Thread: Pass Emissions in WA w/ aftermarket headers & no Cat

My Cars
    E92 M3/E46 ZHP/E46 325i

Pass Emissions in WA w/ aftermarket headers & no Cat

Does anyone here know if you can pass emissions in WA with no catalytic converters and aftermarket headers?

I've heard that the AA software can circumvent the no cat error, but I'm wondering if the people at the emissions control place will still know when they plug into the car that there is a modified the exhaust system.

Thoughts/Experience?

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540iA
    The easiest way to pass emissions with that setup is to have it registered out in the boonies of washington where they don't care (thanks mom!).

Otherwise, I highly doubt its going to pass any emissions check with no cat. It's going to stink to high heaven.
    Cheers,

Paul

My Cars
    N/A
    You only have to pass a OBD2 readiness check. If you're throwing a CEL you will fail. If you aren't, then you will pass. There's no visual inspection, and they don't put a sniffer on OBD2 cars.

My Cars
    2006 Toyota Tundra
    Quote Originally Posted by BraveUlysses View Post
    You only have to pass a OBD2 readiness check. If you're throwing a CEL you will fail. If you aren't, then you will pass. There's no visual inspection, and they don't put a sniffer on OBD2 cars.
    True story. They didnt sniff the 330i in Philly and they have the fucking gayest emissions law know to god

My Cars
    E92 M3/E46 ZHP/E46 325i
    So they don't even measure anything then? Are you guys basically saying that it just needs to not throw a CEL in king county?

My Cars
    N/A
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedDemonAaron View Post
    So they don't even measure anything then? Are you guys basically saying that it just needs to not throw a CEL in king county?

My Cars
    E92 M3/E46 ZHP/E46 325i
    Doesn't the OBD II system tell the emissions place what your "post-cat" emissions levels are in an actual number by passing through the numbers received from the O2 sensors?

Couldn't you fail from these numbers being "too high"?

My Cars
    N/A
    It's JUST a CEL check. No sniffing or analysis of data at all.

If you clear your codes you'll still have to pass all the readiness checks before the system will give a OK when tested.

My Cars
    S/C'd ///M3, Daytona 675
    It's JUST a CEL check. No sniffing or analysis of data at all.

If you clear your codes you'll still have to pass all the readiness checks before the system will give a OK when tested.

Correct! I passed DEQ in Portland in my M3, and My S4. both cars had headers, and no CATS, but both had 02 sensor delete software.

My Cars
    2016 328i Sport
    ^Learn something new on here every day!!

My Cars
    E92 M3/E46 ZHP/E46 325i
    Great, well it looks like I'm looking at getting some headers, ceramic coating them, and then getting AA to flash my ECU.

My Cars
    M3, C6Z, D-Max
    Waiver form. That's your best bet. It costs like 2-300 bucks.

My Cars
    93 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by 350Zimo View Post
    Waiver form. That's your best bet. It costs like 2-300 bucks.
    there are a lot of stipulations involved with the waiver form. you have to have your emmissions system in tact, most shops will not even work on a car, especially and OBD2 car that does not have cats in place. for legal reasons.

Also your car cannot go through emmissions RIGHT after you reset the CEL, it will fail due to the time involved, you need to log like 150-200 miles of driving before the system will be reset and start looking for new codes again. (other than something serious which would set the light off right away, like if the post cat o2's were reading far too rich....

if you have software that will help the computer think the post cat o2 sensors are reading correctly then it should pass just fine. but be ready for a hassle if it does not.
    1993 BMW 325i-Track/1999 540i/6- Driver

My Cars
    M3, C6Z, D-Max
    Quote Originally Posted by ovlov28 View Post
    there are a lot of stipulations involved with the waiver form. you have to have your emmissions system in tact, most shops will not even work on a car, especially and OBD2 car that does not have cats in place. for legal reasons.

Also your car cannot go through emmissions RIGHT after you reset the CEL, it will fail due to the time involved, you need to log like 150-200 miles of driving before the system will be reset and start looking for new codes again. (other than something serious which would set the light off right away, like if the post cat o2's were reading far too rich....

if you have software that will help the computer think the post cat o2 sensors are reading correctly then it should pass just fine. but be ready for a hassle if it does not.
    not if the tech guy is your buddy.

My Cars
    E92 M3/E46 ZHP/E46 325i
    If anybody knows who might be willing to install these headers, then please PM me