Thread: E39 touring hatch latch parts

My Cars
    too many

E39 touring hatch latch parts

Have any of you guys had the tailgate apart on an E39 touring? My new-to-me 2000 528iT has a couple of glitches that I've been working on, tonight I decided to tackle the problem that was preventing the tailgate from opening.

I could hear the actuator actuating when I squeezed the exterior tailgate handle, but it would not release. The warning light on the dash showed that the tailgate was open. I read the owner's manual and found the emergency opening procedure for the tailgate- pulled the handle and it popped open! So, I took the trim panels off the inside of the tailgate to investigate. I found that the tailgate latch "arm" that was supposed to connect to the actuator arm did not connect anymore. It was still connected to the emergency release cable, so when I pulled that it popped open, but since it was no longer connected to the actuator, the actuator was moving but not pulling (pushing actually) the latch to open the tailgate.

My question is- does anyone have a pic of a working tailgate latch? I'm trying to figure out what is supposed to connect the latch arm to the actuator arm. They each have a hole in the arm, and when you line up the holes, it looks like a small bolt or pin of some sort is supposed to connect them together. I used a wire bread bag tie to test my fix, and it works fine, but I'd like to make a more permanent fix.

I've attached the realoem.com diagram for reference, #10 is the actuator- but it doesn't show the arm that sticks out of it, #3 is the emergency release "cable", but mine only has 1 cable, not 2 like the diagram. If you draw a line from the cable end into the latch assy, you can kind of see where it is supposed to attach- I just need to know what they use to attach it.

(I'll post some pics of mine later tonight so you can see what I'm talking about)

Realoem.com shows this:
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '00 528iT spo
    Rig:

This is a known issue.

Search on here and bimmerfest and you'll see several home-grown solutions.

Many fix with a zip-tie.
    Jason

'90 325iX 5M, '00 528iT 5M Sport (mfg. 5/1999)
    BMW CCA member #130075
    JScott Racing

My Cars
    too many
    Quote Originally Posted by jase007 View Post
    Rig:

This is a known issue.

Search on here and bimmerfest and you'll see several home-grown solutions.

Many fix with a zip-tie.
    Crap, sorry about that.

I searched but didn't find anything- back to search some more now.

Just call me a newb......

My Cars
    '90 325iX, '00 528iT spo
    No worries. You came up with the same solution on your own versus dropping $$$ at the dealer for a new complete unit.

Best solutions are DIY "fixes" most of the time.

Here is one

And a thread by Rsavory on his use of a zip tie versus plastic pin (saved $300 ...?)
    Last edited by jase007; 03-13-2009 at 09:52 PM.
    Jason

'90 325iX 5M, '00 528iT 5M Sport (mfg. 5/1999)
    BMW CCA member #130075
    JScott Racing

My Cars
    too many
    Thanks jase.

Below are a couple of pics I took tonight. You can clearly see that the 2 pieces are no longer connected. As the other threads mentioned, it's supposed to be held together with a plastic "rivet" that is not available as a separate part. I did not have a small enough zip tie in the house so I used bread bag ties and it works fine- but tomorrow I'm going to dig through the shop to find a couple of small zip ties to reinforce the whole thing.

EDIT: just to clarify for those who find this thread in search of the solution to their hatch problems- the actuator moves the latch arm to the left as you view the pics (sitting in the back of the car looking towards the rear), when you close the hatch, the latch moves the actuator to the right, and a sensor or microswitch in the actuator senses that the hatch is shut + latched properly, which keeps the tailgate open light from coming on the dash, and activates the small motor that latches the tailgate down tight. (I think....)

Here are some pics of the latch:

And here's my next problem to tackle- fried/melted/shorted wires going into the amp behind the driver's side rear panel.......

Last edited by Rigmaster; 03-13-2009 at 10:50 PM.