BAVToys

Thread: The offical DDM DJ Auto E39 "Hella Style" Headlight Thread.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528 SP

The offical DDM DJ Auto E39 "Hella Style" Headlight Thread.

I received my E39 DJ Auto headlights on 5/1/09 from DDM, thank you. I mentioned in another thread that overall, I'm pleased with the build and they appeared to be a plug and play set up (just need to do the angel eye Y connector mod http://www.bmwdiy.info/celis-front/index.html ).

I was planning to install the headlights with my new M5 DDM front bumper next weekend. Today I was putting on the summer tires when I decided to look at the turn indicator set up in my car to make sure this will all work. When I ordered the headlights, I ordered the wedge bulb, as was the OEM stock set up assuming this would plug into the headlight assembly. However, when the headlights came they were set up for a round bulb. Now I see the OEM BMW connecter can’t be used with the DJ Auto plug and the OEM BMW bulb holder fits in back of highlight assembly but does not lock in. Take a look at the pics below. Is there another OEM BMW bulb holder that resembles the DJ auto bulb holder? The DJ auto bulb holder is gray and the OEM BMW is black. The black bulb holder is out of my halogen 1998 528. What do you guys think here. My first route is to attempt to go to a plug and play route before cutting wires (which I’m not afraid to do).

Last edited by hagenmi1; 05-03-2009 at 06:31 PM.

My Cars
    2009 C350
    Did you test fit them? I'd love to see how they "fit" on the car. Also for your problem, I think you'll have to splice the new plug onto your existing harness.

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528 SP
    I think if I use the angel eye wire kit (I just ordered that) it fits the ends of the DJ Auto Gray bulb socket. If not, I just ordered this OEM socket just in case:

It's the socket used for the clear corner turn signal headlights 63-12-6-908-408. Anyhoo I should be covered. If not, then it's splice and dice time

I'll install the headlights sometime next week. First comes the M5 bumper install. Ill take pictures.

Anyone else notice that the DJ Auto headlight appears to have the input for the auto leveling system?
    Last edited by hagenmi1; 05-04-2009 at 07:55 PM.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Will these work for a 2001 + E39 with factory angel eyes? looking to update mine

Also, where did you buy them? and howmuch?

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528 SP

My Cars
    2014 435i, 2004 M3 vert
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...1226650&page=2

fitment pics, cut off pics, no install guide but if you dont want to spend money on connectors its very easy to cut and solder the connections, slim to no experience or research is necessary
    hi i'm nickmanderfield.com and i hang out on the internets,
    i also recently started to sell carbon fiber coasters.

My Cars
    e46 ///M, e30 ///M, e24
    Will the DJ Lens fit an OE Hella Bi-Xenon Headlight? My Hella's are still good but the plastic lens has a lot of scratches. I tried looking for the lens from Hella but to no avail.
    All inputs appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    BMW 528i

Plastic melting

Has anyone ever had a problem with the corner bulb socket melting? I have only had mine for about a week and my passenger side bulb went out already and when I took the light out took look and see why I realized the socket had melted and that is why the bulb broke. So i proceeded to take the other headlight out to find the drivers side had also melted but didn't break the bulb but it is melted bad enough that I can no longer ever get the bulb out.

It's the silver ring that looks like a metal piece but it is actually painted plastic.
    Last edited by matheney1983; 09-26-2009 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    OK. So on a 97' 540i.. heres the situation

I understand the connections for the High Beam & Signal, but what is the deal with the (auto leveling?) and 2 low beam plugs. If i remember correctly, dont i have one 1 per light? (high/low/signal)
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    1998 BMW E39
    Are these lights also allowed in Europe or only US specific?

My Cars
    1997 528i/5, 1997 528i/5
    Quote Originally Posted by PlanMeca View Post
    Are these lights also allowed in Europe or only US specific?
    They are euro-spec lights without orange reflectors. I don't know if DDM will ship internationally though....
    Wade

My Cars
    2001 E39 525il 5speed

where can i get dj autos for E39 in san diego ca? ddm is out of stock

I'm tryna find somewhere local where I cam get a set of the dj auto headlights for my 2001 525it touring. DDM is out of stock,I wanna get it local so if I have any problems I don't have to ship it off.

My Cars
    Formerly 03' 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Dking078 View Post
    OK. So on a 97' 540i.. heres the situation

I understand the connections for the High Beam & Signal, but what is the deal with the (auto leveling?) and 2 low beam plugs. If i remember correctly, dont i have one 1 per light? (high/low/signal)
    Revised Q.. Do these headlights come with low beam ballast?
    2003 BMW 540i [Sterling Gray / Gray]
    [Msport] [Mods from A-Z] [Two-Tone Interior]

Stuff For Sale :
    All types of E39 OEM Used HVAC Buttons
    Other E39 Parts, see my ebay! [Click]

My Cars
    98 528i
    My driver's side headlight is real jittery.... everytime I hit a bump it shakes.... People are getting blinded by it! LMAO!
    Anyone have any suggestions??

My Cars
    98 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by BORGERDING View Post
    My driver's side headlight is real jittery.... everytime I hit a bump it shakes.... People are getting blinded by it! LMAO!
    Anyone have any suggestions??

Anybody???

My Cars
    2015 X1 & 2000 M5
    Probably broken adjusters

My Cars
    2000 M5
    Will these DJ Auto headlamps work as a plug n play replacement for the 00 M5 OEM HID headlamps?

My Cars
    (Prd. 5/96) 528i.
    I know I'm bringing up an old thread. My HID low beam bulbs blew out so therefore I replaced them with a set of Kensun H7 HID bulbs. In conclusion everything worked except for the fitment. The plastic surround was too big to properly fit. Anyone here have a replacement source for these bulbs that will properly fit? Thanks.