Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey!!! LOOKIE what I DID!!! Fail=OUT / Success=IN

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport

Hey!!! LOOKIE what I DID!!! Fail=OUT / Success=IN

Alright... I've finally decided to ditch the aftermarket NAV setup idea (Avic-Z2/3) and go with the business CD player (post 9/2002) with the AUX input creatively placed. My cupholders were broken, and I stole this idea from another member during my research. Thanks Chiefwej http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...44&postcount=5

My first thoughts... I cant believe I didn't do this earlier. <-- That's a yawn.

I did clear up something that I've heard mixed things about in the past. While researching this mod, I've had a few people tell me that with the business CD and AUX input, I would lose my CD changer. I didn't. I'm sure this isn't some new revelation, but it is to me.

Now, I have my 6-cd changer in the trunk, I have the single cd in the dash, and I have the AUX input. I thought for sure that i was going to be stuck with only a single CD player and AUX input.

So... I didn't do any write-up because there's a few out there and they're all the same. It's too easy to go into details.

Below, you will see the before and after shots. You will also see a video of all of the features. Pretty neat.

Now, the only way that I could justify NOT going the aftermarket NAV route, was to convince myself (my wife) to get the bluetooth retrofit from Bimmernav. No No No... I know what you're thinking, but I didn't do it yet. That's next on the list.

Check it out!

Before:::::::::: BMW FAILCASSETTE & FAILCUPHOLDERS!!!

AFTER::::: SUCCESS!!!

The Video::::: (POST UBERFAILURE!)

http://s6.photobucket.com/albums/y22...t=CIMG3825.flv
    Last edited by Bonswa; 05-05-2009 at 01:03 PM.

My Cars
    1997 540i
    nice

My Cars
    2000 528i
    very nice...

I was going to do that but then i got to thinking and went this route....

i decided to go aftermarket Clarion cd player for the MP3 part of it and the head unit i got takes usb drives so that sold me bought a 8gb drive with tons of songs. got the unit just havent put it in yet...now i can since my issues are done.

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    I hear ya.. If i was going to go aftermarket, it was going to be the Avic-Z2 or Z3. I would get the Nav, Bluetooth, DVD, and Ipod all in one. With the Janus-Design bezel, it would look as close to OEM as possible. But... instead of spending almost $2k for everything, i spent $190 for the Business CD player AND the OEM AUX input cable. Now, i just need to find a used Bluetooth retrofit and i've got everything.

I decided against the NAV, since i use my Iphone anyway for it. I decided against the DVD, because i really dont need it, i guess.

That USB is a plus for you. My friends 135i has it and it's soooo convenient.

My Cars
    (OO=[][]=OO)
    I kept the stock tape player and ordered a Dension Gateway 300. Yes, it replaces the 6-disc changer but I mainly just play cds I burn from the computer.

With the Dension gateway 300 you can plug in a USB drive (or an iPod), control from the steering wheel and get to keep the pretty look of the stock radio/MID.

Now, if it will only show up... the vendor I ordered it from doesn't really deal with BMW and they are telling me it's getting shipped from Hungary.

My Cars
    1999 528i
    Looks awesome. I want to do this with mine too. Where'd you get the parts from?

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by joako View Post
    I kept the stock tape player and ordered a Dension Gateway 300. Yes, it replaces the 6-disc changer but I mainly just play cds I burn from the computer.

With the Dension gateway 300 you can plug in a USB drive (or an iPod), control from the steering wheel and get to keep the pretty look of the stock radio/MID.

Now, if it will only show up... the vendor I ordered it from doesn't really deal with BMW and they are telling me it's getting shipped from Hungary.
    I like the gateway 300, but here's my deal:

The ONLY mp3 player that i would use is either an Ipod or my Iphone. That being said, I have WAAAAAAAY to many folders and sub folders to be digging through using the steering wheel. I thought it was cool at first. Then, i realized that in my wifes car (pre-wired for aux) i navigate through the playlists and albums on my iphone with no problem. Basically, its much easier for me to find what i want to hear by using my iphone than it would be for me to scroll through. Now, If i was going to just use a USB, that would be different. I wouldnt have so many folders and subfolders.

Quote Originally Posted by VaE39 View Post
    Looks awesome. I want to do this with mine too. Where'd you get the parts from?
    I got EVERYTHING from Ebay. This guy Robert is an incredible guy. he knows a lot about BMW's too, so that helped in making sure i had the correct production date.
    He had two business cd players for sale, both from 03 e39's.
    I purchased one. I convinced him to put a buy it now price on it .
    He still has another one for sale on Ebay. There's less than one day left on it, and he's selling it cheap. It's in this link below:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...rQ5fAmplifiers
    Let me tell you, this guy shipped it using 2-3 day priority, he wrapped it so intricately that it protected the plastic edges. When i opened it up, it was IMMACULATE. it looked brand new.

The aux cable can be purchased from the dealer for around the same price as ebay. I just wanted the feedback so i purchased on ebay.

The cup holder needed replacing. same as with the cable. I get dealer prices from the dealer, so it's just as cheap at the dealer as it is on ebay. I purchased one, drilled a hole, shoved the AUX cable through, voila!

My Cars
    1999 528i
    OH man thanks for that link. What is the year and production date on your car anyways?I wanna know if this will work with mine. I have a 99, 10/98 production date.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Nice work!
    That AUX port looks cleanly done.
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    None
    Bonswa, the video opened me eyes Neato

can you please share with me the details of the aux install? links/posts? I have a 03 525i w/ business CD and would like to get that AUX thingie installed ... I don't need 6 cd changer so just the aux is enough for me

thank you~
    “Who really can face the future? All you can do is project from the past, even when the past shows that such projections are often wrong. And who really can forget the past? What else is there to know?”
    ― Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

My Cars
    MTree
    Nice upgrade.

Does anyone make a storage tray that can go in that slot? I have my DICE kit now and don't need the cassette player, nor a CD player.

My Cars
    05 Audi A4
    nice work!

My Cars
    2001 530i Sport Pkge
    looks good

My Cars
    2007 Volvo S60R
    sweet!!
    -Русский-

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by VaE39 View Post
    OH man thanks for that link. What is the year and production date on your car anyways?I wanna know if this will work with mine. I have a 99, 10/98 production date.
    I believe my production date is 12/01. I would need someone to confirm the actual dates, but some earlier years have the round pins in the back of your casette. You need the one with square pins to get away without splicing everything. If you have the square pins, no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Nice work!
    That AUX port looks cleanly done.
    I didnt know that was you..... Sneaky avatar guy

Quote Originally Posted by RJLupin View Post
    Bonswa, the video opened me eyes Neato

can you please share with me the details of the aux install? links/posts? I have a 03 525i w/ business CD and would like to get that AUX thingie installed ... I don't need 6 cd changer so just the aux is enough for me

thank you~
    You've got the hard part done already. All you need is one simple part below:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...fAudioQ5fVideo

Use the guide below to get the MID and CD player out. Once it's out, there's only one place that the AUX cable plugs into. If you want to mount it where i did mine, then take the BMW "cupfailer" out feed the cable down to it. drill a hole and mount. Honestly, once it's connected, you can pick any spot to mount. Are you sure you dont have one already in your glove box. I thought 03's with business cd came with them. if not, you can mount it there too.

http://www.bmwtips.com/tipsntricks/M...0(archive).htm

Quote Originally Posted by M13 View Post
    Nice upgrade.

Does anyone make a storage tray that can go in that slot? I have my DICE kit now and don't need the cassette player, nor a CD player.
    Hmmm.... that would be nice. for you.
    You could just do the center console storage tray conversion. I'm keeping my eyes open for parts to do that.

Quote Originally Posted by E39K3V View Post
    nice work!
    Quote Originally Posted by rmkonrad View Post
    looks good
    Quote Originally Posted by Dliniypasha View Post
    sweet!!
    Thanks.

My Cars
    2007 Chevy Impala
    Nice man. Very nice.

Would this mod work on an e46 with business cd?
    '01 330xi You are Missed

Back in the states.
    Perpetually hung-over.

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    Where did you get the Business CD from? I didn' see it above...

My Cars
    530i 11/00
    i have the aux in on my car aswell but i didnt neet to replace my 96 casette or pay more than 5 bucks to create the cable
    96 318is Sport --sold
    96 528ia Premium Comfort seats --sold
    98 528ia euro sport pack BR41880-- sold
    01 530ia Premium CE52247
    02 540ia Individual GG91507

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    This is a repost from above for the CD player. This is an exact duplicate of the one i purchased. When I tell you "MINT", this thing is in great condition.

I got EVERYTHING from Ebay. This guy Robert is an incredible guy. he knows a lot about BMW's too, so that helped in making sure i had the correct production date.
    He had two business cd players for sale, both from 03 e39's.
    I purchased one. I convinced him to put a buy it now price on it .
    He still has another one for sale on Ebay. There's less than one day left on it, and he's selling it cheap. It's in this link below:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E...rQ5fAmplifiers

Let me tell you, this guy shipped it using 2-3 day priority, he wrapped it so intricately that it protected the plastic edges. When i opened it up, it was IMMACULATE. it looked brand new.

I HIGHLY recommend purchasing this one. $150 right now with no bids on it. STAY FAAAAAAR AWAY FROM LKQ!!!!!!!! I wont go into details, but it's not good.

Quote Originally Posted by xisco44 View Post
    i have the aux in on my car aswell but i didnt neet to replace my 96 casette or pay more than 5 bucks to create the cable
    Did you do the soldering retrofit?
    Last edited by Bonswa; 03-17-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 540i/6, 2002 M5
    If it is there when I get home from work... no eBay at work.

The 03' works in my high OBC 98'?

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    I still don't know how to do it in my case since the cassette player has bass/treble/balance/fader buttons. All CD units I've seen have just one or two buttons; what do you do in those cases? It wouldn't be a problem if my cassette player had the aux port, but I don't know that either

EDIT: I just found Qsilver post on another thread. With the business CD player those controls get automatically moved to the lower display/buttons. Great! I should be doing this same thing soon. I dunno if I have the round pins or what though...
    Last edited by crdiscoverer; 03-17-2009 at 01:14 PM.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    540it-318ti-318ic-Z3
    same question for me.

Bonswa, nice clean job! I'll search out the DIYs. I suspect I have the round pins... Don't know if this will work for me...

1999 540it - Schwartz II/Sand Beige, style 5 rims, Conti DWS 235/45 tires, Billy HD/Sports, Stoptech S/S BL, F1 Pinacle 35% tint, Zionsville Cooling kit
    1998 318ti Cali Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 23
    1997 318ti Sport - Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz, staggered style 68 ,

1995 318ti Active - Alpineweib III/Schwartz, squared style 32
    1994 325i - Bostongrau/Tan, Billy Sports, H&R springs
    1991 318ic - Schwarz/Anthratz Stoff, Bilstien HD, Z4 3.0 SS, Magnaflow, S/S Stress bar, x-brace, M20 FW, Elipsoid/HID, K&N

BMWCCA# 160411

1995 318ti Sport Schwartz II/Schwartz Anthratz - Sold
    1985 635CSI - Schwartz\Sand - Sold

1984 533i "Max" - Schwarz/Schwarz, - Sold
    1984 318i - Champagne/Tan, Stock - Sold

My Cars
    BMW 530i M-Sport
    I thought i read somewhere, from Qsilver, that there's a simple adapter for round pins

Man, watching my own video makes me realize how much of a tool i am. Thumbs up??? I mean, who does that??? Who takes a video with their camera???

Ended on a good song though. Almost like an outro to the video.
    Last edited by Bonswa; 03-17-2009 at 02:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonswa View Post
    I thought i read somewhere, from Qsilver, that there's a simple adapter for round pins

Man, watching my own video makes me realize how much of a tool i am. Thumbs up??? I mean, who does that??? Who takes a video with their camera???

Ended on a good song though. Almost like an outro to the video.
    post up if you find this adapter how-to. I assume this is for the pre 2003 (9/2002) DSP cars?

My Cars
    09 E90 M3 89 325i
    ...I'm not sure I've ever seens as many smileys in a single past as I did for the first one
    Current Bimmer: '89 E30 DD, '89 E30 Project
    Former Bimmers: '09 E9 M3, '99 E39 540i, Dinan Stg. V | Dinan CAI, Dinan MAF, Dinan TB, Dinan S/W, Pre-VANOS "Dinan" intake manifold, Magnaflow exhaust, res. delete, M3 SSK| M5 3.15 LSD, Koni FSD w/Eibach Pro Kit, Eibach Sway bars, Powerflex bushings, Rogue tranny mounts, 18x9 ASA AR1's, 275 General Ex UHP's at each corner | M5 Brake system, Stoptech SS Lines, Axxis ULTs F&R, Stoptech Slotted rotors, ATE Super Blue...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast