RM European Auto Parts

Thread: 740il 4.4 timing marks

My Cars
    328i

740il 4.4 timing marks

Can any one help me with were the timing marks are when doing a chain replacement. Thanks

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    No timing marks: you need to use the series of special tools to lock the camshafts and crankshaft into place, then set the vanos.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471

My Cars
    328i
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    No timing marks: you need to use the series of special tools to lock the camshafts and crankshaft into place, then set the vanos.
    Any more info on the tools?

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    and if it is a M62tu eng you will need a volt/ohm meter to set vanos also.

the tools he is refering to is cam blocks, they hold teh cam in place at the rear of the cam and attach to the head. the crank tool is a rod that goes into the flywheel, by way of a hole in the bellhousing to hold the crankshaft.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Then there's also the timing chain tensioning tool, and the cam sensor alignment tools (2). Total tool cost about $650-800 for the set. Year of the car?

I checked the tool set at my work today, it's made by Baum Tools/
    Last edited by bmwdirtracer; 01-02-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    328i
    Thanks for your help I was able to get the tools to lock the cam and crank but can't find any one with the inpulse (cam sensors pick up wheel) wheel line up tools. Does any one have a pic of these motors on tdc so I can try to line these up by eye.

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Don't do it, man. Factory wouldn't have made the tools were it possible to do it by eye. Do you have the tool to tension the timing chain while setting the VANOS with your multimeter? Really, this job should not be attempted unless you're prepared to completely follow the directions, if you try, you'll likely trash the motor.

Chris Powell
    BMWCCA 274412

My Cars
    328i
    I have the all the tools for for the chain set-up but don't have the impulse wheel ajuster. From what I read this is how the ecm sets spark timing and vanos ajustment but has no effect on the cam to crank timing. So at worst it will not fire or run bad. If I could find the tool I would use it. All it is a hall effect and it is looking for openings in the wheel to see a square wave pattern. So there should be away to set it at TDC. If any one has a link to the tool or a pick of the motor on TDC. Thanks