Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Style 5 Refinishers - What are you doing with your BBS Rim Screws/Bolts

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Bumps!

Updates Pete!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Jason -

One photo teaser. I have the wheel on the car and it looks pretty darn good, particularly in the sunlight. Pictures to follow this weekend.

I ended up "color sanding" the powdercoat with 1,000, 1,500, 2,000, 2,000, 2,500 and 3,000, then compounding/polishing with 3M scratch remover and Zaino Fusion three times. With the 1,000 grit, you can watch and feel the orange peel disappear rather quickly.

This is a color-sanded powdercoated wheel:

Last edited by Petes540i6; 04-24-2009 at 04:45 PM.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Thanks Pete!
    I want to see the wheels on the car!

Where did you get the Zaino Fusion?

Thanks!
    Jason

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2003 540iA MSport
    I've been reading the threads on refinishing style 5 & 19's - tons of great info!

Is there a source for buying just the style 5 wheel faces (not the barrels)? I'd like to switch from the 19 while I've got them apart and cleaned.

Thanks,
    ChrisB

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by Petes540i6 View Post

I ended up getting 140 chrome bolts (4 wheels + a few extra) from www.titanium-touch.com/shop. I found them on Germany's ebay. Total amount of 222,40 € (Approx US$298.00) including shipping.
    I need thirty more of these bolts to do my spare. However, this place only sells them in batches of 50 or more. If anyone is planning on going the "chrome splined bolt" route and is willing on buying 30 extra and shipping them to me, please let me know.

Again, these are the chrome M7x30 splined screws. Thanks.

EDIT: Uh, nevermind. I found them in sets of ten on ebay.de.
    Last edited by Petes540i6; 07-11-2009 at 03:54 PM.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    Pete, any updated pics? I'd love to see the bolts from ebay.de and the polish job. Btw, does it oxidize fast, or stay pretty shiny? I see that you are in PA, close weather-wise to DC where I live...
    Rules to live by:
    - Fast, reliable, cheap. You can only have two.
    - Do it right, or do it twice.
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel like View Post
    Pete, any updated pics? I'd love to see the bolts from ebay.de and the polish job. Btw, does it oxidize fast, or stay pretty shiny? I see that you are in PA, close weather-wise to DC where I live...
    This is at the limit of my beat up camera's abilities. The wheel has been polished and powdercoated clear.

The bolts from titaniumtouch.com are nice. They are chrome. They are shiny. But they are expensive. It was another 99 bucks shipped for that last 30 bolts I needed. So I'm in for almost 400 bucks for 5 wheels just for the bolts. Probalby not worth it on a car that will (probalby) never have the door dings and paint chips repaired.

Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    03' M5
    Ok here goes my noobish question.. how do i get the bolts out of the barrell?!?! Ive taken all the nuts off the back and have the wheel in 2 pieces but il be damned if i can get the bolts out. I havent really tried anything drastic becuase i figured im missing something simple here. So far i cleaned all 34 nuts and there fine but no such luck with the bolts, thanks in advance!

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Here's what I do, and has worked well thus far: Thread a nut onto the bolt so 100% of its threads are on the bolt/screw. Then put your 12 point socket on a 6 inch extension on the nut, and whack it a couple times with a hammer. (I use a 2 lb. sledge)
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    03' M5
    ok thanks.. il have to give this a whack tomorrow.. literally

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Is the wheel assembled before powdercoating or are the two sections and bolt heads powdercoated seperately (and if so is there cracking of the coating on the wheel when the bolts are tightened on the back side)?

I still have my style 5s disassembled waiting for my father in law to buy a powder coater and oven.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    Is the wheel assembled before powdercoating or are the two sections and bolt heads powdercoated seperately (and if so is there cracking of the coating on the wheel when the bolts are tightened on the back side)?

I still have my style 5s disassembled waiting for my father in law to buy a powder coater and oven.
    This has been the matter of some debate in the past. I have been installing the bolts and having the barrels and bolts powdercoated, and then installing the center after. I have not had any issues with this. If you do the center at the same time, you will have more to address if something goes awry with the powdercoating.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    BMWs
    Style 5 bolts are not standard bolts. They have splines that hold them in the face of the wheel and they are "tool-less" from the front.

I have refinished the bolts and its NOT easy. I did a set for a friend in a color called "dormant orange metallic":

If you get standard RS bolts they won't use the splines in the wheel. Just a heads up.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    . . . and the fact that they don't have splines will make it "impossible" to have them tight and centered if you powdercoat the barrel and bolts alone.

5mall5nail5, could you tell us more about how you coated those bolt heads? What process did you use, and how did you prep the bolts?
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    Pete, looks amazing! So the polished lip could still hold a clear powdercoat? That is really good news... where did you have yours done? I live in DC, so maybe its somewhat close. Snail, I dig the quasi bass boat look.

Just got a new set of wheels that need some love:

Teaser:

Last edited by weasel like; 07-14-2009 at 09:47 PM.
    Rules to live by:
    - BMW: Just because you can afford to buy one, that doesn't mean you can afford to own one.

1998 528i 5-speed sport - sandbeige with technical graphite trim - Jim Conforti Shark Injector - CDV delete - MY2000 M5 Xenon headlights - MY2000 M5 tails - PP M5 front bumper - E46 M3 paper filter - E60 545i shifter w/ E46 ZHP knob - 12" Alpine Type-R & 500w RF - CD53 w/ AUX input

My Cars
    BMWs
    . . . and the fact that they don't have splines will make it "impossible" to have them tight and centered if you powdercoat the barrel and bolts alone.

5mall5nail5, could you tell us more about how you coated those bolt heads? What process did you use, and how did you prep the bolts?
    I will not lie - they were very difficult. They are plated with something from BMW so I needed to strip that. Next time I will soak them in air craft remover for several hours or a day. That is - if there is a next time - I almost don't ever want to do it again I painstakingly bead blasted each and every bolt until there was no grime on them. That meant holding each one by hand and rotating with 40 psi of bead hitting them - ouch. Then I put them in a special pan I made. I drilled 70+ holes in a cookie sheet (aluminum so its soft) and then flared each hole with a punch so that I could put each bolt in a hole and have them held up off of the pan so they wouldn't stick and ruin the smooth powder coat on the edges. I then coated each batch of ~40 bolts and clear coated them - the powder the guy chose was a two process powers. Base coat of orange dormant and then a clear powder to make the dormant change stages. Very very laborious but very very awesome looking.

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    I will not lie - they were very difficult. They are plated with something from BMW so I needed to strip that. Next time I will soak them in air craft remover for several hours or a day. That is - if there is a next time - I almost don't ever want to do it again I painstakingly bead blasted each and every bolt until there was no grime on them. That meant holding each one by hand and rotating with 40 psi of bead hitting them - ouch. Then I put them in a special pan I made. I drilled 70+ holes in a cookie sheet (aluminum so its soft) and then flared each hole with a punch so that I could put each bolt in a hole and have them held up off of the pan so they wouldn't stick and ruin the smooth powder coat on the edges. I then coated each batch of ~40 bolts and clear coated them - the powder the guy chose was a two process powers. Base coat of orange dormant and then a clear powder to make the dormant change stages. Very very laborious but very very awesome looking.
    Any chance of chipping when reinstalling them? That's all I'd be worried about.
    Rules to live by:

My Cars
    BMWs

Any chance of chipping when reinstalling them? That's all I'd be worried about.
    None - they're tool less from the coated side.

My Cars
    M52 5MT Sport 01/98
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    None - they're tool less from the coated side.
    Amazing. What set are you rebuilding? Pics of the other parts?
    Rules to live by:

My Cars
    BMWs
    Amazing. What set are you rebuilding? Pics of the other parts?
    They're not mine, I just did the powder coating for a friend. He wanted a nice looking funky color setup so I made it happen ha.

Looks kind of out of place until you see the car as a whole - looks wild. We'll be doing his centers in the winter time.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Pete, looks amazing! So the polished lip could still hold a clear powdercoat? That is really good news... where did you have yours done? I live in DC, so maybe its somewhat close. Snail, I dig the quasi bass boat look.

I'm having a place called "Allegheny Metal Finishing" in Imperial, PA do them. He is giving me a really fair price - $30 each - for doing them one at a time.

He is also willing to work with me. I don't want him to try to "clean" the wheel after I give it to him, and he is willing to do it without "cleaning" it first. Every time I had a powdercoater "clean" the wheel before coating it, it got scratched or had a film on it as a result of the "cleaning." I just use the mag polish and very very throroughly wipe it with a microfiber towel before powdercoating.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    BMW 840ci and other
    Hello

I have recently got my wheels back fully powdercoated inners and polishesd lips. I also require new m7 slpine bolts and would like them in Gold don't really want to spend over £200 for them.

The old bolts were removed and I believe thrown away as they were too pitted and rusty to be properly chromed or plated.

Also I have been told the old bolts should not be used at any circumstance due to them stretching.

I need all 136 bolts but must be be of top quality, any ideas?
    Last edited by prit singh; 07-16-2009 at 10:19 PM.

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    Quote Originally Posted by prit singh View Post
    Hello

I have recently got my wheels back fully powdercoated inners and polishesd lips. I also require new m7 slpine bolts and would like them in Gold don't really want to spend over £200 for them.

The old bolts were removed and I belive throwm away as they were too pitted and rusty to be properly chromed or plated.

Also I have been told the old bolts should not be used at any circumstance due to them stretching.

I need all 136 bolts but must be be of top quality, any ideas?
    I looked around, and couldn't find any source for these particular bolts other than wokke.de and titanium-touch.com. I am on the fence about the whole "stretching" thing on a quality M7 bolt tightened to 20-25 foot pounds, but I am no expert in such matters.
    Last edited by Petes540i6; 07-16-2009 at 04:15 PM.
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

My Cars
    88M3-89M3-91MTech-98528i

Just had my bolts and nuts chromed for about $150 locally. They look fantastic!

My Cars
    '98 540i/6, '00 Miata
    How long did they have them? I found some places that would chrome them, but they wanted them for like 6 monts. They do look great!
    Oxford Green 1998 540i/6
    BMWCCA No. 425591

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast