Thread: P1349 Error Code

My Cars
    Z3, X5, 328xi

P1349 Error Code

My wife's E39 (2001 530, 3.0L, 82k on it) has been intermittently acting wierd. Would occasionally die for no apparent reason. Then, last evening she noted that it was running quite rough, and the SES light came on. I drove it today, and it felt like it was missing on probably one cylinder. Took it to my friendly mechanic, who pulled the codes. It read P1349, which apparently is Misfire on Cylinder 4. We pulled the coils on 3 and 4 to look at both and compare. They looked the same, with just a little white corrosion on the connector in #4. We swapped 3 and 4, and put everything back together, cleared the codes. I left, not really sure if we had solved anything. But, I knew that if the code came back, we would have to look elsewhere.

Drove about three blocks. Outside temp ~85. AC on. City traffic, so speed was limited to about 35mph. Code popped up again.

Drove back, and them re-read the code. Again it showed P1349. Now he tells me the next most likely thing is the intake gasket. Of course, it costs more. I'm waiting to hear the $$$ on that.

No other codes. So, I'm not thinking that the MAF is a likely culprit.

Any thoughts? I will post anything more on this story as I learn.

So, after a trip to Urgent Care, now the 5 has to be admitted for some (hopefully not too major) surgery.

My Cars
    None
    Faulty Intake Camshaft position sensor could sometimes throw 1349 ..
    “Who really can face the future? All you can do is project from the past, even when the past shows that such projections are often wrong. And who really can forget the past? What else is there to know?”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Just checking to see if OP learned any more regarding the P1349 code. Mine just threw the same code today. The troubleshooting begins.

My Cars
    2001 330i Sport
    Just solved my P1349 problem - replaced the coil on that cylinder and my error code went away. After about 100 miles of driving it hasn't returned.