Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Maximum Permissible Speedometer Error

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by gtxragtop View Post
    So if the sensor is in the transmission, it is reading the rear wheels.

I highly doubt that BMW has purposely set the speedo reading high to account for tire/wheel changes that are not the stock size. That's not their problem if an owner makes changes that are "not approved".

If I look at my tire pressure sticker, it list many sizes. Both 16" and 17". Mine came stock with 235/45-17. It also allows 225/55-16 which is the size I use for my winter tires. Do the math and the 16's are a larger diameter tire. When these are installed, the speedo reading is much closer to actual than the 17's. I'm thinking that this is the factor that explains the difference.
    Ah, I didn't pay attention to him saying front, usually you want all tires to roughly have the same rolling circumference (or within1-2 %). In any case, I still think BMW possibly goes a bit overboard to protect themselves against litigation even with people who put non OEM sizes. Maybe that is one more question for the engineers.
    Last edited by mryakan; 08-15-2009 at 09:59 AM.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    530IA
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    I still think BMW possibly goes a bit overboard to protect themselves against litigation even with people who put non OEM sizes. Maybe that is one more question for the engineers.
    Think about this a bit. A manufacturer SPECIFIES the acceptable tire sizes that may be used on that vehicle. Now, your suggesting that they are trying to cover their liability against someone who does not follow the recommended sizing? No, it does not work that way. If it went to court, it would get thrown out instantly. They are covering variances in the sizes they spec including wear, inflation pressure and the fact that not all tires of the same size are the same diameter.

My Cars
    2011Lotus Evora S
    My Lotus is the same way. I have to set speedo at 81 to do 75. Europeans are pretty fu%^ed up on this one, Giant PIA as I fully believe in doing the 74.9 thing on the highway. 10+ gets you tickets, under 10 there are plenty of others. been told this by multiple cops over the years. Yes, there are always going to be a few Officer penis's out there (usually in little podunk towns)
    On the other hand, my Jag is dead on and so far, my X5 seems qiute accurate based on similar travel times to other vehicles including my Ascender (American) Haven't done the mile marker test yet on the X5.

$50000+ vehicles with intentionally inaccurate speedos is just plain stupid. In Germany, if they really want you to go that slow, set speed limit at 15 KM/hr instead of 20km/hr or maybe they did this to speedos cause all of the sign in the country signs are inaccurate. So much for German precision
    2004 Graduate Skip Barber 3 day Race School Competition Certified
    2016 Range Rover Sport HSE Montalcino Red, Ivory
    2012 Mazda MX-5 Miata GTPRHT True Red
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d Vermillion Red, Cinnamon Leather, Bamboo trim, Freight train
    2011 Lotus EvoraS Persian Blue, Black Suedetex Leather
    2008 Isuzu Ascender Lux Flint grey, Grey Leather

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12