Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY on the Notorious Seat Switch

My Cars
    540i, 62 lincoln continental, 04 gsxr 750 01 STS

DIY on the Notorious Seat Switch

Hey everyone I have a 97 e39 and I am trying to replace the drivers side seat switch anyone out there have some diy pics or tips or pitfalls to avoid? Thanks

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i

Here..I'll put a DIY write up together for you now on how to change the seat switch

The first six images below belong to Bluebee from Bimmerfest (as Aretha sang in R-E-S-E-P-C-T...gotta give Bluebee her props ).

To replace the seat switch, you must remove the lower seat cover (not sure if you realize this or if you're even asking how to remove the cover...but oh well).

The seat cover is held on by two #30 torx screws (one in front, one midway back where the seat belt slides thru the cover...usually hidden by a tuft of the seat's leather) and three pop rivets.

Removal of the two torx screws:
    -

(2 Torx screws - see the blue circles in image below) & (3 black rivets (see red boxes in image below):

Once you get the seat cover off...the seat switch is easy to access...it's the big black module (in the last of bluebees' pics) below...it's also the module you removed the buttons off of in the first step...and you can see that her module has broken around the area where the electrical harness hooks up:

To remove the harness (if the white lever is still intact) follow the instruction in my image below:

And you can in the image below, the module has a tendency to break pretty much in the same location once the seat cover (surround) breaks away from the seat. The switch below is broken in the same place as Bluebee's switch in the previous pics seen above:

And as Bluebee warns in her pics...be careful when prying the buttons off...pull outward on them...if you twist them, the black sleeves that the seat buttons secure themselves to...can break off...and if they do...you will have to buy a new switch because the buttons will NOT stay attached to the white skeleton beneath the black sleeves (see my broken seat switch below with the white skeleton part left). The switch will still work when you press the "skeleton"...but the seat buttons will NOT attach.

(broken "black sleeves" revealing the "white skeleton" beneath)

Last edited by Qsilver7; 01-01-2009 at 12:20 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

2015 650ix GC (Moonstone/Cohiba Brown) <<~>> 2014 X5 50i (Space Gray/Mocha)

My Cars
    98 540iA (Prd 11/97)
    Nice DIY, Q!!!
    Last edited by jamesdc4; 10-19-2009 at 04:16 AM.

My Cars
    97' 540i

very good

My new switch covers have been in my trunk for like 3 months... i might just install these tomorrow!!

My Cars
    98 BMW 528i
    And you can in the image below, the module has a tendency to break pretty much in the same location once the seat cover (surround) breaks away from the seat. The switch below is broken in the same place as Bluebee's switch in the previous pics seen above:
    If it breaks like that you must get a new switch, correct?

My Cars
    330XI, Porsche 944
    Extremely helpful...thanks for posting!

My Cars
    530iA
    OK...somehow my wife slipped and fell getting out of my e39 a while ago. When falling, she managed to shear-off the plastic sleeve and button that controls the seat-back and headrest....only the skeleton remains. So I gather from this thread that I need a new switch.

Where can I get a replacement? Part number?
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    OK...somehow my wife slipped and fell getting out of my e39 a while ago. When falling, she managed to shear-off the plastic sleeve and button that controls the seat-back and headrest....only the skeleton remains. So I gather from this thread that I need a new switch.

Where can I get a replacement? Part number?
    Hi,
    Sorry to hear that you wife slipped like that, I hope she wasn't hurt too bad. But this is a really easy repair...but could be more expensive than difficult...especially if you have to end up purchasing a new switch.

You could save some money if you could find a used switch from either an e39 or e38 (driver's seat) in a junk yard or someone parting out their wrecked 5 or 7 series. If you're handy and the switch comes out of either of those models and the build date is BEFORE 9/97...you'll want to open up both switches and remove the black plastic "sleeve" that covers the "skeleton" and swap it onto your exposed skeleton on your switch. That way you'll retain the convenience exit feature where the wheel moves upward as you exit the car. The switches used before 9/97 will work, but they don't have that exit feature.

FYI:
    the black plastic that cover's the white skeleton that is exposed in your pic is NOT bolted or screwed on...the black plastic "sleeve" just slides over the white skeleton and is held in place because it is sandwiched between the wall of the switch and the innards (circuit board). So if you could find an old/used seat switch, all you need is that sleeve and you could save yourself a lot of money. And no matter what you try, the button will not stay on the skeleton without that black plastic sleeve. You'll probably wind up losing the button if you try to stick it back onto the switch with out that black plastic sleeve covering the skeleton.

As you could see in the old "seat switch thread"...the switch is the large black rectangular one in all those imges that have the broken electrical connector. The switch contains the buttons for the seat bottom and seat back. The diagram and part nbrs can be found in two places in the online part databases...there's a diagram in the SEAT section and in the VEHICLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS:
    1. item #7 in the vehicle electrical system diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...61&fg=35&hl=60
    2. item #2 in the seat diagram: http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...52&fg=25&hl=10

The part that is broken on your seat switch (from the pic you posted in the other thread) is the one on the right side of the switch (#7 in diagram below):

EDIT:
    I pulled out the memory stick in my camera to see if I had more pics of my old broken switch and found these pics that may further enlighten the situation you're in.

The pic on the left shows a broken bottom seat button with a broken & exposed skeleton as it appears in place, & the pic on the right shows what the switch looks like when removed from the seat cover. Your situation is the opposite...but both buttons are part of the same switch:

-

Last edited by Qsilver7; 10-24-2009 at 03:27 PM.
    Become a BMW CCA member! Click HERE to join and feel free to use my BMW CCA member #191509 as a referral.

My Cars
    528i

Question Seat cover swap out

A few questions about the removal of the old seat cover. There isn't anything wrong with my switch - just want to replace the cover with a fresh one. 1. Do the black expanding clips come out easy? 2. Once all the "fasteners" are removed, does the switch have to be removed from the old cover? Because someone posted, "the module has a tendency to break pretty much in the same location once the seat cover (surround) breaks away" I don't want my switch to break.

My Cars
    05/2003 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by sdw2000528i View Post
    A few questions about the removal of the old seat cover. There isn't anything wrong with my switch - just want to replace the cover with a fresh one. 1. Do the black expanding clips come out easy? 2. Once all the "fasteners" are removed, does the switch have to be removed from the old cover? Because someone posted, "the module has a tendency to break pretty much in the same location once the seat cover (surround) breaks away" I don't want my switch to break.
    I will be replacing the plastic piece that broke within the switch and also replacing my seat cover soon. I will post up picks. To answer your question the switch is contained within the cover and the plastic rivets come out easy IF you have a trim removal tool otherwise its a pita! although still possible

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    This is good info. I will need to replace my lower seat cover soon... !

My Cars
    2002 BMW M5
    Quote Originally Posted by allamer35 View Post
    I will be replacing the plastic piece that broke within the switch and also replacing my seat cover soon. I will post up picks. To answer your question the switch is contained within the cover and the plastic rivets come out easy IF you have a trim removal tool otherwise its a pita! although still possible
    What rim removal piece do you have/use or suggest?? I will be buying the Bavarian Soundwerks kit soon & I have the Bavarian AutoSport kit but a few of the tools broke on me already..

My Cars
    05/2003 530i Sport

The Yellow Tool Here

Im still getting around to doing this repair. I plan on going by a "pick a part" place to get the small plastic broken tab that's within the switch. If I find the side seat cover in good condition I pick that up too. If not Ill get it at eactuning.com, autohausaz.com, or eeuroparts.com.
    Last edited by allamer35; 03-29-2010 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    03 525iT 05 330Ci Cab
    those are the highly vented ///M seats there ^

My Cars
    Good DIY! This was a PITA to remove, i think once you remove it you better have another cover lined up as i don't see how once can remove it in one piece especially being in a tight place.

Mine was broken from both screw locations and the middle tab underneath. Unfortunately i still haven't removed the middle tab and the last tab towards the back of the seat took a lot of pushing and prying to get out in pieces at that.

My module seems to be in good shape except for the harness clip which is broken but i don't think it's a big deal.

Switches and everything in one piece... i think this is going to be a preventative replacement for sure.

ANyone have pic to the supporting plate?

Number 5 here

I would like to see if mine is broken or in one piece looks broken ...

Do the blank inserts come with the seat piece or they are extra?
    Last edited by porksoda; 05-05-2010 at 09:13 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1994 325i Convert
    Good post. I know what I am doing the next weekend.

My Cars
    15 650ix GC & 14 X5 50i
    Quote Originally Posted by porksoda View Post
    ...Do the blank inserts come with the seat piece or they are extra?

[/URL]
    Do you mean items #7 in the diagram you posted?

If so, I don't think they come with the covers (#6) anymore and are extra...but all you need to do is SAVE them from your old cover and install them in your new replacement cover.

My Cars
    1999 528i Touring
    Awesome post... replacement went smoothly except the head popped off one of the black clips during removal. Does anyone have the part# handy for the black expanding clips?

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by Qsilver7 View Post
    Do you mean items #7 in the diagram you posted?

If so, I don't think they come with the covers (#6) anymore and are extra...but all you need to do is SAVE them from your old cover and install them in your new replacement cover.
    no i mean number 5 the supporting plate... which is inserted into the seat and it slides onto the outer cover... if you look at the back of the outer cover you see where it slides onto and clamps on and then when you mount it onto the car it snaps onto the corresponding square hole.

Also note after taking these outer covers out... if you are not careful chances are you need the supporting plate for sure i have not been able to take one of these covers out without breaking the supporting plate.

Also another note if one is going in to replace the control module and you have not removed the outer cover first chances are you will end up breaking part of it or all of it so will need the outer cover.

Note when you do order they come in pairs left and right together.. unless i am mistaken and i will get only one.

My Cars
    K i don't think one needs the supporting plate #5 in the diagram but at 2 bucks each once should use it as it adds another place of anchor to the seat from the plastic.

The hardest part is taking the broken piece out installation is easier. I did take some pics but making a diy for it is redundant as this is already here (thanks to Joes540i)... if someone needs a pic of an item or part number or question post it here so others can benefit from it.

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740il
    I know this is an old thread... but I just followed Blue Bee's photos and instructions TODAY and solved the problem! It was INDEED the Seat Control Module that was to blame for the inability of adjusting the drivers seat and steering column. The connector on the module was cracked, and the wire harness connector was loose as a result. All I had to do was gently push the connector back into the Seat Control Module, and WALLA.... everything worked again! Thanks for all the help with this!

My Cars
    Blown 528i, KE30, Pathy
    Has anyone tried any method for the broken sleeves that hold the seat buttons in place? I took my seats to be re-wrapped and one of the buttons will not stay in place because that stupid thing broke. I have that "white skeleton" that Q mentions.
    Resident Third World Country Advisor

My Cars
    1997 BMW 740il

Seat Buttons Fix

Hello Eric,

The seat buttons are relatively inexpensive, so I would just buy a new one, rather than trying to fix the old one. eBay is your best bet to find them cheap, but if not, then the BMW Stealer should be not too expensive for these seat buttons.

My Cars
    2016 X5 SDrive M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by BMW Mad Man View Post
    Hello Eric,

The seat buttons are relatively inexpensive, so I would just buy a new one, rather than trying to fix the old one. eBay is your best bet to find them cheap, but if not, then the BMW Stealer should be not too expensive for these seat buttons.
    It's not the buttons he's asking about, it's the black plastic sleeve that the buttons snap onto. I've tried wrapping them in electrical tape to make them thicker, which works to some degree, but not perfect. Whatever you do, don't do what a friend of mine did...... GLUED them on.

My Cars
    1997 540ia
    Hi I have a 97 540 with the basic heated seats. My passenger seat is all the way back leaving no leg room in the back seat.

When the seat still had room it worked going backwards. I noticed that it didn't go forward early but passengers don't listen. All other seat adjustments work good. Does this give any clues to what it could be? It must be a wiring issue but I'm confused.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

Update:

I troubleshooted my power seat system and found that my motor does not work. Here is the thread I made.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...on-not-working
    Last edited by E39 Sean 540ia; 04-12-2013 at 12:13 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast