Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Fixed steering hose leak problem...

My Cars
    a bmw

Fixed steering hose leak problem...

Those clamps on the power steering hoses are crap. No wonder they leak. Managed to replace the clamps (.89c each) and a hose ($6.56 vs $180 dealer part!) in about an hour and half.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    1995 daytona violet M3
    I just got my power steering hoses replaced and the bill reached $500.00!!! thats not the worst part of it, I drove my car this morning and I was damn near out of power steering fluid!! WTF I pay $500.00 for my shit to continue leaking I say this place is out... I'm taking it back tomarrow
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 07-12-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: profanity
    CARS: Alpine Weiss II 92' 325is coupe 5spd w/ ACS CS widebody kit (SOLD)

95' daytona violet M3 and 95' Boston Green M3... both 5spd cars.

My Cars
    a bmw
    Yup. I got an estimate of about $450 and I said no way I can fix it myself. I went to a supply shop where I bought the hose (same size but way overkill if you note the 300psi rating) and the clamps all for under 10 bucks! The dealers price for the hose parts is exhorbitant.

If you notice the stock part has the hose and metal coils permanently attached, I cut away the permanent clamp connecting these two pieces and used my own hose and clamp. The metal coils are least likely to fail and it doesn't make sense replacing this piece. I have no idea why BMW made this part one unit rather than allowing you to replace the hose alone (like what I've done).

It's a relief our cars are so easy to work on.

What may have happened to you is they filled the PS reservoir but didn't crank the steering wheel full left to right to get the new fluid in the system. To do it right add fluid, crank the wheel full right to left, then add more fluid, crank again and recheck the level.
    Last edited by MauiM3Mania; 07-12-2011 at 10:07 PM. Reason: profanity

My Cars
    95 m3
    This is a very common problem with e36's I've seen. Never thought off just replacing the hose though. I was thinking about replacing the metal lines and hose together but the part is still really expensive. Maybe I should give this a shot....what kind of hose did you use? (inner diameter?)

ps at the dealer all the mechanics use those screw clamps to replace the "permanent" ones, theyre just so much easier to work with and reuse

thanks
    David

My Cars
    a bmw
    I really can't remember. The input and output hoses are different diameters. I cut a piece of the hose connected permanently to the coil to a hose supply store and they matched the hose dimensions (though a *much* stronger hose). I used sheet metal cutters to cut the clamp holding the hose to the metal coil and then replaced the hose along with the hose clamps.

It's a lot stronger than the original. As I'd mentioned, it makes no sense to replace the coil if its not broken. And I'm over $400 richer!

My Cars
    BMW
    I'm pretty sure the reason those two parts are permenately joined is because of the high pressures they can experience. The reason it's metal and rubber is the metal parts and there shape (like some sort of musical instrument) actually function as an oil cooler.
    I replaced one of these hoses my self not to long ago, and i believe the cost of the hose was not much over 100.00.

My Cars
    1997 M3
    Not bad to save a couple bills

My Cars
    1994 SVT Cobra
    what are the metal coils you are referring to??? Do you mean the hose "ends" that are attached to the actual steering rack??

Funny this topic shoudl come up, because I was doing my oil change last night and I also noticed my PS hose was "seepy" and a little wet looking... I was thinking of just replacing the clamps, but if I can replace the hose as you did, that would be excellent.

Do you have the size of the hose that you did use for this procedure? About what length did you need to complete the job correctly?

Thanks for the help and the picture!
    1991 BMW 318ic & 1995 ///M3 coupe - SOLD

My Cars
    a bmw
    I'll look around for the excess hose if I have any and give you the dimensions. I really don't know exactly since I took the old busted hose to the hose shop and had them give me an equivalent. As far as length, just get it too long and cut it. I didn't measure it.

You can probably get away with replacing the hose clamps beneath the reservoir, but my problem was that the hose broke where it attached to the cooling coil so I had to address that hose to get it fixed.

It's actually a fun little project since you know you're saving yourself a couple hundred an hour to do it.

My Cars
    2006 Passat 2.0T
    M3Nut can you give us a detailed description on how to cut the connection between the coil and the hose? and did you ever find the inner diameter of the hose?

Den

My Cars
    '93 Eagle Summit Wagon
    bump for more description and reason it took 1:30

Thank you very much.

My Cars
    a bmw
    Sinned: I used a pair of aviation snips, basically heavy duty scissors, to cut the hose and the metal clamp holding the hose to the cooling coils. Unfortunately, I didn't keep the excess hose or the original hose. I ended up having to take a piece of the original hose to a hose supple company and have them match it.

ImageDynamicsM3: It took 1 1/2 hours with most of that time twisting and tearing off all the POS BMW pinch clamps. This effort not onlly saved me over $400, but you'll see the hose I used is extreme overkill. The hoses were "sweating" oil before one finally burst, now they're dry as a bone.

My Cars
    BMW M3

Good idea...

this is very good solution compared to expensive dealer work.
    Can you give more information on what kind-brand name of hose you purchased at the store, is it available at auto stores?
    You are confident that it is stronger than original one but did you ask how it will perform under high temp ?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

My Cars
    BMW M3

Good idea...

this is very good solution compared to expensive dealer work.
    Can you give more information on what kind-brand name of hose you purchased at the store, is it available at auto stores?
    You are confident that it is stronger than original one but did you ask how it will perform under high temp ?

Thanks in advance,
    Mark

My Cars
    a bmw
    M3C: It's not likely available at the autostore, or even if they did have it would I trust them to know exactly what was necessary. I looked up a few hose (hydraulic) supply companies from the yellow pages. When I went to the hydraulics company I gave them my hose and we went through a half dozen different adequate hoses of the correct size. Of course I opted for the most robust/heavy duty solution. They told me the hose was overkill. They were very familiar with the requirements of a powersteering supply hose. It helped I had a sample (the original) with me.

My Cars
    BMW M3

OK M3Nut..

now i understand...hydraulics company.
    Thank you for valuable and simple solution info.

Mark

My Cars
    95 M3, 08 F250, 68 Z-28
    M3Nut,
    Do you happen to have the brand and part number of the hose you used? If not, the ID/OD? I'd like to do this mod, but don't want to have to leave my car appart when I go find a hose.

Thanks,
    Chris

My Cars
    a bmw
    Gvl: Sorry I wish I could help you. My hose burst so I had the option, and little choice, to take that broken hose to the supply company. I'll dig around the garage later today and post the specs if I can find the scrap pieces, but definitely I will read the markings next time the car is lifted.

My Cars
    E36 M3's
    OEM hoses aren't TOO bad at bimmerparts.com -
    Dakar 95 M3 (4/95 manufacture)
    Techno Violet 97 M3 (12/96 manufacture)
    Alpine White 16 535i M-Sport (10/15 manufacture)

Def is offline Lead Disagreement Eng PE
    My Cars
    SW22, Volt
    If I'm reading the hose right, it says 1/2 INCH right before the 300psi. Is anybody else seeing that?

Seems about the right size.

My PS hoses just started leaking at ~80k miles, so this sounds like an excellent solution to an inherently flawed design.

My Cars
    2006 Passat 2.0T
    Who is interested in a Power Steering Fix Kit...Im thinking about putting together the correct hoses with a lil more slack than the factory hose, so that it doesnt loosen, with necessary clamps(they are reinforced and have extra inner steel that wont puncture your hoses) and the correct pressure limits for the job, I have access to all the hoses and clamps and can get a kit together even with the correct fluid needed to fill the power steering reservoir after the fix...Im going to try to find a metal cutter so that the clamp can be cut off...

so the kit will include,
    1. Correct Hose
    2. 2 Reinforced Clamps
    3. Power Steering Fluid
    4. Metal Cutter (possibly)
    5. Detailed Instructions (via email or hard copy)

Shipped Around $30-35 bucks...(way cheaper than $75 dollar part from BMW for the clamped coils with hose)
    Let me know if you guys are interested,
    email: sined240@hotmail.com

Dennis
    Last edited by Sinned; 12-22-2003 at 08:53 PM.

My Cars
    a bmw
    okay okay... brb I'll lift the car and see what I can find...

My Cars
    M3
    I hate to burst your bubble but it will still leak but not from the hoses.

There is a vent in the reservoir cap at the end of one of the finger grips...take the cap of and look at it. That's why the reservoir stays wet.

Also I would at least flare the metal cooling line before clamping the hose. I believe the reservoir has a flare molded into the plastic nipples to prevent the hoses from poping off under pressure.
    Kenny...

"...and despite your rather demented sense of humor, poor board manners, and general attitude, you drive well."

My Cars
    GTS2 325;Zanardi NSX
    Originally posted by Kenzo
    I hate to burst your bubble but it will still leak but not from the hoses.
    and the OEM part can be had for $55 (at Pacific BMW) or $65 at

http://catalog.eautopartscatalog.com...mmerparts.com/

and it includes the cooling duct and HAS THE PRESSURE DROP ORFICE IN THE RUBBER HOSE which is a designed restriction in the system to reduce pressure before it gets back to the resevior! Just replacing the hose will result in the designed pressure drop being lost.

Bob
    Last edited by 1BADM3; 12-22-2003 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Originally posted by Sinned
    Shipped Around $30-35 bucks...(way cheaper than $200 dollar part from BMW for the clamped coils with hose)
    Let me know if you guys are interested,
    email: sined240@hotmail.com

Dennis
    Mine is leaking as well. I'd be interested in a kit.

Page 1 of 20 1234567891011 ... LastLast