Thread: *DIY Cooling fan M50

My Cars
    VAmaNOS

*DIY Cooling fan M50

Sup fellas, here's a super easy way to fo you cooling fan if you ever find your M50 in need...

The tools you will need:
    3/8 ratchet
    5mm hex socket
    any ole' flathead(or pliers, this is just for the clips holding the fan shroud)
    flashlight(optional)

Step 1:
    Remove clips holding fan shroud and rotate the shroud slightly towards the drivers side.(there are two, you can see one directly above the coolant hose)

Step 2:
    Place 5mm hex socket and ratchet onto first bolt holding fan to fan clutch, making sure it is going to be REMOVING the bolt.

Step 3:
    With socket secure and fully in place on the bolt grab the fan with one hand(to prevent it from spinning freely) and turn the ratchet to break the bolt free, it shouldn't take much effort. Once free you can(read: should be able to) easily remove the bolt by hand.

Step 4:
    Repeat steps 2 and 3 for the two remaining bolts.

Step 5:
    The fan is now free of its wretched clutch, remove fan and shroud.

Step 6:
    Align the new fan with the smooth side out and hand tighten the three bolts. After it is aligned and hand tight fully tighten the bolts.
    [IMG] ofcourseiforgottotakeapicofjustthenewfanwithnoshro ud.jpg[IMG]
    Step 7:
    Replace fan shroud and replace shroud clips. Start engine. You are done, go wash your face and hands they are disgusting.

Some tips(well one)
    Do this while the engine is cold

Also, I'm not sure if there is already a write up or if there is an easier way, but this took me about 25 minutes including taking pics and figuring out that it would be easier to remove the old one without taking the shroud off first. And results may vary due to hand/arm size/dexterity.

Old vs. new:

My symptoms were violent shaking whenever the fan was on, which was pretty much always, I'll report back when I find out how it goes...

...reporting back after three weeks, no problems/shakes after about 2500 miles, everything is as it should be. Hope this can help someone.
    Last edited by e34armour; 07-22-2009 at 05:35 PM.

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Something else that facilitates putting everything back together is using some 6x25mm screws threaded into the fan clutch from the engine side. Tighten them down and now you have studs on which to mount the fan. Add some 6mm nuts and your good to go.

My Cars
    E34 525ise
    Good for it! Thanks

My Cars
    1995 BMW 525i
    Thanks for the great DIY....will be doing this later this week