Thread: Dash indicator "two car" light...what is it?

My Cars
    540i 2002

Dash indicator "two car" light...what is it?

I have looked in the manual and in the forum and can't find what this thing is, anyone have an idea? 2002 540i6 sport

My Cars
    00' M5 | 06' 330i 6 Spd
    Is yours lit up? I noticed the outline of mine the other day, never been lit though.
    Could it be the back-up sensors that are an option on these cars?

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    That is the Active Cruise Control (ACC) light...which is for an option that wasn't available here in the states on the e39. But because it was offered as an option in other markets...the symbol is there on the instrument cluster.

(also take note that even the illustration is for the KH/M instrument cluster...not the MPH instrument cluster that we have here in the States)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-20-2009 at 06:08 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    Oxford 540i6 3/98
    WHERE WHERE WHERE DO YOU GET THIS STUFFFFF??????????

You never fail to blow my mind. No, a quick answer won't do.. you have to throw in an actual graphic showing what it looks like...

Seriously.. I don't know HOW you manage to do this.

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES, NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING .....BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

My Cars
    540i 2002
    Wow...you are the King! So if it is lit up what is it telling me...that ACC is on or off and how do I turn it off?

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Quote Originally Posted by biscuitnd View Post
    WHERE WHERE WHERE DO YOU GET THIS STUFFFFF??????????

You never fail to blow my mind. No, a quick answer won't do.. you have to throw in an actual graphic showing what it looks like...

Seriously.. I don't know HOW you manage to do this.
    It's because he is as old as the hills.
    Honestly, Q, I don't know how you manage to browse bimmerboard's forums. I can't stand that forum format.
    Quote Originally Posted by jenkaloaf View Post
    Wow...you are the King! So if it is lit up what is it telling me...that ACC is on or off and how do I turn it off?
    jenkaloaf,
    Welcome to the forums.
    Interesting that your ACC light is lit even though you can't possibly have that feature. I'm sure Q will be back with another interesting and fact filled response. He is amazing!!!

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    I would love to retrofit that feature. It really is handy. Have you guys ever seen it in action?

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    bmw 528i,
    I think Qsilver7 meant to put km/h which is kilometers/hour instesd of KH/M

(also take note that even the illustration is for the KH/M instrument cluster...not the MPH instrument cluster that we have here in the States)

[/quote]

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by gurmukhbhogal View Post

Thank you...you are correct...it should have been km/h

Quote Originally Posted by jenkaloaf
    ...So if it is lit up what is it telling me...that ACC is on or off and how do I turn it off?
    If you have ACC, just as it appears in the illustration, not only will the two car icon be illuminated...your (green) Cruise Control icon will be illuminated as well as the image in the 20 digit alpha/numeric display.

If you only have the two car icon illuminated...you're having some other electrical glitch.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    Subaru Baja + Lotus 7
    Quote Originally Posted by gurmukhbhogal View Post

[/quote]

i fail to see where this is of any issue at all..
    Putting things where they don't belong.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    I would love to retrofit that feature. It really is handy. Have you guys ever seen it in action?
    One of the active forum members (Edwin) on Bimmerboard's e38 forum and he posts sometimes here on the 7 series forum installed this on his car. He's lives in the Netherlands but visits the States. I believe he has a video on Youtube. Let me see if I can find it.

Here is Edwin's instructions on how ACC works:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO5AdLOXeWs[/ame]
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-21-2009 at 10:07 AM.

My Cars
    540i 2002
    I have the MPH cluster and that light is the only that is lit. I was playing with the stability control when it lit. Thanks for the welcome and the info.

My Cars
    01 540i 97 e320
    How do you turn it off??? I don't know why would it even turn on.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Were you able to watch the video in post #11? ACC can't be activated until the Cruise Control is turned on. Edwin explains how to turn it on within the first 30 seconds of the video.

Turning off ACC is as simple as turning off your CC. None of the other lights associated with ACC, on the cluster, should illuminate or can be activated unless CC has been initiated. The two-car icon...and the two cars in the Check Control Display only illuminate when a car pulls in front of the sensors...and when you change the distance you want between you and another car.

Again, if you watch the video, Edwin does a thorough job in explaining how the system works.

If you're referring to the original poster...obviously there is some electrical glitch with his IKE (instrument cluster). Not sure what it is or why that light is illuminating....but unless a previous owner purchased the system from overseas and installed it...that option was never offered here in the States.
    Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-21-2009 at 07:02 PM.

My Cars
    E39 ///M5
    i cant believe this! i thought merc was the first to do this with the new s class. god bmw ftw.

2000 Schwartz II M5-|Bilstein|H&R|ZHP|Dinan|

"Speed has never killed anyone...Suddenly becoming stationary...That's what gets you" - J. Clarkson

My Cars
    01 540i 97 e320
    Qsilver you are absolutely right...my car does not have that option but it does have the two car light, for some reason I was messing with the check control and came on.

disconnected the battery for a few sec and it went away

My Cars
    '84 M635CSi, '86 M5, '99 540i/6, '04 XC70
    OK. So what is the one to the right of the e-brake light? Looks like the side view of a car with an arrow through it.
    Jay
    '84 M635CSi
    '86 M5
    '88 325i Cabrio

My Cars
    2015 BMW X5 x35d
    auto leveling suspension i believe

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by e39Ju View Post
    Qsilver you are absolutely right...my car does not have that option but it does have the two car light, for some reason I was messing with the check control and came on.

disconnected the battery for a few sec and it went away
    Cool! So the old fashioned reset (undo the battery) fixed the glitch.

Quote Originally Posted by JayM View Post
    OK. So what is the one to the right of the e-brake light (did you mean the TRACTION CONTROL Light)? Looks like the side view of a car with an arrow through it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dinanmite530i View Post
    auto leveling suspension i believe
    BINGO! ... dinanmite530i you believed correctly. See the 4th description in the left column in the image below from the owners manual.

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-22-2009 at 12:18 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost