Thread: Window Regulator Nylon slide (pic) how to install

My Cars
    98 323is fs, 02 325i

Window Regulator Nylon slide (pic) how to install

Pic A, is this how the retainer pin is supposed to look, or do you slide the pin to the left in this picture until the curved edge is flat against the regulator knob, and can't move any further....

Someone once told me to double click the regulator arm "ball" tip into the nylon slide, but mine only single clicks in there when I squeeze it together. I can slide the retainer pin from its original position though...

My Cars
    1995 325i
    I just took apart my window yesterday... while i'm not an expert, i was able to see how it was set when i took it apart and i was able to successfully put it back together...

The clip was set how yours is in Pic A... enough over to snap into place firmly, but can't really go any further without forcing it improperly. The loop at the end should be exposed for easy removal.

As far as the double click, i suppose you could call it a "double-click" but mine only had a weak click as i first set it into place followed by one really solid click.

My Cars
    e93 and e89
    The clip was set how yours is in Pic A... enough over to snap into place firmly, but can't really go any further without forcing it improperly. The loop at the end should be exposed for easy removal.
    [/QUOTE]

Make sure that when you align the new clip and the arm ball joint to use a "C" clamp to snap it into the clip and you hear a nice snap sound then slide the clip metal part in. Also it will be good that you can use some type of grease to have the clip slide smooth on the track

My Cars
    DE-spec E36 328i/M3 cab
    Correct, position A is the right position. Makes sense too as sliding it even more to the left would make it difficult to get the pin out. The way it is in A gives you plenty of space to get some pliers/screwdriver between the clip and slider.
    1998 BMW M3 3.2 Cabrio • Alpinweiί III on Schwarz • German spec • 1 of 12
    SMG • SRA • PDC • AUC • OBC • GSM • HK • UURS • IHKA • FGR • MFL

IG:
    https://www.instagram.com/iflok/

My Cars
    97 328IS
    yup suposed to look like A... they are kind of a bitch to get back in there from my experience... i hope thats not anti sieze in your track, you should clean that out good and put some fresh grease in there.

98 328IS
    DDM Tuning headlamps, 55w HID, 3k 35w HID Fogs, DDM M3 bumper, DDM splitters, smoked corners, Blackout Grills,
    17" ///M Parallel Wheels staggered, DDM Angel Eyes,
    Blackout Tails, M3 Exhaust

My Cars
    1995 325i
    what kind of grease do you use for these?

My Cars
    2016 340i
    When I did mine, I had a fit trying to slip the clips back into place. Instead, I installed the clips onto the slide, placed the slide on the track, then pushed the ball into the slide with the clip already in place. It snapped right in with some force. Easy to do.

My Cars
    98 323is fs, 02 325i
    I have used vise grips in the past, and it snaps in... I don't want to kill it with a c clamp and break the plastic...

white lithium grease... grease gun refill,

My Cars
    1996 328is

51 32 1 938 884

That ratty looking thingy in image C, that's the nylon Sliding Piece isn't it? 4 per window regulator? P/N 51 32 1 938 884?

I think I'll buy 8 in anticipation of doing a window mechanism refurb on my car someday.
    Prolly on the same day I do a latch and locking mechanism lube job.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 - Supercharged
    It's a simple job replacing those. It uses 2 per regulator, not 4. Use a screw driver and pull the lock pin out, pop regulator ball out of clip and slide clip off window guide in which it slides in. Slide new one in WITH the metal pin fully installed, Doesn't matter which way the lock pin points. Line up the regulator ball with the clip. Lube the end of the ball with some form of grease to make it easier and once lined, hold the outer edge of the windiw base with your fingers and use your palm to squeeze the regulator ball into the clip. It's very difficult and involves quite a bit of pressure to lock in, but you'll know when it does. The ball will move half way in and sometimes it may SEEM like it's locked because it'll lightly *click* into place, but unless it's fully seated and makes a loud hard *pop*. Then it'll be fully seated. Trust me, you'll know when it does.

I used this method to replace all 4 of mines(Coupe) and it only took around 30 minutes to do both doors pullimg the panels off and reinstalling. Any all purpose grease/lube will work. Preferabbly something that isn't "tacky".
    Last edited by Tchleung; 05-01-2009 at 05:14 PM.

My Cars
    98 323is fs, 02 325i
    that is the million dollar question, is the first pop I hear fully seated, or do I squeeze the schize out of it.

They are definatley in... I think my regulator must be bent to schize.... This is my third set and they all don't work well...

Just counting the days till this one breaks...so disappointing.
    Last edited by spugeddy; 05-02-2009 at 10:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 - Supercharged
    Well just try to pull on the regulator with a bit of force, if the regulator pops off the clip without too much problem then it wans't fully seated. When the ball is full in, the regualtor arms are only supposed to be around 1/8" away from that plastic clip max.

My Cars
    98 323is fs, 02 325i
    yep, mine is further away than that. I think my reg arm is bented toward the interior, and that is why it pops out so ofter and breaks the slides.

My Cars
    02 E46 M3 - Supercharged
    just sounds like you're not locking the ball into the slide clip. If it's halfway out then it will damage the clip if you use it like this and keep popping out. It would be pretty hard for the regulator to bend like that I would think. I have to get the window at just the perfect height and squeeze the regulator against the glass with both hands as hard as I can to lock it in.

My Cars
    98 323is fs, 02 325i
    I used vise grips and dialed it down so it had a lot of pressure when I squeezed it together. Confidence is low, repeat confidence is low...