle name is Will
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck0Axj3ELdg

Sorry to hijack your thread
    He just said "even more than my car"........

My Cars
    2004 325i
    Thats not thinking with your Dipstick JIMMY!

Good save. Lesson well learned.

My Cars
    2004 325ci
    I'm running out to a wedding now but I'll post some pics when I get back tonight around 10pm......

Phillips, I'll PM you later about the heli's, as I don't want a mod to say "keep on topic" lol.....

My Cars
    E60 M5, 330i ZHP
    Will you guys be taking off the valve cover again after treatment with the auto-rx? I would be very interested in seeing the results.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Maybe.....I would be interested as well.

It's up to Tps7c.....I will support if thats what he want to do.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    What oil did you choose for the Auto-RX clean and rinse cycle?

You might need to change the filter a couple of additional times during the clean and rinse phase. IMO, it'll be worth looking at the oil filter after about 50 miles, then after about 500 miles. It'll be picking up the little blobs of stuff you dislodged during your wiping/cleaning.

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast