Thread: *DIY E34 540I Fuel Filter Replacement DIY

My Cars
    318i/5

*DIY E34 540I Fuel Filter Replacement DIY

Figured I'd change my fuel filter this past weekend and wrote a DIY. I hope it becomes useful for someone.

**********************DISCLAIMER****************** ******
    I am not responsible for anything that you do to your car. While this is a very straight forward and detailed DIY, I don't want to be responsible for any mistakes that one could make. Work on your car at your own risk.

This DIY may be too detailed for some members. The reason why I made it so detailed is because there are some members here who are just learning to work on cars and I wanted to eliminate any and all guess work.

Tools Required:
    Jack
    Jackstands
    2 Clamps OR 2Vise grips (I recommend the vise grips)
    Sharpie - optional
    Oil Pan - optional
    10mm socket
    Ratchet
    Flat head screwdriver
    WD40 -optional
    New Hose Clamps - $3 at local parts store
    New Fuel Filter
    Goggles - optional but recommended
    Rubber Gloves - optional

This job is not difficult at all. I would say 1 out of 5 in difficulty.

The fuel filter is located in the rear of the car. It is tucked away on the right side, next to the fuel cell. You have to get under the car to see it.

Step 1:
    Safely raise the rear of the car with a jack and secure it with a jackstand or two.

Step 2:
    Put on the goggles if you chose to have them. I recommend having a pair to avoid gas in the eyes. Put on the rubber gloves as well at this point.

Step 3:
    Slide under the car and locate the fuel filter. Take a sharpie and draw an arrow towards the right rear wheel. This insures that you don't install the fuel filter the wrong way. (I didn't have a sharpie so I used a screwdriver to scratch the arrow on the filter).

Step 4:
    Take the vise grips and pinch the hoses on both ends of the fuel filter. If you're using vise grip pliers, wrap the tips with take to avoid damaging the hoses. This can also be done with C clamps but the hose which is on the OUT end of the filter side will be hard to clamp.

Step 5:
    Using a flat head screwdriver, undo the hose clamps and slide them down the hose. They should still be in front of the vise grips or clamps so that when the filter is off, you can easily slide the old hose clamps off.

Step 6:
    Pull the hoses off each end of the filter. BE CAREFUL! The fuel will pour out. Not much but some. IF you chose to have a oil pan, it can be placed underneath and the gas can collect in the pan instead of the floor.

Step 7:
    When the hose clamps are undone on each end, take the 10mm socket and ratchet and undo the bolt which secures the fuel filter bracket. If you chose to have WD40, feel free to use it. I, however, don't think you'll need it.

Step 8:
    Take the filter out and set it in the oil pan if you chose to have one.

Step 9:
    Take the new filter and compare it to the old filter. Mark it with a sharpie the same way as the old filter. The end closer to the right rear wheel is IN and the end which is facing the left rear wheel is OUT.

Step 10:
    Put the fuel filter bracket on the new filter.

Step 11:
    Place the fuel filter back in its location and screw in the 10mm screw with the ratchet. After you do that, the new fuel filter will be securely attached in the place of the old one.

Step 12:
    Take the new clamps and put them on the IN and OUT hoses.

Step 13:
    Plug the hoses onto the filter nipples and slide the hose clamps in place.

Step 14:
    Tighten the hose clamps and inspect them. Try to pull the hoses off (not rip them off full force, just pull slightly) to make sure they're on securely.

Step 15:
    Take off the vise grips and clean up. You're done. This should be done about every 30-50K...

Hope it helps!!
    Last edited by acet; 05-28-2009 at 12:43 PM.
    -Леха

My Cars
    94' 530i/5
    very detailed. nice close-up pictures too

i thought all M60s had 2 fuel filters? mine does
    Borbet Type C 17x8, e36 m3 shifter, Apexcone 55W 5000K HIDs, Blaupunkt MP47 HU, Blaupunkt VA2100, IDQ12, Muffler delete

My Cars
    318i/5
    Hmm when I was at the store, they said I only needed one. Where is the second one located?
    -Леха

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    Up to 04/1995 all M60 cars used 2 small fuel filters, after 04/1995 they used one BIG filter.

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by ALEX 540i View Post
    Up to 04/1995 all M60 cars used 2 small fuel filters, after 04/1995 they used one BIG filter.
    Thank you for clearing that up for us!! This DIY is for a 09/1995 540i and it does only have on big filter.

If you have two filters however, you can still use this DIY. It should be very similar.
    -Леха

My Cars
    82 320i/4, 89 535i/5
    sticky this!

This beats paying $100+ (labor).
    Last edited by 5senses; 05-28-2009 at 01:45 PM. Reason: 2 much words
    E34 535i/5 (Dirty D)
    RIP E21 320i/4 (Hammerhead)

My Cars
    '11 328xiT/6, '99 M3
    You are a surprisingly good E34 forum member. Excellent thread.
    -Denton

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    I appreciate the write-up, happen to be changing my fuel filters this weekend. great timing!

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by 5senses View Post
    sticky this!

This beats paying $100+ (labor).
    Sure does!

Quote Originally Posted by 4500 RPM View Post
    Thanks. I learn from the best

Quote Originally Posted by jessejames View Post
    I appreciate the write-up, happen to be changing my fuel filters this weekend. great timing!
    Glad I could help!!
    -Леха

My Cars
    1992 525i-e34
    this is funny. i did my filter tonight too! same way. however i used my thumbs to hold the hoses while swapping filters. rofl.
    Had: 1991 e30 325iC
    Present: 1992 e34 525i.slow.

