Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My 540 'Build' Thread.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi

My 540 'Build' Thread.

(I will update as I go, so scroll through the thread to see everything)

I've owned my car for a little less than three years and have done a little modding in my ownership. I'm about 3/4 done and it's been a slow process because of being a typical broke college student, lol. I've never really posted many pics and have more or less lurked, but I've seen a couple build threads pop up recently so I decided hell, why not. Here's the current mod list of things on the car:

Drivetrain:
    Dinan CAI w/ K&N Filter
    Dinan Stage II Software
    Dinan Transmission Software
    Dinan Exhaust
    M60 Intake Manifold

Suspension:
    Bilstein PSS9 Coilovers
    Dinan Adjustable Rear Sway Bar
    AC Schnitzer Type III 2 Piece Wheels
    Pirelli PZero Nero M+S Tires
    F: 225/45 - 18x8.5 – 15mm spacer
    R: 245/40 - 18x9.5 – 12.5mm spacer
    ARP Stud conversion

Exterior:
    DDM M-Tech Front & Rear Bumper
    DDM Blackout Kidney Grills
    DDM Motorsport Side Moldings
    DDM Apexcone 35W 6000k HIDs
    Absent Front Splitter
    Active Autowerks Brake Duct Grill
    Hella '00 M5 Headlights
    Hella '00 M5 Taillights
    Hella Side Markers
    M5 Trunk Lip
    35% Tint
    Lamin-X 40mm on fogs
    Rolled Fenders

Audio:
    Polk DB521 speakers

Maintenance Repairs:
    ABS module rebuilt
    LF ABS Sensor
    Brake Light Switch
    LF Wheel Bearing (twice)
    Power Steering Hose
    Instrument Cluster (Pixel Repair)
    Ignition Switch
    o2 Sensors
    Spark Plugs
    Valley Pan
    Valve cover gaskets
    Intake Manifold Gaskets
    Oil Separator Valve
    Timing Chain Tensioner
    Motor Mounts
    SAP hose
    Fuel Filter
    EAC Control Arm Bushings

The stuff in boxes waiting to be installed:

Current plans:
    ABS heat shield
    Fix Shadowline trim
    polish lips/barrels of the ACS's
    polish exhaust

Dyno:
    259hp@4650RPM
    293lbs@4000RPM

Weight:
    3/4 tank of gas
    no driver
    3812lbs.
    cross weight 49.1% - 50.9%

~35psi all around
    coils: 3/4inch front, 1inch rear

Onto the pics!

Here's the car as I picked it up, completely stock.

After that, my first mod was new wheels. In retrospect it was stupid of me to get the ASA's, but I was new and wanted the best looking wheels for the cheapest price I could get.

Shortly after putting the wheels on, disaster struck. Some older asian lady cut infront of me and immediately slammed on the brakes trying to make a turn into a hair/nail salon Thankfully the cop understood and it was ruled as no-fault.

That accident was the catalyst that started the major modding plans. I decided that if everything needed replacing anyways, I might as well use the insurance money to get what I want. This included the OEM Mtech front, P39 headlights, all new cooling system, Dinan intake, and getting rid of the old rock chipped hood! At around the same time I bought Depo tails, hella sidemarkers, AA brake duct grill, and the front euro plate. Here's some of the new goodies:

The day it got back from the bodyshop:

Installing the Dinan intake, AA grill, and europlate. You can see I also did a home depot ram air for the dinan intake on the passenger side foglight cover. It's basically just the oem cover dremel'd out and screen placed in the void. I wanted the hamann covers but was too much $ at the time. Now Ken at exotics Tuning has released a more affordable version so I will be getting those ASAP.

It stayed like that for a little while until a few months ago I did a whole new round of mods. H&R Sport Springs, Bilstein Sport Shocks, OEM Hella clear tails, Blackout kidney grills, Dinan exhaust, M5 rear sway bar and a bunch of little maintenance items. That brings me to where the car sits today. These are crappy pics taken with a 3MP camera, but I did my best to touch them up. After I get some better wheels I'll get a proper photoshoot done. Also ignore the way the exhaust hangs, it needs a better metal hanger.

Right now I'm starting to collect things for my next rounds of mods. So far I've gotten the H&R race springs and the intake manifold, and the absent front lip and fog covers should be here soon. After this I'll be setting up a piggy bank for new wheels which will come as soon as I find a good deal on some kind of old school BBS/OZ/Hamann/ACS/etc.
    Last edited by Fiziks; 07-12-2011 at 01:45 PM.

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Cool.

Auto huh. I would have thought you had a 6 speed.

ENJOY IT AND YOUR MONEY HAS BEEN WELL SPENT ON HER! Looks really good!
    Last edited by JackEatsEmoKids; 04-28-2009 at 10:13 PM.
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by JackEatsEmoKids View Post
    Cool.

Auto huh. I would have thought you had a 6 speed.

ENJOY IT AND YOUR MONEY HAS BEEN WELL SPENT ON HER! Looks really good!
    At the time I bought it I had no intention on modding it. I wanted something good looking and somewhat quick, and the parents wanted something safe and roomy. If I had to do it all over again I would get a stick, but It's not a huge deal. Thanks tho!

My Cars
    '02 530i & '15 X1 35i
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiziks View Post
    At the time I bought it I had no intention on modding it. I wanted something good looking and somewhat quick, and the parents wanted something safe and roomy. If I had to do it all over again I would get a stick, but It's not a huge deal. Thanks tho!

Anytime!
    '02 E39 530i/5sp Topaz Blue/Black Interior - MegaSquirt3x - Garrett GTX3582R turbo - E85 fuel - Apex FL-5 - 265/295 tires - Custom Porsche Brembo BBK - 600whp @ 22 PSI
    '15 E84 X1 35i M Sport Alpine White/Coral Red Interior - H&R Sports & Bilstein B6 - Velgen VMB5 - 265/305 tires - ETS FMIC - MPI Charge pipe & DME Flash - 3.5" down pipe

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    love the transformation .. like me i did the depo headlights and tailights .. i finally upgraded to Hella Headlights and tailights .. i think will you be there in couple of years ...

btw, the second DEPO box .. how do you spell "experience" .. That box always makes me laugh ..

1998 540IA Arctic Silver, OEM M-Tech Bumpers, Koni FSD/Eibach Pro Kit, MKII Motorsport 18x8.5 and 18x10, M5 Style Mirrors, ACS Style Trunk and Roof Spoiler, OEM Hella Xenon Headlights 4300k blubs, Slim HID 3K Projector Fogs, Euro Hella Celis Taillights, OEM M5 Kidney Grill, 35% tint, magnaflow 18415

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    OMG!!!!!!!!!!!

Multiple pics of Fiz's car in the same thread in the same year!?!?!?!!?

Looks awesome. Love that color.
    Color matched grill is unique as well.
    Tastefully done.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Color matched grill is unique as well.
    It's actually flat black, god that camera is horrible

Thanks for the comments

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy

Thumbs up

It's actually flat black, god that camera is horrible

Thanks for the comments

No kiddin!?
    Well, still looks good.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -

My Cars
    E46+E36 M3
    Always wondered what your car looked like! Looks really good, really like the color! Nice mod list.
    AW|Byzanz

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i, 1941 Ford
    I love seeing transformations like this, great color, M5 bumper ftw!

When ya gonna drop it? Stance will be nice for sure!

My Cars
    99 540i/6speed
    love the night and day transformation!!!!!!! It's amazing how a set of rims, headlights and a nice M front bumper can change it from a grandma cruiser to a hot rod.

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Thanks everyone! The new springs should be on in another month or so, I 2 more weeks of school then finals

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    looks nice!...

what does your license plate mean? 20 till 6? i usually try to figure out peoples plates in their meaning and just curious

and you will have to let everyone know about the intake manifold and how much of a difference ya feel... probably need a software update though to get the most benefit

but anyways nice looking car... everything you have done i am on my way to the same mods... except rims

looks about 5000 times better than before... even though it was a nice daily driver before hand

makes me want to get blindsided and hit in the front to get a sexy new front end... even though i really just need the bumper
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    I've posted over 10,000 times in a little over 2 years and this is the 1st time that I have seen Fiz with a new sig.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Cereal View Post
    looks nice!...

what does your license plate mean? 20 till 6? i usually try to figure out peoples plates in their meaning and just curious

and you will have to let everyone know about the intake manifold and how much of a difference ya feel... probably need a software update though to get the most benefit

but anyways nice looking car... everything you have done i am on my way to the same mods... except rims

looks about 5000 times better than before... even though it was a nice daily driver before hand

makes me want to get blindsided and hit in the front to get a sexy new front end... even though i really just need the bumper
    Plate means 540, think of a clock

Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    I've posted over 10,000 times in a little over 2 years and this is the 1st time that I have seen Fiz with a new sig.

My Cars
    00 M5 / 99 540i
    hah got it now... duh

lol thats kinda clever especially if car is all debaged and what not which it appears to be
    2000 Silverstone/Silverstone M5 1/34

My Cars
    2014 435i, 2004 M3 vert
    tomorrow im goign to the DMV and stealing your plate idea
    hi i'm nickmanderfield.com and i hang out on the internets,
    i also recently started to sell carbon fiber coasters.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    The infamous Fiziks 540. I've only heard of such stories but have never seen different angles of it posted on one thread. Looks good though, I wanna see the difference with the race springs bc it could definitely go lower. Thumbs up.

I just realized I've only posted pictures of my car on here 1 or 2 times. So you're not the only creepy lurker around here

ganesht is offline (oOO)\(lll)°(lll)/(OOo) BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    98 528i 5 speed
    78.3% hot damn!

nice job so far =)
    Alida:
    Born: Friday, 9th January 1998
    Arktissilber Metallic on Schwarz 528i/5

Claudia:
    Born: Friday, 2nd May 2003
    Sterlinggrau Metallic on Schwarz 540i/6

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by VaE39 View Post
    The infamous Fiziks 540. I've only heard of such stories but have never seen different angles of it posted on one thread. Looks good though, I wanna see the difference with the race springs bc it could definitely go lower. Thumbs up.

I just realized I've only posted pictures of my car on here 1 or 2 times. So you're not the only creepy lurker around here
    You really need to come out to a meet sometime or something

My Cars
    '97 540I 6 spd. Green on green
    What year is your 540? Is it pre Vanos? And what year is the intake manifold from?
    "All my life, I have searched for a car that feels a certain way....Powerful like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a Nerf ball. Now, at last, I have found it." -- Homer Simpson

"Gulp! How much is this monstrosity? Eighty thousand dollars?!? I'm ruined!" -- Herb Powell, former President and CEO, Powell Motors Corp.

My Cars
    None
    Cool looking car and a nice list of mods. May i know why you don't like your wheels? I'm a noob on wheels, manufacturers and their metallurgy but I feel the wheels look good on your car.

Also, I can safely post in your threads now that your brute is gone Liked your old sig much better
    “Who really can face the future? All you can do is project from the past, even when the past shows that such projections are often wrong. And who really can forget the past? What else is there to know?”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My Cars
    '98 E36 M3 / '88 VW GTi
    Quote Originally Posted by Philboski View Post
    What year is your 540? Is it pre Vanos? And what year is the intake manifold from?
    1999 vanos, not sure of the year the manifold came off of but it is a prevanos.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLupin View Post
    Cool looking car and a nice list of mods. May i know why you don't like your wheels? I'm a noob on wheels, manufacturers and their metallurgy but I feel the wheels look good on your car.
    ASA's are essentially knockoffs of BBS, even tho they are liscenced by BBS. It's just time for a set of 'real' wheels with hopefully some sort of stepped lip.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    You really need to come out to a meet sometime or something
    I know I really do, but I've been in Richmond for the past 4 years for school and I only go to the beach for random weekends.

My Cars
    07/85-535i5 01/99-540i6
    looks hawt meng needs wheels and spacers ASAP
    (oOO\(|||)(|||)/OOo) /00=[][]=00\

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast