Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Black "Wood" Trim in 528i - Fake? Or Real?

My Cars
    E31 EIGHT, E39 FIVE

The Black "Wood" Trim in 528i - Fake? Or Real?

A friend at BMW with an generous appreciation for genuine materials believes the "black" wood trim in the 528i sports is simply designed plastic. The only observation I will make is it has no knots in it.

I am referring to this trim. Real or fake???

Is this more or less desirable than the brownish wood trim? Anybody know what models or color combination it was specific to, if it was extra cost/less cost?

My Cars
    '82 320is, '91 318ic, '02 530i Sport, '06 X3
    I think it's stained bamboo. Thats what it is in the newer 5's.

My Cars
    1995 M3 & 2000 540i
    That's not really wood. That trim is called "technical graphite" and I've only really seen them in 528i's.

2011 328i X-Drive~Mercedes ML55 AMG~2000 E320~1998 Chevrolet Corvette~2001 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    m52 powered
    Quote Originally Posted by x2nervisx View Post
    That's not really wood. That trim is called "technical graphite" and I've only really seen them in early 528i's with the sport package.
    fixed.

This is my favorite e39 trim. I believe it is a man-made deal though, although I could be wrong.

My Cars
    98 528i 04 X5 4.8 99 540
    I just upgraded to this trim from the Vavona wood trim in my 528. I purchased the whole set from ebay, supposedly the seller said it was OEM, but it looked like plastic. The build quality just didnt compare with that of my old wood trim. I love the new look though.

My Cars
    e39 Avus Blue 540i/6
    i picked up a set from a used parts shop down here in the So cal....mine all had bmw part numbers on each molded into the plastic on the back....the trim, from what i understand came on base model 528i. i dont believe it was trying to be wood. the fit and finish on the kit i got were just as good with my wood trim i had.

i dont think it was trying to be wood. it is just fancy plastic to me. but i like more the wood trim i had. Also i believe the trim came in grey or tan interiors.
    Last edited by jhinck1414; 06-04-2009 at 03:57 PM.

My Cars
    540it,E36 & E30 Touring
    I like that interior better than wood.

My Cars
    m52 powered
    Quote Originally Posted by jhinck1414 View Post
    i picked up a set from a used parts shop down here in the So cal....mine all had bmw part numbers on each molded into the plastic on the back....the trim, from what i understand came on base model 528i. i dont believe it was trying to be wood. the fit and finish on the kit i got were just as good with my wood trim i had.

i dont think it was trying to be wood. it is just fancy plastic to me. but i like more the wood trim i had. Also i believe the trim came in grey or tan interiors.
    you understand wrong! The base model 528i got the same vavona wood as the 540i. The 528i sport package cars from 98-early 99 got the tech. graphite trim. Sleeker, cooler trim = sport package. get it?

My Cars
    e39 Avus Blue 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by e39dream View Post
    you understand wrong! The base model 528i got the same vavona wood as the 540i. The 528i sport package cars from 98-early 99 got the tech. graphite trim. Sleeker, cooler trim = sport package. get it?
    oh darn....learn something new everyday.....

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    I have this trim and can elaborate some. It is not wood, it is known as "technical graphite" and was an upgrade option on sport models. Its very rare. I can't speak as to what it is actually made of - it could be a laminate on plastic, but it definitely does have metallic hints and blues that show up in the sunlight.

Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    E31 EIGHT, E39 FIVE
    I think someone is referring to the VERY base model black trim, not the Sport Package black trim:

Note that car even has a vinyl interior...

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    I would love to find this for the wagon. Or that other one that has the gold hint to it. Do you know what I mean?

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    e39 Avus Blue 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Landerholm View Post
    I think someone is referring to the VERY base model black trim, not the Sport Package black trim:

Well i was miss told by the used parts guy.....either way i think it looks good on my black interior.

My Cars
    E31 EIGHT, E39 FIVE
    I am surprised so many favor the "technical graphite" over real wood. My interior is black on black and I need to decide between the two. I kind of like the wood

My Cars
    --
    I am surprised so many favor the "technical graphite" over real wood. My interior is black on black and I need to decide between the two. I kind of like the wood
    Want to trade?

My trim has a couple small cracks though.

My Cars
    97 528i 87 528e 65/74MG
    I want to make my wood black, keep the wood look but in a black laquered kind of look.
    >'97 528i, 200000 miles, Hella Xenons, 17" Stilauto wheels, Vogtland Drop Springs, Dynomax Race Muffler, Homelink, 540 brake upgrade, 15mm spacers >'65 & '74 MG Midgets BFC OT Lego Club #48 Manual conversion in process!!!

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by NNY528I View Post
    I want to make my wood black, keep the wood look but in a black laquered kind of look.
    BMW Individual offered Anthracite Birch

Seen here in an autotragic

Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    E39 m52tuB30
    can anyone please told me how can I find this kind of covering inner in the REALOEM?, I trying to look in the realoem but nothing for the name of "TECHNICAL GRAPHITE"....

Thanks,

E39, 523i, 1999, M52TUB30, 5 SPEED MANUAL, UUC SHORT SHIFTER, EURO SPECS, KONI YELLOWS, OEM SPORTS SPRINGS, OEM SPORTS SEATS, ALCANTARA HEADLINER AND /A/B/C PILLARS, OEM M-TECHNIC AERODYNAMIC, OEM M5 FRONT GRILLS, OEM M5 REAR FOLDING MIRRORS, OEM M5 REAR SWAYBAR, OEM M-TECHNIC II FRONT SWAYBAR, REMUS DUAL TIP MUFFLER, TITANSILVER, BIXENON, M PARALLEL SPOKE 66 STAGGERED, OEM M-AUDIO SYSTEM, NAV SCREEN 16:9, INTRAVEE II iPOD INTERFACE, OEM TCM WITH BLUETOOTH, Y RESONATOR DELETE, INTAKE HORN DELETE, CDV DELETE, CHARCOAL TITANIUM BRUSHED TRIM, FAN CLUTCH DELETE, ELECTRIC FAN, 3.15LSD DIFFERENTIAL, ESS TS2+ SUPERCHARGER, AQUAMIST METHANOL + WATER INJECTION

PANAMA, CIUDAD DE PANAMA

My Cars
    98' BMW 528i
    personally, that black trim loookksss uuuuuggggllllyyy i think the wood trim gives a class...and better yet....CARBON FIBER TRIM :d

My Cars
    '98 528i 98k 5-SPP
    sorry, gameover but the black trim on mine will never be replaced. BMW got it right.

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    It is all plastic, I have it on my base 528i. Wood though is classic but I often wonder if that too is plastic? Has any one ever seen it broken through?

My Cars
    E31 EIGHT, E39 FIVE
    ^^ Ok now we need to know if the wood is even real. Materials-savvy friend says "yes."

On the other hand they are putting leatherette seats in $70,000 Mercedes RLs now.

My Cars
    99' 5Sp 528IT/10' Maxima
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel like View Post
    I have this trim and can elaborate some. It is not wood, it is known as "technical graphite" and was an upgrade option on sport models. Its very rare. I can't speak as to what it is actually made of - it could be a laminate on plastic, but it definitely does have metallic hints and blues that show up in the sunlight.

I want this trim in my wagon. I think it will update the interior nicely.

1999 E39 Touring Sport and 3 pedals

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    I personally had to have it. I hate burlwood in sport sedans... :gag:

Haven't been able to find the p/n in REAL OEM, although I think it was an "Individual" option.
    Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    m52 powered

I believe this is what BMW refers to as the "cubic" trim. I ordered my new manual shift knob in this finish because I could not find one in tech. graphite. It blends in well enough.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast