Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: E34 Specific Pre-purchase inspection (PPI) report under development

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC

E34 Specific Pre-purchase inspection (PPI) report under development

All,

As my way of giving something back to the community to say thanks for all the help researching my pending purchase I am working on an E34 specific PPI to help myself and others do a detailed inspection of north american spec E34s.

I have a very good reference document to start from and I am adding in various E34 specific gotchas and checklists that I have compiled from my research here and around the web.

All feedback welcome.

-Jeff

March 17, 2009 - 21:30 EST - Updated

Version 1.0 - March 8, 2009
    -Initial Version

Version 1.1 - March 9, 2009
    -Added page numbers and total page count
    -Changed checkboxes on page one for items to be circled
    -Added Spark Plug condition reference under compression section
    -Reformated condition option description to two lines, added NA definition
    -Added divider lines every five items for ease of reference
    -Added reference to CarFax/CarProof under miscellaneous
    -Added notations for wear items & related mileage
    -Added aux fan check under electrical per suggestion by Zubbie
    -Added door panels loose / dry glue issue
    -Added door bottom rust inspection
    -Added city and highway test driver observation section
    -Added recommended repairs and recommended maintenance areas for each section
    -Added conclusion requesting quotes on repairs and maintenance
    -Adjusted formatting and layout to imbue the document with visual excellence
    -Spill checked the entire document

Version 2.0 - March 17, 2009 (Happy St. Patrick's Day)
    -Re-vamp layout in to test drive, interior, exterior moving front to back for better efficiency
    -Moved behind the wheel items to road test section (ABS, traction control, wipers, washers, horn etc)
    -Moved items to physical grouping from logical groups, e.g. fuse panel is now under engine instead of electrical due to its location
    -Broke out exhaust component section (cat's are expensive) and moved to drive shaft area for physical convenience
    -Added moisture in headlights and lens condition check
    -Added battery measurement item
    -Removed miscellaneous section, merged items in to others
    -Moved page numbers to footer
    -Used consistent paragraph styles to ease future editing
    -Added check for bent seat frames
    -Added spark plug condition columns under engine cylinder check
    -Added note to pull engine/error codes
    -Fixed spelling of axle
    -Added M60 oil pump bolts item
    -Lots of other little goodies

New link, new file name:

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/161739/E3...klist%20V2.pdf

WHAT TO PAY FOR THE INSPECTION: A good BMW savvy shop should be able to do the inspection in 2.5 - 3 hours.

SAMPLE:

If you would like to see a sample of a completed report, the V1.1 report was used to inspect a 1995 530ia that I was considering buying. It's a good thing I ran the inspection the car needed thousands and thousands of repair work. Have a look here: http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/161739/19...I%20Sample.pdf

Enjoy. Any suggestions, please let me know.
    Last edited by jac1d; 03-24-2009 at 07:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    93BMW 525i/95 BMW 540i/6
    Keep us updated.
    USC Ralph - Long Beach, CA USA
    1989 E34 White 525i (M20) 310,000m (Sold)
    1993 E34 Black 525i (M50) 308,955m
    1995 E34 Calypso Red 540i/6 (M60) 201,254m
    1993 E34 Black 525iT (M50) 138,500m

My Cars
    various
    Wow. You do take this seriously. Nice job. Should go in the FAQ

My Cars
    E34, E368
    Lookin good!

My Cars
    '01 530i/5 sport
    Wish I had this for when I got mine

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    Thanks for the positive feedback.

Zubbie - Yeah I do take it seriously. I have to when I'm blind, buying over the Internet. I need someone to me my eyes and ears. As my Dad likes to say "Anything worth doing is worth doing right". Only took me a few decades to appreciate his wisdom.

One thing I noticed I forget to call out explicitly is the door panel glue drying/panel coming off issue. I will add that.

-Jeff

My Cars
    various
    Aux fan (check by turning AC on)

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    Ok, revamped and updated file now posted. Original post updated with new link.

I'm still mulling over the ordering of the items, to see if there is a way to optimize the way the mechanic/inspector works through the car to spend the least amount of time. At the same time, I think there is value in coming and going from an area more than once as you tend to notice things the second time around.

Also, I considered enumerating the items (I haven't counted how many inspection points this is yet), thinking it might be easier to refer to a give point if discussion it, however, it makes the form even busier, so I opted not to.

-Jeff

My Cars
    various
    Quote Originally Posted by jac1d View Post
    Ok, revamped and updated file now posted. Original post updated with new link.

I'm still mulling over the ordering of the items, to see if there is a way to optimize the way the mechanic/inspector works through the car to spend the least amount of time. At the same time, I think there is value in coming and going from an area more than once as you tend to notice things the second time around.

Also, I considered enumerating the items (I haven't counted how many inspection points this is yet), thinking it might be easier to refer to a give point if discussion it, however, it makes the form even busier, so I opted not to.

-Jeff
    You are starting to sound like an engineer

http://home.pcisys.net/~tbc/sounds/knack.wav

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    For those in the area, I sent a copy of the related word document for this PPI to Ryan at Nixon Automotive in Burnaby, so if you need a PPI done he has the file.

-Jeff

My Cars
    01 540i/6
    Wow, impressive! This will help a lot!!

My Cars
    e34x2+e28+e38-e30
    Looks great. Just make sure to spell check. I think I saw axel instead of axle.

Sorry... pet peeve of mine.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 528iT
    Nice...

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    Quote Originally Posted by zubbie View Post

You are starting to sound like an engineer

http://home.pcisys.net/~tbc/sounds/knack.wav
    Zubbie,

Just got to listen to this now. OMFG that is funny. I'm sending it to my wife!

-Jeff
    Buying an E34? Make sure you do a Pre-Purchase Inspection (PPI)!

My 10 page E34 customized PPI: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hlight=E34+PPI

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." -- Nora Roberts, American Author

My Cars
    and trucks
    Hey Jeff, did you see what I wrote somewhere about model specific appendices?

And have you guys seen the Dilbert strip where hes a kid. His mother is telling the doctor that Dilbert took the can opener apart and the doctor replies normal. Then she says he built a radio and the doctor says "Ma'am, your son is going to be an engineer." The mom starts crying and then in the last panel you see Dilbert at the eye doctor?
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    Hi David,

Outside of the M5, which I know almost nothing about, I can't think of what else would be in the appendix. Open to contributions though!

-Jeff

My 10 page E34 customized PPI: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...hlight=E34+PPI

"If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place." -- Nora Roberts, American Author

My Cars
    and trucks
    Yea didn't mean to criticize at all, what I said wherever I posted that was just adding notes at the end for model specific things. Things like M20 timing belt or M60 valve adjustments. M60 oil pump bolts.

But I also said I haven't had time to read it all so you probably have it covered and I just don't know it.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    Good suggestions, all. I hadn't added the oil pump bolts. Where can I find the other M60 info?

Also, I just got the first completed report back from my mechanic. I'll post the full report, it is REALLY insightful going over it. (Link to report posted in the thread opening).

Incidentally, the car was a definite thumbs down, which is too bad, but it may lead to a 540i in Green which is exactly my top choice.

I also got some good feedback about revamping the ordering of the major sections to make it easier to perform and moving a number of things from one section to another. V2.0 should appear some time this weekend.

If anyone else wants to throw in some model specific things like David, please fire away.

-Jeff
    Last edited by jac1d; 03-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.

My Cars
    and trucks
    Hm, the 525 was a nogo? But green 540, tan interior? I'm hard already.

For the M20 I've noticed some things:

• The fuel lines running from the firewall to the pressure regulator are exposed to alot of heat. Hard to find cracks without taking them off unless they burst.
    • The ICV can be bad and only give symptoms in certain conditions, check it using the Bentley's directions.
    • Take the air boot off and bend it against the curvature to check for cracks.
    • TIMING BELT. Replace when purchased to be safe.
    • Corroded negative battery lead causing odd electrical behavior.
    • Stripped teeth on the alternator tensioning bracket.
    • 1-2 and 2-1 up/downshifts
    • Remove alternator cooling duct and inspect for breaks.

Things I've noticed from the old boys (89-90)

• Back rear door stuck closed caused by a seized actuator.
    • Look for battery tray rust and rear tire well rust.
    • Put both windows up and down
    • After market stereo install with a poor amp bypass, causes right front speaker to not work
    • Put all windows up and down twice
    • For the M20 525i some engine parts may show up on a parts search as being for an '87-'89 E30 325is. Same goes for things such as the A/C compressor on the M30 535i
    • A odometer that reads 300k means the car probably has more mileage than that, the old storing chips stop at 300k.
    • Flex disc, center support bearing, guibo
    • Bad OEM shocks will eventually stop squeaking
    • Inspect front suspension for blown or broken upper strut mounts

I know theres more that I can't think of for the M20, I'll get back.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    If someone showed up to my house with that document in their hands to look at a 20 year old car, I'd tell them to GTFO, then I'd come and kick your ass for making it.

Nothing personal. Just a huge pet peeve of mine when people want to get all scientific about buying old cars. Here's a clue: it's 20 years old, it's gonna need things, and lots of them. If it was perfect, it wouldn't be 3000 dollars, it would be 30,000.

My Cars
    and trucks
    The wire that runs from the 1st spark plug wire, across the front of the block, and then to a 3prong connector at the wiring bundle down along the left side of the block.

Because of where that wire runs it can be incorrectly jammed around the thermo housing or the timing cover by a careless tech, causing it to wear/fray significantly.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    Quote Originally Posted by slocar View Post
    If someone showed up to my house with that document in their hands to look at a 20 year old car, I'd tell them to GTFO, then I'd come and kick your ass for making it.

Nothing personal. Just a huge pet peeve of mine when people want to get all scientific about buying old cars. Here's a clue: it's 20 years old, it's gonna need things, and lots of them. If it was perfect, it wouldn't be 3000 dollars, it would be 30,000.
    You kind of made my point. No one suggested the car wouldn't have issues. Nor would I blow a purchase because of a few known issues, like a set of shocks and some suspension bushings. If a car is $3K, thats fine, but there is nothing wrong with knowing how much work it needs.

You're right, of course expectations have to be realistic, but this isn't about assuming everything is perfect, its making sure you know what needs work and what doesn't so you don't get a $3500 surprise like the new cats I would have needed on that 530i. If that offends you, that doesn't hurt my feelings at all, as you said, we just wouldn't be doing any business together.

It turns out, in the case of this 1995 530i they were asking almost $6K for it. And with the work it needed it was about a $2500 car at best.

If it was $6K and it needed Service II and a pair of shocks I would have bought it. As it turns out it was leaking oil all over the (original nikasil) engine, just as a start. Compression and leakdown were materially inconsistent across the two cylinder banks as well...

-Jeff
    Last edited by jac1d; 03-13-2009 at 10:02 PM.

My Cars
    E34 535i
    wow. is this FAQ'd yet?

My Cars
    '01 740il, '02 330CiC
    Ok V2 is now posted, see the new link in the edited original post of this thread.

Can folks please review it, let me know your comments and I think its in good enough shape to be included in the FAQ if agreed by the moderators.

-Jeff

My Cars
    and trucks
    Its looking good man. I can't think of anything else to suggest unless you're adding the M20 stuff.
    Dave
    1995 Lincoln Towncar.
    Cartier
    I pimp your mom

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast