Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unlocking the High On Board Computer (OBC)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)

Unlocking the High On Board Computer (OBC)

Since the original document resides on a server that is being bombarded by email spammers and keeps crashing/spitting out error messages, I have, with Peter's permission, copied and pasted Peter's article on the High OBC here. I want to make sure Peter gets full credit for his work, so be aware that you can contact him by clicking on his name below.
    Some Bf.c members have expressed a desire to update this article to fill in the blanks as to some of the missing information on the OBC tests, so, please post if you have anything to add about the mystery tests.

TIA
    __________________________________________________ __________
    Exploring the E39 OBC
    (by Peter N. Glaskowsky)

Deus Ex Machina, Bavarian style

I've seen messages on the BMW mailing lists that describe how to read out data stored in the on-board computer (OBC) of various models. None of these techniques worked on my car, a 1999 BMW 540iA Sport equipped with the optional navigation system.After some careful exploration, I figured out how to read out this data right from the dashboard.
    The OBC makes some of its data available to the driver on the nav-system screen or on the check control indicator at the center of the lower edge of the instrument panel. This is the indicator that displays things like "FASTEN SEAT BELTS" while the car is operating. The OBC knows more than it's telling, though. It also keeps track of interesting things like the serial number of your car, the time rate of fuel consumption (liters per hour as opposed to liters per 100 km or miles per gallon, which you normally get from the OBC), the car's exact speed and engine RPM (haven't you wanted a digital speedo or tach?), the engine core temperature, and the battery voltage.
    The OBC even keeps track of some less-intesting things: the instantaneous measurement of fuel tank level (which varies rapidly as the fuel sloshes around), diagnostic codes, and the status of most of the buttons in the cockpit. I don't know what the diag codes mean, and there are other numbers stored in the OBC that I can't explain. Perhaps someone reading this can help inform me, and through me, the rest of the E39 community.
    I'm sharing this information with some trepidation. It's possible that if you attempt to duplicate what I've done, you could utterly destroy your car. Seriously. For all I know, hitting the wrong button at the wrong time could override some critical safety function. Disable a thermostat somewhere and the next thing you may learn about your expensive engine is how bad it smells when it melts.
    There are both questions and answers here. Help with the questions (including any displays I don't attempt to explain) and corrections to any of my proposed answers would be greatly appreciated.
    How to get to the OBC codes:

There are two buttons on the 540's instrument panel. The button to the lower left of the speedometer is the reset button for the trip odometer, which I'll call the Reset or R button. The button to the lower right of the tachometer is the check control key, which I'll call the Check or C button. If you don't have both of these buttons—and the check control indicator—on your instrument panel, this isn't likely to work for you.
    The first step is to start the car. (It may also work if the key is turned to position 1 or 2 without staring the engine; I didn't try.) Now hold in the Check button. The check control indicator will read "CHECK CONTROL OK". Keep holding the button. After a few seconds the indicator will go blank, and after a few seconds more the indicator will display "TEST-NR. 01". Now release the Check button.
    At this point you can press the Check button briefly to cycle through each available test, or hold it in for a few seconds to exit the test mode.
    In each test, you can press the Reset button to cycle through any displays that might be available in the current test (however, some tests use the Reset button to CHANGE the current value, which could be very bad—read the rest of this page before using the Reset button!). Here's what comes up for test 01. The first line is the initial display, and each subsequent line is displayed for each press of the Reset button. These displays are usually centered in the check indicator, but I won't attempt to imitate that here. I've added comments to explain the displays I think I understand.
    TEST-NR. 01
    FGSTNR: GM615xx (VIN serial number, censored)
    K: 7744
    BMWTNR: 8387061
    CI:12 DI:06 BI:09
    DAT: 43/98 (week and year of manufacture)
    HW:04 SW:1100/1100
    ZYL:08 M:4 S:4095 (cylinders, and what else?)
    CAN:02 AEND:14

There's a lot of information here. You'll notice here that the OBC's native language is German—"cylinder" is represented by ZYL because that's the abbreviation for the German word "Zylinder". You'll see other examples below of German words and metric units appearing in these OBC displays, regardless of what language the OBC usually uses to communicate with you.
    At first, tests 01 and 02 are the only test you'll be able to access. The rest of the tests are normally locked. Test 02 is simple:
    TEST-NR. 02
    (Instrument test)

This test works only when the key is in position 1, NOT when the car is running. Press Reset and all of the gauges and lamps in the instrument cluster come to life. All the lamps except for the warning indicators (such as overheating and low oil) come on. I presume the "idiot lights" are connected directly to their respective sensors so they still work even if the OBC dies.
    The speedometer and tachometer move on their own from one extreme to the other, so if you want to get a picture of your speedometer reading 155 without leaving the garage, this is the way to do it. (This is not how I made my autobahn video, though. :-)
    If you press the Check button to advance to test 03, then hit the Reset button, the indicator will display "LOCK: ON". This refers to a lock function that will keep you out of most of the remaining tests.
    To unlock these tests, add up the last five digits in your VIN number, producing a number from 0 to 45. With "LOCK: ON" displayed, hit the Reset button again. The display will change to "LOCK: 00". If the VIN sum was 0, press Check. Otherwise, press Reset until your VIN sum is displayed, then press Check. Press Check again until you get back to test 03. You'll know you got it right when you press Reset at this test and get the following displays (or something like them):
    TEST-NR. 03
    SI-L: 0610
    SI-TAGE: 0000

I assume these have something to do with the Service Indicator function. Maybe there's a way to reset it from here? I've read that the service indicator timer uses fuel consumption rather than miles or time.
    I'm told the SI-L reading indicates the number of liters consumed since the last service. On my car, it's too high to refer to liters consumed—by a factor of two or so—unless there's some starting offset. I'll keep track of it for a while and see if I can figure it out.
    On this basis, SI-TAGE should be days since the service indicator was last reset.
    Here's the rest of what I saw. Note that I've replaced some of the numbers with X's where they can vary according to the operation of the car. Test 04, for example, has two displays related to fuel consumption.
    TEST-NR. 04
    VBR: xx.x L/100KM (mileage)
    VBR: x.x L/HR (fuel consumption in liters/hr)

This test shows the current rate of fuel consumption—think of it as a digital version of the mileage gauge. Someone was recently wondering how quickly his car consumes fuel while idling—mine reports 1.3–1.6 liters per hour, or about 50 hours of idling on a full tank.
    TEST-NR. 05
    RW-VBR: xx.x L/100KM (average mileage)
    RW: xxx KM (range)

I get about 14.3 miles per gallon overall, but your mileage, of course, will vary. :-)
    TEST-NR. 06
    TNK: 7.5/31.0/38.5L (current fuel levels: left, right, total)
    TNKANZ: 39.4L PHASE1 (average total fuel level)

This test relates to the fuel tank. I left the numbers in to assist with the explanation, but you'll get different numbers. The first two numbers seem to be independent fuel-level measurements; the third is the sum of the first two. My car has some kind of "reserve" gas tank with a rated capacity of "approximately 10 liters", so maybe the first number is the reserve tank. The first two readings bounce around a lot when the car is moving, suggesting that the fuel-level sensors respond fast enough to show the fuel sloshing around in the tank.
    The first value also starts out higher than it ought to be and declines over the first ten minutes of operation to a stable value. The second number starts out low and increases, while the third number remains relatively stable but still moves around. For example, on my first trip after making these measurements, the TNK values started out at 19.6/19.7/39.3 and declined to 6.9/31.2/38.1 within a few minutes. I assume the dashboard fuel gauge ignores the first value as long as there's fuel left in the main tank, since it seems fairly consistent from one trip to the next. I've had trouble with my OBC being overoptimistic about its driving range estimates right after the car is started when the tank is near empty, though, and I think this shows why.
    The German word Anzahl means "quantity". The TNKANZ value seems to indicate the average fuel level over some period. And what does PHASE1 mean?
    TEST-NR. 07
    KTMP: xxx°C (engine core temperature)
    N: xxxxx U/MIN (engine RPM)
    ATMP: +xx.0°C (ambient temperature)

It was 65°F when I took these readings (about 18°C) and the core temperature stabilized at about 108°C, which seems about right. My car idles at about 500 RPM, a value which is difficult to read precisely from the tachometer.
    TEST-NR. 08
    V: xxx KM/H (current velocity)

TEST-NR. 09
    VB: xx.x V (battery voltage)

Tests 08 and 09 have just one display each, and both are somewhat useful. My battery voltage, idling in the garage, was around 13.5 V.
    TEST-NR. 10
    LAND: 02 US (country of sale?)

TEST-NR. 11
    EINHEIT 1: F7
    EINHEIT 2: FA
    EINHEIT 3: 4A

Einheit means "unit". Units 1 through 3, then, and each seems to have a hexadecimal (base-16) number associated with it. Intriguing, eh? It gets better later on.
    TEST-NR. 12
    VANK: xxx.x KM/H
    ANK: --:--

On my car, VANK was 077.6 KM/H. Could ANK be from the German word Ankunftszeit for "time of arrival"? That would explain why it was blank, since I didn't have a destination programmed when I read out these values. In this case, VANK could be average speed for the purpose of calculating time of arrival, left over from the last trip.
    TEST-NR. 13
    GONG?

This one is the audio equivalent of Test 02. Instead of testing the lights, it tests the sounds. You'll hear, in order, the tones for the Memo, Outdoor Temperature Alert, Limit/Code, and Check Control chimes.
    TEST-NR. 14
    DIAG: 1 C7 81 000
    DIAG: 2 00 00 000
    DIAG: 3 00 00 000
    DIAG: 4 00 00 000
    DIAG: 5 00 00 000

These would presumably change if your car has accumulated diagnostic codes for some failure. I don't know what C7 81 means; I've seen my car do the occasional strange thing, but nothing bad has happened. At least as far as I know.
    Now, here we get into the most intriguing test:
    TEST-NR. 15
    PORT A00: xxxxxxxx
    PORT A01: 00000111
    PORT A02: xx0x0001
    PORT A03: 00000011
    PORT A04: 000x0101
    PORT A05: 001B1111
    PORT A06: 00110101
    PORT B00: xxxxxxxx
    PORT B01: 00100010
    PORT B02: xx0x0110
    PORT B03: x0111001
    PORT B04: 000x1111
    PORT B05: 11100111
    PORT B06: 00000000

Here we have some cool stuff. These appear to be register values from some type of microprocessor, displayed in binary. The 0's and 1's showed here were stable when I read out these values; the x's were toggling between 0 and 1. I didn't take any time to try to figure out what these bits mean, with one exception:
    Notice the "B" in register A05—I discovered that this bit is connected to the button on the turn-signal stalk that controls the on-board computer (OBC) displays that normally appear in the check control indicator. Normally this bit is 0; press the OBC stalk button and it goes to 1.
    TEST-NR. 16
    OELTEMP: -48°C

This means "oil temp," but I'm pretty sure the oil was a lot warmer. In fact, I'm pretty sure there isn't anything on my car that can be this cold. So it's a mystery.
    TEST-NR. 17
    RCC-EMPF.: ----MIN

I have no idea what this means.
    TEST-NR. 18
    (No response to Reset on this test.)

TEST-NR. 19
    LOCK: OFF (press Reset to turn the lock back on)

TEST-NR. 20
    KVBR: 1000

This "test" is actually a way to adjust the OBC's fuel consumption factor. There's a sensor in the fuel injector system that indicates fuel consumption back to the OBC. This "KVBR" value is used to calibrate that sensor using the following process:
    1. Reset one of the OBC mileage indicators and the trip odometer, and fill your tank.
    2. Record the actual fuel consumption for your car over a long period (one to two months at least).
    3. Divide this reading into the trip odometer value to calculate your actual mileage.
    4. Divide this result by the OBC indicated mileage over the same period and multiply by 1000.
    You now have your fuel consumption factor. To enter the factor into the OBC, get into Test 20 and press Reset. This will start the KVBR value counting down. It will count down to 750, then start over at 1250. A crude user interface to be sure, but it works.
    You probably don't need to change the KVBR value; the default value of 1000 should be accurate. And if your calculated fuel consumption factor is outside the 750–1250 range, there's probably something wrong.
    TEST-NR. 21
    RESET?

Be careful here too—I didn't try the Reset button on this one, because I assume it resets the whole OBC. This could be a very bad thing.
    So, there you go—I hope the fact that I went poking around in my car will satisfy YOUR curiosity. Please don't follow my example unless you know what you're doing and are willing to accept the potentially catastrophic consequences.
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 05-29-2009 at 04:03 PM.

My Cars
    '03 330i6, '08 E92 M3
    You can press reset on test 8 to toggle between actual speed and the advanced speed reading the OBC sends to the speedometer. I have some missing pixels, so I'm not sure exactly what the display says. I think it's "V Anz: xxx km/h"

My Cars
    00 540i & 95' 325is
    Very cool - can I interface with this menu through the OBC display on my NAV?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Scot J View Post
    Very cool - can I interface with this menu through the OBC display on my NAV?
    No but (some?? I know Mk IV for sure do) nav systems have their own secret menu.

Hover the selector over "Settings" (so its highlighted but dont click it)
    Hold down "Menu" for about 8 seconds until it goes to the secret menu.

There are places to tell how many satellites the GPS is connecting to, and which satellites. And im not sure if they all have this but I know M5s have a gyro that can be displayed - showing your direction of travel and maybe even G-forces. I would think the other 5 series have that gyro as well. And to think, car magazines thought it was just sooo cool that the ZR1 and GT-R had that little feature... BMW is one step ahead haha (only they hid it so people wont get distracted when driving which is a damn good idea)

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    On my car when I select the test NR I want, I went to press the reset button to enter the test, and all I get is Lock:ON I can't figure out how to access the test features.
    2001 Z3 3.0i -Oxford Green/Sandbeige
    2016 428xi -Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 430iC- Estoril Blue II/Black
    2018 330it - Melbourne Red/Venetian Beige/Black

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    On my car when I select the test NR I want, I went to press the reset button to enter the test, and all I get is Lock:ON I can't figure out how to access the test features.

here, from the instructions posted:

If you press the Check button to advance to test 03, then hit the Reset button, the indicator will display "LOCK: ON". This refers to a lock function that will keep you out of most of the remaining tests.
    To unlock these tests, add up the last five digits in your VIN number, producing a number from 0 to 45. With "LOCK: ON" displayed, hit the Reset button again. The display will change to "LOCK: 00". If the VIN sum was 0, press Check. Otherwise, press Reset until your VIN sum is displayed, then press Check. Press Check again until you get back to test 03. You'll know you got it right when you press Reset at this test and get the following displays (or something like them):

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Thanks, i guess it pays to pay attention to what you're reading.

My Cars
    2000 540i M-sport
    Interesting. Thanks!
    2000 540i M-sport
    1991 Camaro RS LT1/T56 Procharger ATI

"The laws of physics cannot be repealed,
    even with ASC+T/DSC" --As stated in the driver's manual.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    If anyone want the written instructions from the BMW documents (for the high & low instrument cluster)...click this link..remember...the e38/e39/e53 (X5) all share the same instrument cluster designs: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3134093/6

Here's some examples of what you'll see at the link above..these are the FIRST pages for the UNLOCK procedure for the high & low instrument cluster...the link above will explain what the 21 TESTs are:

TIP: the Ignition positions are:
    • KL R = position 1
    • KL 15 = position 2 (all accessories on)
    • KL 30 = position 3 (where the key returns after starting)
    • KL 50 = position 4 (this is where the starter is engaged)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-17-2010 at 12:53 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    E39 540i Sport
    In Test #20 i have accidentaly changed the fuel consumption factor from 1000 to 998.

Is there a way to go back to 1000 backwards or do i have to go throught all the number till it hits 1000 again?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Test 8 is the only good one

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by DP540 View Post
    In Test #20 i have accidentaly changed the fuel consumption factor from 1000 to 998.

Is there a way to go back to 1000 backwards or do i have to go throught all the number till it hits 1000 again?
    Accidentally? Hmmm, okay...if you say so. You know that you have to consciously press the LEFT button to change the correction factor...THEN press the right button to SET the new correction factor...but if you say accidentally...I'll take you at your word.

The direction in which the numbers go is explained in the information that was provided in the link a few posts back...below is the page that explains it...see the 2nd paragraph under TEST 20:

Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT View Post
    Test 8 is the only good one
    Until you need to figure out if you have a burnt out bulb or pixels from a non-working warning light or a gauge that isn't working (do TEST 2)...or you need to find out what's going on with your gas tank then do TEST 6 and see that one of the fuel senders isn't putting out any signals. How about when you're having overheating issues...you can throw up TEST 7 and keep an eye out on your coolant temperature...and know way before the gauge on the cluster when you're about to overheat the engine. Or how about you go to start the car and you get the scary pause...or you get the dreaded "click, click, click...you can then do TEST 9 and see that your battery is only putting out 10.8 volts and is dead or you need a jump.

There's a lot of useful info you can glean when you Unlock the OBC.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 02-17-2010 at 08:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    E39 540i Sport
    What about when you press the button on the indicator lever. If you press it cycles through time, cons1, cons2, speed, etc. I you press and hold it displays "PROGRAM"

Anyone know what that's about?

My Cars
    98 540i6
    yes, you can program what you do and don't want displayed when you scroll through those.

search function will tell you more about it. this thread is for OBC unlocking and exploration.

My Cars
    2001 530I
    Very interesting info.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Accidentally? Hmmm, okay...if you say so. You know that you have to consciously press the LEFT button to change the correction factor...THEN press the right button to SET the new correction factor...but if you say accidentally...I'll take you at your word.

The direction in which the numbers go is explained in the information that was provided in the link a few posts back...below is the page that explains it...see the 2nd paragraph under TEST 20:

Until you need to figure out if you have a burnt out bulb or pixels from a non-working warning light or a gauge that isn't working (do TEST 2)...or you need to find out what's going on with your gas tank then do TEST 6 and see that one of the fuel senders isn't putting out any signals. How about when you're having overheating issues...you can throw up TEST 7 and keep an eye out on your coolant temperature...and know way before the gauge on the cluster when you're about to overheat the engine. Or how about you go to start the car and you get the scary pause...or you get the dreaded "click, click, click...you can then do TEST 9 and see that your battery is only putting out 10.8 volts and is dead or you need a jump.

There's a lot of useful info you can glean when you Unlock the OBC.
    I only use test 6 when my gauge reads 0 and I need to know how many litters are left... so I don't run out of gas before I reach the gas station... lol... and test 2 is worthless when the car is on

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT View Post
    I only use test 6 when my gauge reads 0 and I need to know how many litters are left... so I don't run out of gas before I reach the gas station... lol... and test 2 is worthless when the car is on
    You shouldn't let your tank go below 1/4 full if you can help it.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesdc4 View Post
    You shouldn't let your tank go below 1/4 full if you can help it.

why is that?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by DP540 View Post
    What about when you press the button on the indicator lever... it cycles through time, cons1, cons2, speed, etc. I you press and hold it displays "PROGRAM"

Anyone know what that's about?
    Quote Originally Posted by mattmartindrift View Post
    yes, you can program what you do and don't want displayed when you scroll through those...
    Ditto what mattmartindrift said....your question is about a totally different subject. This thread is about UNLOCKING the hidden info that shows some of the calculations the OBC performs...and some other data about the car.

Your' question has to do with a feature of the OBC that allows you to display either ALL or specific features of the OBC that you would normally show up on your MID or Nav screen....in the instrument cluster's CCD (check control display). This isn't hidden info...but just redundant info that you can already see.

Here's the instruction for programming the OBC to appear in the instrument cluster if you have a MID. If you have a NAV screen, you can do the same...just substitue NAV for MID in the instructions....and when you're done...press the SET button.

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    jamesdc4,

Great post man. Can I use this on my 2002 M5 too... ?

My Cars
    z3
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Da Clean1 View Post
    jamesdc4,

Great post man. Can I use this on my 2002 M5 too... ?
    Yes... all E39s

Going into my TENTH YEAR of providing high quality reproduction BMW fabrics!

PRICE CUT on ALL FABRICS
    Offering the best prices on the best quality reproduction fabrics!

My Cars
    2001 E39 M5
    Can someone point me towards a list of the Test 14 codes?

I have
    BF 88
    83 81
    90 84
    F5 84
    3F 88

and while it is all great and wonderful if someone is kind enough to decode them for me... I would really love to have the list to thumb through myself.

My Cars
    98 540i6
    just get a code reader or other bmw-specific fault reader, it will be easier than deciphering BMW's hexadecimal coding.

My Cars
    4 BMWs.
    Tried this in my 540i, I can only access tests 01 and 02... everything else says LOCK:ON and when I hit the R button (Left side) it counts LOCK:00 all the way up to 45 before cycling back to 01. The gauge cluster in my car was replaced with an '06 one as per the BMW replacements for dead pixels. I'd like to access test 20 to recalibrate my CONSUM function. it's always at least 1.5 MPG optimistic.

NVM. I figured it out, as per this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...BC+calibration info.
    Last edited by amancuso; 07-21-2010 at 06:44 PM.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by amancuso View Post
    Tried this in my 540i, I can only access tests 01 and 02... everything else says LOCK:ON and when I hit the R button (Left side) it counts LOCK:00 all the way up to 45 before cycling back to 01. ...
    NVM. I figured it out, as per this http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...BC+calibration info.
    So you figured out that as you were pressing the R (trip odometer reset button) you were supposed to STOP at the number that was equal to the sum of the last 5 digits of your car's VIN...then press the right button (CC "check control) button to set it, right?

Just like it says in the instructions that were posted above and below (if you have the high cluster)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast