Thread: E60 steering wheel has change in it!

My Cars
    2006 530xi

E60 steering wheel has change in it!

How do i remove the covers from my [COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important]steering [COLOR=blue ! important]wheel[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] of my 06 530xi? my daughter put change in between the cracks of it, and now when i turn the wheel it sounds like a slot machine!

Now it triggers the horn sometimes when i turn the wheel............

anyone?

How do i remove the covers from my steering wheel[COLOR=blue ! important][COLOR=blue ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR] of my 06 530xi? my daughter put change in between the cracks of it, and now when i turn the wheel it sounds like a slot machine!
    Last edited by trueaspect; 01-26-2009 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    07 530i, 04 CTS
    1. Turn vehicle upside down.
    2. Shake car like hell.
    3. Pray.

That is the best advice I can offer today.

My Cars
    2005 325Xi
    Look for a DIY of removing the airbag from the steering wheel, or maybe a DIY of removing the steering wheel itself (but stop after you get the airbag off).

I'm pretty sure you just have to take out 2 screws that are on the backside of the steering wheel. Probably they'll be "safety" torx bolts (torx bolts with a pin in the center), and of the t25 or so size.

Not sure on E60, but on E46, you have to turn the steering wheel 90 degrees from center to the left to remove one of the screws, and them turn it 90 degrees right of center to remove the other.

make sure you take out the key (at least) or disconnect the battery after you get the screws out and BEFORE you disconnect the airbag.
    Last edited by Critter7r; 01-29-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by B4SH View Post
    If anyone knows, it's this guy who knows literally nothing about everything.
    Quote Originally Posted by fcvapor05 View Post
    Do you even OT? The mean 401k around here is probably about $6, what with all the shiny cars and $1,000 watches and donations to get other members' Volvos running.

My Cars
    2000 528i, MT
    On the back side of the steering wheel, there are either two detents in the material on each spoke (left and right), or a single hole in the lower spoke (back side of the spoke). By pushing a 4-5" small flat-blade screwdriver into the hole (if bottom hole style) straight up, the airbag will pop loose. You may need to wiggle it a bit to get it free, but at that point you should be able to get the change out from behind it. Though it's done allllll dayyyyy longggg with the battery connected/key OUT, you should always disconnect the battery negative terminal before working on any airbag related system. For those that do work on an airbag or airbag related component with the battery connected, it would be wise to leave the driver door open, key out, for about 15 minutes prior to attempting the repair. If you disturb or 'wake' the car (closing the door, opening the door/turning the key on, moving the seat, whatever) with the airbag disconnected, a fault may be stored that would activate the airbag warning light. You'd then need to pay to have the light turned off. Be careful, either way. I've seen 2 disasters involving people not disconnecting the battery or turning the key on while working on an airbag system that turned out not so well.
    SOLD, again!! Good luck, Eric!! 6/10/2012
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic."