Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BC Racing BR-Type Coilovers Preliminary Review

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo

BC Racing BR-Type Coilovers Preliminary Review

Per a recommendation from member "ienjoydrifting", a top 16 drifter in the D1 series, I purchased a made-to-order set of BC Racing's BR-Type coilovers.

These coilovers offer:
    -"Pillow Ball" front camber plates and rear shock mounts
    -32-way damping adjustment (rebound/compression are NOT individually adjusted)
    -A threaded shock body for preload independent ride height adjustment
    -The ability to order ANY spring and matched damper combo (lots of choices here)
    -Custom length sway-bar endlinks
    -They look pretty damn cool:

More information can be found here:

North American distributor- http://www.bcracing-na.com/

Now, I'm no expert in suspension design/quality. But I have owned a few different brands of coilovers and am basing this comparison solely on that and information I've come across on the internet, mainly this very forum.

To begin I'll give you a rundown of my specs. I decided to mimic Chelsea's (ienjoydrifting) setup as the usage of his car and mine seemed reasonably close, and new springs and matched dampers can be had for cheap with little downtime if I choose to go a different route in the future. My spring specs are as follows:

Front:
    160mm length
    10kg (~550lb/in) linear rate.

Rear:
    180mm length
    10kg progressive rate

Now here they are fresh out of the packaging:

A shot of the front brackets, which look and feel pretty beefy:

Front camber plates/damping adjuster:

Rear shock mount/damping adjuster:

Part number/markings on springs:

Endlinks:

Spanners and an allen key for the endlinks:

Now, I took a shot for comparison with my last set of coilovers (H&R Street) next to the BC's:

From this pic a few different things are noticed. Firstly, the overall length of the shock and struts, fresh out of the box, are a good bit shorter than even the lowest setting of the H&Rs. Looks like this car's going to be a good .5" lower right off the bat if I'm happy with the ride height out of the box.

Next, the diameter of the shock body seems thinner on the BC's next to the H&Rs. I don't have specs on actual piston diameter of the H&Rs, but the BC's use a large 44mm piston in a 53mm body, yet again, the H&R's LOOK even larger.

Lastly you can see how much farther down the shock body the sway bar tabs are located on the BC's. I believe this is because the H&Rs are designed to be used with a stock swaybar endlink. Whereas the threaded full length shock body on the BC's would not allow the use of stock length endlinks, hence the custom length links being included.

For those concerned with shock dynos, I was under the impression that each damper comes with it's own printout from a shock dyno. They did not, but I did stumble across these on NASIOC:

No clue how to interpret that. I should probably read a book or something.

They were $1k shipped to my door, apparently the price has recently went up to $1,250 shipped to the 48.

Sorry to be a tease, but that's all I have for now, I will be updating this thread during installation and after I have a good impression of dricing them both on the street and drift/autox events, and hopefully an HPDE by the end of the year.

So far I'm happy with my purchase, everything seems manufactured at a high quality level. We'll see how they play out over the rest of the season.
    Last edited by bennyfizzle; 07-09-2009 at 01:27 PM.

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    they looks alot like tein ss-p's to me. not to say thats a bad thing because ss-p's are like $1700.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    up for a buddy

My Cars
    are slow.
    Pretty sure this is the coil over im going to be using on my DD... Havent seen any negative review on BC racing anywhere, and they seem like a straight up company.

when i called, they said re-valving is free for any spring rate you choose, and that it is a complete kit with camber plates, RSM`s, endlinks, everything you need for an E36 m3. Seems like a quality kit, cant wait for some driving reviews from you Benny
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1998 328is, 07 YZ450f
    Can you please post up pics and a full review when you have installed them? I look forward to the write up!!!
    gingerE36dude

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Will do!

My Cars
    11 550 Sport Pkg, 08 X5
    Good write up... I will be interested to see how they hold up and your opinion of them as time goes on... Do you have the hight adjustment range you can run with this setup...
    98 E36 M3 Sedan (Sold)
    08 E60 550 M Sport Package (Sold)
    12 F10 535 M Sport Package (Sold)
    11 F10 550 M Sport Package (Current)
    08 E70 X3 3.0si (Current)
    97 E36 M3 (Track Car in progress)

My Cars
    911 turbo tincan
    Congrats.

You just bought cheap Chinese made crap.

These are what we call "disposable coilovers".

They're not the worst. But far from anything to brag about.
    07' Arctic Silver 911 Turbo

71' Agave Green 2002

10' Gray Landcruiser 200 series

10' White Landcruiser Prado 150 series

My Cars
    are slow.
    get these damn things installed already!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bmw_e30 View Post
    Congrats.

You just bought cheap Chinese made crap.

These are what we call "disposable coilovers".

They're not the worst. But far from anything to brag about.

Last edited by Hova; 07-28-2009 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    911 turbo tincan
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    get these damn things installed already!!!!!!!!!!

Are you following me around BFC lol??

71' Agave Green 2002

My Cars
    '16 CP M4
    BMW_E30 is not far from the truth, unfortunately, no matter how "pretty" they look, they're manufactured in China with the same low standards and cheap parts, this time, BC-Racing had their name stamped on these which costs them a bit more.

Remember, one manufacturer in China making all these coilovers with different branding, this has been done to death in the Aerodynamics (Bodykit) industry, now China has latched on, and are now making cheap performance/suspension components.

Bottom line, if you enjoy them, great! But don't get on Bimmerforums and brag about these, there is no difference between these and all the other no-namers. What I would like, is for you to actually "open" up the coilover, then start comparing the internals, I bet you'll re-install your Bilsteins.

.ast.vorschlag.gc.powerflex.tcdesign.rogue.uuc.enk ei.travischase.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Bragging?

Gee, and here I thought I was just giving my observations of a set of coilovers that are new to our market.

I love all of you DTM racers thinking your ground control/konis on full slam are any better than these "Chinese" coilovers for your purposes. Only those who have 30k+ invested into their RACE CARS, and years of experience behind the wheel of said RACE CARS, would be able to tell ANY performance difference between my Taiwanese coilovers and your Swedish made AST's.

That is not to say that the AST's/TRM's/GC coilovers don't have MUCH more development and engineering into them...but we're not exactly reinventing the wheel. A damper is a damper, a spring is a spring, a bearing is a bearing. FOR MY PURPOSES it doesn't make sense to go out and drop $1500+ on a set of coilovers that will no doubt see many dirt drops, harsh landings off of ledges, etc. The only thing that I need out of these coilovers is the ability to swap out to different spring rates, damping adjustability, some tough brackets, and front camber adjustment. They provide all of that without the $2k+ price tag, and the customer service so far (they came to me with a very minor defect) both from the vendor I purchased them from and BC Racing NA has been great.

You guys love running your mouths because you spend 1/3 the value of your car on your suspension for your street cars just to say you bought that suspension. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the baller factor, but you're lying to yourself if even 25% of those of you who've purchased the 'baller brands' taking advantage of the extra $1k in engineering per set of coilovers that goes into your setups.

They're cheap, they're Taiwanese, they provide everything I need for my little drift/track rat, and they're seemingly quite robust.

oh, and just FYI...both the front 'vert strut mount reinforcements and the rear z3 shock mount reinforcements fit perfectly with these camber plates/mounts....several other E36 camber plates require modification of the reinforcement plates to get them to work.
    Last edited by bennyfizzle; 07-29-2009 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    11 550 Sport Pkg, 08 X5
    If they work out, great... Not really seeing the point in people coming in and slamming this thread... If this is in fact a decent setup for the budget consious, it gives them other options... I have spent $1500. for a GC Street/Track kit and have broken 3 front shock housings and blew out 2 rear shocks... Dont knock the quality unless you have first hand experience...
    98 E36 M3 Sedan (Sold)
    08 E60 550 M Sport Package (Sold)
    12 F10 535 M Sport Package (Sold)
    11 F10 550 M Sport Package (Current)
    08 E70 X3 3.0si (Current)
    97 E36 M3 (Track Car in progress)

My Cars
    911 turbo tincan
    Quote Originally Posted by bennyfizzle View Post
    Bragging?

Gee, and here I thought I was just giving my observations of a set of coilovers that are new to our market.

I love all of you DTM racers thinking your ground control/konis on full slam are any better than these "Chinese" coilovers for your purposes. Only those who have 30k+ invested into their RACE CARS, and years of experience behind the wheel of said RACE CARS, would be able to tell ANY performance difference between my Taiwanese coilovers and your Swedish made AST's.

That is not to say that the AST's/TRM's/GC coilovers don't have MUCH more development and engineering into them...but we're not exactly reinventing the wheel. A damper is a damper, a spring is a spring, a bearing is a bearing. FOR MY PURPOSES it doesn't make sense to go out and drop $1500+ on a set of coilovers that will no doubt see many dirt drops, harsh landings off of ledges, etc. The only thing that I need out of these coilovers is the ability to swap out to different spring rates, damping adjustability, some tough brackets, and front camber adjustment. They provide all of that without the $2k+ price tag, and the customer service so far (they came to me with a very minor defect) both from the vendor I purchased them from and BC Racing NA has been great.

You guys love running your mouths because you spend 1/3 the value of your car on your suspension for your street cars just to say you bought that suspension. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the baller factor, but you're lying to yourself if even 25% of those of you who've purchased the 'baller brands' taking advantage of the extra $1k in engineering per set of coilovers that goes into your setups.

They're cheap, they're Taiwanese, they provide everything I need for my little drift/track rat, and they're seemingly quite robust.

oh, and just FYI...both the front 'vert strut mount reinforcements and the rear z3 shock mount reinforcements fit perfectly with these camber plates/mounts....several other E36 camber plates require modification of the reinforcement plates to get them to work.
    Are you off-roading your M3? That's what it sounds like to me lol.

Plus my TC Kline's have no baller status to me. What is baller is that TC KLINE himself installed them on my car and setup my suspension for track duty.

Baller would be Matt Bell (TMS E46 M3 driver in KONI Challenge) driving my car at Laguna Seca and commenting on the fact that my car short of a dedicated race car was one of the best setup cars he has ever driven.

I track my car 10-20 times a year. I would buy the best suspension that I could afford. I know a bunch of noobs that bought these various Chinese made CO's only to have them leak after a few weeks or make strange noises or even recalled back for safety issues lol. Be safe out there and YMMV of course.

71' Agave Green 2002

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    It will probably see some offroading, yes

Yeah I mean, if you're looking to get every last tenth out of a road course these are PROBABLY not for you.

No argument there.

My Cars
    95 M3 & Legacy Manwagon
    Just an fyi, those shock dynos prove that while they are marketed as rebound and compression being simultaneously adjusted, only compression actually is changed with each twist of the knob. There is some rebound adjustment, but not enough to really influence much.
    "Fear disturbs your concentration" -Sabine Schmit

1995 BMW M3/2/5-- S54 + Mk60 DSC, California Smog Legal (Build Thread)
    1998 BMW M3/4/5 Alpine/Modena, Z3 Rack, otherwise stock-- DD without burbles
    2017 Chevy SS, Orange Blast Metallic, 6MT -- DD with burbles

My Cars
    No more M3/4/5
    Any updates benny?

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo
    Got alot of stuff to do before I can bolt them on to the car, I will update though. They may be receiving a trial by fire next Friday, the last drift event of the season. The first for these and my car.

My Cars
    98 M3/4/5
    what do these cost???
    98 Estoril ///M3 4/6
    S54 swap CSL

My Cars
    No more M3/4/5
    http://www.importimageracing.com/p/BC-BR-master.html
    You can get them there for 999 shipped.
    But not sure if they will do custom rates for you.

http://www.importimageracing.com/p/388exts2.html
    They also make these rear damper adjuster extensions so you dont have to
    tear out your carpeting or cut large holes in them to adjust the damping.

My Cars
    '98 EK4, '96 CP9A
    I've had the BC coilovers for coming to 2 years.. they are dirt cheap in this part of Asia..

1. The swaybar endlink tab ripped off in 2 months.. I don't think it's a problem with the welding, but with the metal used to make the tab itself.. I converted the endlinks to use the control arm mounts and left it as that

2. Not enough droop travel on the rear shock.. they seem to have copied the general configuration for the FWD cars, extremely short stroke

3. Other than that.. they are OK for the price.. I find that certain road conditions cause the suspension to oscillate, overall not very satisfying

They are fantastic on my Civic, but I was disappointed with them on my E36
    - Peter Shen -

My Cars
    95' BMW M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Bimmerman535i View Post
    Just an fyi, those shock dynos prove that while they are marketed as rebound and compression being simultaneously adjusted, only compression actually is changed with each twist of the knob. There is some rebound adjustment, but not enough to really influence much.
    You got it backwards. The rebound is what is adjustable, and because of the shock design, the compression is altered slightly as well.

We've done independent shock dyno testing, as well as friends of mine, on the run of the mill Chinese shocks. They aren't horrible, but they are far from ideal.

For the money I'd rather go with H&R, but I personally run TCK's.

I'm kinda with Benny on one thing though, most people are just looking to slam their car and not run on 100 lb. spring rates. The cheap Chinese junk coilovers like the BC, Stance, Megan Racing, etc. etc. are all going to be fine. I've seen a number of quality control issues from the various companies, and initially they were offered as D2 Racing, at the steep price of $275 - 325 a kit, yes... a kit. That should give you an idea of the quality alot of these kits have.

These are popular in the drifting community because 99% of the drifting community are uninformed kids that just want the following:

- Slammed Ride Height (Read: No Shock Travel)
    - 19x19J -32 on Murdered Fenders w/ 205/35/19 Tires
    - 7 Degrees of Camber, and Enough Bumpsteer to Derail a Train.

If you fit that category (and alot of Bf.c does) then go for it. Chinese coilovers are for you.
    1995 BMW M3
    2007 Porsche GT3 RS
    2011 Subaru STI

Forum for Texas Gun Owners

My Cars
    99 M3 Euro, 09 Fit
    OP's new suspension > DDM
    99 Techno S50B32 6-speed ///M3 (Complete)
    Mods: SOLD

My Cars
    E36, E46, E53, GTV
    Quote Originally Posted by joon View Post
    I've had the BC coilovers for coming to 2 years.. they are dirt cheap in this part of Asia..

1. The swaybar endlink tab ripped off in 2 months.. I don't think it's a problem with the welding, but with the metal used to make the tab itself.. I converted the endlinks to use the control arm mounts and left it as that

2. Not enough droop travel on the rear shock.. they seem to have copied the general configuration for the FWD cars, extremely short stroke

3. Other than that.. they are OK for the price.. I find that certain road conditions cause the suspension to oscillate, overall not very satisfying

They are fantastic on my Civic, but I was disappointed with them on my E36
    Just a heads up, there is a newer version that is out now. Both of those problems have been addressed.

Benny, you have an update yet?

www.ienjoydrifting.com
    2001 BMW 3 Series Sedan - 700hp/700tq M52 Drift car.

My Cars
    M3/4/5
    Bump?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast