Thread: Need 135i strut brace tester in California!

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318

Need 135i strut brace tester in California!

As a suspension designer & mechanical engineer I call the E90/E82 strut brace a "show piece", as in: it does little to nothing in the way of structural enhancement on these cars. Like factory trunk lip spoilers and 19" wheels, it is nothing more than a styling cue. That's OK, we all have our vanity, and pretty sometimes is pleasant. But a faux strut tower brace? Was this was the best they could do? Well, where there's a weakness in any factory equipment, the aftermarket steps in to make a better part. A competition oriented strut brace looks like this:

That is not made of flashy carbon fiber, or magnesium, or chrome plated bling. This is a 100% competition oriented product that is "function first". We have worked with Mason Engineering over the years to develop competition worthy strut tower braces for BMWs, and its time to do the same for the BMW E82/135i. Mason builds everything in the USA, on rigid fixtures, with beautiful TIG welds, and only the highest grade US alloy steel and aluminum. This is no sweatshop built imported part, welded by an 80 year old grandmother out of pot metal - this is the real deal.

Alloy steel rear shock tower brace before powder coating at Vorshlag. That is what proper TIG welds look like

I won't argue added torsional rigidity of a bolt-on strut brace (they help) or that bolting on this brace will "transform your car". Instead we promote them for use in strengthening the fairly weak strut tower sheet metal on BMWs, especially on cars with higher spring rates and/or camber caster plates that remove the massive marshmallow rubber strut top mount. Call it "insurance". Adding a true strut tower brace keeps this known weak area from cracking under extreme racing (curbing) and street impacts (potholes). We use them on all of our BMWs, front and rear, to keep them squeak free for 100's of thousands of miles. They work.

The factory strut bar: What a mess!

135i owners - are you tired of the OEM cheese-ball strut "bar"? This sorry excuse for a strut brace that BMW installs is just begging for an upgrade. Just like the spongy motor mounts, vague feeling shifter, and soft-as-possible suspension spring rates, this is an area that needs improvement for true BMW enthusiasts and racers alike. Here are the issues:

1. The bar goes straight across the strut tower opening, blocking access to most adjustable strut adjustment knobs.
    2. It attaches through a single stud/point on each tower. A true strut brace attaches at all 3 strut top mounting studs and spreads the transmitted impact/suspension loads across a broad area for additional strut tower integrity.
    3. Its made of a single piece of round tubing, bent in the middle, squashed flat at both ends. A hole is drilled at the flattened end and its attached to the car with one stud/nut.

The new Mason strut brace design will likely be routed more directly from tower to tower, possibly over the factory airbox (its needs to be replaced with a cold air at some point, right?). Question: would 135i owners prefer steel or aluminum strut tower braces?

We need a new 1 series brace to clear our new AST 5200 and 5300 inverted struts' reservoir hoses, too.

45mm or 50mm upper shaft diameters, monotube design, high pressure Nitrogen charge, modular/upgradable from single to triple adjustable.

If you live near the Simi Valley, CA area and own a 135i, please drop me a PM. We'll setup an appointment with you at Mason Engineering to get some measurements and a mock-up brace. The tester we choose will, of course, get a heavily discounted price on a strut brace.

Let us know what you think.

Thanks,
    Last edited by Fair; 02-18-2009 at 11:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP

Question

Does having this impact the driving characteristic during normal daily driving (negatively or positively)? or do its impacts only occur during high performance driving?

I am not trying to pass judgment, just curious.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

Fair is offline Senior Member Supporting Vendor
    My Cars
    E36 M3, E36 LS1, E30 318
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Does having this impact the driving characteristic during normal daily driving (negatively or positively)? or do its impacts only occur during high performance driving?

I am not trying to pass judgment, just curious.
    Additional chassis bracing keeps the unibody more rigid over the long term as well as limits chassis deflection under performance/track use for better dynamic suspension geometry.

Basically it helps in both normal street driving (helping soak up potholes) and track driving (increased cornering loads will cause chassis deflection/loads).

The E92 M3 strut tower brace is a much better factory effort

The non-M E90/92 chassis uses this same pitiful OEM strut bar as the 1 series, but those owners can swap in the better/stronger yet more open design from the M3. The 1 series has no such "factory upgrade", just the craptastic stock piece. As you can see above the E92 M3 comes with a brace that transmits suspension loads across the entire surface of the strut tower and into the brace, not just at one itty bitty point. The M3 piece also leaves the top of the strut tower wide open, for easy access to adjustable shock knobs (or in the case of the stock struts, the EDC modules).

=========

Update: Well this post will likely auto-merge with my previous one, so I will make it a red font so it stands out.

The tester lined up previously for Mason has flaked out, so we're still looking for a 135i owner in Simi Valley, CA area for use in measurements/mockup.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Fair; 02-18-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Terry Fair @ Vorshlag Motorsports

My Cars
    2003 325i, 1999 328i
    So where did this ever go? Is there now a 135i strut brace I can buy that is't just a POS?
    AC Schnitzer Racing Type III wheels 18”, Kumho 225 40 ZR18
    Active Autowerke G3 Exhaust, Racing Dynamics Sways, UUC Underdrive Pulleys
    UUC SSK, AC Schnitzer Pedals
    UUC Shift Knob, Dinan Throttle Body
    Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan Stage III Software, Dinan Front Strut Brace
    Bilstein PSS Coilovers, CDV Mod
    3.46 Dif , Black Out Grille
    CF Trunk Lip Spoiler, OEM Clears
    GA Legal Tint, CF Interior Trim
    Sparco Racing Seat, Schroth Harness
    Front License Plate Holder Removed and De-Badged

My Cars