Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Journal: M54 Head Gasket Replacement & Other Stuff Too

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    Wow. I am getting so excited to put this thing back in.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    Blown 530
    She's getting real close.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Spent yesterday morning putting the oil filter housing on with the new style tensioner. The afternoon was dedicated to the very happening Maryland Octoberfest http://www.dasbestoktoberfest.com/maryland/show-info Lots of girls in traditional outfits (ahem... very...), beer and good times. The event was sold out again!

Quick Tip. The oil filter housing bolts are different lengths. Getting them out of order will give you a headache when trying to figure out where they go back. Number them with a Whiteout pen (available at Staples), or take a piece of cardboard; punch some holes in it, with the same pattern as the bolts holes to secure the bolts. Torque to 14 ft-lbs in a star pattern.

Old tensioner. There was a large difference in tension, between the new and old styles. Maybe the old one was just old and worn out.

The tensioners mount to different holes. Here is the old mounting position. (new base tensioner shown)

The new on has three mounting spots, compared with two on the original.

Ahhh the beer festival rocked. There's actually a whole week program happening all around the city. http://www.bbweek.com/ Small shot of one of the outdoor spots.
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 10-10-2010 at 04:07 PM.

My Cars
    M3, 540I, M5
    Wow good luck! First time i saw this post. I cant wait to see your car finished!
    2006 e60 M5 Dinan S2
    2001 M5 Carbon Black Dinan Stage 3 - Sold
    2003 M-Tech 540i - sold
    1995 /// M3 Alpine White - sold

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Thanks man!

Having trouble downloading pics from the old camera. Might be time to replace the 11 year old digital camera.

Installed the Zionsville lower temp t-stat. http://www.zionsvilleautosport.com/s...de/M54CTPK.htm

Replacement t-stat BMW part #11537511083 (t-stat ONLY, not the housing & adapter)

The bracket to remove the engine will need to be slightly "re-bent" by 1-2MM, to fit around the new t-stat.

Covers, headers, and misc. stuff added

If the studs come out during exhaust manifold removal, just put them back in finger tight. The copper bolts are a ONE time use, and use copper anti-seize http://www.summitracing.com/parts/LCT-37616/[/url] on the stud threads. By the way those are the real deal SuperSprint http://www.bmpdesign.com/ headers, coated in a a tough as nails Jet-Hot 2000 http://www.jet-hot.com/headercoatings.html . Cheaper coatings have been known to flake. These have been coated for over 2 years.
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 10-10-2010 at 04:37 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Damper install done.

The install shaft (left black), with the BMW adapter (right, light grey)

Install hub

Installed with the A/C hub. No need to remove it for the install. OK, OK I did put some thick double sided tape on the hub to keep it from scratching (is that prissy?)

The the damper is lubricated with high temp, anti-seize lubricant, and the fit is so tight there are audible light snaps as the damper goes into place. No much muscle is needed. Just a bit of luck lining up the crank woodruff key.

Quick Tip: If the ATI install shaft adapter gets stuck in the crank snout, just add some Loctite Blue, medium strength, to the adapter threads. Reattach the stock shaft to the adapter. Let sit for a few hours, and it should come out of the crack snout just fine.

The crank bolt is tightened to 300 ft-lbs. The massive torque wrench can be rented relatively cheaply at http://jmtest.com/pages/productdetail.asp?ID=222 Best to call directly during normal hours.

This torque wrench is huge, and with that much leverage it didn't take much muscle to reach 300 ft-lbs.

The rental had a 3/4 inch drive. Trying to find a 22MM 3/4 inch drive socket is very hard to find locally. Fortunately 7/8" is pretty damn close to 22MM, and can be found at the local Sears.

Locked the flywheel with this tool from Summit.com

Last edited by Jackcat559; 10-22-2010 at 05:19 PM.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    I <3 this thread.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    hey what was your snout diameter is it the outer diameter of the silver part on the stock dampener...

My Cars
    Blown 530
    I can't find the measurement off my snout. You'll need to remove the damper from the crank, to take the measure measurement off the end of the crank. They all seem to vary a bit. My number was different from what some others had gotten. The measurement is in inches, and goes to four places past the decimal point ( ex. 1.XXXX )

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Borrowed an engine hoist from a neighbor to put the engine back in today. It went fairly easily, and took little over an hour.

With an auto trans there is a cover plate. Attach this to the trans first, with the locater bolt that mounts by the exhaust manifold, before installing the motor. Try to line up the torque converter and flywheel mounting points together at the starter location. This will allow you to install the mounting bolts in a better location compared to the original BMW spot (under the exhaust manifold).

Took a little wiggling to line up the the engine to the transmission. Yep, the trans was left in place. There is enough space with the radiator removed to easily remove/install the motor without pulling the trans.

In with new motor mounts. Also the a/c, exhaust and starter hooked up.
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 10-23-2010 at 03:38 PM.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Little more engine assembly done today. It's actually easier to leave the power steering reservoir & alternator off when putting the intake manifold on. Leaving them off allows for better access to the electrical and oil separator hook ups.

Got the belts, supercharger, and radiator in today

Last edited by Jackcat559; 10-31-2010 at 05:59 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Looks good, why did I think you were turboing this before? :gotme:
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Thanks! The way it's built, it could easily take a turbo, but I'm not really a turbo kinda guy. Maybe next time.

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    I am so excited for you Rich! My house better be your first stop on the tour.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Quote Originally Posted by BaltimoreBimmer View Post
    I am so excited for you Rich! My house better be your first stop on the tour.
    You're top on the list. Especially after I saw that TV in the garage

Did some minor stuff today. Put new gas in the tank, power steering fluid, oil (not my usual brew), and summoned up all my inner redneckness to add trans fluid in a ridiculous manner.

Fixed and altered Vince's old fan shroud (another story), to fit the S/C setup. A new one is about $50, but I'm really trying to work in a Zionsville kit if the motor actually runs.

About 1/2 quart came out during the trans cooling line removal. This method actually worked for getting oil back in the system. Even if it is a little silly. Note: This was actually a waste of time. When I followed the Bentley manual for checking the trans fluid, I actually ended up adding approximately 2 quarts of fluid.

Before reconnecting the cooling lines back into the coil, by the radiator, I fitted a small hose to the line to add the fluid. Hey it worked. I'll test the level as normal once the trans is up to temp.

I have run Amsoil synthetic for 4+ years. This is just a temporary switch for the break in. Read more here: http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 11-25-2010 at 09:40 AM.

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    Well. Did you crank it over yet?
    Come over this SUnday @ 1 for the game. Should be a good crowd as usual. The 100in in the garage is pretty sick.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    Blown 530
    I'm close, and hopefully will have her up and running Sat or Sun. Stiil have to install the rad shroud and coolant, check the rear O2's, put the wheels on, find and problems, and charge the battery

My Cars
    E91, E39, 997 911
    If you are off any days during the week let me know.
    2007 Carerra S
    2009 E91
    1990 Toyo PU - POS
    2000 E39/5
    1976 911

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Will do. It's looking slow this week. Elections always slow the restaurant, and satellite business's, down for a bit. Everyone waits to see how things turn out before they spend money. Like they aren't going to eat and drink no matter who gets elected.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackcat559
    About 1/2 quart came out during the trans cooling line removal. This method actauly worked for getting oil back in the system. Even if it is a little silly.

Before reconnecting the cooling lines back into the coil, by the radiator, I fitted a small hose to the line to add the fluid. Hey it worked. I'll test the level as normal once the trans is up to temp.
    I likes!

I think that is how to flush the whole transmission, if you had the drain plug open, and continuously feeding in new ATF.

What power-steering fluid (ATF dexron3) did you use?

I can't wait to see the car run!

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    '17 Durango, '10 Panny
    Jack...if you need a shroud...I have a like new one sitting around...since I've converted to electric..its just sitting. , I could even be bribed to drive it down to B-more if/when the car is finished.
    BMWCCA #389756
    e39 Touring SOLD.

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Jason, it's been on the shelf so long I can't remember the specs. I just remember, it was matched it up for the trans ,and power steering when it was purchased.

oekundar Thanks for the offer. I'd be interested in seeing the electric fan hookup first hand one day.

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Jackcat--I have been on pins and needles all dang week--is it soup yet? I gots to
    know--hows the new engine working out?

My Cars
    Blown 530
    Little too busy yesterday to post.

Hooked up the battery from a few days of being on the charger. I finally bit the bullet and got a Battery Tender last weekend.

Checked over everything, with the car still on jack stands. Went to turn the key....

Click, click, click.....

Found a new display on the guage cluster......

"ENGINE FAILSAFE MODE"

Pulled 20+ codes all relating to the electrical harness. I though those connections in the electrical box to the ECU seamed not right when I connected them. Reseated the two connectors. Bleed the air out of the fuel rail Schedar valve... KA-CHOW... SHE TURNED OVER!

No leaks, no fires. Checked and filled the auto trans fluid. Which is very fun with the engine running.

That was the third start. The motor eventually smoothed out after a few minutes.

Picked up my buddy Jim from down the street. Put the hood back on, and went for a spin to the local BBQ stand. On the way we broke in the motor http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm In doing this we maxed out 4th gear at 115MPH, which was pretty much top end in 5th before (note: 4.10 LSD in the rear, 3.64 is OE). Strange?

Off to the muffler shop next
    Last edited by Jackcat559; 11-14-2010 at 05:13 PM.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Awesome!
    Man, I love the sound of your car!

What's the plan at the muffler shop?!?

3:46 is the OEM diff. for the auto.
    That is what I have in my car.

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617181920 LastLast