Thread: Possible to keep heater/fan with full cage in E36?

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '98 M3

Possible to keep heater/fan with full cage in E36?

Is is possible to keep the heater/fan unit under the dash with a full cage in an E36 M3? Or does this have to be removed to make room for the bar?

I recently bought an E36 M3 which will now be my track car. Although it has a bolt in roll bar at the moment, my plan is to put in a full cage and hopefully do a little racing in IP. At the moment I will only use if for HDPE and even if I do a few races in the next few years, I will still be mostly doing HPDE's. So it would be nice to keep the heater/fan in for comfort. A/C has already been removed.
    -Page

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Yes. That's how I had my cage done. May depend on sanctioning body you'll be building for. At the time I had my cage done I was still driving on the street some. So I didn't have a dash bar installed. I kept full functionality of HVAC. Figured I could always add the bar later if I wanted. AFAIK, a dash bar is not required in BMWCCA CR at this time.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    I have heater/fan functional with a dash bar. The vent positions are compromised, but it's locked in defrost which is the only mode you really need.

-tammer

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '98 M3
    I would really prefer to have the dash bar and foot protection. Does having a dash bar mean the heater has to go?
    -Page

My Cars
    E36 325i, E34 535iTm
    Quote Originally Posted by foscoe944 View Post
    I would really prefer to have the dash bar and foot protection. Does having a dash bar mean the heater has to go?
    Re-read my post. Here's a pic: http://picasaweb.google.com/tammerfa...06420049133474 This is with a functional, stock heater box.

-tammer

My Cars
    2017 530i M-sport
    Quote Originally Posted by foscoe944 View Post
    Not necessarily but the positioning of the dash bar would not be the best. Foot protection isn't an issue. No interference with that.

Jay

From wannabe to has been in a few short years..... the older I get, the faster I was

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by tammer View Post
    Re-read my post. Here's a pic: http://picasaweb.google.com/tammerfa...06420049133474 This is with a functional, stock heater box.

-tammer
    Thanks, the pic is very helpful.

What do most IP cars do, keep the defroster only setup or just get rid of the heater for the best bar position?
    -Page

My Cars
    E36 M3 GrpN 3.0
    YES, my ex E36 M3 with a factory Motorsport cage tied into the front strut towers had the heater in it...
    like2short
    E36 M3 3.0L Gruppe N
    E39 //M5 TiAg/Silverstone
    E53 X5 4.4

My Cars
    '99 M Coupe, '98 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by like2short View Post
    YES, my ex E36 M3 with a factory Motorsport cage tied into the front strut towers had the heater in it...
    I don't think tying to the front strut towers is legal in IP.
    -Page

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by tammer View Post
    I have heater/fan functional with a dash bar. The vent positions are compromised, but it's locked in defrost which is the only mode you really need.

-tammer
    this is exactly how my car is setup also.
    - Mani