Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast

Thread: E36 M3 Turbo Build Thread

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3

E36 M3 Turbo Build

I figure now is as good of a time as any to start my build thread. I'm building a turbo system for my '98 M3. The car currently has ~108,000 miles.

It is going to consist of the following components:

Cometic .140" MLS
    APR Head Studs
    Turbonetics GT-K 550 turbo
    666 Fabrication T3 tubular manifold w/ modified wastegate outlet
    TRM motor mount
    Precision 750hp intercooler w/ custom end tanks
    Synapse 50mm wastegate w/ 40mm valve seat
    Synapse BOV
    S50B32 Individual Throttle Bodies w/ modified plenum (in separate thread)
    OBDI conversion w/ 413 ecu and TRM tune
    60 lb/hr Siemens Deka injectors
    TRM Walbro 255 pump kit
    Southbend Clutches Stage V
    Apex-i Boost Controller
    Single 3" 304 stainless exhaust
    Turbowerx oil scavenge pump from Maximum PSI
    My goals are for this car to appear and drive 100% stock. I want to build a total sleeper. I don't want to get in the car and see a totally riced out interior. I want this to look like BMW built the car this way. My initial power goals are ~500 whp w/ about 17psi boost.

I already have the head gasket swapped and the ARP installed. When the head was off I had it resurfaced to a <50 RA and checked for crackes. Right now I'm working on the exhaust plumbing. I have the 666 manifold's new wastegate tacked together and I am just waiting for the rest of my pipe/tubing to get in to finalize it. I have the ports on the 666 manifold welded up and blended (they weren't bad, I'm just trying to squeeze some extra ponies out of this). I'll post pics of this when I get it off the car. I don't feel like pulling it off just for pics.

Here are the pics I have for now.

Last edited by M3 Muscle; 06-07-2009 at 06:06 PM.

My Cars
    a m3 on a 7675
    nice work, looks like a promising build, dont u gotta place the head and gasket on the block then screw the studs in the block? otherwise you might run into fittment issues.

never mind read the rest
    Last edited by das Boot; 06-06-2009 at 08:23 PM.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Looking good.....

One question: what made you choose the APEXi boost controller?? I ask bc I am looking and one right now, and just wanting some feedback.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Looking good.....

One question: what made you choose the APEXi boost controller?? I ask bc I am looking and one right now, and just wanting some feedback.
    Gear referenced boost control. I figured that this would be good for first and maybe second gear traction control...although I hear TRM is working on some kind of traction control.

My Cars
    93 325iS
    I've been looking forward to this build Good luck, it should be awesome!

The AVCR is a good ebc, and can be had really cheap used. If buying new, I'd look at an eboost2, but you'll like the AVCR too. Rukman gave me a lot of tuning input for it, if you end up needing help.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3
    looks great, make sure you keep us updated

98' BMW ///M3

milKt is offline ßMW///MµrÐêr§þðr†
    My Cars
    95M3t 95M3 92525iT 95525
    What do you mean by a "modified wastegate outlet" ?

My Cars
    turbo m3
    How exactly did you clean the top of your pistons.... I wish I could of got my that clean!
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Acetone and Scotchbrite (sp?) lightly. Works out really well! I got mine spotless last time around, no scratches at all.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Well.... if for some reason I ever have to pull my head again(I pray not) then I will try it!

That was my fear to not scratch the surface.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    93 325iS
    Na you'll be okay. With stock pistons, you can see, I guess, machining marks on them. You will not disturb them at all with scotchbright. You just have to go as lightly as possible, it might take a while, but it works. I've done it before with JUST brakekleen and a rag... And that SUCKS. It took 2 hours, but the deck & piston tops looked PERFECT.

My Cars
    none
    Great job man...It looks good...
    Music is my LIFE!!!

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by milKT View Post
    What do you mean by a "modified wastegate outlet" ?
    I have read a few posts about boost creap with a T3 666 Fab manifold and a GT35R turbo (very similar to mine) when running low to mid level boost. To solve this I asked Jon to make it with out the wastegate outlet so I could put it where I wanted it. I'm hoping that my placement will allow more flow to exit the manifold.

How exactly did you clean the top of your pistons.... I wish I could of got my that clean!
    I used carb cleaner and a small soft bristled brass brush. Then for the hard to get stuff I turned the brush upside down and used the plastic handle. Another thing that helped is that I kept the carbon deposits soaked with the carb cleaner for about 5 minutes. That really softened it up.
    Last edited by M3 Muscle; 06-07-2009 at 06:07 PM.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by M3 Muscle View Post

I used carb cleaner and a small soft bristled brass brush. Then for the hard to get stuff I turned the brush upside down and used the plastic handle. Another thing that helped is that I kept the carbon deposits soaked with the carb cleaner for about 5 minutes. That really softened it up.
    Is there any advantage to cleaning all the carbon deposits?? I mean when I pulled my head... it was as dirty as your picture. And, I just used brake cleaner and a rag to get a lot of it off...
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Is there any advantage to cleaning all the carbon deposits?? I mean when I pulled my head... it was as dirty as your picture. And, I just used brake cleaner and a rag to get a lot of it off...
    The compression will be slightly lower with the pistons cleaned off. I did it because the car has 108k on it, so I figured that it might go another 108K if I cleaned them before they look this bad again (haha...slim chance).

My Cars
    Turbo 99' M3
    Looks great so far...good luck with the rest.

My Cars
    triple rare US E36 M3
    awesome stuff man.
    BMWCCA Member 376052
    RIP Pandashizzle

My Cars
    01 740i, 96 M3, Explorer
    man these threads make it harder and harder to wait till winter to start my build sigh... nice components though, those synapse parts look good.

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    I got some great work in tonight! I finished up the mods on the 666 Fabrication manifold. I'm very happy with the way it turned out. A couple weeks ago I blended the interface between the flange w/ oval ports and the 1.5" sch 10 tube. Jon did a good job (I'm not knocking his craftsmanship as it is first class), but I am trying to pay attention to every last detail to see if it makes a difference in the final #'s. I didn't worry about every last blemish as I could weld and smooth for years if I did that.

I also finished up the wastegate modification. I want to be clear that the 666 Fabrication manifold is not known to have boost creep issues, but I do know of two instances with smaller turbos that had boost creep. I decided to try something different because of these two instances. At the same time I was working on the wastegate downtube, I went ahead and simultaneously built my down pipe. The entire exhaust will be 3" 304 stainless. To keep it ascetically pleasing, I decided to tig weld the entire exhaust.

Here are the ports before:

Here they are after being blended:

Here is the rest:

Last edited by M3 Muscle; 06-08-2009 at 11:11 PM.

My Cars
    2 e30's and an e34
    Wow looks awesome dude! Your a pretty good welder too!

And how did you go about prepping the block for the MLS?
    Last edited by So Live; 06-08-2009 at 11:40 PM.
    -Chris

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by So Live View Post
    Wow looks awesome dude! Your a pretty good welder too!

And how did you go about prepping the block for the MLS?
    3M Roloc Bristle Discs. I started with the 80 grit lightly and finished with the 120 grit. I didn't use the normal Scotch-Brite discs because the Scotch-Brite particles can get into the crankcase and scratch bearings. GM released a service bulletin on this that I found on the internet somewhere.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    I just used sand paper by hand (120 IIRC), BUT Im glad you showed me these discs, so if I ever need to do it again.

Where can one buy these discs??
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    I just used sand paper by hand (120 IIRC), BUT Im glad you showed me these discs, so if I ever need to do it again.

Where can one buy these discs??
    I got mine from Grainger, but the Snap On guy has them as well as most body shop supply places.
    Last edited by M3 Muscle; 06-09-2009 at 07:50 AM.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Thanks!

And, I must say that your new welds look very nice!!
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    '98 Turbo M3, '17 M3
    I started the S50B32 individual throttle body conversion a about 3-4 weeks ago. I had a build thread for that, but will add the pictures to this thrad.

Here is the link http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1242226

Here is a summary:

I finished fitting my S50B32 throttle bodies on my S52 M3 turbo project. I got the easy-to-get-to welding done so they were strong enough to test fit back on the S52 to double check everything. These things are TIGHT! The injectors clear with less than 1/16", the hood clears the new throttle cable lever with less than a 1/4", and my stock oil filter housing almost clears...but it doesn't. The euro plenum almost fits, but hits the brake booster. No big deal as I was already planning on cutting it open and making a smaller plenum volume since this will be a turbo car. The other thing is that at ~80% throttle the linkage hits the crankcase breather fitting on the valve cover. That will be an easy fix. I just have to grind off the back of the linkage ball joints (they are riveted) and turn it around so it is on the inside.

There is one big problem, but I haven't looked into a fix yet. The TPS sensor won't fit due to interference with the VANOS solenoid. I'm still thinking about this one....don't worry I figure something out.

I just wanted to share. I haven't seen this done before, so I figured no one else has....and it's SEXY looking!!!!!

Does anyone think they could make a ~.375-.5" spacer for the oil filter housing (I know some of you guys have some nice equipment sitting in the shop....cough, cough, Multiplex, cough)? I think that is all I need so it will clear the throttle bodies.

Enough typing...now the damn pics!!!

I got the linkage re-worked so it doesn't hit the breather, but I ran into a handful of snags all related to the TPS. I tried to mount it is the original location, but the VANOS solenoid was ALWAYS in the way. I shortened up everything as far in as it could go and it still wouldn't fit. I noticed that on the Euro ITB's the TPS rotates in a clockwise position. I also noticed on the US motors the TPS rotates in a counter-clockwise position. My plan was to weld the fitting and end of the throttle shaft from the US throttle body to the Euro throttle body, but that didn't work so well. I tested welding on the US TB shaft and no problems. I assume it was stainless steel because it welded fine. Then I started welding the two together....PROBLEM. The Euro ITB shaft is some kind of alloy that contains a brass or bronze. I'm not sure what to do. I think it can be brazed, but I have no experience with that process. I think I'm going to post another thread about the problem and see if any master fabricators/welders chime in.

I was able to fit the oil filter housing back on with out any problem. I no longer need it, but I might hit you up for something else.

I removed the end two (cyl 5 & 6) throttle shaft. It appears it is chrome plated brass...I think. I'm going to take it to a couple local machine shops and see if they can duplicate it and add the necessary TPS profile on the end. If not then I'm going to have them cut a recessed profile it the end and cut the corresponding profile in the part of the S52 throttle shaft I'm using. Then it should fit perfectly and I can have it brazed.

I modified the stock S52 fuel rail to fit the Euro ITB's. That looked easier than to modify the Euro fuel rail to work with the stock fuel lines. Turned out good. I just need to sand blast it and paint/power coat it.

I got my throttle shaft back from the machine shop. I had them cut matching profiles in the throttle shaft and the TPS sensor profile. I picked up some silver soldier and flux and will give that a try this weekend.

I got my throttle shaft back from the machine shop where they cleaned up my rookie silver soldering job. I got the TPS sensor bung welded on and the TPS sensor in place. The readings are spot on. Bentley says that the TPS reading should be ~1K Ω and full throttle should be ~4K Ω. It reads 1020 Ω at idle and 4040 Ω at full throttle. Can't get too much closer than that!

I also got my Magnaflow 3" muffler. I should be able to get that installed tomorrow. I'm still waiting on a couple more 3" elbows to make the rest of the exhaust, so I won't get that completely done.

Last edited by M3 Muscle; 06-28-2009 at 06:32 PM.

Page 1 of 36 123456789101126 ... LastLast