Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast

Thread: FrankenBimmer E36 M3 LS 427 (a.k.a. Scooter's Vorshlag Beta)

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 427 c.i.

FrankenBimmer E36 M3 LS 427 (a.k.a. Scooter's Vorshlag Beta)

I am Scooter Glass, driver, test driver, designer, project manager and owner of the FrankenBimmer M3 427. This thread will disperse our swap, testing and road race information on the Chevy LS V8 engine swaps into the BMW E36 M3.

I AM NOT A PROFESSIONAL FABRICATOR OR SHOP OWNER/MECHANIC (disclosure done). If you are not either, and you want this swap to be road race worthy...RULE NUMBER ONE...get some very serious help!!!!! THIS IS NOT A DO-IT-YOURSELF PROJECT...REPEAT THAT. You should also be very patient and ready to spend some money. If you do, you will be heartily rewarded. If not, get a 2003 Z06 Corvette...you won't be faster or have near as much fun...but you will be happier.

I run DE's...No Rules, Dude!!! I want to be able to build and run anything I can dream up. In the top DE class and instructor class I run in, there are lots of excellent drivers and serious equipment. FrankenBimmer's running gear / chassis / roll cage / safety equipment are all designed and built to handle 1000 rwhp. We started with 400 rwhp LS-1 engine...that is definitely not enough!!!! This is a no-holds-barred project to find the outer limits of the E36 M3, which I believe is the greatest and most forgiving sports racing sedan ever built.

Ran 2008 with a 400 rwhp LS-1. Currently swapping that for the HKE bored and stroked L92 (LS based) 427 c.i. engine with estimated 550+rwhp and 550+ rear wheel torque. We will start there and go up. Dallas Performance does swaps and fabrication and Eurosport Plano does sorting and race prep.

Test info, what works and what doesnt, track pics and in-car-video forthcoming. More to follow..........
    Last edited by cglass8444; 01-11-2009 at 12:25 AM.

My Cars
    2005 Mini Cooper S EB/B, 1985 318i
    Oh you cant stop there with no pics or videos. Now im all hot and bothered. lol.

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Post pictures when you get them.
    Last edited by rao; 01-11-2009 at 04:52 PM.
    Rob
    Prior projects:
    1998 540i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy Power
    - pictures and details
    1992 325i with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details
    1995 M3 with 6.6 LS2/T56 Chevy power - pictures and details

My Cars
    E46 323i
    Any reason why you chose the L92 instead of the LS7? I know the iron blocks are less expensive, but for your application the weight would seem to be worth the price difference.

Best of luck with the builds, I don't know if or how I can help but I'd love to if I could.

- Subscribed -

llegos is offline Internet Superhero BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2004 330i ZHP
    do you have any sort of widebody or something, because running 245s and 255s wont be sufficient with that power.

My Cars
    95 M3 6.0 Litre
    I am also waiting for photos and videos

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 427 c.i.
    As soon as I learn how to compress pictures...I have some great ones at Texas World Speedway in 2008...and in-car-video is coming for 2009. Hopefully this attachment of the build spreadsheet will answer alot of questions like block and heads are aluminum and 255 tires?????? Hardly!!!!!! Try 285/30/18 and 315/30/18 Hoosier R6's on CCW's...as you will see below, we did not shortcut any pieces...last step will be testing differentials, still have an E36 M3 diff with brace in car for initial 427 testing. Either a Ford Cobra 8.8 or one of the Dana diffs...it will be uber strong at a minimum.

Weight right now is 2900 pounds and should hit 2800 pounds after 427 swap. You gotta have the aluminum block and heads to do this...don't try the iron blocks...way too heavy for road race application.

As you will see below, we don't play favorites with vendors...we get what works and throw out what doesn't...and we have tossed some parts I tell ya!!!!

This is the setup after about 8 months of road race testing in 2008...2009 is really gonna be fun!!!!!!!!!!! More refinements and 427!!!!!!

Enjoy...spreadsheet didn't copy too well, but you will get the general idea.

STAGE TWO FRANKENBIMMER M3 427

VENDORENGINE6.2 L L 92 ENGINE (new) 427 cubic inch aluminum block/headsH K Enterprises 11.25 : 1 compression ratio (naturally aspirated) Bored and stroked to 427 ciH K Enterprises Lifters / cam / forged crank combinationH K Enterprises A.R.E. Stage III dry sump oil pan & pump w/ oil cooler & 3 gallon tankDallas PerformanceLS3 intake manifold & fuel railsDallas PerformanceSiemens Deka Fuel Injectors 60lb/hr @ 3 bar short designDallas PerformanceFast 92MM throttle bodyDallas PerformanceEagle LS1 crank (4.100) & H -beam rodsDallas PerformanceWiseco pistons (4.070) & GFX ringsH K Enterprises WCCH L92 heads w/Patriot X-Treme springs H K Enterprises ARP hardware throughoutH K Enterprises Custom HKE cam LS1 238/250 113+3 H K Enterprises Morel LS1 hydraulic roller lifters/Manton custom pushrods/GM rocker armsH K Enterprises Aeromotive AN-6 port EFI Adjustable Regulator & hardware / quick disconnectDallas Performance255 LHP High Flow fuel pumpDallas Performance5 pin MAF connectorDallas PerformanceOBD II connector for harnessDallas PerformanceCold air intake w/ Dallas Performance design K&N filterDallas PerformanceTaylor Thundervolt 10.4mm Black ignition wires w/heat coversDallas PerformanceNumerous custom hoses and connectionsDallas PerformanceNew Water pump/main bearing seal/Aeromotive fuel check valveDallas PerformanceNew GM alternatorDallas PerformanceSolid serpentine belt tensioner (locked) & Gatorback beltDallas PerformanceFuel starvation kitBimmerworldEXHAUST & VORSHLAG SWAP KITLong tube headers (custom fit) / parts / in swap kit totalDallas PerformanceMotor mounts/trans mount/steering shaft/driveshaft (swap kit)Dallas PerformanceDual collectors to single 3.5" stainless pipe / new oxygen sensorsDallas Performance3.5" Magnaflow Polished SS MufflerDallas PerformanceDRIVELINET56 6-speed manual trans…rebuild and micro polishDallas PerformanceGM T-56 slave cylinderDallas PerformanceSS braided hydraulic lines for slave cyl with remote quick release & reserviorDallas PerformanceRebuilt driveline components & driveshaft (custom)Dallas PerformancePro 5.0 shifterwith orig transFord 8.8 or Dana differential (in testing soon)Dallas PerformanceMcCloud dual plate clutch & flywheelDallas PerformanceSUSPENSION / STEERINGCoil Over shocks (3-way comp/rebound and height adjustable ft. & rr.) AST/EibachVorshlag AST / EibachSprings 684# ft. AST 800# rr. EibachVorshlag AST / EibachSway bar- "Heavy" hollow front sway bar (adjustable)Ground ControlSway bar - "Medium" solid rear torsion bar (adjustable)Ground ControlAdjustable sway bar linkages (solid bushing)Ground ControlFront strut tower stabilizer bar - adjustableVorshlag/MasonE36 M3 steel control arms with heavy duty bushingBMWSolid front control arm bushingsVorshlagPoly rear control arm bushingsVorshlagX- Brace undercarriage braceDallas PerformanceAdjustable front camber platesVorshlagAdjustable rear control arms (aluminum)Dallas Performance/VorshlagM3 salvage source car…all M3 components and rear clipMatthew's AutoNew tie rod ends, etc All front and rear bushings replacedBMW / EurosportZ3 steering rack (1997)BMWCOOLINGRon Davis Custom dual pass large core radiator (50% more capacity) with fanRon Davis RacingBMW Euro M3 radiator reservior tankEuropsort16" Electric fan…built in on Ron Davis unitDallas Performance160 degree thermostatDallas PerformanceLUBRICANTSMobil 1 5W-30 synthetic (Eric says run 10W-30)MobilSuper Blue Hi-Performance brake fluid (DOT 5)Super BlueClutch fluid DOT 3 (must be DOT 3)GenericAMSOIL synthetic syncromesh trans fluid (MTF)AmsoilEngine / Radiator Distilled WaterGenericPower steering fluid Standard GMGMDifferential Standard gear lube with GM friction modifierGeneric & GMBRAKESStop Tech M3 front & rear slotted rotors Big Brake Kit (355 mm ft & 332 mm rr) STOP TECHStop Tech 4 piston ft & 4 piston rr Calipers (red) STOP TECHPagid black Race brake pads frontSTOP TECHPagid orange Race brake pads rearSTOP TECHEarl's stainless braided brake lines (StopTech)STOP TECHAdditional 4 inch front brake cooling ductsDallas PerformanceUpgrade master cylinder and entire system…1995 M3 setupBMWM3 ABS computerBMWHydro ABS unit…tested as is…do not needBMWBODY / AEROM3 front bumper valance and lip & JT Design underbody pan & grillesApexcone/JT Design/EurosportRoll wheel wells / will build rear flare lipsDallas PerformanceNew windshieldDallas PerformanceWeld in sunroof & prep for paintDallas PerformanceBasic clean up, remove window tint Dallas PerformanceEngine compartment hood insert, cowl and weatherstrippingBMWLIGHTS / SAFETYHi-Perf Xenon low / high headlightsUmnitzaItalian air hornsGROITSSafecraft LT5 SF1 approved fire suppression system (2 engine/ 1 interior locations)Dallas PerformanceWHEELS / TIRESD-Force 18x10 LTW black inset / polished lip wheels (street)VORSHLAGStreet tires: 285/30/18 Z Rated street tiresDiscount Tire18 x 10 ft. & 18 x 11 rr CCW (track)CCW/Dallas PerformanceTrack tires: 285 & 315/30ZR/18 R compound Hoosier R6TIRE RACK90mm wheel stud kitEUROSPORTINTERIORWeld in roll cage (10 point) / subframe connectors and frame reinforcement withDallas Performance floor and susp. Reinforcements with rear tower brace and reinforcement. Setup for true rear coilovers / additional reinforcement.Subframe and swaybar reinforcementsDallas PerformanceHeadliner (non-sunroof)/ A/B/C pillars & rear deckBMWSparco Evo III XL seats SparcoSeats mounting / slider bracketsSparcoSimpson 5 point racing harnesses (latch type)SimpsonSteering wheel…flat bottom Sparco with ball bearing quick release & horn buttonsSparcoScanGuage II DisplayDallas PerformancePull AC/heater assembliesDallas Performance
    Last edited by cglass8444; 01-12-2009 at 01:02 AM.

My Cars
    Mazda Tribute 1000whp
    Here some pictures for you guys.

My Cars
    SOLD
    Any plans for a nice wide body kit?

My Cars
    swapped
    Goddamn that thing looks MEAN. I bet it's an absolute animal at the track.

My Cars
    97M3.4.5,EG,YZF
    Rollin on......dayton's?

My Cars
    Here are some of your pictures you wanted uploaded Scooter:

Just for clarification your engine is a LS3 block honed to a finished bore of 4.070" with a 4.1" crank which yields 427 cid. Your heads are CNC L92 and intake is LS3...

Also doing a custom ARE based dry sump!
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Audi RS6 C6 (2009)
    well I must say that M3 must really go hard.....

would be good to see some interior and also engine bay shots if that is possible

my project has now gotten underway

E36 M3 1994, completely stripped out interior, full respray (orange) full cage (CAMS compliant), recaro's (being fitted as I report), coil overs, AP racing rotors, diff cooler, stainless braided everything

We have also removed anything that does not add power, or conversely if it does not contribute to speed - delete.

Therefore aircon is gone, power windows gone, carpets gone, all lining gone, airbags gone, all engine anciliaries that once were driven off the engine belt are now electrical. The list goes on and on.

We are now fabricating engine mounts for brand new LS3 (head/cams/airflow -dynoed at 580hp at crank) with new T56.

Full rewiring of entire car is then next with latest race technology Windows based Milspec gear (released in beta form in December for race industry). Car will be managed by Motec with full dispay.

Might start a new thread for this car and start posting some photos.

Could have done a conversion into a myriad of other cars, but the thought of hearly 600hp into 1,150kg body with nice balance and top notch engineering was too much.

The boys in the shop are working on all sorts of cars, from BB Chevy pickups, to Carbon Bodied Lotus', custom Commodores, rally Evo's, etc, etc, this is the car they really love the most.........

best for now

Dave

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 427 c.i.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taylor at DP View Post
    Here are some of your pictures you wanted uploaded Scooter:

Just for clarification your engine is a LS3 block honed to a finished bore of 4.070" with a 4.1" crank which yields 427 cid. Your heads are CNC L92 and intake is LS3...

Also doing a custom ARE based dry sump!
    Thanks Taylor...I'll shoot you the one at TWS with the GT3 Porsches to post...gotta learn how to compress pics!!!

Quote Originally Posted by storageking View Post
    well I must say that M3 must really go hard.....

would be good to see some interior and also engine bay shots if that is possible

my project has now gotten underway

E36 M3 1994, completely stripped out interior, full respray (orange) full cage (CAMS compliant), recaro's (being fitted as I report), coil overs, AP racing rotors, diff cooler, stainless braided everything

We have also removed anything that does not add power, or conversely if it does not contribute to speed - delete.

Therefore aircon is gone, power windows gone, carpets gone, all lining gone, airbags gone, all engine anciliaries that once were driven off the engine belt are now electrical. The list goes on and on.

We are now fabricating engine mounts for brand new LS3 (head/cams/airflow -dynoed at 580hp at crank) with new T56.

Full rewiring of entire car is then next with latest race technology Windows based Milspec gear (released in beta form in December for race industry). Car will be managed by Motec with full dispay.

Might start a new thread for this car and start posting some photos.

Could have done a conversion into a myriad of other cars, but the thought of hearly 600hp into 1,150kg body with nice balance and top notch engineering was too much.

The boys in the shop are working on all sorts of cars, from BB Chevy pickups, to Carbon Bodied Lotus', custom Commodores, rally Evo's, etc, etc, this is the car they really love the most.........

best for now

Dave
    God love the Aussies...ya'll put V8's in everything!!!! Great to know a well built 600 hp V8 M3 is gonna run down under...you are gonna love it!!!!!! Always knew Aussies and Texans had alot in common. But, how could you NOT love a 600 hp V8 M3!!!!! Yours sounds like a really sweet car. Can't wait to see pics and your new thread. Scooter
    Last edited by cglass8444; 01-13-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Dry sump mock up...
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    Audi RS6 C6 (2009)
    I have a new thread for my E36 LS3 project now

Will get some pics sorted this week

Went down to the shop this afternoon and saw my mate who's building it for me......he has started working on me to ditch the T56 box and put in a Holinger S6 sequential box. These are the same boxes they use in the V8 Supercar series over here. Problem is they are about 25 grand........maybe once its on the road it might get one for it's first birthday

Cheers for now,

Dave

p.s. I love Texas - in fact my favourite all time TV character is JR Ewing - what a guy!

My Cars
    are slow.
    please TT the big block
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 427 c.i.

Ls-1 out / 427 in

Went by Dallas Performance tonight and FrankenBimmer was in the air on the lift with the LS-1 out. Jeremy was directly underneath on the shop floor with the front crossmember and front suspension...and a 427 nestled in place (initial fitting)!!!!!!!!! A sight to behold!!!! Getting ready for Texas World Speedway with The Drivers Edge on March 21-22. Lots more to follow...2009 is gonna be awesome!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    96 Ti, 06 Frontier
    Quote Originally Posted by Hova View Post
    please TT the big block
    might look like a big block, but it is a stroked LS based small block
    Last edited by Redy 318Ti; 03-30-2009 at 02:18 PM.
    - - - - - - - -
    Dustin
    '96 BMW cali-top 318Ti
    '06 Nissan Frontier

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 427 c.i.

Maiden voyage at tws

Last week made the first "breakin" run at Texas World Speedway 2.9 mile road course and it went went relatively smooth (still have some altenator issues). Made 6 of 8 runs and the FrankenBimmer M3 was awesome. Even on a very conservative tune (520 rwhp) the 427 LS3 roared and pulls EVERYWHERE!!!!!! I never look at speedometer, but top speed at 5100 rpm in 5th gear down the main banked straight calculated somewhere between 163 and 173 mph (3:23 to 1 E36 LSD diff, 315/30/18 rear tires, 5100 rpm, 5th gear...not sure of specific ratio on this T56 Chevy trans, hence 163-173 mph range). And this was the "shakedown/testing weekend". Testing continues.

Went to Motorsport Ranch yesterday for BMWCCA two day DE...made a few warmup laps and motor died...no fuel pressure. We had put in two in-tank fuel pumps and believe we fried wiring. VERY SHORT weekend. Back to the shop to sort out some of this foolishness...then back to the track for more testing and DE's. Stay tuned.

My Cars
    357is (e30 w/LS1)
    FBody T56 ratios for 5th are .73 or .62 overdrive, and 6th is .50 You should have some pretty long legs with the 427!

E30-LS1 Swap Guide and Kits, email us at e30ls1@gmail.com !!! or check our website e30ls1.wordpress.com

My Cars
    96 Ti, 06 Frontier
    i was about to say, i was down there at MSR mid day on saturday and all day sunday.. didnt see you. sorry to hear of your troubles perhaps you'll be out on track soon
    - - - - - - - -
    Dustin
    '96 BMW cali-top 318Ti
    '06 Nissan Frontier

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 427 c.i.
    Quote Originally Posted by Redy 318Ti View Post
    i was about to say, i was down there at MSR mid day on saturday and all day sunday.. didnt see you. sorry to hear of your troubles perhaps you'll be out on track soon
    No worries!!! Just got everything sorted out with electricals and fuel delivery...ready for testing...probably some MSR member days, possible Porsche event on 3.1 mile MSR 4/25-26 and definitely Texas World Drivers Edge 6/8-9 and Texas Motor Roval Sat night Drivers Edge August 8.

Aero / body / underpan coming up...hell, might even paint something!!!!

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 427 c.i.
    Well, the E36 M3 diff let loose yesterday...already have the car over at Dallas Performance and studying Ford 8.8 and Dana conversions. Hope to have design done over the next 30 days, start rounding up parts and be testing again in 60-90 days...more to follow!!!!!

P,S. This car is just stupid fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My Cars
    '85 twin turbo E30 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by cglass8444 View Post
    Well, the E36 M3 diff let loose yesterday...already have the car over at Dallas Performance and studying Ford 8.8 and Dana conversions. Hope to have design done over the next 30 days, start rounding up parts and be testing again in 60-90 days...more to follow!!!!!

P,S. This car is just stupid fast!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Are you running the Medium case (188mm) diff still?? or already gone to the M3 Euro big case diff (210mm)??

Any more recent pics?

Page 1 of 9 123456789 LastLast