Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Crankcase Vent Valve FYI

My Cars
    2003 525i

Crankcase Vent Valve FYI

Just spoke with a friend at BMW. I am looking to replace my CCV which was installed less than a year ago. He said BMW suggests a complete, new upgrade kit, which they released and BMW also recommends as part of the kit, the dipstick tube be replaced as well.

I know poolman and others have tracked down vacuum leaks in this area.

I have to believe the new kit is the winter-version, dunno. The contact in NY at BMW also offered, they were replacing 2-3 a day for portions of the winter.
    "I'd smash that (Jennifer Connelly) like a failed coup in sub-Saharan Africa."
    ~Macktheknife in my epic Jennifer Connelly OT Thread

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    I wonder if BMW is suggesting to replace the dipstick tube--or just the rubber 0 ring thats located there. I finally found how to remove the tube from the pan. There was a bracket on the tube that housed some electrical wires--removed the wires and the part pulled out. I didn't have a new 0 ring--but the old one looked OK--gave it a bath for about 30 min in white lithium grease and she was good as new--installed the old one again and alls sealed up well. I bet that BMW has come up with a different 0 ring
    for this location--I swear I have never worked on a car that has some much potential
    for vacuum leaks--but when it's sealed up well you can hear the diff in just the way the car idles in gear and how the engine sounds pulling through the gears.
    There have been many that never had oil useage problem until the cvv was changed--and I bet most of that problem is due to a vac leak around that 0 ring at the dipstick tube.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by bimmerfiver View Post
    Just spoke with a friend at BMW. I am looking to replace my CCV which was installed less than a year ago. He said BMW suggests a complete, new upgrade kit, which they released and BMW also recommends as part of the kit, the dipstick tube be replaced as well.

I know poolman and others have tracked down vacuum leaks in this area.

I have to believe the new kit is the winter-version, dunno. The contact in NY at BMW also offered, they were replacing 2-3 a day for portions of the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poolman View Post
    I wonder if BMW is suggesting to replace the dipstick tube--or just the rubber 0 ring thats located there. I finally found how to remove the tube from the pan. There was a bracket on the tube that housed some electrical wires--removed the wires and the part pulled out. I didn't have a new 0 ring--but the old one looked OK--gave it a bath for about 30 min in white lithium grease and she was good as new--installed the old one again and alls sealed up well. I bet that BMW has come up with a different 0 ring
    for this location--I swear I have never worked on a car that has some much potential
    for vacuum leaks--but when it's sealed up well you can hear the diff in just the way the car idles in gear and how the engine sounds pulling through the gears.
    There have been many that never had oil useage problem until the cvv was changed--and I bet most of that problem is due to a vac leak around that 0 ring at the dipstick tube.

Interesting, for sure!
    I guess BMW got in the hot seat for too many failures...

PLEASE let me know more about this new kit!
    I WILL be installing it!

Thank you Sirs!

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    The new dipstick tube is different... the old style was a tube inside a tube.. the dipstick tube inside the drain for the CCV. With only a mm or two of space between the two. The new style simply takes the CCV drain and dumps it into the dipsitick tube, so that it (supposedly) less likely to freeze, since there's more volume inside one big tube than there is in between the 2 tubes.
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Keith I ordered you the kit. I was looking at the 0-rings as well. I think I will order them as well.

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Keith I ordered you the kit. I was looking at the 0-rings as well. I think I will order them as well.
    What are the new part numbers/ items?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Thank you Sir. I will cook bacon cheeseburgers in the shop tomorrow FTMFW.

Jason, the 'new kit' is simply the 'winter version'. BMW suggests replacing it with this style.

Update people. I wanted to pass this along. According to a reputable source at BMW, if your CCV/etc is very nasty/gunky, you should also replace # 5 and 6 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...79&hg=11&fg=40

BMW is seeing failures of the CCV on a regular basis.

I also picked up some Sensor-Safe RTV, we'll remove the DISA Valve. Some throttle body cleaner will be used to buff up it's butterfly valve and a wee bit of RTV to ensure a tight seal.

We'll clean the ICV and the throttle body too. The throttle body will also receive a new gasket.

I also picked up a spare vacuum caps and why? My old CCV didn't have one and you need to cap-off # 6 here:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...94&hg=11&fg=15

Number 6 above is not a vacuum line...it's a cap! A tarp!

My car will idle like bear in the winter or someone in New Jersey will die.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 02-09-2009 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    Here's a post that mentions the parts (#4)
    I was taken by surprise when I had to change soooo many parts including the dipstick guide

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    Bimmerfiver--Your heading in the right direction on all counts in chasing down potential vac leaks--when these engines are running right--the tail pipe will be so clean -you can run your finger thru and it will be just a hint of carbon--almost clean
    and you can see the steel is clean looking as well.
    That distribution unit on top of the intake I had a problem with a few months back
    on the back post --the 0 ring had given up the ghost and was sucking air there.
    Below is a rather long post I started on vac leaks sometime back--looks like we are going over some of the same issues--but it might help you though
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1079942

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    I came across that new number not long ago. Now where was that.....?...
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    I don't mean to hijack this thread but I'm battling vacuum leaks and high oil consumption, and I was about to replace the CCV along with the valve cover gaskets. I was collecting the parts, which I believe are #1, 2 and 6...

...and #2 here:

I don't think there is a winter package around here so the standard parts shall do. If I'm replacing those things, what else should I consider having at hand just in case? I'm still unsure if I need the two hoses above, as I have read they can get damaged when replacing the CCV, and I plan on doing this by myself.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    2003-525i BMW
    You will need the two hose's- they become brittle with age and break easily when trying to dismantle everything.

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Keith just left my shop not too long ago. He was quite happy. The engine sounded so much better. Idle was spot on. I will let him chime in on his thoughts. Anyone in the area want this done, let me know. We can knock these out quick and do them right. Mind you, Keith's CCV was only 7 months old. They never changed his hoses. The CCV had gunk built up inside it. Nothing too bad but 7 months? WOW.

When changing the CCV DO ALL THE HOSES!!!

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Keith just left my shop not too long ago. He was quite happy. The engine sounded so much better. Idle was spot on. I will let him chime in on his thoughts. Anyone in the area want this done, let me know. We can knock these out quick and do them right. Mind you, Keith's CCV was only 7 months old. They never changed his hoses. The CCV had gunk built up inside it. Nothing too bad but 7 months? WOW.

When changing the CCV DO ALL THE HOSES!!!

UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Update = Awesome Win

My symptoms before today's work: Car would have gook on the oil filler cap, a moist exhaust, loud idle audible in the cabin/or outside the car and when you removed the oil filler cap while the car was running...nothing happened.

My new reality after today's work: Car sounds extremely quiet at idle, the pressure is released. The throttle, rpm's are altered as there is now total smoothness throughout the entire range from 600rpms and upwards. If you try to remove the oil filler cap as the car is running there is now suction which can easily be felt...and when you remove the oil filler cap the engine gets upset with you.

My engine was retaining moisture. It could not exhale. The vacuum system was fubar.

My car at 70mph is silent, stealthy, super smooth. My oil filler cap is now spotless after driving five miles or seventy-five miles.

I changed my CCV about nine months ago, but not the hoses...today the hoses were clearly FILLED with mung/gook/crap. As I placed Sea Foam in the crankcase last week, it pushed sludge into my CCV system and over the edge. However, the vacuum system was failed before the Sea Foam. I Sea Foamed the engine hoping it'd remove sludge or moisture. The real issue was CCV Sytem failure.

Try this at home. Next time you vacuum the carpeting and the bag or cannister in the vacuum is completely filled...remember how the vacuum works? Then empty the bag or cannister, plug it in and then see how it works! This is what's going in with many, many, many BMW's and it's often a slow, silent killer.

I replaced my CCV last year for no reason other than knowing it was a smart thing to do. It was foolish not to do the hoses. They were filled with brown toothpaste...which FREEZES in the winter temps, rendering your vaccum system on fail alert.

Gumbi's father-in-law jumped on my car today. I arrived with tools, burgers and a grill. I expected to do the install and cook afterwards. Instead, he nailed it while I made killer bacon cheeseburgers. I had a great time in NJ today, Gumbi's men were all over the car.

Harry (thrilos5) stopped by. I adjusted his front door hinges and door jam/striker and they now sound exactly as BMW doors should sound when they close...Thhhdut. He enjoyed a burger too, God bless beef, bacon, bread and ketchup with soda that tastes like candy.

While Gumbi's father-in-law worked, he and I cleaned the throttle body, the ICV and the DISA Valve with the proper spray and TLC. My DISA Valve is now f-ing silent at idle. Before this repair it was quite loud at idle. I suggest all of you run out and make it a serious priority to replace your CCV valve (what the cats at BMW refer to as an Oil Seperator) and all of the hoses (don't cheap out like I did).

I thank poolman and many others who comforted me while I couldn't sleep at night, dwelling on my engine's woes. A screwed up vacuum system can take your engine and make it cranky, upset and possibly flat out miserable.
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 02-19-2009 at 08:32 PM.

My Cars
    00' 528i, 11' Legacy
    Damn you, good show!!!
    UNDER CONSTRUCTION

- 2000 528i Sport
    -
    Got any questions about my car? Feel free to PM me!

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by FP5241 View Post
    Damn you, good show!!!
    Dude, drive out this summer. Gumbi's peeps will tee off on your car. I'll sexify it with highspeed paintwork. Make a list of stuff and we'll pound it out.

My car drives like a ninja.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    BimmerFiver, did you end up using the Cold Weather CCV?

Glad to hear everything turned out good!

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    BimmerFiver, did you end up using the Cold Weather CCV?

Glad to hear everything turned out good!

Thanks!
    Jason
    And thanks to you and mmm635 for listening to me babble as my car was running poorly.

Yes, the winter CCV is in place, like the winter-version of the hoses, the CCV is encased in a rubber boot. I dunno if the winter CCV is different on the inside, I suppose it's just the rubber cover (which I do not see available by BMW for sale). This winter in NY was brutal (yet today is 55* and sunny ) but it's nice to know my CCV system is beefy and running perfectly.

Cars at idle have high vacuum and now my car starts up like a coked up Izzy Moreno of Miami Vice lore, but idles as smooth as Crockett, Tubbs or Han Solo in a deal about to go bad.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Cgx558wh7o[/ame]

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhybPYaX2iw[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmYLMjP4-Y&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqmYLMjP4-Y&feature=related[/ame]
    Last edited by bimmerfiver; 02-11-2009 at 11:01 AM.

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    Cold weather CCV comes with some cold weather hoses attached.

Here's the new style CCV
    http://www.eactuning.com/parts/produ...ls/11617534237

Jared
    "If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti"

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    Cold weather CCV comes with some cold weather hoses attached.

Here's the new style CCV
    www.eactuning.com/parts/product_details/11617534237

Jared
    Wow!
    That looks weird...
    LOL!
    I am guessing that the 2 hoses included on the unit are 2 less hoses I need to buy/ replace????

BimmerFiver, is this the same unit you used posted in Jared's link?

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    2003 530iA
    The cold climate version has all the updated parts in realoem as well

My Cars
    540i/6, 02 Excursion Pow
    RealOem doesn't show the updated kit. Just the original individual cold weather pieces that have always been there.

My Cars
    E70 | FZJ100 | Z31
    Good job!

There wouldn't happen to be an updated version for us V8 folks, would there? I'm having some oil leakage/idle weirdness that may be pointing to a failed CCV...maybe the vent tube at the throttle. I replaced my CCV and tube w/o-ring about 5k miles ago.

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by jnyost View Post
    RealOem doesn't show the updated kit. Just the original individual cold weather pieces that have always been there.
    So, is the dip stick tube included in the "updated" CCV cold weather version?
    Are you going to put together a list of parts, or a kit/ package?

Thanks!
    Jason

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast