Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW Updated Software: Turbo Lag

My Cars
    2007 335i and Turbo/Intercooled Avenger

BMW Updated Software: Turbo Lag

In November of 2008, Autoblog.com ran an article about a free software update for early 335 owners.

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/11/18/b...date-software/

I'll be taking my car in for service soon and wanted to see if anyone has taken advantage of this software update and what their thoughts are on it.

BMW North America Statement:

"In an effort to address specific noise concerns, BMW updated the turbocharged engine software on 335i/xi and 535i/xi models built from June 2006 through March 2008. The updated software causes a small amount of increased "turbocharger lag" under certain circumstances and, while not substantial, the lag may be perceptible to the most sensitive BMW drivers. X6, 135i, and 3 Series/5 Series vehicles from March 2008 production onward are not affected. Release of the new software to restore the original turbocharger response is planned for January 2009, and it will be available for vehicles produced from September 2007 through March 2008 when they are brought to an authorized BMW center for a repair which requires a programming update. Clients with vehicles produced from June 2006 through September 2007 may request installation of the January 2009 software update. Clients who get this update should understand that there is a possibility of slightly increased engine noise levels under certain circumstances."

My Cars
    E60, E46
    I hope this isn't just a false reason to get the update so as to lower the low end torque that has BMW worried about the longevity of the turbo engines. I remember someone posting a while back about getting a similar update, which made the car seem much slower. It reduced the torque at low revs so that there wouldn't be as much load on the engine.

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    This was to address the complaints. After the update I noticed the change and the sound difference. I'm almost at my year service and I'll ask to have it done.

My Cars
    E60, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by Beer Goggles View Post
    This was to address the complaints. After the update I noticed the change and the sound difference. I'm almost at my year service and I'll ask to have it done.

So this will be a second update on the same issue? Did the first update make it worse? My car was produced in Sept 07 as a 2008 model and I'm not sure whether to ask for the update. Everything seems okay as far as I can tell.

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit335 View Post
    So this will be a second update on the same issue? Did the first update make it worse? My car was produced in Sept 07 as a 2008 model and I'm not sure whether to ask for the update. Everything seems okay as far as I can tell.
    Yes, if I understand correctly, the 1st one was to fix some rattling noise reported by many but it introduced some benign lag that many others started complaining about. So I guess now they are offering to eliminate the lag and give you the noise back .
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    I had the first update where I felt a change in response and actually sound. I hear a buzz and rattle during acceleration that they didn't address, nothing serious but when I go back in I'll ask about the new update and see what's up with my little buzzer.

My Cars
    E60, E46
    So in my case I will not ask for one. I guess don't fix it if it ain't broken sort of thing.

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    Well when you bring it in for service it was an automatic update. So maybe they will give you the option of not having it.

My Cars
    2008 335i E90
    After reading the first sentence of BMW NA's statement, I (mis)interpreted it to mean that BMW was installing the software to correct the noise issue (which also induced turbo lag) at the factory for cars built between June 2006 and March 2008 (my 335i is a 3/08 build). I contacted the Service Director at my dealership who explained that this only effects BMW owners who had the software update installed by dealers to address specific noise complaints...or some other repair that required a reflash of the car's software. If the dealership hasn't done an update, the vehicle does not have the software that "fixes" the noise issue and creates the lag.

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but I wanted to share this info just in case anyone was confused (like me) and thought they needed the Jan 2009 software updated based solely on their car's build date.

My Cars
    07 335i Coupe 6MT
    The software update was the V29 or something that is pretty well documented on the other site.

My Cars
    E60 535i
    I was just in for my service and I did not get the new update, nor do I want it.. I have a Sep 07 build but im also a fan of the if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    Do I have turbo lag or don't I have turbo lag or is it the throttle response.. I don't know.. but what I do know is that my car runs fine and I can still juice on most cars on the road.

My Cars
    335xi71vette63Willys
    I have recently had an upload of the latest Progman version V32.1.0.2 .

I got my 2009 335xi E92 delivered to me on Dec 23rd 2008.
    It's build completion date was Nov 17th 2008 and it then was promptly shipped to Montreal.

When it was delivered the voice activation system function was not working. I decided to take it anyways and return in the new year to have it looked at.

After only 400 miles of driving , I returned last week to have the voice activation system looked at by the dealer/service dept.

During these 400 miles I really not discern a turbo lag issue, however I was driving it very modestly due break in period and the unbelievable amount of snow we have had in January.

The service department took 7 days to figure out and correct my issue.
    It required a new CIC ( computer) install and a complete software upload.
    I now have the newest version of Progman installed V32.1.0.2. and with it came a very pleasant surprise.

I can now hear a nice engine growl as I accelerate, kind of like I have the golf tee mod. There is also a noticeable difference in acceleration sensitivity. I guess I did have turbo lag but was not able to compare it to anything.
    2009 335xi Coupe, Space Grey Metalic, MT with Sports package (18") and Tinted Windows (+ Nav, Exec, Coldweather).

My Cars
    E60, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by sundancewind View Post
    I have recently had an upload of the latest Progman version V32.1.0.2 .

I got my 2009 335xi E92 delivered to me on Dec 23rd 2008.
    It's build completion date was Nov 17th 2008 and it then was promptly shipped to Montreal.

When it was delivered the voice activation system function was not working. I decided to take it anyways and return in the new year to have it looked at.

After only 400 miles of driving , I returned last week to have the voice activation system looked at by the dealer/service dept.

During these 400 miles I really not discern a turbo lag issue, however I was driving it very modestly due break in period and the unbelievable amount of snow we have had in January.

The service department took 7 days to figure out and correct my issue.
    It required a new CIC ( computer) install and a complete software upload.
    I now have the newest version of Progman installed V32.1.0.2. and with it came a very pleasant surprise.

I can now hear a nice engine growl as I accelerate, kind of like I have the golf tee mod. There is also a noticeable difference in acceleration sensitivity. I guess I did have turbo lag but was not able to compare it to anything.

It sounds like a good outcome. Why wouldn't they just update every e92 335 if it's a net improvement. From the threads above I was thinking my Sept 07 build didn't require an update but upon reading about your outcome I'm not so sure anymore.

My Cars
    MINI Cooper, Crossfire Roadster, (soon) BMW335i Co

335i turbo engine problems???

Just read in "Roundel", the mag for the BMWCCA, that there is an unannounced "upgrade" for the engine computer that affects how much boost the turbos produce and when it comes on-much later that the advertised 1400 RPM. Apparently there is a factory fault that affects the wastegates which requires this modification to the computer. The problem is-as was reported- that the mod badly affects perfomance There is supposed to be a more recent mod that restores performance, but I don't know by how much. My '08 335i convert has 7800 mi and will soon be going in for its first service, It runs perfectly now and I love the way it drives. I don't want or need any mod to the computer.

Has anyone else had this problem or knowledge of the issue. I'd appreciate any info or suggestions before I take my car in. Many thanks,

Howard
    Last edited by drgrey; 01-31-2009 at 12:58 AM.

My Cars
    2021 M550i Tanzanite Blu
    I would also be interested in hearing about this. In particular, which models are supposed to need the "upgrade".
    M550i Sedan; tanzanite blue/white Nappa leather (list of options coming soon).

Was: 335i Coupe; silver/dark AT with Sport and Premium pkgs, includes paddle shifters; brake booster valve replaced (twice now); oil cooler no longer a top priority.

My Cars
    '11 335i coupe M sport

Noise and software upgrade

I might have been one of the first. My 07 335i manual starting making a rattling noise upon mild de-acceleration with clutch depressed. Sounded as though something was loose. Initial diagnosis was that the waste-gates were rattling, this caused by vacuum hose(s) being pinched as they were routed too close to exhaust, and heat may have been causing a crimping. Since the waste gates are operated via vacuum....seemed a sensible solution. Re-routing the hoses did not however, fix the rattle. After another visit to dealer, got the software upgrade.....I have no noticeable turbo lag. If I do, it is so inconsequential as to not be readily noticeable, at least not as noteworthy as the waste-gate rattle, which sounded a lot like the heat baffles on the cats were falling off, or both license plates were dragging on the pavement. My dealer, in Solon, Ohio, really stuck with the problem until fixed. I was informed that they could not re-install or retro fit earlier software versions, and I have not pursued the veracity of that comment. Vehicle has 51k, gets 32 on the highway and 28 in the city, and runs like it just robbed a bank.
    david: '07 335i coupe Dinan S2 / '11 Scion tC / '08 Subaru Outback

My Cars
    E60, E46
    I took my car in for service and was told no upgrades, recalls etc... were offered for my car, a 2008 335 coupe with Sept 07 build date. I mentioned to the SA about the upgrade and told him the car seems fine, so he said don't mess with it then. It was like they never heard of it and had to check the computer for recalls on my particlular car. But I don't know how else it's supposed to feel since I never had any upgaded software nor any other issues. I don't really push the car hard so I wouldn't know if it did need an upgrade. I kind of agreed with the SA on the don't mess with it if it ain't broken, but curious to see where this goes and if there actually is an upgrade for my car that will make it run even better within factory parameters.

My Cars
    2004 330Ci
    If its not broke dont mess with it. Test drive an 09 version of your car and wot it, and then compare to your car.

My Cars
    335xi71vette63Willys
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj91 View Post
    If its not broke dont mess with it. Test drive an 09 version of your car and wot it, and then compare to your car.
    I thought having an 09 car I had the latest software ( build date Nov 2008) but I was mistaken. Due to my voice activation system not working they had to upload a later version and yes I did notice a difference in both accelerator sensitivity and turbo sound. I am very happy with what has been uploaded.
    2009 335xi Coupe, Space Grey Metalic, MT with Sports package (18") and Tinted Windows (+ Nav, Exec, Coldweather).

My Cars
    2018 M3, 1995 M3
    Vehicle has 51k, gets 32 on the highway and 28 in the city, and runs like it just robbed a bank.
    How do you get that kind of gas mileage? I get 18 in pure city driving and got about 26 on the highway at a steady 80mph driving the car up from Los Angeles.
    Kevin
    2018 M3 Comp Black sapphire, ivory
    '95 M3, Avus/Dove, MCS SA 550/650, Conforti intake/software, 24" inj, 3.5" HFM, 18x9 Apex ARC8
    Prior BMW's:
    '07 335i manual
    '91 M5 Alpine white/black
    '89 325i

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by 91M5 View Post
    How do you get that kind of gas mileage? I get 18 in pure city driving and got about 26 on the highway at a steady 80mph driving the car up from Los Angeles.
    I guess what some people call city driving is different from what other come to expect as city driving and to be honest there is no way to compare. I mean it all depends on how many stop lights/traffic lights are on your commute, the average stop duration and the average distance/speed between those stops. For example, city driving in Manhattan is no way like city driving on southern California city streets, heck those streets are better/wider than the highways in the east.
    That being said, my commute here is brutal on gas, lots of traffic lights that stay forever on red and not enough highway driving to make up the difference, so now in the winter , I am averaging just shy of 20mpg on my 323.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2018 M3, 1995 M3
    This guy's car is an awd 335i. Maybe they have 94 octane or something in Canada.
    Kevin
    2018 M3 Comp Black sapphire, ivory
    '95 M3, Avus/Dove, MCS SA 550/650, Conforti intake/software, 24" inj, 3.5" HFM, 18x9 Apex ARC8
    Prior BMW's:
    '07 335i manual
    '91 M5 Alpine white/black
    '89 325i

My Cars
    87 325ic,04 IS300 SD
    How can you check to see what software version you have? I have a 2008 335i with I-Drive. How do I check as I just got my first service and since then I do feel some turbo lag. I sure hope they didnt add the turbo lag software. How do I check this please?

Bump...Please help

Bump...Please help
    Last edited by IS300E30; 02-04-2009 at 01:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E60, E46
    Quote Originally Posted by IS300E30 View Post
    How can you check to see what software version you have? I have a 2008 335i with I-Drive. How do I check as I just got my first service and since then I do feel some turbo lag. I sure hope they didnt add the turbo lag software. How do I check this please?

Bump...Please help

Bump...Please help

How about asking the dealer that worked on your car.

My Cars
    87 325ic,04 IS300 SD
    Oh, I thought I could just see in the options of my I-Drive? Am I incorrect? I would actually have to bring it in to the dealership to know my software version?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast