Thread: e39 interior trim paint / refinish

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe

e39 interior trim paint / refinish

Okay so i just got my car a couple weeks ago and it came with dove grey interior with the wood trim. Well I honestly wanted black but the dove started to grow on me apart from the wood. So i decided to refinish it in as close as i could get to bmw piano black. Heres the pics, If anyone has any questions about doing it i can answer them but sadly all the diy pics i took somehow got deleted .

Figured i would throw this up so when people use the search function to do this they will get more hits.

-Jason

My Cars
    02 e39 5spd
    Not bad. Still sad you sold that e36 though..

but atleast you have a clean 540 to work with!

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    Not bad. Still sad you sold that e36 though..

but atleast you have a clean 540 to work with!
    Yea i know sometimes i miss it but it was definatly time for it to go. Hopefully youll grow to like this and when im done with this (sometime at the end of summer) im going to pickup a cheap project e36 that you can definatly expect big things from.

My Cars
    99 Dinan 540
    looks sharp. doing things like these to our cars makes us respect them even more!
    1999 540i | Dinan 5 | SuperSprint Exhaust | Sports Package

My Cars
    1998 BMW 528i, 1941 Ford
    Good job, what kind of paint did you use?

Are you going to wet sand a buff, I can see some orange peel there but probably looks better in person!

I remember using Hard Hat (rustoleum) and it lays down real flat and glossy, I
    used it on metal though.

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    looks sharp. doing things like these to our cars makes us respect them even more!
    Yea, i love doing the cheap diy stuff i think its always better then the expensive.

Good job, what kind of paint did you use?

Are you going to wet sand a buff, I can see some orange peel there but probably looks better in person!

I remember using Hard Hat (rustoleum) and it lays down real flat and glossy, I
    used it on metal though.
    I thought about rustoleum but i was worried about the heat from the sun and wear and tare so i used duplicolor gloss black interior paint with (i forget the brand but i can post it 2moro) automotive clearcoat. It probably could be wet sanded a little but in person it looks good as is. At this point i just hadta get it in because i hate driving the car without trim and the weather is soo unpredictable that doing the added couple steps is hard with the lack of time between sun and rain. What i did was sand them down gloss black them and then let that dry lightly 1000 grit sanded that then gloss blacked it again. That always left no orange peel. Then i would do a layer of clear wet sand it and do a final layer of clear and thats when the orange peel happned (both layers of clear). In person its not noticeable but eventually ill fix it because little things drive me crazy.

My Cars
    05 Audi A4
    looks good

My Cars
    2001 530iA Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by E39K3V View Post
    looks good
    Is that your car in your sig??

My Cars
    2003 Subaru WRX
    Wish I had been in the market for an E36 when your car was selling

Looks clean! Glad to see your enjoying the E39! You rolling to bimmerfest?

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    Wish I had been in the market for an E36 when your car was selling

Looks clean! Glad to see your enjoying the E39! You rolling to bimmerfest?
    Thanks allot Im definatly liking it. As of right now bimmerfest doesnt look hopeful for this year but im definatly planning on it for next year and hopefully bring this in its finished state and the e36 project car im picking up which im hoping will be done. But next year ill definatly bring atleast one i just have to either see how much it would be to transport them both or see if my girlfriend is up to driving for three days .

My Cars
    02 m5, cbr 929rr
    well done j-

My Cars
    E46+E36 M3
    Came out really nice. Nice job
    AW|Byzanz

My Cars
    BMW 540, 530 :)
    I have to go against the grain here. I thinks it looks bad. Unless it's the pics or something. It looks spray painted, has orange peel and in no way does it look like a "piano" finish.
    First rule of politics - the voters don't decide the election, the counters do.

The appearance of the Law must be upheld, Especially when it's being broken.

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    well done j-
    Thanks allot

Came out really nice. Nice job
    Thanks

I have to go against the grain here. I thinks it looks bad. Unless it's the pics or something. It looks spray painted, has orange peel and in no way does it look like a "piano" finish.
    Thats fine your entitled to your own opinion But in person it looks 100000x better you cant even tell theres orange peel unless you get right ontop of it. The camera picked allot of it up i think becase of the lighting and it being a point n shoot. This still bothers me so once its going to be nice for a couple days in a row that im not busy im going to get rid of all the orange peel (its just hard with the very unpredictable weather of this season im sure you can understand being the neighboring state). I figure ill throw maybee two more clear coats on and wet sand it and it should be good then which i will update in this thread. I just wanted to show an example and origionally wanted to show a full how to but now itll just be the final steps for anyone in the future that is searching. And when im all finished ill get my friend to take some pictures good with a dslr.

Yea the closer i look at the pics it doesnt do it justice at all, in person it looks almost like a black mirror something comparable to black car paint except with the orange peel making it slightly dull If that gives you a better mental picture.
    Last edited by jhstealth; 04-17-2009 at 06:38 PM.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by jhstealth View Post
    Thanks allot

Thanks

Thats fine your entitled to your own opinion But in person it looks 100000x better you cant even tell theres orange peel unless you get right ontop of it. The camera picked allot of it up i think becase of the lighting and it being a point n shoot. This still bothers me so once its going to be nice for a couple days in a row that im not busy im going to get rid of all the orange peel (its just hard with the very unpredictable weather of this season im sure you can understand being the neighboring state). I figure ill throw maybee two more clear coats on and wet sand it and it should be good then which i will update in this thread. I just wanted to show an example and origionally wanted to show a full how to but now itll just be the final steps for anyone in the future that is searching. And when im all finished ill get my friend to take some pictures good with a dslr.

Hey thanks for not taking it personally. I thought about doing piano black trim myself actually. A little more finishing work and it'll look very nice.

The camera has a funny way of picking up what things really look like versus what we think they look like. Kinda like people seeing pictures of themselves and being shocked how fat they look. This despite the fact they see themselves in the mirror everyday, lol.

My Cars
    99 740i,535xi,z4 mcoupe
    Hey thanks for not taking it personally. I thought about doing piano black trim myself actually. A little more finishing work and it'll look very nice.

The camera has a funny way of picking up what things really look like versus what we think they look like. Kinda like people seeing pictures of themselves and being shocked how fat they look. This despite the fact they see themselves in the mirror everyday, lol.
    Haha definatly especially point n shoots. I was going to just wait until i could totally finish it in a couple days but i got borred the other day and it kept me busy and also i badly wanted to get the wood out of there because the wood and the grey interior were two things that in my opinion i didnt want but now with the black i love the grey interior and im sorta happy i got it instead of black. Ill definatly keep you updated.

My Cars
    Thanks dude