Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: BMW Z3 Lockwood Dials

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Smile BMW Z3 Lockwood Dials

My new Lockwood dials arrived today! - I've already got the red LED's for the back lighting and I'm just waiting on the red needle paint arriving and then I'll get them fitted! - I decided to go from cream coloured dials as I thought they might suit the beige tan leather interior of my Z3 better than white..

2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20) = Current
    2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200 AMG Line = Current

My Cars
    '96 Z3
    Awesome! Didn't know you could buy them separately from the whole meter assembly. Where did you buy them and at what price?

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by mabakker View Post
    Awesome! Didn't know you could buy them separately from the whole meter assembly. Where did you buy them and at what price?
    I got them from eBay (less than £20 GBP delivered!):

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=250369796221

The manufacturer is Lockwood: http://www.lockwoodinternational.co.uk/

and you can get them in a few different colours: white, blue, cream, green, red, silver and yellow.

HTH

My Cars
    Z3 and Z4 M Coupe
    How are you going to put the needles back in the correct position?

When you take the needles off the 'hing' part of the needle moves past the '0' mark.
    Drink wine! BMW CCA #373875 - 2007 M Coupe (project) - 2000 Z3 Coupe - 2015 Impreza wagon

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI
    Quote Originally Posted by Codeman View Post
    How are you going to put the needles back in the correct position?

When you take the needles off the 'hing' part of the needle moves past the '0' mark.
    these can be fitted without removing the needles.. they can be slid over the needle and rotated into place (hence why it's in 2 parts)..

I'll be removing the needles though as I'm painting them also and will mark their position (past the stop peg) prior to removal.. I'll then test them through the cluster test to make sure they move freely and test them with GPS for accuracy before and after.. did the same on my MR2 and it wasn't too hard TBH I doubt accuracy will be an issue - it's a pretty straightforward job fitting the dial faces..

here's a picture of a white set fitted (with painted needles):

Last edited by pangsterZ3; 07-26-2009 at 06:35 PM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Glad you like them! Now your car looks like it has Chrysler gauges! j/k whatever floats your boat bud!
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    1994 325is
    I have "No" sympathy for any women who's occupation is a stripper. I think she got just what she deserved. She should have more respect for herself than to flaunt her body in front of a bunch of guys. It is like dangling a steak in front of a lion and not expect him to go after it. How stupid can she be? How did she ever get accepted to college with her lack of common sense?

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Glad you like them! Now your car looks like it has Chrysler gauges! j/k whatever floats your boat bud!
    it would do if the were EL dials.. which they're not! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by yonoconozco View Post

PMSL!! - fair point - not to everyone's taste.. but if they were 'ricer' like you claim - then why would some of the bigger tuning companies on the BMW scene (Hamann, DINAN and Hartge) offer gauge faces?...

i.e. HAMANN:

LOL! - I don't think you know the meaning of 'rice' - yet you seem to refer to it in every second post you make..
    Last edited by pangsterZ3; 07-27-2009 at 03:29 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    99 M Rdstr, 92 325ic,
    paint the needles? you may want to look into the "red sharpie" mod.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pangsterZ3 View Post
    it would do if the were EL dials.. which they're not! LOL!

PMSL!! - fair point - not to everyone's taste.. but if they were 'ricer' like you claim - then why would some of the bigger tuning companies on the BMW scene (Hamann, DINAN and Hartge) offer gauge faces?...

i.e. HAMANN:

LOL! - I don't think you know the meaning of 'rice' - yet you seem to refer to it in every second post you make..
    Glad to see you can take all opinions, not just positive ones. On another note, what color is your Z? I like! Hope you guys are getting some sunny skies, Everytime I hear the weather report on Radio 1 it's always rainy in Scotland and Northern England.

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Smile

Glad to see you can take all opinions, not just positive ones. On another note, what color is your Z? I like! Hope you guys are getting some sunny skies, Everytime I hear the weather report on Radio 1 it's always rainy in Scotland and Northern England.
    I don't have any problems taking good or bad opinions on board.. we're all unique at the end of the day and all have varied tastes and opinions.. however, someone who just posts a picture as a response isn't really offering anything constructive to the thread or quantifying their opinion though and they just come across as trying to be a bit of a smart arse..

On the other hand - If you post up saying "you don't like something or it's not to your taste because of X" then that's entirely different and given every second post of his seems to be describing something as 'rice' then I guess he has issues! LOL!

The colour of my car is Montreal Blue and it has a beige/tan leather interior with black dash and carpets - I posted some better pics up before..

R.E. the weather its been fairly decent on the whole recently.. I might even get the roof down driving home after work today! LOL! nice coupe BTW - you don't tend to see too many in yellow!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Quote Originally Posted by pangsterZ3 View Post
    I don't have any problems taking good or bad opinions on board.. we're all unique at the end of the day and all have varied tastes and opinions.. however, someone who just posts a picture as a response isn't really offering anything constructive to the thread or quantifying their opinion though and they just come across as trying to be a bit of a smart arse..

On the other hand - If you post up saying "you don't like something or it's not to your taste because of X" then that's entirely different and given every second post of his seems to be describing something as 'rice' then I guess he has issues! LOL!

The colour of my car is Montreal Blue and it has a beige/tan leather interior with black dash and carpets - I posted some better pics up before..

R.E. the weather its been fairly decent on the whole recently.. I might even get the roof down driving home after work today! LOL! nice coupe BTW - you don't tend to see too many in yellow!
    Thanks, but she's a roady, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Needs new rear tyres though...

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Smile

Thanks, but she's a roady, and I wouldn't have it any other way. Needs new rear tyres though...
    LOL!!!- see what I mean about those Yellow Coupes being rare!!

(nice roadster BTW!! - I think I was getting you confused with someone else! )

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Nice DOF shot..

My Cars
    99' Z3, 11' STI, Ruckus
    I would love it if I could get gauges that were the same as what is in there now just simpler. I suppose I could just mod mine, but I don't know what would work. I want to just delete some of the stuff from viewing, like this:
    From this:

To This:

Then again, now that I look at them side by side I also like the stock. It looks more like an airplane cockpit. I just want brighter red lights.
    Last edited by The ZED; 07-27-2009 at 01:51 PM.

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    There's some e36 versions that are cleaned up floating around. They have the mpg indicator on them though.

My Cars
    2000 Z3 2.3
    like the color, but not fond of the font, congrats on the DIY tho
    "Happiness isn't around the corner, it is the corner"

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Smile

got around to fitting my lockwood dials today! - pretty happy with the results and think it works pretty well with my interior! - I still need to get LEDS for the back lighting though and have not decided about painting the needles yet (I've bought the paint - but wanted to see what it was like with the stock needles first) - will get around do doing a write up tonight or tomorrow!

My Cars
    '02 Z3 3.0i 5 speed
    That does look nice with your interior. Good work.

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by cngizbleevng View Post
    That does look nice with your interior. Good work.
    thanks!!

My Cars
    Z3
    Nice work pangster - colour change really suits your zed. Agree with MrBenz though about the Lockwood logo, it would bug me too
    Current...1998 ///M Coupe

Previous...1997 Z3 2.8

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by MrBenz View Post
    btw, do you have any bigger pics of the faces that Hamman offered? they look interesting.

-OG
    sorry I don't - just the ones I posted - I think they're pretty rare TBH

Quote Originally Posted by myredzed View Post
    Nice work pangster - colour change really suits your zed. Agree with MrBenz though about the Lockwood logo, it would bug me too
    thanks! - you don't really notice the lettering to be honest.. although it is a pity you can't get them 'plain' - probably look a lot cleaner. Stage 2 of the dial transformation should happen this week as I've just received the red needle paint and am just waiting on the LEDS i've ordered to arrive -so if I get a chance I'll get it finished this weekend and post up a guide.
    Last edited by pangsterZ3; 08-18-2009 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    I've always loved the blue dials that Alpina runs...

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    2015 M135i LCI

Talking

I had some time free today so I got round to painting the needles and changing the bulbs to LEDS.

Painted needles (a lot better contrast now than the white against the cream! LOL!) - I just painted the front/face of the needle and left the back and the sides as is - as I figured the light would reflect better off the white background through the red:

I changed the 3 x 501 style back lighting wedge bulbs for these LEDS (good brightness and spread of light):

I also changed the LEDS for the back lighting in the odometer to red (to match the red back lighting) - in addition I also added LEDS for petrol light, high beams, oil, battery and indicators - the rest are still stock bulbs.

BEFORE (standard dials and stock lighting):

AFTER (cream Lockwood dials with red LED back lighting):

I'm not 100% happy with how the needles have turned out. They look perfect in daylight - but a little patchy at night (as the above pics show) - I'll have another go at them tomorrow if I get a chance! LOL!

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Where did you pick up the leds, and how bright does it make the dash? I am looking for replacements because the stock bulbs look washed out and when one goes out, it all turns to crap easily. I'd prefer leds but worry that they may be too bright. Most of the BMW stuff uses fiberoptic style lighting anyway.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast