Thread: How do you reset service interval in Cluster?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL

How do you reset service interval in Cluster?

Is there a way to reset your next service interval through the cluster of a 2002 E46. My wifes car shows that it was due for servive -1200 miles ago. I just did basic maintenance like oil and air filter change, new brakes, and replace her plugs. Her car has 95K miles on it. I would like to reset the service interval in the cluster. Otherwise the car is in good shape, I just had to inspected by my indy. If there are steps to do this and someone could share, that would be great. Thanks

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330I
    yea i use this when i did it

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.!
    hope this helps
    2001 330i
    Sport Package,
    Premium Package,
    Cold Weather Package,
    Clear Corners / Side Markers
    15% Tint
    Carbon Fiber interior overlay

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    Awesome, I will try this. Thanks for the reply.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 740IL
    I wasn't able to get it to work. I followed your instruction to the tie. Did I miss something.

My Cars
    E36/7M, E39Wagon, '12 X3
    Quote Originally Posted by 01330iBMW View Post
    yea i use this when i did it

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds.

You know you should fucking quote whoever you stole that from... those are not your words, and you did not supply this information, now reference whoever you stole that from and give them credit.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slvrXI
    Here you are sir...

1. With the key out of the ignition... press and hold the left odometer button.

2. Turn the key to position 1... Meaning radio turns on, but instrument cluster warning lights stay off.

3. Keep holding the button for a few seconds (5-10) untill the display changes and says any of these words... OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE.

4. Release the button but then again press it and hold (about 5-10 seconds) untill RESET or RE flashes.

5. While the display flashes press the button one more time briefly, and if done correctly the words "end SIA" will show up in a few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by grmaster1 View Post
    Here's a slightly modified version copied from a user on E46fanatics that, finally, worked for me on the first try (key step is in bold):

******Here's what I did a little different to make it work*********

1) Hold down left odometer reset button
    2) Turn ket to Position #1 - First thing that displayed was TEST
    3) Wait about 5 seconds until the Oil Service or Inspection with Reset or RE came on
    4) As soon as the Oil Service with Reset light came on - I let go of the button and pressed it again - holding the button again
    5) As soon as the Oil Service with Reset light started to Flash - I let go of the buttone and pressed it again - but do not hold it down this time - just press it and let go (This is where everyone is having problems).
    6) I waited a few seconds and then the word Inspection came on since before it was saying Oil Service.
    7) Then the word END came and that's it.

Now it says Inspection 15525.
    01330iBMW Don't be such a newb, newb. Or else next time just post a link instead of copying and pasting...
    Last edited by slvrXI; 06-25-2009 at 01:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    -///Mike ///Michael ///Mikey

pwn noobs /thread

My Cars
    01 325ci
    I tried doing this a few times. I don't see "reset" or "re" on my display. Instead, it says "test." Does anyone else have this problem or am i just doing something wrong?

My Cars
    1999 323
    I bet you weren't pushing the button down hard enough. Sometimes you have to really apply some pressure to that left knob when you push it so it gives a steady input to the instrument cluster.

Sometimes I will hold down the left button while simultaneously slowly turning the key until the the cluster turns on ( like they said, position 1, but creep up on it). Just try pushing that button down a little harder and keep it down until you see the stuff the guys above posted. The "test" thing will yield to the service resetting procedure when you hold the button down long enough.

good luck.

since I'm new I cant post the youtube link I wanted.

go to you tube and search for this title :
    BMW E46 SII Reset

by "innoutbuff"

that video shows what you should see in your car.

My Cars
    325Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrXI View Post
    You know you should fucking quote whoever you stole that from... those are not your words, and you did not supply this information, now reference whoever you stole that from and give them credit.
    Hi slvrXI, I'm starting to worry about your health if you get all worked up about things like this. I remember my surprise when you sent me PM couple of weeks ago about some innocent post I made.
    Do you own this place or something ?
    While I can't deny your dedication and some great contributions to this site I think it's time to chill out a little

Mike

My Cars
    F30 320i
    Ok so I did the directions above and I accidentally reset the INSPECTION counter rather than the Oil Service counter. At first it said Reset Oil Service> Held for 5 seconds until Reset flashed> then hit the button briefly, in which the word 'End SIA' appeared. > After that I turned the ignition back to 0 and pulled my key out, then I put my key back in and turned to ignition 1, but my oil service did not reset. I did the same thing several times, but the same thing happened to me... I got all of the correct messages as what was said it should say, but nothing happened.

After my last attempt I ended accidentally reseting the Inspection counter...Errrr!

Someone tell me what I am doing wrong here.
    Last edited by BimmerBri84; 07-10-2009 at 08:04 PM.
    Previous Cars:
    1984 e30 318i
    1990 e34 525i
    2004 e46 325ci
    2011 e92 325i
    Current Car:
    2014 F30 320i

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    Quote Originally Posted by BimmerBri84 View Post
    Ok so I did the directions above and I accidentally reset the INSPECTION counter rather than the Oil Service counter. At first it said Reset Oil Service> Held for 5 seconds until Reset flashed> then hit the button briefly, in which the word 'End SIA' appeared.
    You did it correctly.
    It's a single counter, but the message alternates between "OILSERVICE" and "INSPECTION" each time you reset it. This is to remind you that you do the oil service at 15k intervals, and the Inspection (which includes oil service) at 30k intervals.

In 15k miles from now, you'll do the Inspection and oil change, reset it, and it'll say "OILSERVICE" again.

(might be a good idea to do an additional oil change when it reaches 7500 miles, but don't reset it at that time. it's like a "freebie" in terms of the maintenance schedule)
    Last edited by nathancarter; 07-11-2009 at 09:08 AM.

My Cars
    Slow E90 and a Fast E90

My Cars
    e46 m3,2oo4 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by slvrXI View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by slvrXI
    Here you are sir...

1. With the key out of the ignition... press and hold the left odometer button.

2. Turn the key to position 1... Meaning radio turns on, but instrument cluster warning lights stay off.

3. Keep holding the button for a few seconds (5-10) untill the display changes and says any of these words... OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE.

4. Release the button but then again press it and hold (about 5-10 seconds) untill RESET or RE flashes.

5. While the display flashes press the button one more time briefly, and if done correctly the words "end SIA" will show up in a few seconds.

01330iBMW Don't be such a newb, newb. Or else next time just post a link instead of copying and pasting...
    i think you should quote where you stole it from in wikipedia

RESETTING OIL SERVICE INDICATOR:

If your OBC needs to be reset after completing your oil change, there are two ways. NOTE: If you miss a step, just turn the key back off and try again:

A. Model Year 1999 to Mid-2000: You should have the older round 20-pin DLC connector under your hood behind the battery terminal, you need to use a small length of wire to connect (short) pins 7 and 19 for 3-5 seconds with the ignition key in position 1 (Accessory).

B. After Mid-2000: You should not have the 20-pin DLC connector. You only need to hold the left odometer reset button while turning the key to position 1 (Accessory). Keep holding the button for 5 or so seconds until any of the following shows in the display: OIL SERVICE or INSPECTION with RESET or RE. Release the button and press it again for another 5 or so seconds until RESET or RE flash. While the display flashes, press the button one more time briefly. If done correctly, END SIA should show up for a few seconds. All done.

My Cars
    97 M3 Coupe
    slvrXI, calm down, you aren't helping anyone.

rg0115, go to a BMW independent shop that is willing to help you out. They can reset it for you by plugging their computer into your OBD plug.