Thread: how do you deal with trunk vibration?

My Cars
    2003 M5

how do you deal with trunk vibration?

when i turn my music volume up (w/ sub), the trunk vibrates like crazy. it sounds pretty bad from the otside. inside, my rear deck vibrates too, especially on low frequency. i dont recall rading anyone fixing this.

My Cars
    2005 525i/6
    Dynamat works wonders....

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Try turning it down a little.
    Just because the volume goes to "eleven" doesn't mean you have to crank it up that high.

My Cars
    '12 335i vert premium
    I don't know if your plate rattles but if it does get some rubber grommets to put in between the plate/holder and the car. A little bump from the trunk is ok but a rattly plate tells the world "Look at me, I'm an idiot" Just my opinion, of course. Dynamat works wonders +1

Current BMW: '12 Alpinweiss 335i vert premium.

Previous BMW's include:
    '94 Arctic Grey 325i sport
    '03 Sapphire Black 525i premium
    '08 335i Arctic Metallic sport/premium

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Get a proper box that doesnt make the trunk rattle. My system sets off car alarms and shakes your innards but does not make any part of the car rattle. All bass should be clean. Even with dynamat, you will still get rattles.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    2003 M5
    ok here's what i did. I opened the trunk lid, and started tapping it hard from the top while open. That duplicated all the vibrations. The license plate does NOT vibrate. it is the carpeted thing on the inside of the trunk that rattles. it holds the tools kit and there is also a black plastic cover that has a handle in it. It vibrates against the inside of the lid. I went to home depo and bought the soft foamy window weather insulation. 1 1/4" wide and the thickest one i could find. it has a sticky back. so i applied strips of this foam at the places where the carpeted linear would make contact with the inside of the trunk lid. I also noticed there were a lot of cables/wires running there, so I isolated them too. 3 of the retaining clips broke off while i was removing this thing, so i just went to the stealer and got some new ones. I will put them later on. now the rattle is less. rattles only when stereo is lauder and under very low and continuous base.

so then i noticed that if i close the lid, and place a thick cloth at the end of the lid where it makes contact with the rubber seal on the trunk (on the side of the rear window), the rattle pretty much goes away. the cloth seems to absorb the vibartion of the trunk. so my next step would be to apply weather foam there, which will be compressed very well against the rubber seal when the lid is closed, thus absorbing the vibrations of the trunk. i hope it will work. Dynamat is kinda expensive, and i am not sure if it will work. i am just not sure how will it stop this plastics not to vibrate with each other?

as for my rear deck vibrating, when i cut out the 3" holes in the rear deck, i noticed there was a lot of empty space at the corners of the deck below the deck cover. right below the vents (what are these vents for anyway???) so I will insert several inches of foam in there, from below the deck cover, which will press it up a little, hoping it will absorb the vibrations of the cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Get a proper box that doesnt make the trunk rattle. My system sets off car alarms and shakes your innards but does not make any part of the car rattle. All bass should be clean. Even with dynamat, you will still get rattles.

just out of curiosity, what box/sub/amp do you use that does not make your trunk vibrate?

+ 1 that all bass should be clean. I am with you all the way here.
    Last edited by MA3HOK; 04-20-2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Clean bass is a must. I have had a rattle back in the deck, and when I took apart my car to do suspension work a couple nuts fell out. I was like, WTF. They were two of the 4 nuts that bolt my rear deck sunshade on. Back on now. No rattle.

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    My trunk rattles so bad that I lost a license plate light Now it just bounces around in the body of the trunk making the rattle worse

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    dynamat and proper porting helps alot... dynamat the back of the plate and put foam if its secure to jsut two points... chaech the fuse are a too

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Dynamat does work wonders. Xtreme + Dynaliner rocks my 4runner. Sounds like a car inside now.

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Dynamat the hell out of the rear of the car and the license plate.
    Even the cleanest bass will vibrate everything and anything that has the same resonance frequency as the bass note.

I had to do this to the rear of my wagon. Helped a whole helluva lot
    Garrett

My Cars
    2003 M5
    OK. Lets say one decides to Dynamat the trunk of a e39 sedan. How many sq ft would be needed? and there are other brands on ebay...are they knock offs or just as good?

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by MA3HOK View Post
    OK. Lets say one decides to Dynamat the trunk of a e39 sedan. How many sq ft would be needed? and there are other brands on ebay...are they knock offs or just as good?
    I was gonna say, there are similar products to dynamat available for less, that many say perform better.

Dynamat all the sheet metal in the trunk, and anchor/brace any loose parts. For example, in the touring, there is a plastic fuse box located right behind the subwoofer. I braced this w/ some foam so it can't rattle.
    Garrett

My Cars
    92 Legend Coupe; 00 BMW E39; 95 Mercedes W140
    Quote Originally Posted by MA3HOK View Post
    when i turn my music volume up (w/ sub), the trunk vibrates like crazy. it sounds pretty bad from the otside. inside, my rear deck vibrates too, especially on low frequency. i dont recall rading anyone fixing this.
    is it a bandpass box? i have the same problem also... its cuz the trunks on our cars are air tight... quick temporary fix: open the ski pass, if you have one, so the air generated has some place to go... i wish i had a ski pass...

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by javaco888 View Post
    is it a bandpass box? i have the same problem also... its cuz the trunks on our cars are air tight... quick temporary fix: open the ski pass, if you have one, so the air generated has some place to go... i wish i had a ski pass...
    No and No. i dont have a ski pass so that doesnt help. I have a sealed box with a 12" sony sub (i know, cheap shit but still works). Any how, i installed the clips I mentioned several posts ago, and lined that weather insulation all around the trunk and....daaamn waht a difference. seriously. the rattle is reduced by at least 80-90%. total cost was about $15 spent at Home depo.
    I also got some foam which i will put under the deck which will make it not rattle inside the car...
    I am not sure what the effect of the Dynamat thing will be, but there's no way to compare. I just know what my trunk was like before and after i did all that insulating. and so far i am happy with it. lets see how long it will last.

My Cars
    2000 540ia
    a little off subject but what do i do if i dont have the ski pass.... i dont have one and i can barely hear my subs at all, im willing to make a ski pass if i have to, im a big fan of having bump in the trunk.

My Cars
    530i, 325es
    use a sawzall and a dremel and some weather stripping to hide all the edges and you can cut your own...

My Cars
    2003 M5
    +1. thing is that you can also buy the ski bag that mounts there, right? and you can have the whole thing retrofitted. i remember seeing a thread about it some time ago. i am just like you, without a ski pass, and my base is kinda loud in there. my sub is not even turned all the way up.

My Cars
    1997 528i
    Do you have all four license plate screws in?

My Cars
    02 540iT 03 530i
    Get her a health club membership

My Cars
    92 Legend Coupe; 00 BMW E39; 95 Mercedes W140
    Quote Originally Posted by quacktoduck View Post
    use a sawzall and a dremel and some weather stripping to hide all the edges and you can cut your own...
    +1.... saleppo, if you're lucky, u might have a ski pass already precut and just needs to be kicked out.... my friend's e34 was like that...

My Cars
    2000 540ia
    hey everyone, lucky for me the foam was already pre cut like javaco said, the metal behind it however needs to be cut, before i follow through with this are we sure this will help? i recently cut a hole 4 inches in diameter through the metal to see if it would make any differance and it did not make much a differance. has anybody on here done this to their car? does it make much a differance? thanks