Thread: Tenax fastener confusion - help..

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

Tenax fastener confusion - help..

I just purchased an OEM Mesh Wind Screen knowing full well it did not come with the attachement hardware, but for the price it was a bargain (thanks Wildag).

My question is this.. So my car has the Tenax studs there and the wind screen has two large holes in the bottom bracket for it to attach to the rear console via those studs, but I don't have the faster part. Is what is pictured what I need? (see link above) Or do I need a different type of fastener?
    Last edited by tmaher; 07-22-2009 at 12:19 PM.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Hey Tom, you don't actually need the fasteners. The part thats missing is basically what you already have screwed in on the back of the console now. They are the same, but the screw is longer, with a flat area for the wind deflector to slip on to. I can grab a shot for you but it won't be till much later tonight or tomorrow.

-Al.
    Quote Originally Posted by tmaher View Post
    So, I have found a source for Tenax fasteners - as seen here.. http://ep.yimg.com/ip/I/eagleday_2061_20602402

I just purchased an OEM Mesh Wind Screen knowing full well it did not come with the attachement hardware, but for the price it was a bargain (thanks Wildag).

My question is this.. So my car has the Tenax studs there and the wind screen has two large holes in the bottom bracket for it to attach to the rear console via those studs, but I don't have the faster part. Is what is pictured what I need? (see link above) Or do I need a different type of fastener?

Thanks! Also, I spoke with roadstersolutions and I was told that the fasteners included were extended so that you could still attach the soft top boot cover (of which I still need to buy) - IS this true and are there two types of fasteners that could be used to hold the wind screen on?
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Thanks Al - So, if I just find the longer Tenax studs with the flat and replace mine with them, that's it then? That makes life easy

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Thanks Al - So, if I just find the longer Tenax studs with the flat and replace mine with them, that's it then? That makes life easy
    Pretty much yeah... the flat piece is actually just a round plastic sleeve that fits over the stud between the console and the tenax head.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    I should have waited for your reply - I totally get it now.. Not unlike what I just posted, BUT.. They are using a sleeve or shank as a stop and simply using a longer threaded part on the Tenax. Those are easy to find!

So, if you look at this page.. http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/...steners~tenax/

You can see part # 137 and 137B - whereas 137 is similar to the ones in my car now, and 137B with the longer threads is what I would need - but I would need to provide my own collar to prevent the stud from bottoming out and at the same time provide a smooth surface to not wear out the wind screen base..

Now for the million dollar question...

What is the thread size for those Tenax studs? Is it 2BA?
    Last edited by tmaher; 07-22-2009 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 z3 2.5 roadster

Last week I ordered these from Circlebmw.com and they had them onsale last week and should arrive today.

Shipping was $8; Part number is

82150002111 subtotal = $ 8.40 (No Tax) Mounting Kit

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Quote Originally Posted by cincychuck View Post
    Last week I ordered these from Circlebmw.com and they had them onsale last week and should arrive today.

Shipping was $8; Part number is

82150002111 subtotal = $ 8.40 (No Tax) Mounting Kit
    Wow. Thanks for that! So this is the whole mounting kit for the wind screen? Or is it just the longer Tenax with the sleeves?

FYI - I ahve heard good things about circle bmw.. And I think they offer a 20% discount to BMW CCA members

My Cars
    '97 Z3 1.9 DASC Auto
    Wow. Thanks for that! So this is the whole mounting kit for the wind screen? Or is it just the longer Tenax with the sleeves?

FYI - I ahve heard good things about circle bmw.. And I think they offer a 20% discount to BMW CCA members
    It's a European part number.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...=54&fg=95&hl=3

My Cars
    2002 z3 2.5 roadster

Just the Tenax fasteners and sleeves. I think they also have the front hooks and snaps if you are missing those. I did not need those parts as the prior owner still had them. The hooks have their own part number that I think you will see on the realoemparts link.

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Dude! You are the man! I looked everywhere for those. I went through realoem and couldn't find them. Thank you!!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Cool, looks like you dont need the pic anymore. Glad to see it's sorted!

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Yes. Thank you!