Thread: Hood Won't Open

My Cars
    1999 328is & 1997 328is

Angry Hood Won't Open

So i have done some work and been in and out from under the hood and now i can't pop my hood open agan how do i get the hood open with out damage???
    99 328is daily 97 328is Track Baby

My Cars
    '92 325is, '11 128i
    You can unscrew the hood latch with a 10mm key I think. It just takes a lot of patience. That's what I had to do when I got it stuck closed when I replace the hood cable. You risk damaging the paint, put some cloth over the area where you work to protect it. You can also remove the kidney and yank on the cable with longnose pliers, but that will only pop the passenger side of the hood, but that will give you a few more mm to work on the other side.
    Last edited by tritonx; 04-24-2009 at 08:54 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328is & 1997 328is
    Thanks I will do that this weekend do i need to just order the cable or latches too??

Quote Originally Posted by tritonx View Post
    You can unscrew the hood latch with a 10mm key I think. It just takes a lot of patience. That's what I had to do when I got it stuck closed when I replace the hood cable. You risk damaging the paint, put some cloth over the area where you work to protect it. You can also remove the kidney and yank on the cable with longnose pliers, but that will only pop the passenger side of the hood, but that will give you a few more mm to work on the other side.

My Cars
    '92 325is, '11 128i
    I dunno, depends what is the problem. When you pull the cable from the cabin does it seems broken? Once you finally get the thing open, you can see if the locking mechanism still works properly. Remove the driver side headlight, it will give you easier access. The lock should move when you pull the cable by hand. Surprisingly the locking latches(#10 in the picture) weren't very expensive at the dealer, less than 30$, I was lucky they had one in stock when I needed it, I was just one day with a pair of vise-grip in the hood. You can remove it and see if it is moving easily, just be careful not to break it like I did.

Last edited by tritonx; 04-24-2009 at 09:15 AM.

My Cars
    1999 328is & 1997 328is
    when i pull the cable it feels like its pulling but i think the cable may be streched, i'm gunna work on it tonight thanks for the input TritonX

My Cars
    1992 325i, 2008 Fit
    Have another person pull up on the front of the hood while you pull the latch, might not be aligned properly. My hood does the same thing and I can usually get it to pop like that or smacking the back of the hood while I pull the lever.
    1992 BMW 325i 5 spd - S52

My Cars
    1999 328is & 1997 328is
    i will try that too, i have had the car for 4 years now this is the first time this has happend

Quote Originally Posted by wil524 View Post
    Have another person pull up on the front of the hood while you pull the latch, might not be aligned properly. My hood does the same thing and I can usually get it to pop like that or smacking the back of the hood while I pull the lever.