Thread: AA S/C and UDP question

My Cars
    2001 IR M3, 2004 Yamaha R6

AA S/C and UDP question

i've recently heard that you can't use the UUC UDPs in conjunction with the AA S/C. anyone know if there is any truth to that and if so, why not? thanks

My Cars
    2001 740i Sport, 1985 VW GTI
    All supercharger kits replace your crank pulley, that is one reason.
    "Some of the neighbors have been complaining about your car being too loud."

My Cars
    '08 S2000 Club Racer
    I was told the same thing
    MCoupeMike - AIM: MCoupeMike2K - 368S/8
    '00 Blown M Coupe
    '00 323Ci
    '98 Z3 2.8

My Cars
    None
    The AA SC Kits doesnt replace the crank pully.

My Cars
    88 5000 CS Avant
    That is not true, I have the original crank pulley on my AA setup. I knopw that AA spent a considerable amount of time sourcing a belt that would not slip, so there may be some issues with that related to changing pulley sizes.
    '91 Civic DX race car
    '08 M3

My Cars
    '08 S2000 Club Racer
    My understanding is that the AA kit uses the same belt that drives the waterpump / powersteering / alternator - with their kit - the UDP from UUC would not allow the belt to fit properly - which is critical in a proper supercharger setup (duh, I"m sure you all know that...)

Anyway - don't get too bent out of shape - I've have those UDP's too and think they are pretty much worthless - complete waste of $$ - I'll easily dump them in place of the supercharger!
    '00 Blown M Coupe
    '00 323Ci
    '98 Z3 2.8

My Cars
    If AA doesn't replace the crank pulley, what drives the blower?

My Cars
    2001 IR M3, 2004 Yamaha R6
    its still belt driven, just that it doesn't utilize an extended crank pulley like a powerdyne or vortec blower does. like on a dinan kit, the crank pulley is extended outward, which in turn causes you to have to move the fan clutch forward, then there is a seperate belt from the crank that drives the compressor only. the AA kit from what i understand is driven by the main belt...alt, water pump, PS.

My Cars
    So AA's supercharger uses a longer main belt and no no pulleys replaced at all? That would help them keep the price down, not having to include a couple of pulleys.

I assumed it ran off an extended crank pulley a la Dinan or RMS.

I would guess you wouldn't want to use UD pulleys in that case because it might upset the balance/tuning/whatever, or like the other guy said, cause the belt to slip.

Besides, once you go for big-ticket and big-horsepower upgrades (like superchargers) you see little stuff like underdrive pulleys for what they are - little or no gain for way too much money.

My Cars
    '08 S2000 Club Racer
    New news - according to the post on the group buy - you indeed CAN use the UUC UDP's with the setup. You just need to inform AA when you order and they will fit you with the proper belt size.

Cool.... one less thing for me to deal with during installation....
    '00 Blown M Coupe
    '00 323Ci
    '98 Z3 2.8