Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mason Engineering Rigid Front Strut Bar Install...

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5

Mason Engineering Rigid Front Strut Bar Install...

Posted this on the Fest and figured I would post here as well for those interested.

Got a nice addition to the suspension mods the other day from the Brown Truck. To compliment all of the new components up front, as well as the rear, the Mason Engineering front strut bar sealed the deal (2.5 pounds for those interested in the weight). The car is very tight and vault like. I get more feedback from the suspension as it is allowed to do more of it's job instead of the body flexing for absorption. I have not really had a chance to wind out the car through the turns yet, so I will update my thoughts when I get the chance.

That said, the car is so razor sharp it is amazing and I could feel the stiffness difference just entering and exiting my steep driveway as it hits the street. The car usually flexes a good bit in that transition, not so anymore. The faster I drive, the more it seems to come together better as one suspension system.

Here are the pics...Mason Engineering Rigid Front Strut Bar Pictures - Aluminum

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Me likes!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 Topaz Blue 540i
    I know function over form, but IMO the weld job on that bar could be so much cleaner. I have a bar in my ride too, and it does help tighten up the front end in turns.

Also I have to ask, is that bar sitting directly on your paint?? It made my skin crawl looking at that....

My Cars
    None
    very nice Michel ... how difficult was the install? did you diy? the site this feature is only for v6s .. goody. Any reason why you chose Aluminum over Steel (other that weight)?
    “Who really can face the future? All you can do is project from the past, even when the past shows that such projections are often wrong. And who really can forget the past? What else is there to know?”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    I know function over form, but IMO the weld job on that bar could be so much cleaner. I have a bar in my ride too, and it does help tighten up the front end in turns.

Also I have to ask, is that bar sitting directly on your paint?? It made my skin crawl looking at that....
    I can't disagree with you on that one. Some will like it, some will not. I like the industrial look and the non-perfect welds remind me that it was custom made by a human and not machine. I am all about function first, then aesthetics in most cases; achieving both is the ultimate goal.

If you look closely in the pictures, the bar has lowered points that actually fit in the same area that the oem 13mm torque down on - they are also directly on the paint. So, no different than the stock interface.

Quote Originally Posted by RJLupin View Post
    very nice Michel ... how difficult was the install? did you diy? the site this feature is only for v6s .. goody. Any reason why you chose Aluminum over Steel (other that weight)?
    Thanks!

Just had to do a little filing to get it to fit perfect and I did the install myself (not much to it). The fit is very, very tight and is exactly what you want in a strut bar. A hinged bar is a waste of money and there are plenty out there to choose from.

Yes, I wanted the weight savings and is worth the extra $50. I had one similar to this on my M3, as well as one for the rear and that car was like a solid piece of steel - at least enough for the street.
    Last edited by mmm635; 04-10-2009 at 11:55 AM.

My Cars
    2003 Topaz Blue 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by mmm635 View Post
    If you look closely in the pictures, the bar has lowered points that actually fit in the same area that the oem 13mm torque down on - they are also directly on the paint. So, no different than the stock interface.
    My bar mounts the same way. I was referring to the pics of the bar sitting directly on your hood.

A tip for installing a strut bar; sometimes jacking up one side of the car a tiny bit will line things up a little easier.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by RJLupin View Post
    Any reason why you chose Aluminum over Steel (other that weight)?
    Aluminum doesn't flex or at least it doesn't want to. I ride/race bicycles. Steel frames are comfy, forgiving and have some weight to them. Aluminum frames are super light and stiff as can be, when you pedal the bike moves efficiently. People buy carbon fiber frames these days, claiming it's the best of all worlds but plastic doesn't work for me.

The debate that truly rages on is silicone versus saline. For this FP5421 can offer a powerful perspective. He likes his women a certain way etc.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Aluminum doesn't flex or at least it doesn't want to. I ride/race bicycles. Steel frames are comfy, forgiving and have some weight to them. Aluminum frames are super light and stiff as can be, when you pedal the bike moves efficiently. People buy carbon fiber frames these days, claiming it's the best of all worlds but plastic doesn't work for me.

The debate that truly rages on is silicone versus saline. For this FP5421 can offer a powerful perspective. He likes his women a certain way etc.
    LOL!

A Dinan strut bar says what?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    A Dinan strut bar says what?
    Dinan.

Mason Engineering strut bar says:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vcMAMCTR74k[/ame]
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    None
    well .. Raza is setting up GBs for Dinan strut's in m5board

But like Michel said, function over form ... both are not single pieces. Dinan's look beautiful with the name etched (free advertising he he ) but for the v6s I would believe the Mason would do its job. Also any idea on how much the Dinan's weigh?
    “Who really can face the future? All you can do is project from the past, even when the past shows that such projections are often wrong. And who really can forget the past? What else is there to know?”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My Cars
    HKS-2 M3 and 540iT
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Aluminum doesn't flex or at least it doesn't want to. I ride/race bicycles. Steel frames are comfy, forgiving and have some weight to them. Aluminum frames are super light and stiff as can be, when you pedal the bike moves efficiently.
    Well, the material characteristics you experience in a bike frame do not always translate to other contexts. One of the reasons why alu bike frames tend to be so stiff-riding, is the huge OD of the tubing compared w/ steel bike frames. If the tube dimensions were similar, the alu bike would flex and fail.

Steel is actually 3x stiffer than aluminum.
    Garrett

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Hyde View Post
    My bar mounts the same way. I was referring to the pics of the bar sitting directly on your hood.

A tip for installing a strut bar; sometimes jacking up one side of the car a tiny bit will line things up a little easier.
    Oh!...I very slowly and lightly laid it on there and no damage. The thought crossed my mind while laying it on my hood.

Yeah, that is what I did and part of the the installation instructions that came with the bar. The longer you leave it up in the air, the more it will close in and allow you to attach the bar. However, it still required a little TLC.

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    Anyone have any idea why it is so hard to find a decent affordable strut brace for the 540i E39. Seems everytime I think I have found something great like the Mason strut brace, I look under E39 and it seems to work on every model EXCEPT the 540.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by KevKaos View Post
    Anyone have any idea why it is so hard to find a decent affordable strut brace for the 540i E39. Seems everytime I think I have found something great like the Mason strut brace, I look under E39 and it seems to work on every model EXCEPT the 540.
    Not a commonly tracked car = small demand.

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    Quote Originally Posted by cdb3113 View Post
    Not a commonly tracked car = small demand.

What? No boat races? Unspeakable!!!

Guess I will have to go with one of those Ebay bars. I know I don't need one for the street, but I do hear that they help control some of the creaks and such (and they look cool under the hood).

I guess the biggest question would be, "Why doesn't an E39 brace that fits say a 530 fit on a 540?" I thought an E39 was an E39, but I guess not. Bear with me, I'm trying to learn this stuff on the fly.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 04-23-2009 at 10:33 AM.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    "Why doesn't an E39 brace that fits say a 530 fit on a 540?" I thought an E39 was an E39, but I guess not. Bear with me, I'm trying to learn this stuff on the fly.
    We all learn on the fly! Some of the braces for i6ers might fit. I don't know. There will be engine interference, or there won't. It might take someone just trying it out!

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    What? No boat races? Unspeakable!!!

Guess I will have to go with one of those Ebay bars. I know I don't need one for the street, but I do hear that they help control some of the creaks and such (and they look cool under the hood).

I guess the biggest question would be, "Why doesn't an E39 brace that fits say a 530 fit on a 540?" I thought an E39 was an E39, but I guess not. Bear with me, I'm trying to learn this stuff on the fly.
    +1 I'd buy the alum Mason Bar if it fit a 540i. What are my 540i bros using for their cars as far as strut bars?
    Last edited by BlackBMWs; 04-23-2009 at 04:39 PM.

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit
    1998 318ti Cali Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 23
    1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 68 ,

1995 318ti Active - Alpineweib III/Schwartz, squared style 32
    1994 325i - Bostongrau/Tan, Billy Sports, H&R springs
    1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

1995 318ti Sport Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz - Sold
    1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold

1984 533i "Max" - Schwarz/Schwarz, - Sold
    1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBMWs View Post
    +1 I'd buy the alum Mason Bar if it fit a 540i. What at my 540i bros using for their cars as far as stut bars?

I believe that Mason Engineering custom makes everything, so I don't see why they could not custom make a strut bar for the 540i...???

Has anyone bothered to call Mason Engineering...????

My Cars
    98 540i automatic
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    I believe that Mason Engineering custom makes everything, so I don't see why they could not custom make a strut bar for the 540i...???

Has anyone bothered to call Mason Engineering...????
    I may just do that while I have a few minutes here.

**EDIT** They had a long distance number that I can't call from here (work) so I sent an email. Lets see if we get anything back.
    Last edited by KevKaos; 04-23-2009 at 12:59 PM.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    I may just do that while I have a few minutes here.

**EDIT** They had a long distance number that I can't call from here (work) so I sent an email. Lets see if we get anything back.
    Just called and they are busy. Who ever talks to them, ask about a group buy for a 540 bar.

Who all might be seriously interested if they were willing?

Michel, I hope this is still in line with your post, you've raised some interest here...

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit

1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    2001 540i; 2001 750iL
    Seriously interested in 540 installation from Mason.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by atakordie View Post
    Seriously interested in 540 installation from Mason.
    1. atakordie
    2. cdb3113

My Cars
    2002 525i Sport/5
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBMWs View Post
    Just called and they are busy. Who ever talks to them, ask about a group buy for a 540 bar.

Who all might be seriously interested if they were willing?

Michel, I hope this is still in line with your post, you've raised some interest here...
    No problem at all. That is what this thread is for.

I talked with John Mason this morning after reading some posts and discussed the possibility of a 540 bar. He has already started working on a bar for the 540 but has been very busy with other major projects, so it has slowed him down - he just finished the final product for the 1-series.. He has been test fitting a bar on a 540 with a local guy and they keep having conflicting schedules, thus hindering the completion of the final product.

As Jason mentioned earlier, all of his bars are custom made in his shop so the production of a 540 bar is realistic. I mentioned to him that I would update all of you guys and told him that I will get you guys to contact him as well. The more demand he has for a 540 bar, the faster you guys will probably have one. So, if there are a number of you guys that are seriously interested, put your name on the list started by cdb3113.

I had a set of front and rear bars on my M3 and they were so good that I bought one for my E39. So, I am a repeat customer because Mason Bars do what they are supposed to do at a very reasonable price.

Here are more pics of the Mason Bars on my M3: Mason Engineering Bars - M3
    Last edited by mmm635; 04-23-2009 at 02:15 PM.

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    1. atakordie
    2. cdb3113
    3. BlackBMWs

I spoke with John Mason at Mason Engineering a few minutes ago. Nice guy.

Short story is, is that he is about 4-6 months from tooling and producing a bar for the 540i. He's thinking it will be a steel bar for strength. He has a car coming in to model for the fabrication process.

As far as GBs, he's a low volume producer and has some recent bad experiences with folks flaking out. I let him know I'd watch for interest and when he's closer, I'd share how many folks we have interested.

I encourage anyone who's interested to send John and email stating your interest so he has a good feel for the priority of this bar. He mentioned if he sells 8-12 bars, he's happy.

His email is johnmason55@roadrunner.com

Cheers!

Update: Ha! Michel and my post above just crossed as far as timing. Like Michel says, let John know your interest and Michel, If you're willing, you can take the lead here. Thank you!
    Last edited by BlackBMWs; 04-23-2009 at 02:20 PM.

BMWCCA# 160411

My Cars
    E39 BMW 540iT
    1. atakordie
    2. cdb3113
    3. BlackBMWs
    4. raffi540

I'm definitely interested.