My Cars
    95-540/6AlpinweißIII
    Quote Originally Posted by 4500 RPM View Post
    Agree!

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Atreus99 View Post
    this is funny. i did my filter tonight too! same way. however i used my thumbs to hold the hoses while swapping filters. rofl.
    I actually cleaned my bracket and took my time...but sure, whatever works for you my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by sqitis View Post
    Agree!
    Thanks! I actually like writing DIY's and help people so you know there is more to come...
    Last edited by acet; 05-29-2009 at 10:49 AM.
    -Леха

My Cars
    1995 540i/6
    I have a 02/1995 with the duel filters. When I did mine I bought the single filter for the newer 540 and removed the 2 tee's so now I only have one filter

eaglecomm is offline Senile Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '00 740iL & '94 540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by madk0w View Post
    I have a 02/1995 with the duel filters. When I did mine I bought the single filter for the newer 540 and removed the 2 tee's so now I only have one filter
    Yep, I did the same thing for my dad's 540. Worked out well... would probably work out better though if I had the late model 540 bracket. The 2-filter bracket worked fine, but its always nice to use something stock as well as I will continue to check his filter to make sure the hoses don't rub against the heatshielding. They were find at the time.. but tight..

Nice rightup Ace-t.
    Best recent quote: 'I got passed the other day by a 535. He was doing the speed limit. I was trying to do the speed limit.' -FieroZ34

My Cars
    318i/5
    Thanks bro!! Nice car!!!!
    -Леха

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    My 2000 540i didn't get me home from a trip this weekend ... spit & sputtered ... would run several miles sometime then maybe a half mile. Later would hardly run at all ... all the time jerking. AutoZone connected and came up with codes P1351 "Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut-off", "P0171 "Fuel trim bank one condition", P0174 "Fuel trim bank two condition". I found and removed the fuel filter under the driver seat behind plastic cover exterior" and found it to be the type with a pressure regulator ... $65 online. Was wondering if anyone knows how to test this filter first without purchasing a new one?
    Last edited by obieron; 08-19-2009 at 02:49 PM.

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by obieron View Post
    My 2000 540i didn't get me home from a trip this weekend ... spit & sputtered ... would run several miles sometime then maybe a half mile. Later would hardly run at all ... all the time jerking. AutoZone connected and came up with codes P1351 "Misfire cylinder 5 with fuel cut-off", "P0171 "Fuel trim bank one condition", P0174 "Fuel trim bank two condition". I found and removed the fuel filter under the driver seat behind plastic cover exterior" and found it to be the type with a pressure regulator ... $65 online. Was wondering if anyone knows how to test this filter first without purchasing a new one?
    The only way that I would think you could test something like that is to disconnect the "out" hose and try to crank the car. If the fuel shoots out, you're good. If the fuel barelly flows, its no good.

I would STRONGY RECOMMEND replacing the filter however, since that is just like the regular maintenance. Its already 9 years old and counting.

Could your fuel pump be going bad?
    -Леха

My Cars
    09 550i 97 740il
    I would just change it . My 94 530i did exactly the same, changed the filter now its great.

My Cars
    BMW 540i
    Thanks!
    It shoots out a stream about 18" long x 1/4" diameter ... looks like heaps of gas. I connected it back and started the car and it's ideling ... will take it on the road soon for test then look into getting a replacement filter for the maintenance time as you suggested.

Just took it for a 10-mile spin with not even as much as one hickup. All I did was disconnect the battery, remove the filter to see if I could blow through it ... couldn't because of the pressure regulator I guess ... put it back on ... connected the battery and checked the output as you suggested. Started it and let it idle for some time then 10 miles. huh!
    Last edited by obieron; 08-19-2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    318i/5
    Glad it worked out for you! Sure look into replacing it sometime down the road. Its just preventative maintenance. You will be able to list an extra item if you ever decide to sell the car

Let us know if you have more issues with your car.
    -Леха

My Cars
    and trucks
    Came by to add to the 2vs1 filter mystery. Went to change mine today and have two filters. 9/93 build date. The two filters are side by side, with a T fitting at both ends of the main filter and the second filter attached by ~2.5inches of hose.

Also, my bolt for the bracket is stripped any ideas on removal? Don't really want to take a dremel or grinder down there.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

eaglecomm is offline Senile Member BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '00 740iL & '94 540i/6
    Can you apply outward pressure at the same time as trying to turn the bolt? Sort of forcing it to the unstripped part of the bolt in hopes of catching a thread?
    Best recent quote: 'I got passed the other day by a 535. He was doing the speed limit. I was trying to do the speed limit.' -FieroZ34

My Cars
    1994 530i
    So I replaced the fuel filter's on my 94 530i for the first time since purchasing it. And I came to discover the last person to replace them put one of them on the wrong way Correct me if i'm wrong... but both filter's flow should be going from passanger side towards the driver side.

My Cars
    E34 540i
    Correct. They both flow the same way. Not surprisingly, from the tank towards the motor. The 540 uses 2 filters due to a greater fuel flow requirement. Why only use 1? It will just clog up that much faster with the pressure going through it.

My Cars
    318i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Sherman View Post
    Correct. They both flow the same way. Not surprisingly, from the tank towards the motor. The 540 uses 2 filters due to a greater fuel flow requirement. Why only use 1? It will just clog up that much faster with the pressure going through it.
    95 540 uses one filter.
    -Леха