Thread: Interior Pillars

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci

Interior Pillars

I just took out a whole weekend to work on my interior pillars. They were originally gray and I re-did them in black suede. Here are some pictures.

Sorry the pics are kinda big. High Res.

Pillar A

Pillar B

Pillar C

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Very, very nice looking pillars. Well done!!!! Better than painting them...hehe

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

My Cars
    00' BMW 323I
    mine are pealing bad and i wanted to do the same thing the only thing is my dash is balck but the rest of the car is grey with blk cube trim idk if it will look out of place... what do you think... your work is perfection btw how long did it take?

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by dennisk88 View Post
    I just took out a whole weekend to work on my interior pillars. They were originally gray and I re-did them in black suede. Here are some pictures.

Sorry the pics are kinda big. High Res.

Pillar A

Pillar B

Pillar C

Are you also going to do this to your trim....?

My Cars
    sanbyaku sanjuu
    nice

My pillars were so wrinkled and peeling I redid them in suede. I made the mistake of getting the non-stretching fabric. The A pillars are hella faded right now so I'm going to redo them all with stretchy fabric.

Did you get automotive suede or did you put some kind of protection on yours? How did you take off the B pillar?

BFC: The land of BMW nerds, snobs, noobs, thread jackers, cheapskates, clear corner modders, small wheel lovers, and people who don't know how to use "your/you're"

My Cars
    2000 323i
    Sweet looking, I wonder if velour would work?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by dirsh View Post
    nice

My pillars were so wrinkled and peeling I redid them in suede. I made the mistake of getting the non-stretching fabric. The A pillars are hella faded right now so I'm going to redo them all with stretchy fabric.

Did you get automotive suede or did you put some kind of protection on yours? How did you take off the B pillar?

I just went to a fabric store and asked for suede that would well in my car. The fabric wasn't all the stretchy but I just took my time with the glue and smoothed out the wrinkles. The adhesives that I used were 3M Adhesive and Contact Cement, which can be found in the paint section a Lowes. As for the B pillars they were kind of a pain but you have to take off the back interior panel not all the way though, just enough to operate in. The best way is sticking a flat head into it where the door trim is and slowly pry off. After that there are to pins holding the bottom of the pillars in; use some type of pliers to remove them. I used wire cutters. After removing the pins slide the pillar down because there are two metal hooks holding it in at the top then all you have to do is remove the seat belt which is easy. One other thing just make sure you push the metal hooks in some otherwise when you put the B pillars back in they will not meet the headliner like they used to. Good Luck!

P.S. Thanks to all for the compliments
    Last edited by dennisk88; 05-10-2009 at 11:51 PM.

My Cars
    04 330i ZHP 6MT
    Looks good. Now just finish it by doing the headliner and buying the seatbelt hardware that goes on the B pillar in black.
    Eli

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    I like the gray headliner and seatbelt hardware. It kinda accents the gray. It looks good in person though lol

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Gotta question. How did you tackle thefront pillars with that grey strip that goes in there to cover the torx screws?

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Well that was quite difficult because the piece is very fragile and will break. But I just put the cloth on the top and glued it with contact cement then shaved off the sides with a razor blade. I broke many parts on mine but super glue worked really well. Also if you want a good result use goof off it takes of the previous adhesive on the pillars otherwise the new adhesive might not stick well.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Got it...Goof off....I have been sanding mine for a week...and making quite a nice mess. I have definetely reached my exposure limit on felt.....ahhh...ahhhh...chooo!!!

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330Ci
    Yeah goof off works real good but make sure your outside because its fumes gets real strong