Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Mr Deagles silly little m10 turbo.

My Cars
    2 e30's

Mr Deagles hacked up, cobbled together m10 turbo.

This post is a conglomeration of the thread on e30tech. Most of the important information has been taken and put here.

[/quote]

1 5/8 304 .065 wall

4 into one merge collector (true merge, made by the same guy that does Porsche motorsport headers)

2 inch bend into t3 gasketless 3d machined transition 304 flange.

Porsche 930 turbo wastegate.

back pressure port (-4)

3 inch downpipe, with 2 o2's (1 for dyno ETAS, and 1 for NGK AFX)

Engine has a Schrick 304 with Schrick valve springs, ti retainers, m3 crank, m3 rods

63mm throttle body.
    Last edited by Mr Deagle; 07-18-2009 at 01:30 AM.

My Cars
    2 e30's
    Continued:

Freaking real time updates BRAH!

People that know it all, cant do it all. (quoting Otis)

Meh, thermal coatings FTL.

BLuuuurrrr.

Well today it made 365 hp and 330 something torque.
    Im switching to a new turbo, with a larger exhaust housing (the one on there has some major FOD on the exhaust wheel)

Better glow picture.

This thing sounds like a fucking raped ape.

I dont have the equipment to take a proper video at this time. Tchao has the right stuff.

These are all cell phone pictures.

Its a scavenge pump for the turbo, driven off of the power steering pump with a little belt. It seems to be working fine, and i believe it sucks air most of the time (which it should)

Pics of scavenge.

Lets not throw around wheel numbers just yet. Remember, I only have an engine dyno. Absolutely no % loss numbers in here until i get it on a wheel dyno.

This thread is my offical m10 build/ tune thread. This backpressure stuff is perfect! I did see a TREMENDOUS gain in power when I switched to the .63. It holds 1psi less back pressure (im not 100% positive, because right now im looking at a mechanical gauge, not logged) EXEPT at the torque peak, which i think it drops off even more. (less back pressure)

I *may* try a .82 housing (largest I can get with my footprint) and see what that does. I have the Garrett speed sensor, and I will be installing it. With that I can see exactly what cfm and boost I am at. Therefore I can continue to tailor the turbo to what I want*.

*What I want may vary from what you may want

This motor is hardly "high horsepower"

Garrett....check
    Wiggins......Check
    Proper manifold......Check
    Proper ECU.....Check
    M10.....Check

Having a motor that has burned over 15 gallons of pump gas and all it has done is heat up water......

Priceless.

420hp/ 380tq at 18 psi on pump gas.

Quote Originally Posted by Dominic49 View Post
    list price on parts how much is into your build?
    ECU/Harness 3.5k?
    M10 longblock $650
    S14 crank $250
    S14 rods $250
    Mahle motorsport pistons $200
    bearings, seals $250
    Turbo manifold (500 in material, labor very expensive)
    Turbo...too good of a deal to list
    Intercooler, on the dyno it is a mitsu evo8. In the car may be a Garrett tube and fin.
    Misc custom machined parts 1-2k
    The pump thingamajigger. $300
    other misc costs, $800

~ $8000 over a span of 2-3 years.

Quote Originally Posted by inkk View Post
    Will we see that magic 500?

Maybe. Its scary seeing an m10 ripping through the high rpm's.

My intercooler may be limiting me.

This weekend I pulled the timing chain cover off of my old engine to blast a hole through it for the bigger crank seal, and to machine the water pump area to accept an M3 water pump.

Ok guys, UPDATE.

Im selling my engine harness (hopefully, if not o-well) to an e30 m3 guy.

I am making a new harness for the EURO4, which does sequential staged injection, sequential spark, traction control, drive by wire, launch control, anti lag, and a bunch of other stuff.

I received my Schrick rocker arms today. At 200 euros a pop, im sure there arent many of these floating around. They are beautiful. Expect a photoshoot with the rockers.

This was all concieved when I broke the intake and exhaust rocker on cyl 2 at the drag strip. The fastest I ran was 13.3 at 117mph (not at full boost!)

Then I will be re-tuning it for the new managment and upping the power a little bit. Maybe 225/liter just to bust ben and dan's crank claim.

That is a comparison between stock, schrick, Porsche stock, and Porsche RSR/962 rockers

I got the bill today and they were $200 usd each. I though i got quoted 200 euro each. Inkk quoted $3200 in aus dollars.

Then Jon tries to come in and start more shit. Take a chill pill bro.

My Cars
    several
    show'em how it's done Mitch!

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    I like how you were ragging on Jon using stainless steel lines with synthetic rubber on his car, and all you can see hanging off your bypass valve piping is a bunch of poorly cut radiator hoses.

Way to use the best there...

My Cars
    2 e30's
    Start of Project_20_Days

I have 20 days to get my car running/reliable with the m10 turbo for my trip to bimmerfest.

$3000 to spend.

Original m20 motor is being removed from the car this weekend.

Exhaust/ intake piping /muffler is being ordered tomorrow.

E36m3 rad/ e30m3 expansion tank/cooling accesories ordered

Wiring harness is in production right now, should be complete next wed.

This weekend m10 turbo will be test fit with gearbox to check for clearance, and finalize wiring harness measurements/ fab exhaust/ fab intercooler piping/fab intake/fab cooling hoses/ fab fuh raze shifter.

Aim dash is being ordered tomorrow as well.

I think its possible, I have ~120~ hours availible to work on it.

[quote=biodose;828498]
    Quote Originally Posted by NoScoE30 View Post
    Aim dash is being ordered tomorrow as well.
    QUOTE]

What is this? I am Fglassing my own dash. Dont want to pay the extreme amout for the bulky original looking one thats for sale on ebay.

20 days? Using the BADA** things i have seen you do already as a reference...I would say you can do all that in less than 10!!!
    An Aim dash is a data aquisition/ digital display.

I am using this:

http://aim-sportline.com/pages/car/section_car_evo4.htm

Coupled with a special version of this:

http://aim-sportline.com/pages/car/s...r_mychron3.htm

It replaces the factory gauges and logs data and displays it with warning indicators and shift lights.

Quote Originally Posted by lifeiskaos View Post
    oh hot damn. didnt know you were going to bimmerfest. nice!
    Ill see you there.

Oh, and im already 2 days into it.

So now i have 18 days.....

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine4dr View Post
    HAHA, you are in the same boat as I am...I have 18days to start and finish a turbo build...

But you have a hellava lot more experience than i do....

Hope to see you there!
    Thats a long drive for you. Double check everything!

There is no suspension/brakes/or wheels done. They will be completed after bimmerfest.

Plus i just want to go fast(for now), and im sick of this sbox m20.

Are there zr rated 205/60/14's? I think its a straight line to kalifornia.

Tchao, all we have to do this weekend is pull the m20, install and fit m10 and work on intercooler piping.

Clutch discs are on thier way. Im switching to a full organic ZF Sachs Race Engineering disc(x2) It should make the engagement a little less on off, so i can actually drive the thing in stop-and-go situations.

Should hold 500ft lbs.

My discount on the discs rivals that of a full sponsored race team.

Borla 40575 ordered.

http://www.borla.com/products/product_multi_detail.aspx?cat=5&type=76&desc=XR-1%26reg%3b+Racing+Exhaust|XR-1%26reg%3b+Multi-core+Racing+Mufflers

e36 m3 radiator received, along with e30m3 expansion tank and other cooling bits.

Aim dash being ordered now/along with the setup of our dealer account. Look for a group buy in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tchao View Post
    Mitch you need to get a 6ft CB whip. Optically stabilized binoculars and a fender laser/radar jammer. Fuck the polizei M5, we got ultimate rally dirty with 400+hp

Oh decals....we need decals.

Quote Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
    "More then you can afford pal...Ferrari"

LOL funny

Seriously though......over $1k?

Sub $1500.

That is an incredible deal when you know what you get.

3 axis accellerometer

GPS logging

Track mapping

All ecu channels

5 anolouge inputs

lots more....

Uhh ok, progress pics in a second.....

Live update 2

M10 is almost done....finishing the harness.

Thats the kind of encouragement I need!

My wallet is already feeling it.....

$500 gone, another $400 on monday + $1300 on the aim system......

This E30 came with an m20b25.

My first car was a henna early model 318i...this was when I knew nothing about e30's, but had the resources to turbocharge anything. This was 3 years ago....

So I bought an m10, and assembled it for boost, and its first start was on new years 09.

Then Bimmerfest comes along and i want to go, but the henna is nowhere near to being complete, no emmisions test, no time to get it through emmisions etc...

So i putting it in my daily driver. alpinewhite 89 325i

Imagine the couch is my budget. Purchased AIM dash today

Thanks for the kind words elbob. You better be coming to Bfest.

Mitsubishi Evolution 9 intercooler works well in a pinch. Im still honing my aluminum welding skills.
    Last edited by Mr Deagle; 07-17-2009 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2 e30's

Just a little done today, lots of time moving the intercooler inlet and outlet.

Quote Originally Posted by cplagz View Post
    Looking good mate, can't wait to see the end result.

With all your exposure to race cars .etc .... any nifty tricks for A/C ? I have taken mine out, but am thinking I wouldn't mind it back in..... smaller compressors/condenser cores?
    I would have to run some sort of electric AC compressor or remove/relocate power steering to get AC again.

Quote Originally Posted by maddcapper View Post
    Just ran across this thread (where have I been??). Looking good Mitch. I have no doubts you will be running in time! I can relate to that 'budget' issue you are facing I like the color choice on the block, I'm surprised I didn't catch that when I was there. What diff ratio are you going to run for your trip? If I were closer (or had some vacation time to spare) I would right there with you..even though I'm an old guy I'm good for some late nighters when it comes to stuff like this! Keep pluggin' away.....
    Im building a 3.73 lsd for the trip. The m10 is mated to a 265 gearbox out of an m3.

Thanks, I wouldnt mind you being here helping!

BTW, pm sent, i have a non e30 q...

New clutch dics compared to old discs, with flywheel and cover.

More IC routing.

AANND

Aim Dash. It is a MyChron3 with an EVO4 logger.

A 8.5x11 sheet of paper for size reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike325i View Post
    Still doing an amazing job Mitch.

Cant wait to see it.
    Thanks dude.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo 325ii View Post
    AIM... Sick! Is that the same one as in the porsche you took me for a ride in?
    No this is the dash underneath the flagship MXL dash. This one can do everything that the MXL Pista can do, for cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by Alpine4dr View Post
    SWEET!! That car looks pretty clean.

What now like 13 days....zomg
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by cplagz View Post
    woot! clutch looks tits - I want a twin plate option for the M20!

Why did you choose the MyChron over the MXL can I ask?
    This flywheel/clutch setup would work in an m20. It uses an m20 starter

Mychron over MXL....Well, this dash with the EVO4 can do everything that the mxl can do for less money. I dont have $2500 for an MXL Pista, GPS addon, and memory key. The EVO4 and MC3 combo costs $1400, and has a tri axis accelerometer, and GPS logging built in.

Quote Originally Posted by DMS View Post
    Well if that clutch works on an M10 will it work on an M30 too?
    Absolutely. If you want one PM me.

Quote Originally Posted by inkk View Post
    I absolutely fucking love that dash man. What wheel, knob, seats and ICE have you got for this adventure? Clutch looks pretty set. When it comes to tyres i think spend every last cent you have.
    Mtech2 wheel, aluminum/plastic/possibly OEM evo3 knob. Evo3 knob is currently installed. ICE cosists of 2 factory prem-o sound front speakers and a CD player head unit.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by straight6 View Post
    What is your definition of "cheap" for the dash setup?
    $1400 retail. That is compared to the $2500 you would spend on an MXL to get the same options. There will be a group buy for all aim products soon.

Quote Originally Posted by turbo 325ii View Post
    His definition is an arm and a leg. lol. jk, but mitch doesnt skimp on anything, so count on the best quality here. And you pay for quality. (sometimes )
    Gotta pay to play!

For one, it will log EVERYTHING from the ECU + the 5 extra analog sensors that I have.

Things like

MAP
    Intake Air Temp
    Turbo Outlet Temp
    Oil pressure
    Oil temp
    Water Pressure
    RPM

Literally everything, along with GPS position, speed long/lat/vert G-force all in a user friendly format for PC viewing afterwards....IE, no bullshiting how fast you went/personal race improvment etc.

Being digital, it takes up less space. Most of the time it ends up being cheaper in the long run.

All of the ECU's sensors are fed through 2 wires, over the CAN bus.

Im a dealer, so PM me for more q's. There is another person in AUS that wants a few(possibly) so that may be an avenue for cheaper shipping.

PS: They also have protocols for connecting to MEGASQUIRT ECU'S!!! (over RS-232)

Exhaust is 87% complete.

.049 wall 3 inch steel. (thats 18 gauge)

This thing is lightweight.

Exhaust complete minus the rear muffler hangars.

MY exhaust weighs 26lbs, the whole thing as it is sitting in the picture.

The factory exhaust weighs in at 64 pounds!!!!

No east new Sweden bullshit turndown here.

Nothing like making some teflon stainless braided -4 lines for wastegate control. This *should* eliminate the hoses popping off and ruining my day.

Hmm not to bad on the Brown and Miller racing solutons hose order..

Damage was $381. $170 of that was just my oil cooler lines!

I got the regulator on ebay for like $30 shipped.

This is a quick+durty30+(cheap) way to get two boost levels, with the high boost user controlled.

A simple solenoid valve, and the regulator and bam, 2 boost levels.

Im really burned out + im waiting on some silicone to do the inercooler plumbing and cooling system. I discovered that wiggins everywhere isnt a good idea, because they dont like vibration (note- i have a buzz happy 4cyl). Smallsnails wiggins on bf.c will probably wear out and become loose/pop off (if it ever runs like it should) I will have a wiggins only on the throttle body, as that is the hardest one to get a good connection to.

Got $400 in oil + fuel lines today....

Nomex braided convoluted teflon with mandrel bent 90*'s + crimped ends.

Quote Originally Posted by dp2275 View Post
    i only wish i could afford those fuel/oil lines ..

where do you get your shrink tube for the harness? do you have one brand that you prefer over another? how flexible is it? my father is an electrical engineer and can get me rolls of shrink tube from his work but its super stiff and id prefer something a bit more flexible for my next harness..

Raychem DR-25 for the majority and Raychem ATUM 3:1 and 4:1 for sealing the breakouts.

Then the Raychem tefzel wire, i forgot which series. I can look that up if you want.

My Cars
    2 e30's

Tilton Hydraulic release bearing, and fuel pressure sensor, and general engine shot.

There is a small issue with the pulsation. Im monitioring fuel pressure to detect pump failure/ not enough capacity.

Some more progress... Tuesday is the deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by el bob View Post
    Yeah what a pile of poo. There's nothing good in those pictures. Couldn't this guy at least use some quality parts. Jeeeeeez

If you're wondering who the dude is lying on his back trying to squeeze his fat ass underneath you're car to get a looksie at the pimp hydraulic clutch setup and tig'ed fuel line weld bungs at BimmerFest, that's me.

I've already got an impromptu ballad to the BallEr30 stuck in my head. It's sounds a lot like the alleluia song, but that's because I suck at songwriting.

Ha that lil M10 is FAST! 2 days left!!!! Oh noes!

I'm a little tea cup,
    I think I have a hiccup,
    Turbos are ballin and the bitches are callin,
    My blow off sounds so bold
    and the bitch says "ooh, got that at MODE?"

BFEST bitches! I have the itches

Project is 99% complete, (as all car projects are never finished)

Goal is 100% accomplished.

Shits fast! Even with 5 guys inside.

"oh.....uh...thats the cops....."

"Well Shit well alright guys, have fun!"

"Paaaccceeee!"

Vrrrrroooommmm Psssshhhhhh.....vrrrooom.....coast......"

mazur: Blhahahahhsdhhhdafkj;ashdf;ja splat.
    There ya go, all progress condensed into a neat, non 56k friendly thread.
    Last edited by Mr Deagle; 07-17-2009 at 09:51 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    Quote Originally Posted by Def View Post
    I like how you were ragging on Jon using stainless steel lines with synthetic rubber on his car, and all you can see hanging off your bypass valve piping is a bunch of poorly cut radiator hoses.

That's a thermostat... so I think radiator hoses are appropriate.

I don't see any pictures of a bypass valve.
    Last edited by Matt; 07-17-2009 at 09:53 PM.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    2 e30's

Nevermind, Matt got it.

My Cars
    TRM Stage 1.34
    I started a project like this in 2003 when I bought my first 2002.

I gave up in 2004 when I realized how much better modern motors are.

Nice work making the most out of the old tech.
    No PMs. Email through forum please.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Deagle View Post
    Nevermind, Matt got it.
    Looks just like a Bosch bypass valve.

No idea why you'd be routing that up to the head if you wanted to do it "right," but I guess Germans do like to route coolant all over the damn place for no reason.

What kind of quick disconnects are those? If those are even QDs... your pics are all out of focus.

My Cars
    1999 BMW M Coupe
    Those rockers look like sweet pieces
    .-=[ Kenny ]=-. See the BFc Drag Racing Standings List for BMW street cars. Watch my drag racing movies on YouTube. Some info on
    BMW turbo street car Drag Racing 101

My Cars
    325i, 3/4ton Truck
    thanks for telling me, i would have come up there and helped spin a wrench or 2 or do some welding for ya..........

looks good mitch
    Becoming a Professional OT Troll . CAN Bus Project: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QuRBQzGs-c VGT/VNT +LDA controller: http://dmn.kuulalaakeri.org/vnt-lda/

Quote Originally Posted by [B]SilverBeam[/B]
    Dude you're the biggest asshole ever. I will never reply to your texts or call you back EVER!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkchaser
    I'm Stupid
    Diesel > gas

My Cars
    2 e30's
    Looks just like a Bosch bypass valve.

No idea why you'd be routing that up to the head if you wanted to do it "right," but I guess Germans do like to route coolant all over the damn place for no reason.

What kind of quick disconnects are those? If those are even QDs... your pics are all out of focus.

You know nothing about the m10's cooling system.

Thx, most, if not all pix were taken on my cell phone. Im not much for taking time with a high dollar camera.

My Cars
    E30, E82, F30
    I'm lost...WTF is going on here?
    I'm a lil tea cup with teh hickup!?!? Lol
    Turbo E30s. The New Supercars.
    Quote Originally Posted by mazur
    Sriracha is too hot for me.

My Cars
    2 e30's
    I think brett posted that under your name at bfest.

My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    You know nothing about the m10's cooling system.
    Duh - but I get the general jist of it, and it seems like a pretty poorly integrated system. That thing really does look like it was designed shortly after WWII or so...

My Cars
    '97 540i/6, '97 328i

My Cars
    several
    Duh - but I get the general jist of it, and it seems like a pretty poorly integrated system. That thing really does look like it was designed shortly after WWII or so...
    why so negative? regardless of when it was designed, this is probably the gnarliest m10 ever built. it deserves appreciation, not criticism.

My Cars
    2 e30's
    In case you were wondering, the thermostat didnt work with the m3 radiator and I ran with no thermostat to bimmerfest. I now have an m3 thermostat that should work a little bit better.

That hose that goes to the top of the motor is the bypass pipe, for when the thermostat is closed. The thermostat regulates the inlet, when the motor gets hot it sucks in cold water.

It was designed in the late sixties.

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    Whats the point of the wiggins clamp with the 3 feet of silicone tubing right before?

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

My Cars
    E30 S50 Turbo
    I'm lost...WTF is going on here?
    I'm a lil tea cup with teh hickup!?!? Lol
    I think brett posted that under your name at bfest.
    Actually, that was me

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Nice job Mitch

My Cars
    2 e30's
    Quote Originally Posted by 3literheater View Post
    Whats the point of the wiggins clamp with the 3 feet of silicone tubing right before?

Try clamping on a porsche 930 throttle body then get back to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SiGmA View Post
    Nice job Mitch
    Thanks!

My Cars
    95 M3, 15 Golf TDI wagon
    It was just a simple question. Im not trying to say you are doing it wrong. Calm down.

So apparently there is clearance issues.

Thanks for answering.
    Last edited by 3literheater; 07-18-2009 at 12:29 AM.

-WTB: OEM Class 2 LTW GT wing with risers- Mazak

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast