Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory Hard Wind Blocker

My Cars
    08 135i

Factory Hard Wind Blocker

I just had the factory hard wind blocker installed today. While the part was a bit expensive at $441.00 with the BMW CCA Discount and installation at $90.00. I am extremely satisfied with the product. It dramatically reduces wind buffeting at speed and stows to the underside of the trunk when not in use. I have had wind blockers on my previous cars, 3 Miata's and think this one is the best of all of them.

BTW I saw the new Retractable Hard Top today and actually prefer my body style with the exception of the front facia. The trunk is lacking with the top retracted and has about 1/2 the capacity of mine.

My Cars
    '04 330i ZHP 6spd
    Pics of new wind deflector please!

My Cars
    08 135i
    I would love to if someone would tell me how to import them to this post

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by rps View Post
    I just had the factory hard wind blocker installed today. While the part was a bit expensive at $441.00 with the BMW CCA Discount and installation at $90.00. I am extremely satisfied with the product. It dramatically reduces wind buffeting at speed and stows to the underside of the trunk when not in use. I have had wind blockers on my previous cars, 3 Miata's and think this one is the best of all of them.

BTW I saw the new Retractable Hard Top today and actually prefer my body style with the exception of the front facia. The trunk is lacking with the top retracted and has about 1/2 the capacity of mine.
    Having 1/2 the capacity of your current trunk with a hardtop folded into it is no little feat! I can't believe you're really complaining of a lack of trunk space with the hardtop stowed...

I would love to if someone would tell me how to import them to this post
    Get 3 more posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    [quote=rps;16255319]I just had the factory hard wind blocker installed today. While the part was a bit expensive at $441.00 with the BMW CCA Discount and installation at $90.00. I am extremely satisfied with the product.

does anyone know how the factory unit compares to the one from roadster solutions that goes for $215?

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S
    Quote Originally Posted by Critter7r View Post
    Having 1/2 the capacity of your current trunk with a hardtop folded into it is no little feat! I can't believe you're really complaining of a lack of trunk space with the hardtop stowed...

Get 3 more posts.
    I got to drive a new turbo all day Saturday. Nice car...but certainly no M car. Seems to me like BMW completely gave up competing with Porsche, and is totally after the SLK crowd now.

Very smooth riding, though. My biggest complaint? I could NOT fit one set of golf clubs in the trunk with the top down. No way.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Mazda did it with no impact on trunk space with the MX-5 PRHT...

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Does anyone have a picture of the factory clear windblocker they can post? I'm trying to determine if its worth paying the extra money for it. thanks.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemak View Post
    Does anyone have a picture of the factory clear windblocker they can post? I'm trying to determine if its worth paying the extra money for it. thanks.
    This is from the BMW accessories web site:

http://accessories.bmwusa.com/ItemVi...&productId=587

My Cars
    08 135i
    FYI The Factory Wind Blocker is made up of a very fine mesh. Easily to see through and also cuts down on the sun and mainly the wind.

My Cars
    2004 325 xi, 2006 Z4

Windblocker Install

I did this a few years ago.

Back in the family again - just bought a new Z4

Here are the steps required to install the OEM windblocker using replacement roll bar covers.

Here are the OEM part numbers

1 54-34-7-117-745 DEFLECTOR Kit also include 2 roll bar inserts
    2 51-43-7-056-316 Roll Bar COVERING RIGHT
    3 51-43-7-055-440 Roll Bar COVERING RIGHT
    4 51-43-7-056-315 Roll Bar COVERING LEFT
    5 51-43-7-055-439 Roll Bar COVERING LEFT
    6 54-34-7-117-751
    FRAME OPTIONAL TRUNK HOLDER ( Cannot be used with the Z4 storage system accessory for the trunk )

Here's a pic of the windflow inside the cabin with and without the windblocker.

First of all lower to top all the way into the trunk.

It's impossible to remove the original covers without breaking one or two of the retaining tabs and they
    are not that expensive, so you may as well plan on replacing them with new ones.

Start by removing the plastic covers over the seat belt guides.

They simply clip into place but you will need to pull pretty hard to release them.

The next step is to remove the seat belt guide which is held in place with a 6 point star screw
    (need a size "25" 6 point wrench)

Removing the guide allows the roll bar covers to be pried apart.

Now you need to pry off the front and back plastic covers which are held in place with barb type clips.

I started out using plastic spatulas but they were not rigid enough.

I then used a broad bladed wood chisel. Forced it into the gap between the each cover and the metal roll bar,
    worked around the cover and simply levered it off.

The next step is to install the roll bar inserts.

These clip into the roll bars - BEFORE - you replace the roll bar covers

There are rectangular holes in the metal rollbars to accept the clips in the 2 small wind block inserts.

Make sure you install them so that the coat hook is facing in to the car.

The next step is to install the new covers these clip into the metal roll bar very easily.

Just ensure:

1. any tabs that broke off when you removed the original covers are removed from the roll bars

2. the flexible gasket at the base of the covers is seated correctly to provide a clean finish to the install.

Then there are 2 guides to be screwed onto either side of the roll bars.

Make sure the guides are oriented correctly so that the windblocker locks in place when installed.

The screws are provided in the kit and so are plastic covers to conceal the screw heads.

The screws are again six point screws, this time size "15"

Then all that is left is to replace the seat belt guides and snap back on the guide covers.

Total time - 1 hour including taking pictures

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    That was an excellent writeup Audi4t! This makes it very apparent I could do this myself if I decide to upgrade from the slip on windscreen I currently have. I don't understand why BMW didn't provide the widscreen as standard equipment. They could have made the center piece optional(as with the Porsche Boxster). This way we would not have to destroy the roll hoop covers to install. I may just buy the center section of the kit since my headrests are solid. I can't imagine the roll hoop inserts do much on the M...

Does anyone know if there is a separate part number for the center piece and associated brackets? It would seem this would be needed by someone due to damage/ or having it fly out of the car. I know Boxsters loose the roll hoop screens and sometimes the center deflector.
    Last edited by chickdr; 05-17-2009 at 09:32 PM.

My Cars
    BMW Z4
    Great description, great pics thanks!!!

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    I have one more question audi4t- when putting the guides on the roll bars- how did you know exactly where to put them so they line up correctly? Did you drill holes for the screws to go into?

My Cars
    2003 Z4 3.0i
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    I have one more question audi4t- when putting the guides on the roll bars- how did you know exactly where to put them so they line up correctly? Did you drill holes for the screws to go into?
    The new Roll Hoop covers that come with the wind deflector are pre-drilled for the guides.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Quote Originally Posted by BillN View Post
    The new Roll Hoop covers that come with the wind deflector are pre-drilled for the guides.
    Do they have something special to hold the screws, or are they just holes? I was planning to drill into the covers I already have. Maybe this idea won't work? I thought they were replacement covers identical to what was there originally...

My Cars
    06 M Roady; 2011 Mini S
    sigh. I sure wish there was something decent looking for those of us with Extended Leather.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    Today I finally received all the parts I needed to install the center section of the factory windblocker. It went much easier than I had expected. I used the brackets which attach to the rollhoops to mark spots for drilling(they are contoured and can only seat properly at one point on the front half of the hoop.) Used a small drillbit(one size smaller than the screws) to make holes and then installed the self taping screws. Very solid and holds the center section as expected. It ended up costing around $200 to buy the parts separately for the center section along with the trunk mounted holder. We will see how it works once the weather gets cool enough to use. Now I need to unload the soft OEM windblocker which came with the car...

Finally done with mods...

My Cars
    BMW Z4

roadster solutions

I installed the roadster solutions windblocker on my Z4 2 months ago. I love it. It was easy to install, took only 20 minutes as there instructions say. Has not been an issue with it, perfect, cuts down on in cabin wind almost completely. A lot better than the screen version in my opinion.
    Tony

[quote=mikemak;16299439]
    I just had the factory hard wind blocker installed today. While the part was a bit expensive at $441.00 with the BMW CCA Discount and installation at $90.00. I am extremely satisfied with the product.

does anyone know how the factory unit compares to the one from roadster solutions that goes for $215?

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Quote Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
    Mazda did it with no impact on trunk space with the MX-5 PRHT...
    But the Mazda's trunk is only 5.5 ft3. Without the top stowed in it, the BMW's is 11 ft3. The specs say that even with the top stowed, the trunk has 6 ft3, but the way those 6 feet are configured doesn't allow for golf clubs.

Plus, the Mazda is a smaller vehicle in every dimension and the front end isn't as long in relation to the rest of the vehicle, so with the smaller cockpit, the top components are smaller and more easily able to fit into a small compartment in front of the trunk. With the long front end of the Z4, that little compartment isn't a possibility. They'd have to pull the cockpit forward to make room for a feature like that.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 06-24-2009 at 05:26 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    06 M Roadster Red/Blk
    But the Mazda's trunk is only 5.5 ft3. Without the top stowed in it, the BMW's is 11 ft3. The specs say that even with the top stowed, the trunk has 6 ft3, but the way those 6 feet are configured doesn't allow for golf clubs.

Plus, the Mazda is a smaller vehicle in every dimension and the front end isn't as long in relation to the rest of the vehicle, so with the smaller cockpit, the top components are smaller and more easily able to fit into a small compartment in front of the trunk. With the long front end of the Z4, that little compartment isn't a possibility. They'd have to pull the cockpit forward to make room for a feature like that.
    Not in all dimensions. I just made a comparo on Carsdirect.com. The MX-5 has more legroom than the Z4. Headroom is less by 2". Shoulder room is identical. Thus the cockpit isn't necessarily smaller than the Z4. I would say they are pretty similar in volume based on the dimensions. The MX-5 trunk is smaller at 5.3ft3 vs 6.4ft3 for the new Z4(with the top up). The point is the MX-5 has the same sized trunk with either the PRHT or softtop(and top up or down). Of course we have no point of reference for the PRHT Z4 as there is no softtop version to compare it with. I would still say the MX-5 PRHT is a brilliant design which so far has not been duplicated at any price...

My Cars
    06 BMW Z4 3.0si

Great Pics put mine in today!

Thanks awesome pics really help me with the install. What a difference! I did not receive instructions for the trunk lid mount kit. Does anyone have a set in pdf?

Thanks again!
    Flarick
    06 Z4 3.0si Roadster, Grey Metallic, Dream Red, Steptronic, Prem, Sport, Nav.

My Cars
    Z4, XJC Jag, Rover75
    Just installed one myself, but at a cost of $900, here in Aus. I had to tell BMW what to do with it. Fortunetly, I was able to get my brother-in-law to purchase the items I need from Germany and send them over (Total cost ~A$230). All seems to work fine and I'm happy with deciding to go for the original item as opposed to after market bits of perspex and other make do devices.

Cheers;

My Cars
    2004 Z4
    I also have the Roadster Solutions lexan (?) wind blocker. I got it about a year ago. I love it, and have zero complaints. It looks great, was super easy to install (I was pretty OCD about getting everything straight and lined up exactly, and it still only took me ~30 minutes), and cuts down immensely on cabin noise and wind. The top can be raised and lowered with the blocker in place, and it has zero impact on visibility.

At just over $200, it's a comparative steal, and I think aesthetically it looks a lot better than the factory-available one.

My Cars
    06 Z4 3.0si
    Quote Originally Posted by PsyDocJoanne View Post
    I also have the Roadster Solutions lexan (?) wind blocker. I got it about a year ago. I love it, and have zero complaints. It looks great, was super easy to install (I was pretty OCD about getting everything straight and lined up exactly, and it still only took me ~30 minutes), and cuts down immensely on cabin noise and wind. The top can be raised and lowered with the blocker in place, and it has zero impact on visibility.

At just over $200, it's a comparative steal, and I think aesthetically it looks a lot better than the factory-available one.
    Build your own for under $40 and have custom OEM look
    See this thread http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1290732 post #9
    06 Z4 3.0si silver with autox experiences

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast